Poll: Will they extend Dak by March 13th?

POLL: Will Dak be extended by March 13th?

• Total voters

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Is there even a deadline for his extension?
Yeah, what's up with that? Why the hurry? It's not like teams will line up for that contract or the player. And if so, he has a NTC. It's not like he'd go to any team I guess.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
2024 Will have Fat Mike fired and Dak benched by season's end. :cool:
Yep, 2024 will be a 'prove it year' for Dak, a year where the talent around him which befits a bloated/elite QB contract.
If he succeeds he gets that 'top draw' (career ending) contract in 2025 .....with it structured in such a way that we can go heavily All-In for a couple of years.
If we fail, MM, the whole 1 year coaching team aren't retained and Dak can hit the market in a vain hope a team overpays a good regular season QB that won't get you to the next level.
Jerry has made 2024 an interesting season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yep .. and probably why this contract negotiations will play out longer than most anticipated cause it’s going to set a new Market price.

I’d imagine Dak is willing to let it play out if he’s not offered the deal he’s looking for. Worse case scenario he becomes a FA after the season.

And if Jethro waits to see how the season and playoffs play out it could be too late to get a deal done. But I don’t think Dak needs to prove anything to our FO , coaching staff or team. Just the fans and media. Typical public perception. It’s why so many players and ex players come out in support. Based on what they’ve seen think he’s enough. That doesn’t necessarily mean he will be. Not everyone fulfills their potential.

No, my hunch is a deal gets done by Camp or preseason . If it goes into the regular season , it’s probably over. I just can’t see Jethro ready to move on from Dak but anything is possible.
Agree with a lot of what you've said, apart from Dak not having to prove anything to the FO.....if that were the case he'd already be signed.
The way this is apparently playing out is that we don't want to move on from him, but we sure as heck aren't confident that we can go All-In on him.
Last year was supposedly the 'show me year' , it ended with that question mark still hanging over him (his personal performance, in adversity)....it appears the FO (and myself) are willing to give him another chance....but he has to show he can overcome his repeated failings.
In a way it's not the losing that's the main query, but how he plays in those circumstances.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree with a lot of what you've said, apart from Dak not having to prove anything to the FO.....if that were the case he'd already be signed.
The way this is apparently playing out is that we don't want to move on from him, but we sure as heck aren't confident that we can go All-In on him.
Last year was supposedly the 'show me year' , it ended with that question mark still hanging over him (his personal performance, in adversity)....it appears the FO (and myself) are willing to give him another chance....but he has to show he can overcome his repeated failings.
In a way it's not the losing that's the main query, but how he plays in those circumstances.
I’d argue the stall is merely about the money not whether Jethro is All In.

If we wait to see if he overcomes the playoff woes it could be too late as he might want to entertain FA with huge contract.

Much like last time , the longer we wait the more it’s likely going to cost us.

If we need to see more then that means we aren’t sold on him which would be reflective of some fans not a sound FO analysis.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d argue the stall is merely about the money not whether Jethro is All In.

If we wait to see if he overcomes the playoff woes it could be too late as he might want to entertain FA with huge contract.

If we need to see more then that means we aren’t sold on him which would be reflective of some fans not a sound FO analysis.
His last contract took 2 years to be done.
After 3 in a row playoff CHOKE jobs, how long do you give him now?
The indications that his fellow players have lost faith in him in?
Yes, CD Mom's like or not is tweeting her son's points of view.
Did you see how CD reacted in the GB playoff game when he knew the Deer in the Headlights had reappeared?
Man at best this is his last season wearing the Star on his helmet.
This is the reality of the situation the rest is just dreaming and ya dreaming is allowed as it's free!

Carson

Reaction score
Yeah, what's up with that? Why the hurry? It's not like teams will line up for that contract or the player. And if so, he has a NTC. It's not like he'd go to any team I guess.
The March 13th deadline is so Dallas can be active in free agency.

If you don’t extend him until late it’s stupid. If you wait until August let him play he deal out because the roster is going to set

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Me either. I don't know what the connection is between them but it's not healthy for the Cowboys.
I guess it depends on if we see any potential healthy situation with our dysfunctional ownership but Jethro has never wanted to draft heir apparents. He admitted so with Romo when he addressed why he wouldn’t draft Manziel that morning of the draft.

I have little faith or confidence in our ownership finding a better replacement this year. The two top draft picks they were looking at this era was Manziel and Lynch. And if you want to start swinging for years to try and find another QB then we have to be prepared for even less success than we are having now which from a business standpoint is risky and potentially presents more challenges.

I haven’t been a big supporter of Dak or Romo this era but I see them more as falling into our lap propping up a poorly ran franchise which would have probably otherwise been more of a bottom feeder without a viable franchise qb at all.

We all would love to have an Elite QB . Like every team that doesn’t have one . But there’s basically two types of teams in the NFL. One which is looking for a franchise QB( which isn’t necessarily an Elite QB) or one which is trying to build around one best they can .

No doubt it’s easier to build around an Elite QB but when you find a Franchise QB who’s enough to become a perineal playoff contender you don’t totally scrap that unless you have an heir apparent ready to take over or injury forces your hand .

What we should have done if we were that unhappy with Dak is draft and develop one so when this situation arises we’d be ready to move on with more certainty than the unknown we’d have now.

I understand we are all frustrated with the lack of success in the playoffs . Unfortunately I just don’t see another way forward at this time without risking we take a major step backward.

And I get some fans don’t care if we have to start over or rebuild , etc if we aren’t going further in the playoffs but from an ownerships stance you just don’t risk taking a step back with the unknown in hopes of taking a step ahead.

Instead you go with what got you this far and continue trying to build around that while hoping the core eventually gets over the hump. No one has a crystal ball and no one knows if that will ever happen. The longer we go it’s probably less likely but I’d argue considering our ownership and history this era finding and pursuing QB’s Id probably stay the course and hope for the best.

I know and I get the opposing argument but as I said I have little faith. And I’d recommend moving forward to draft QB’s more regularly attempting to be grooming a heir apparent until we hit big. It’s a major flaw with this ownership.

Swagger

Reaction score
The Chiefs want to win. Mahomes took a team friendly long term deal enabling them to sign Chris Jones who also took a team friendly deal to stay on...whilst Dak Prescott took a 4 year deal for $160 million and will likely look for $180 million over 3 years...some teams have winners who win and others have losers more interested in $

TheHerd

Reaction score
The question was “will they or won’t they”, not “should they or shouldn’t they”.

I hope they don’t but I can’t bring myself to believe this wasn’t just the normal media posturing.
This is why I voted yes. Jerry can’t help himself. Do we count adding the voidable years? That’s the likely course of action.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
His last contract took 2 years to be done.
After 3 in a row playoff CHOKE jobs, how long do you give him now?
The indications that his fellow players have lost faith in him in?
Yes, CD Mom's like or not is tweeting her son's points of view.
Did you see how CD reacted in the GB playoff game when he knew the Deer in the Headlights had reappeared?
Man at best this is his last season wearing the Star on his helmet.
This is the reality of the situation the rest is just dreaming and ya dreaming is allowed as it's free!
I always try to provide opinions on how I see our leadership decision process not my own views or those from a fans lens . I provided some of my own views in post above as this will prob be long enough.

Personally Im not attached to Dak but I do see how our ownership could be . And that’s the view and perspective I try to provide .

There’s no evidence the players have given up on Dak nor the coaching staff or ownership. Many notable ex players who we’d normally respect their opinion have provided their support.

Basically it’s just frustrated fans and media playing on those emotions with talking points to stir it up. And most of those speaking out have never really supported Dak.

I don’t know how long you give him. I would have gone a different direction years ago. I would have put Romo back in 2016. But again Jethro has seen it much differently.

Dak provides Jethro a stable playoff contender despite the early exits who is not only popular amongst most fans but provides Jethro a consistent product he can hype and promote his iconic brand.

This damage control after the playoffs is much easier for him to deal with than 12 loss seasons.

You’re probably not interested in serious discussions over why we have stayed the course with a QB who hasn’t had more success in the playoffs but I can provide you thought and perspective why there is still much support out there and why our ownership is still willing.

To answer your question I’d expect Jethro to give Dak as long as he’s able to remain relative and playoff contender which is good for business . When that changes then he’d be ready.

I doubt the market price busting contract will deter Jethro. It might delay him. We can all hope it does but based on my history observing Jethro and his history running football operations I’d be shocked if he decides to walk. It would go against everything I’ve read and followed here locally and my closet Cowboy friends and contacts which is Dak isn’t going anywhere.

I know that’s not what you want to hear nor many fans even those who are on the fence or unsure whether he can ever break thru. But unfortunately part of being a Cowboys fan this era is kinda waving that white flag that our owner’s priorities are out of whack. That the Bar has been lowered as a result. We hate that’s happened but nothing we can do about it but complain and lower our expectations.

Most in my circle of long time fans are apathetic and have little faith we’ll see another championship under Jethro’s dysfunctional GM control . The Dak era is just an extension of this not its core cause which begun years before and likely will continue after.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So what you're saying is that we should sign Dak now, because he'll be cheaper than next year.....such a backwards way to do business....are you Jerry in disguise?
Make Dak earn it, because the 3 play-off loses all came about, in part, to his inability to step up when it mattered. Giving him the QB resetting contract now is a gamble....ive no problem paying him in 2025 IF HE EARNS IT.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chiefs want to win. Mahomes took a team friendly long term deal enabling them to sign Chris Jones who also took a team friendly deal to stay on.
Well.....a restructure in 2023 changed that calculus, as Mahomes now makes $52.65 million annually through the 2026 season. How that helped enabled them to sign Jones to about $32M per year is a mystery to me.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what you're saying is that we should sign Dak now, because he'll be cheaper than next year.....such a backwards way to do business....are you Jerry in disguise?
Make Dak earn it, because the 3 play-off loses all came about, in part, to his inability to step up when it mattered. Giving him the QB resetting contract now is a gamble....ive no problem paying him in 2025 IF HE EARNS IT.
Haven't you heard that Dakko going into next season without a contract is taking us to the Superbowl?
He will accomplish this with a less talented team around him and teammates who have very little faith he can carry the team to playoff glory.
Watch our friend here as he is a deep die-hard Dak fan even though he has tried to hide this fact for years now.
He's not Jerry but if he was he would give Dak a 5 year 300 million deal in a heartbeat.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I always try to provide opinions on how I see our leadership decision process not my own views or those from a fans lens . I provided some of my own views in post above as this will prob be long enough.

Personally Im not attached to Dak but I do see how our ownership could be . And that’s the view and perspective I try to provide .

There’s no evidence the players have given up on Dak nor the coaching staff or ownership. Many notable ex players who we’d normally respect their opinion have provided their support.

Basically it’s just frustrated fans and media playing on those emotions with talking points to stir it up. And most of those speaking out have never really supported Dak.

I don’t know how long you give him. I would have gone a different direction years ago. I would have put Romo back in 2016. But again Jethro has seen it much differently.

Dak provides Jethro a stable playoff contender despite the early exits who is not only popular amongst most fans but provides Jethro a consistent product he can hype and promote his iconic brand.

This damage control after the playoffs is much easier for him to deal with than 12 loss seasons.

You’re probably not interested in serious discussions over why we have stayed the course with a QB who hasn’t had more success in the playoffs but I can provide you thought and perspective why there is still much support out there and why our ownership is still willing.

To answer your question I’d expect Jethro to give Dak as long as he’s able to remain relative and playoff contender which is good for business . When that changes then he’d be ready.

I doubt the market price busting contract will deter Jethro. It might delay him. We can all hope it does but based on my history observing Jethro and his history running football operations I’d be shocked if he decides to walk. It would go against everything I’ve read and followed here locally and my closet Cowboy friends and contacts which is Dak isn’t going anywhere.

I know that’s not what you want to hear nor many fans even those who are on the fence or unsure whether he can ever break thru. But unfortunately part of being a Cowboys fan this era is kinda waving that white flag that our owner’s priorities are out of whack. That the Bar has been lowered as a result. We hate that’s happened but nothing we can do about it but complain and lower our expectations.

Most in my circle of long time fans are apathetic and have little faith we’ll see another championship under Jethro’s dysfunctional GM control . The Dak era is just an extension of this not its core cause which begun decades before and likely will continue after.
Jethro's dysfunctionality IS highlighted in his inability to look objectively on the players contribution on the field, rather look at the financial aspect. It's you that's made his mind up that you want Dak, regardless of performance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Chiefs want to win. Mahomes took a team friendly long term deal enabling them to sign Chris Jones who also took a team friendly deal to stay on...whilst Dak Prescott took a 4 year deal for $160 million and will likely look for $180 million over 3 years...some teams have winners who win and others have losers more interested in $
I’d argue that money is priority for all. Perhaps some have more hope their organization can surround them with more support .

The Chiefs were smart enough and committed to present a 10 year deal which at the time was biggest contract ever. Mahomes talent and success help provide that commitment.

We don’t ever see players who aren’t on championship teams take team friendly deals.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro's dysfunctionality IS highlighted in his inability to look objectively on the players contribution on the field, rather look at the financial aspect. It's you that's made his mind up that you want Dak, regardless of performance.
I agree. And why I’ve argued Jethro’s priorities are out of whack. And why we must view from a different perspective or lens.

What’s unproductive in our eyes isn’t necessarily seen the same in his eyes.

I’ve just conceded to the dysfunction by Jethro.
I waved my white flag years ago and adjusted my expectations.