Please stop asking for the ball first if you win the coin flip

Proof

Reaction score
We don’t know if there’s a 1% advantage though. And if they score TDs on possessions 1 and 4, and you score em on 2 and 3, you’re still tied. Stacking didn’t help. The concurrence has to make scoring easier somehow, and I don’t see how it does.

Sorry I misread. I was saying even if only one percent of those that chose to defer got the ball to close and open the halves that’s enough reason.

As far as scoring on possessions regardless where they are I get it, the idea of scoring back to back is absolutely more appealing tho. From a momentum standpoint, a psychological standpoint, for game planning and play calling etc. there’s a reason something like 70-80 pct of coaches do it

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There isn't an advantage to be gained, either way, really.
yes there is, it depends on how good your offense is and how good the opposing defense is.

with a weak offense like ours, it would be better to not have the ball 1st.
if they go 3 and out and punt the other team will have good field position for first drive.
Flip that if we kick and can hold the other team with our now better defense.

JG could look at it like we get more possessions by taking ball 1st. I would always want to kick 1st, but it isnt always your choice.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I guess my biggest problem with it is the coaching staff puts absolutely no thought into using the coin flip for any sort of strategic advantage whatsoever. If we are playing a great defense and poor offense maybe we want the defense to set the tone early and try to create better field position for the first drive, as an example.

One size fits all approach with Garrett. Nothing surprising.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
One could say half-time adjustments + getting the after the half lets you control the pace from there. I'd hate for the opponent to get the ball if they got hot before the half. Rather slow down the game and potentially kill some of their momentum.
I agree, especially if you can score right before the half. Huge momentum gain IMO.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Garrett is only comfortable when they get a lead and then he spends the rest of the game trying to hold it.

None of his boilerplate game plans work if he has to play catch up.

pacboyX

Reaction score
There isn't an advantage to be gained, either way, really.

Having a better defense then offense means we could stop them, start with better field position potentially go into half with small lead. Then get ball at half and extend lead, that’s idea of going defense first. Especially if your defense is your strength.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The reverse of all those things is also true. The benefit of playing with a lead from the get go? The benefit of taking a home crowd out of a game early? Seeing how the game is going helps if you’re competitive, but if you’re behind because you deferred the kick early? You end up like us v GB in the playoffs in 2016.

Scoring before half is always great...whether you kicked off or received.

It’s a disadvantage as much as an advantage. Possessions are possessions. It’s a chance to score, no matter when they come.

This is one of those “agree to disagree” moments.

After the half you have a feel for the game and what you’re doing well and not well and change accordingly.(for the purpose of this discussion no lack of adjustment jokes from others please)

Also, i don’t believe you take a good home crowd out of the game with the first score. No doubt they’ll be out of the game when they are out of the game getting hot dogs.

So at the very least away I see no way you’d take the ball.

Dre11

Reaction score
You always defer.... the other side may choose to go D first and you could get the ball both halves

Belichick has made a science of scoring late in the first half and coming out quickly in the second half and scoring while the fans are still in the bathroom and beer lines

No you don't, Belicheck has The best qb in the game, it doesn't matter if he gets the ball first or not. Stop feeding these bs narratives....lol

Dre11

Reaction score
Having a better defense then offense means we could stop them, start with better field position potentially go into half with small lead. Then get ball at half and extend lead, that’s idea of going defense first. Especially if your defense is your strength.

Doesn't matter, you get the ball first, go score, it has the same effect. if the defense is good, it will stop them in the beginning of the game, or coming out of the half. This is laughable....lol

Dre11

Reaction score
This is one of those “agree to disagree” moments.

After the half you have a feel for the game and what you’re doing well and not well and change accordingly.(for the purpose of this discussion no lack of adjustment jokes from others please)

Also, i don’t believe you take a good home crowd out of the game with the first score. No doubt they’ll be out of the game when they are out of the game getting hot dogs.

So at the very least away I see no way you’d take the ball.

Scoring first has the same effect, get a lead you hold the lead, you make the team play from behind. They score first, now you're playing from behind.

There's no advantage either way...lol

Dre11

Reaction score

You said "could" and if you don't? Now you're playing from behind

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
Might have a better chance of putting a drive together with a half under your belt.

Better idea of what's working and what's not.
This is exactly how I feel.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's just another moronic decision that never pays dividends. If you can close the half with a score and get the ball in the 3rd that's great momentum that you're handing to the other team. They're much better off getting the ball after the half rather than choosing to receive in the 1st.

Last edited:

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
How many times have we seen the 'Boys lose a lead or momentum going into the half and then see the opposition score to open the 2nd half? We've seen it plenty. I'm a big proponent of getting your pregame jitters out of the way with your defense on the field rather than watching your offense waste the opportunity. It's always appeared to me that it's been an automatic call to take the ball to open the game, low effort thinking on Mr. Garrett's part.

CB61

Reaction score
Plesse stop asking for the ball first if you win the coin flip. The defense is the strength of the team.
Have to agree with that seems like we always get burned in the second half by not doing this especially since our defense seems to be the strong point right now let them start the game

CB61

Reaction score
If this is an issue for a team, then that team is not very good.
Yep I believe you are right on this one shouldn't really matter it's just a strategy but it couldn't hurt to try changing strategies this coach has a hard time doing that obviously cannot make in-game adjustments or halftime adjustments of course that's because halftime is filled with going to the bathroom and other necessities other than winning the football game

Big_D

Reaction score
This is a problem. If one doesn't really work, shouldn't you try the other at some point? Or just on occasion do something different? If you're playing an offense that's been having problems? great opportunity to make something happen NOPE, same deal over and over and over and over.. and some don't see an issue here?