Pollard and Eckler Tandem at RB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
historically sure. I just don't think because it hasn't worked due to poor implementation that it wouldn't/couldn't work. Trying to replicate past successes has honoestly hamstrung us along the way i feel

The bottom line is the back matters. The Cowboys have had their best seasons when they’ve had a top lead runner. When Murray led the league in rushing in 2014 we made the playoffs. We made the playoffs both years that Zeke led the league in rushing. A great back takes pressure off your QB. You need players at the skill positions that have to be accounted for and can change games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What impact do you think Tyron Smith's absence had on the 2017 season considering we were bad when he was out and improved when he returned? What improvement did you see when Zeke returned in weeks 16 & 17?

Tyron’s loss had an impact for one game. He missed two games that season. What impacted us the most was not having Zeke for six games. When he returned things didn’t go well because he had been out of action for six games and we were struggling. Couldn’t expect him just to pick up where he left off being away from the team for six games.

Proof

Reaction score
The bottom line is the back matters. The Cowboys have had their best seasons when they’ve had a top lead runner. When Murray led the league in rushing in 2014 we made the playoffs. We made the playoffs both years that Zeke led the league in rushing. A great back takes pressure off your QB. You need players at the skill positions that have to be accounted for and can change games.

again i understand this. but correlation isn't causation. when we DIDN'T have a top lead runner we had bad runners. The hambricks, and Randle's of the world. Julius and Marion Barber were a solid 1-2 for a bit. It's akin to going from Tyron to Chaz Green. I'd just be willing to bet that with a solid stable we could have success.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
again i understand this. but correlation isn't causation. when we DIDN'T have a top lead runner we had bad runners. The hambricks, and Randle's of the world. Julius and Marion Barber were a solid 1-2 for a bit. It's akin to going from Tyron to Chaz Green. I'd just be willing to bet that with a solid stable we could have success.

You would have to go back to the 1971 season to find a solid stable of RBs with the Cowboys and that stable was led by Duane Thomas who was an elite runner.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Duane Thomas, Walt Garrison and Calvin Hill worked pretty well ….:)

Figured someone would mention that but Thomas was an elite runner who led that group. That was a great group of backs no question but Thomas was the catalyst. During the 1971 season he had more carries than the rest and almost double the carries during the postseason. He was a great back who Tom Landry thought might end up being another Jim Brown.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Tyron’s loss had an impact for one game. He missed two games that season. What impacted us the most was not having Zeke for six games. When he returned things didn’t go well because he had been out of action for six games and we were struggling. Couldn’t expect him just to pick up where he left off being away from the team for six games.
We were 3-3 without Zeke. The 3 losses were the first 3 games without him, the first 2 without Tyron. The 3rd game Tyron came back and we lost Martin to concussion. I think those players missing had more of an impact than Zeke missing.

Morris didn't run too bad. He actually faced a higher % of stacked boxes than Zeke did. He didn't have as many yards because he didn't get the same amount of carries but he was more efficient than Zeke from a YPC standpoint. And Rod Smith came in to convert short yardage about the same effectiveness as Zeke.

Proof

Reaction score
You would have to go back to the 1971 season to find a solid stable of RBs with the Cowboys and that stable was led by Duane Thomas who was an elite runner.

yeah the cowboys haven't done it successfully, mostly due to the talent and utilization. I'm just saying that I think they could, based on league trends. I like having an alpha chain mover that demoralizes defenses late game, I could just also see a different approach working. Not necessarily advocating.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We were 3-3 without Zeke. The 3 losses were the first 3 games without him, the first 2 without Tyron. The 3rd game Tyron came back and we lost Martin to concussion. I think those players missing had more of an impact than Zeke missing.

Morris didn't run too bad. He actually faced a higher % of stacked boxes than Zeke did. He didn't have as many yards because he didn't get the same amount of carries but he was more efficient than Zeke from a YPC standpoint. And Rod Smith came in to convert short yardage about the same effectiveness as Zeke.

We lost our edge with Zeke out. We had won three straight heading into the Atlanta game and proceeded to lose the next three without Zeke. I’m not going continue to waste time arguing about what he means to our offense.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yeah the cowboys haven't done it successfully, mostly due to the talent and utilization. I'm just saying that I think they could, based on league trends. I like having an alpha chain mover that demoralizes defenses late game, I could just also see a different approach working. Not necessarily advocating.

There’s some on the board arguing that a WR by committee could still work. I’ve given my opinion.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
We lost our edge with Zeke out. We had won three straight heading into the Atlanta game and proceeded to lose the next three without Zeke. I’m not going continue to waste time arguing about what he means to our offense.
Got it. Zeke's all the matters. Carry on with your bias.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Got it. Zeke's all the matters. Carry on with your bias.

Bias? lol The guy has been a great player for us can you not see that? We had an RB by committee the year before we drafted him and it didn’t work!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Bias? lol The guy has been a great player for us can you not see that? We had an RB by committee the year before we drafted him and it didn’t work!
I didn't say he hasn't been a great player. I just watched his replacement play pretty good football during his absence and just don't blindly attribute the losses up to Zeke not being there. If Morris stunk up the joint, I could understand that thought process. Morris didn't suck, the offensive line did during that 3 game losing streak. Dak also sucked, probably because of all the pressure.

As for 2015 running game that people think failed. It wasn't nearly as bad as people believe, they just don't want to make an argument for it, probably because of some bias. People make fun of the "underwear thief" yet his 2015 season was about on par as Zeke's 2017 season. Randle got cut and Zeke kept on getting the ball, but Randle was slightly more efficient than Zeke was rushing the ball, believe it or not. And DMC turned into a 1k rusher despite not being the starter the entire year. He was slightly less productive than Murray was in 2014.

The big difference in 2015 was the QB play was horrendous. Romo even had his worst year statistically in the limited time he played. Then we had Weeden who wouldn't hardly throw to the left or down the field, Cassel who had a dead arm and had to learn a new offense, and Moore a career practice squad player. Couple that with Dez being injured or missing the entire season except for the 1st quarter of the 1st game.

So our running game had horrible QBs with TWill as the number 1 receiver for the year and still managed to be the 9th best running team in the league in terms of total yards rushing, 5th best team in the league in terms of YPC, and have the 4th leading rusher that year.

Imagine the excuses that would be made for Zeke if he were playing under the same set of circumstances. People already blame Dak for Zeke facing nothing but stacked boxes. Why don't the 2015 running backs get any excuses made for them but instead be used as the poster children for a failed running game?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I definitely don't know how to spell Ekeler. LOL You are my hero, truly.

I have no problem with a RB by committee and a one two punch of Ekeler and Pollard would be amazing and 9 million cheaper. That was the point.

I cant help it if you don't keep up on other backs around the NFL. Ekeler has killed it for the most part whenever Gordon has been out.
Zeke is a very good back, but definitely not worth 15 million. And he is a drunken fool that lacks leadership qualities and maturity. Never seen a back lose a step in his 4th year.
I agree on EE, but it is done deal now, we are stuck with him and his salary, for a few years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I didn't say he hasn't been a great player. I just watched his replacement play pretty good football during his absence and just don't blindly attribute the losses up to Zeke not being there. If Morris stunk up the joint, I could understand that thought process. Morris didn't suck, the offensive line did during that 3 game losing streak. Dak also sucked, probably because of all the pressure.

As for 2015 running game that people think failed. It wasn't nearly as bad as people believe, they just don't want to make an argument for it, probably because of some bias. People make fun of the "underwear thief" yet his 2015 season was about on par as Zeke's 2017 season. Randle got cut and Zeke kept on getting the ball, but Randle was slightly more efficient than Zeke was rushing the ball, believe it or not. And DMC turned into a 1k rusher despite not being the starter the entire year. He was slightly less productive than Murray was in 2014.

The big difference in 2015 was the QB play was horrendous. Romo even had his worst year statistically in the limited time he played. Then we had Weeden who wouldn't hardly throw to the left or down the field, Cassel who had a dead arm and had to learn a new offense, and Moore a career practice squad player. Couple that with Dez being injured or missing the entire season except for the 1st quarter of the 1st game.

So our running game had horrible QBs with TWill as the number 1 receiver for the year and still managed to be the 9th best running team in the league in terms of total yards rushing, 5th best team in the league in terms of YPC, and have the 3rd leading rusher that year.

Imagine the excuses that would be made for Zeke if he were playing under the same set of circumstances. People already blame Dak for Zeke facing nothing but stacked boxes. Why don't the 2015 running backs get any excuses made for them but instead be used as the poster children for a failed running game?

Didn’t even bother to read all that. You have fans on this board that want to replace Dak, Zeke and Amari with backups and role players. If it was up to some here we wouldn’t have any star players. They should rename this board crazyzone.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Didn’t even bother to read all that. You have fans on this board that want to replace Dak, Zeke and Amari with backups and role players. If it was up to some here we wouldn’t have any star players. They should rename this board crazyzone.
I hear you and don't necessarily disagree, but appreciate you admitting you didn't read the post. Won't waste anymore of your or my time in the future. :thumbup:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
People already blame Dak for Zeke facing nothing but stacked boxes. Why don't the 2015 running backs get any excuses made for them but instead be used as the poster children for a failed running game?
because some have bromances with zeke lol. he can do no wrong, he could fumble 5 times in a SB game and some would defend him.
edit:: EE is good, but not 15 mil good.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I hear you and don't necessarily disagree, but appreciate you admitting you didn't read the post. Won't waste anymore of your or my time in the future. :thumbup:

Downplaying the importance of one of the best players on the team who’s a key cog in our offense is a waste of time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You accused me of being a QC homer. I told you there were posters from the old board here that would tell you I wasn’t and one showed up and said I wasn’t. He didn’t support your claim he supported mine.

I guess you don't read so well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The RB by committee hasn’t worked which is why we drafted Zeke. The Cowboys have never won a championship with an RB by committee, they’ve won by having a great lead back who can take pressure off their QB. You need a game changer at the position and Dak has not had success without Zeke. You need a back who can get the tough yards by pushing the pile 3 to 4 yards and move the chains. You need a back you can lean on. We found out last season that we’re not going to win consistently by airing it out all day. Romo put up almost the exact same passing yards in 2012 that Dak had last season and we ended up with the same record as last season 8-8. We need balance and we need a great lead back who can carry the load. Zeke not only moves the chains but he put points on the board. You’ve always been one who goes against logic.

There is more than one team in the NFL. Do you watch or follow the rest of the league?

Why don't you look up the stats for rushing leaders winning the SB of late. When was the last time?

Yah balance is awesome, but when you have one of the best lines in football, you don't need all your eggs in one basket like Zeke. A committee of quality backs can get the job done. Overkill having to spend 15 million on one guy.

But since I go against logic, feel free to list the things my logic has been wrong about.