Pollard and Eckler Tandem at RB

MojaveJT

Reaction score
RB committee with 2 average backs. Sounds like a good plan. Not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would take that tandem all day long. Eckler just signed a 4 years deal at about 5 million per year. Him and pollard would be an incredible duo not costing us more than 6 million. Free up another 9 million from the RB position.

Just another let’s try and win a Super Bowl on a budget thread. Yeah, let’s go with an RB by committee with a couple of backs who combined haven’t scored as many TDs as Zeke did last season. If it was up to some of you we would have a backup QB leading this team along with a couple of backup RBs and a number two WR as our number one.

Proof

Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't see the point of your post,, Zeke is the RB1 on this team, and Pollard is a much better RB2 than Eckler ever will or would be.
If I missed the premise, please enlighten me.

Are you very familiar with Ekeler? It sounds like you’re not

Loso86

Reaction score
I would take that tandem all day long. Eckler just signed a 4 years deal at about 5 million per year. Him and pollard would be an incredible duo not costing us more than 6 million. Free up another 9 million from the RB position.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
We don't draft Zeke in 2016, Romo goes down, Kellen Moore goes down, Dak plays but sucks without Zeke.

Cowboy's finish 3-13, draft Mahomes in 2017 to groom as Romo's replacement :)

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Its not an idea its an observation. The observation that a back like Eckler can be had for 5-6 million per season. And you can team him with a 4th round pick RB and have a great backfield. Spending 15 million on one drunken back is ridiculous. Especially one that needs an all world Oline to do his job well.

Now to Eckler……….…….how much do you follow Eckler and the Chargers backfield situation? if you had, you would know the answer to that question. Take a look at what Eckler did the first 8 games of last season when he was the full time back before Melvin Gordon ended his holdout. The guy can ball. He has pretty much done that EVERY time Gordon has been out.

You’re doing a lot of speculation.

last year combined Ekeler and Pollard broke the 100 yard mark EITHER rushing or receiving a total of 6 times in 32 total games.

Zeke had 7 himself.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When cost cutting moves involve moving on from your starting QB, RB and top WR and replacing them with backups count me out!

dckid

Reaction score
Someone should have told Jerry last year. Eckler is a great back. We all know RB’s are a dime a dozen but we can only play the hand we are dealt.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Someone should have told Jerry last year. Eckler is a great back. We all know RB’s are a dime a dozen but we can only play the hand we are dealt.

No he is not a great back. Austin Ekeler is a very good third down back. He works well in that complimentary role. He is not an every down back. He would be a nice compliment to Elliott. If Pollard continues to develop, he too can end up being a good compliment to Elliott.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Sorry but I just don't see the point of your post,, Zeke is the RB1 on this team, and Pollard is a much better RB2 than Eckler ever will or would be.
If I missed the premise, please enlighten me.

This! Was like did they trade Zeke and I was Rip Van Winkle, plus a Eckler and Pollard team is not better than a Zeke and Pollard team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he is not a great back. Austin Ekeler is a very good third down back. He works well in that complimentary role. He is not an every down back. He would be a nice compliment to Elliott. If Pollard continues to develop, he too can end up being a good compliment to Elliott.
The Chargers aren't giving the big money to Gordon. So despite the big season Ekeler had, watch them grab a RB early in the draft. It will prove they don't think he is a RB1 like Zeke.

exciter

Reaction score
So what??? You're advocating we trade Pollard!

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I definitely don't know how to spell Ekeler. LOL You are my hero, truly.

I have no problem with a RB by committee and a one two punch of Ekeler and Pollard would be amazing and 9 million cheaper. That was the point.

I cant help it if you don't keep up on other backs around the NFL. Ekeler has killed it for the most part whenever Gordon has been out.
Zeke is a very good back, but definitely not worth 15 million. And he is a drunken fool that lacks leadership qualities and maturity. Never seen a back lose a step in his 4th year.

You are not too bright, believing that having Ekeler and Pollard would cost 9mil, based solely on his his worth to the Chargers and Pollard's second year.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Chargers aren't giving the big money to Gordon. So despite the big season Ekeler had, watch them grab a RB early in the draft. It will prove they don't think he is a RB1 like Zeke.
You can try over and over attempting to explain the difference between a RB1,RB2, even RB3 and those that argue this point have zero understanding of the difference, its just a different name but the RB should be the same right?
I have engaged so many arguments over this difference that I have become exhausted, some fans just do not understand the difference between, or the scheme change between RB1 and RB2, esp those unfamiliar with the new direction that their favorite team is moving which will bring a west coast influence, I know that's old school, and not even deserving of a title or a name, since all the smart teams have been employing the scheme by having both of those backs for years now.
I believe that Jerry actually sat down with Kellen Moore, and Kellen educated Jerry how obvious, how important it is to utilize the RB2 and how it radically can transcend an offence to elite status, and Jerry listened, and why Moore was retained,, just a theory but makes sense.
Those of you that do not understand the difference between sledge hammer RBs and the exotic change of pace back,, lots of change of pace backs, few Pollard or Ekeler type..
You really don't belong in these discussions until you have taken the time to educate yourselves.

Proof

Reaction score
Yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose... he a good RB2, just used much more effectively than Pollard.

wasn’t about the misspelling, just seemed odd timing to kinda discredit him after the season he just had

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
wasn’t about the misspelling, just seemed odd timing to kinda discredit him after the season he just had
Ekeler had an exceptional season because he was schemed right, and Gordon was out for 5 games.
This entire thread is nonsense.
Its a would a coulda shoulda,, maybe not, from the OP.
I never said Ekeler was a bad RB2, he is a great RB2, but the Chargers will be drafting a RB1, so that they can make Ekeler an exceptional RB2,, and I already know that wont make a lot of sence to a lot of posters here.
Just like Pollard would be a bust as an RB1, but has the potential to be one of the best RB2s in the league.

Proof

Reaction score
Ekeler had an exceptional season because he was schemed right, and Gordon was out for 5 games.
This entire thread is nonsense.
Its a would a coulda shoulda,, maybe not, from the OP.
I never said Ekeler was a bad RB2, he is a great RB2, but the Chargers will be drafting a RB1, so that they can make Ekeler an exceptional RB2,, and I already know that wont make a lot of sence to a lot of posters here.
Just like Pollard would be a bust as an RB1, but has the potential to be one of the best RB2s in the league.

yeah I don’t agree with the premise of the thread, but you did kinda make it sound like Ekeler was bad with the “Pollard is a better rb2 than Ekeler will or ever could be”. When he had a far better season than pollard even once Gordon returned. I love Pollard, just found it odd. All good

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
yeah I don’t agree with the premise of the thread, but you did kinda make it sound like Ekeler was bad with the “Pollard is a better rb2 than Ekeler will or ever could be”. When he had a far better season than pollard even once Gordon returned. I love Pollard, just found it odd. All good
I probably did come off that way, both are really good RB2 types in a schemes that accentuate, Ekeler more so than Pollard, but only because Pollard was collared.
I believe MM knows he has an exceptional weapon in Pollard and we will all enjoy watching him flourish with a new regime that will hopefully let Moore employ what he already knows will work.
The frustrations. roadblocks that Garrett had placed has ruined, stagnated several very talented players that could have have been much more.
Im looking forward to seeing talent being utilized properly.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score
I probably did come off that way, both are really good RB2 types in a schemes that accentuate, Ekeler more so than Pollard, but only because Pollard was collared.
I believe MM knows he has an exceptional weapon in Pollard and we will all enjoy watching him flourish with a new regime that will hopefully let Moore employ what he already knows will work.
The frustrations. roadblocks that Garrett has placed has ruined, stagnated several very talented players that could have have been much more.
Im looking forward to seeing talent being utilized properly.

Yeah I have high hopes