Poll: Will they extend Dak by March 13th?

POLL: Will Dak be extended by March 13th?

• Total voters

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Not sure I follow what you’re saying. So you’re saying he doesn’t cost the Cowboys cap 59 million?
Now you're changing the dialog. You said this, "If you cut him you don’t have to pay 59 million right? Why do you care what he pockets?"

The reality is, you don't have to pay Dak 59 million, whether you cut him or keep him on the last year of his contract. Dak would pocket nothing if he was cut, or 35ish million if he plays the last year with no extension.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry agreed to pay Dak $60 million this season. Why does everyone think he won't, when it was his idea?
You do understand why teams structure contracts the way they do, yes? Sign big deal, little upfront(means instant cap relief) and backload the deal. ALL teams do this.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yea, expectations were high for many fans. I never bought into the hype and the way we played down the stretch didn’t think we deserved the 2 seed which basically fell in our lap after Egirls collapse and Dumb Dan ridiculous 2 point conversion addiction.

But we should have given GB a better game. Love and the Packers played much better down the stretch and he looks like one of the next good QB’s coming up. They took SF to the brink as well who then lucked out with Dumb Dan and horrible risk game mgmt.

But I still see the 2014 Dez catch that wasn’t as the most heartbreaking playoff loss this era. That’s the one I thought that offense was best this era. Romo’s most effective season. Murray leading rusher. Definitely a championship caliber offense. And maybe enough to carry average defense. And we had beaten Seattle earlier . Would have liked our chances there.

2007 and 2016 were other disappointments with a legit shot at reaching championship game with 1 seed.

But none of this eras disappointments rank with the heartbreaks of prior eras in Devastating losses when we absolutely had championship caliber teams. Worst losses in Cowboys history which I’ve lived thru and witnessed every one of them beginning with 1967 NFL title loss. SB V, SB X, SB XIII, 81 and then 94 champ game.
I was at that Dez Catch game.... it was heartbreaking for me and me daughter leaving that stadium.

Steve007

Reaction score
You threw up in the morning....you aren't craving sour pickles with peanut butter, are you.

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks, I'll say it again. If he plays hardball cut him or make Lance the starter, that will probably get him to waive his no trade. If he is willing to do a team friendly deal, do it and add some pieces. He's not Mahomes, but he's better than most.

To answer the question, I think he gets resigned. Jerry doesn't like to be told he is wrong.
If Dak was willing to sign a team friendly deal it would have already been done. I think the Cowboys will make the mistake again and overpay Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Now you're changing the dialog. You said this, "If you cut him you don’t have to pay 59 million right? Why do you care what he pockets?"

The reality is, you don't have to pay Dak 59 million, whether you cut him or keep him on the last year of his contract. Dak would pocket nothing if he was cut, or 35ish million if he plays the last year with no extension.
But I’m talking about what it costs the Cowboys not what Dak pockets lol….are you being for real? What relevance does what he pocket have to do with you or the Cowboys? You knew exactly what I meant.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I can’t believe I’m saying this. But no, they won’t. And it’s the right decision. If they haven’t started negotiating now, it’s not in the cards. Daks agent bent them over last time, these negotiations don’t take two days. I’ll say no.
I pray you are right

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
But I’m talking about what it costs the Cowboys not what Dak pockets lol….are you being for real? What relevance does what he pocket have to do with you or the Cowboys? You knew exactly what I meant.
Dude, these are your exact words, "If you cut him you don’t have to pay 59 million right? Why do you care what he pockets?"

Apparently that wasn't exactly what you meant..... LOL

Chasing6

Reaction score
But even then we can't afford (nor Jones has even looked at) the star level game changing FA's like Chris Jones' .
Dak, play out the contract, prove you can perform in the play-offs and we'll see about a contract in 2025....AFTER THE LAST THREE YEARS, WE ARENT CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO GO ALL-IN BEHIND YOU.
We'd probably be better off spending money on a QB Whisperer, to calm Dak down in stressful situations.
That is called a legit running game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 more days, we may find out. Even though they don't have to do anything at all at that time.

When Dez was released, wasn't it like a week after FA started? They did him a disservice by waiting actually.

bigE79

Reaction score
Well, we have 1 week to go till March 13th (opening of Fa's market) will there be an extension deal for Dak?
Doesn't matter either way at this point,he will never get us to the sb and only the cowboy fans will suffer.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Doesn't matter either way at this point,he will never get us to the sb and only the cowboy fans will suffer.
We’ve been suffering a long time. About 20 years before Dak arrived. And I expect it will go on for years after Dak , at least another decade or more pending Mother Nature.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Okay let's make the numbers simple.
In 2024 Dak has
Salary - 29,000 000 not guaranteed
Prorated signing bonus - 13,200,000
Roster bonus - 5,000,000
Prorated restructure - 12,255,000
Total cap cost - 59,455,000

If cut or traded
Total cap cost - 61,915,000 and why because
2025 Prorated bonus of 13,200,000
2025 Prorated restructure of 12, 255,000
2026 Prorated restructure of 11,005,000
Which hit cap if cut or traded

The only money he doesn't have yet is the 2024 salary of 29,000,000.

If the just restructure his 2024 salary for cap purposes then his Total depends on the restructure amount. All it means us that the cap next year would be some 50,000,000 and he would be gone and at most we get a 3rd round choice in 2026 draft.

Pretty simple math.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
In 2024 Dak has
Roster bonus - 5,000,000

If cut or traded

If the just restructure his 2024 salary for cap purposes then his Total depends on the restructure amount. All it means us that the cap next year would be some 50,000,000 and he would be gone and at most we get a 3rd round choice in 2026 draft.

Pretty simple math.
I think the Cowboys and going to let Dak play out his deal this season, no extension.

The cap going up higher than expected really saved their bacon, now with the Martin restructure and giving Gallup permission to seek a trade, the Boyz will have enough cap space now to sign their draft picks and some bargin bin free agents. The Cowboys are never active in free agency so they really dont need any cap space for that, just their picks and some late bargin bin signings like they usually do that are dirt cheap.

2024 looks like its going to be "all in" for Fat Mike and Dak.............make a deep playoff run or yall are both gone !!!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Cowboys and going to let Dak play out his deal this season, no extension.

The cap going up higher than expected really saved their bacon, now with the Martin restructure and giving Gallup permission to seek a trade, the Boyz will have enough cap space now to sign their draft picks and some bargin bin free agents. The Cowboys are never active in free agency so they really dont need any cap space for that, just their picks and some late bargin bin signings like they usually do that are dirt cheap.

2024 looks like its going to be "all in" for Fat Mike and Dak.............make a deep playoff run or yall are both gone !!!
2024 Will have Fat Mike fired and Dak benched by season's end. :cool:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I didn’t vote cause I don’t think the March 13th is a critical date.

It’s become just another talking point.

If they don’t get him signed by training camp or preseason then the Dak era is probably over.
Let's pray

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
In 2024 Dak has
Roster bonus - 5,000,000

If cut or traded

Pretty simple math.
Yet I'm so so so confused