FEATURED Poll: Grade the Cowboys off-season

What grade would you give the FO for this year’s off-season free agency, draft and contracts?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leeblair

Reaction score
With training camp and pre-season at its beginning, looking back on the spring off-season of free agency, the draft and contracts, what grade would you give the Cowboys front office? I’m using a traditional A-F grading scale.

Tell us why you issued the grade assigned.
I put C.
Because it's too soon for a grade.
If they re-sign Prescott, it's an F-
If not, it's a B.
That one issue will decide the fate of the Cowboys for the next few years, if not longer.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
F They did nothing. Didn't improve the running game. Instead they brought an old Zeke back. Didn't improve our run defense. Didn't sign C.D. If they were going to sign Dak they should have did it before now. If they cave in to him I'll give them an F-. They brought our coach back with no extension. Was MIA in FA. I could go on and on.

Last edited:

Blackspider214

Reaction score
F. Did zero to improve the areas of need. Behind the 8ball in the market for Dak, Parsons and Lamb.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The way this offseason was managed by the FO had a reason behind it. Unfortunately, that reason was caused by the FO, so they don't get a pass for doing what had to be done this offseason. It's a mixed bag, not all bad and not all good. I give them a C.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
D.

B+ • The draft was great, except for not getting a running back.
F • Free agency was the worst I’ve ever seen any team have since I’ve been watching (1971).
F • How is it possible every coach, even new ones, have contracts that end in January?
F • Distractions, even from the “GM” have been too much, unfocused and undisciplined top - down.
F • Contract extensions are a disaster, by waiting it seems like they’re actually trying to pay more!

if it wasn’t for an outstanding draft, I’d give an F.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s tough for me to give an accumulative grade cause the jury is still out so I passed. Easier for me to break down all 3.

Free Agency- D+
While we didn’t make any big signings we did let go of several key players that was needed who basically were Cap casualties. Solid talent but had outlived their worth on their contracts.

Draft- B
While we didn’t get a RB we appear to have had a solid draft otherwise . Too early to tell. This grade could easily drop .

Contracts- F
So far. But it’s too early to make that call. It could become an A or B before season begins.

Overall I’d guess pending the importance we had in each area which is tough to measure. Like what is more important ? FA, Draft or Contracts . Draft and Contracts could both turn out to be A or B which totally elevates overall grade from probably D now to a B.

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
D

The Zimmer defense is hopefully an improvement. Was his hire a hire that excited me? Not really. However, if they keep forcing turnovers, are more disciplined, and are better in the run game the defense will be good enough to win plenty of games.

The draft is too early to call. There are some players I like, but we’ll see what happens in camp. A few picks they made were questionable in my opinion considering the other good prospects on the board who filled blatantly obvious needs (running back).

The handling of free agency was an F for me. I understand the hesitation in signing the QB, but not Lamb. The fact that Lamb isn’t signed yet is pretty ridiculous to me. Parsons is a controversial guy on this forum, but I want him signed too. If he has a big year, he’s just going to cost more money. Plus, signing Zeke and not even offering Henry a contract is… definitely questionable.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s not the worst I’ve ever seen, but there were more than a few times I thought, “There’s no way they’re going to… oh they did.”

D

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s not the worst I’ve ever seen, but there were more than a few times I thought, “There’s no way they’re going to… oh they did.”

D
It’s the worse offseason I’ve ever seen with the Cowboys. They did practically nothing in free agency. Their biggest free agent signing was Zeke. The only way they can improve their offseason grade is if the draft pays dividends this season.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
C.
I liked the solid draft, but then they quit. No attempt to fix the DT situation, and a half hearted attempt at RB/Zeke.
Mazi is a total unknown at this time, and they drafted a 7th round DT and no FA for DT either. For a team as weak against the run as the Cowboys, their attempt to fix it was just as weak. :thumbdown:

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D (but will change to a C if they fix a few things before the season opener - see below)

Started off by not firing McCarthy. UGH!

Made NO attempt to solve Dak, CeeDee and Parsons contracts.

Made NO attempt to add a legit RB1 to the roster.

Jerry still shooting his mouth off and acting a fool.

Loved the draft. The only good part of the off season so far.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
C+
-
Hired a DC who cares about more than sacks and will improve the run defense and overall toughness.
- Emphasis in the draft on improving the OL and run game. These 3 rookies will make us up better at key positions for the future.
- Draft emphasis on the front 7 at LB, DE, and DT…again, all players who are stronger and will improve run defense.
- Still managed to add to the WR room and the CB position with quality/value.
- Brought in a tough, experienced MLB to guide the defense on the field and bride to youth.
- Allowed the weakest OL spot up the middle and the backup DEs walk rather than throwing silly money at them; also true at RB and WR.
- If they manage to sign Lamb and sign Dak or find a legit veteran replacement, I’ll have no real complaints and will give them a B.

A quality veteran at DT would have been expensive, so I’m okay with them not going there, but I sincerely wish they had picked up a more proven vet RB with a little juice……However, the roster building is not complete yet, and this could still happen before game 1.

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
I gave a C to Jerry for not wasting BIG MONEY on these players that talk I wanna be the highest paid, Sick of hearing it...These players don't wanna win that trophy, they wanna get paid $$$$$$$$$$