Position Unit of Most Concern

blueblood70

Reaction score
None ask me again after preseason seriously let's let this group get all the practices and all the camps and all the games and they can and then let's figure out what we need going into game one that's what the coaches are gonna do how are the fans any different we need to see how this new roster develops if if some tweaks are need to be made you do that after the last preseason game when you're making all your cuts and trying to make your game one roster there'll be plenty of veterans out there to fill in if we need it

blueblood70

Reaction score
OK...Ok...wait.

You say those three could be legit starters, based on...what exactly?

I'm thirsty for an inside scoop. Please share!
No less legit then Cwill or Mcgovern for LG..doesn't seem like stretch to think Farniok or EDoga can replace those 2 , maybe not better but equal production. However, if there was a position that we we're going to bring in a veteran to fill in a starting spot, the left guard would be a good spot better than all these wild ideas about bringing in DeAndre Hopkins and Dalvin cook

so for me Kicker and Lg maybe MLB way more of a concern then any other positions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The two areas that supposedly letting Moore walk, McC taking over play calling and Shottenheimer on as OC were going to address, OL and RB.

Can't say there was a better OL available where they took the TE but based on a need, I would have preferred an OL.

This perception that this team has depth mystifies me. Based on what? A bunch of players we haven't seen depended on in a starting role?

Depth is the number one challenge in the NFL and injuries the number one coach killer.

However, one positive about this OL is McC. He once started 5 OG's in a playoff game and won but he also had a quick release deadly accurate QB to help him out.

T-RO

Reaction score
No less legit then Cwill or Mcgovern for LG..doesn't seem like stretch to think Farniok or EDoga can replace those 2
Let's think a little, shall we?

Connor Williams got a free agent contract for $7 million annual money. Connor McGovern is making $9 million annually. They've already started a lot...for two teams.

Edoga was just on the free market, and the best offer landed him $1 million. Is that starter money, or even good backup money? What does the contract tell us? Edoga has only suited up on Sunday roster 7 of the last 34 NFL games. What does that tell us?

If anyone here is good with metal detectors or fortune cookies...maybe they can tell us something about Farniok (2 pretty lame starts in two years) or Waletzko (never played). I'm all ears. I have absolutely no clue if either of them are NFL caliber players, let alone "starter caliber".

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Linebacker .

. i dunno if Parsons is gonna be far more DE than LB ...

LVE can be injury prone ..

Clark is an unknown ..

Overshown a pure rookie that has not played the LB role for long ...

Cox has been invisible ..

Harper missed his entire rookie season ....
LB is my biggest position of need at this point. Why?
  • LVE has missed 16 games in his 6 year career. Only 1 of those 6 seasons has he played a full season.
  • Damone Clark has tons of ability and upside but he’s also had spine fusion surgery. That does not give me any sense of security.
  • After those two, the depth is Marvion Overshown, a rookie with lots upside but he’s not ready to just step in.
OL would be my second position of need, mainly due to unproven depth.

kskboys

Reaction score
Excluding QB and Kicker, what position unit concerns you the most?

I gotta go RB.

Huge Tony Pollard fan, but I think he will need to be limited throughout the season in order to stay healthy and fresh come playoff time. He shouldn't receive more than 20 touches a game imo.

Ronald Jones hasn't had a good season since 2020 when he was on the Bucs Super Bowl Roster. Last year, in Kansas City he was barely used, carrying the ball only 17 times for 70 yards. In 2021, he averaged an unimpressive 4.2 yards per carry on 101 attempts. If he's our RB2, then we'll have serious issues running the ball.

Deuce Vaughn is a wildcard. Chances are he'll most likely be a gadget player on offense, but I think we'll have a good idea on what type of production we'll get from Deuce during preseason.

Then there's Malik Davis who didn't show anything special last year. Doubt he'll make a positive impact if given a larger role this year.
On board.

Although we may have the pieces on board, the LB position is a worry. Might be fine, or even better, but just too many questions need to be answered.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Connor Williams got a free agent contract for $7 million annual money. Connor McGovern is making $9 million annually. They've already started a lot.

Edoga was just on the free market, and the best offer landed him $1 million. Is that starter money, or even good backup money? What does the contract tell us? Edoga has only even only suited up on Sunday roster 7 of the last 34 NFL game. What does that tell us?

If anyone here is good with metal detectors or fortune cookies...maybe they can tell us something about Farniok (2 pretty lame starts in two years) or Waletzko (never played). I'm all ears.
no need to think

i said what i said and meant it.. both were looked at as solid but average players here, getting paid elsewhere doesn't validate anything, thats the nature of sports.. IMHO we have that and no worries, would like better than that sure.. Mcgovern followed Cwill, did fine, now it another's turn. jeez lets make it complicated SMH

tells us nothing from either side, Geno smith was bust for years now starter on a playoff team that came out of nowhere replacing a legend. ironic huh

kskboys

Reaction score
Why would QB be a position of concern?
I can understand why you said K.

RB and OL. But I do not buy into the theory with this RB group … fix the OL the RB group is fixed.
Didn't work w/ underwear thief or McFadds.

Hardline

Reaction score
That's because you're looking at: 'names', and position need rather than abilities. Edoga, Tyler, Asim (later in the season) and even Farniok suit a zonal scheme. I think we have (especially with Schoonmaker's run blocking) a plan to move away from the Zeke punch it up the middle. If we sign Risner, i'll be wrong, as he's a similar type to Torrance.

Saying that our potential weakness is having two Tackles with injury problems.
No. I'm not looking at names. I'm looking at great value on an offensive linemen that surprisingly fell to us in the 2nd round. Passing him up was pure stupidity.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Connor Williams got a free agent contract for $7 million annual money. Connor McGovern is making $9 million annually. They've already started a lot...for two teams.

Edoga was just on the free market, and the best offer landed him $1 million. Is that starter money, or even good backup money? What does the contract tell us? Edoga has only suited up on Sunday roster 7 of the last 34 NFL games. What does that tell us?

If anyone here is good with metal detectors or fortune cookies...maybe they can tell us something about Farniok (2 pretty lame starts in two years) or Waletzko (never played). I'm all ears. I have absolutely no clue if either of them are NFL caliber players, let alone "starter caliber".
you mean lets overthink, no TY! Next

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I get the concern at LB, but the team has a very good D-Line and very good secondary. LB is the least important of those 3 position groups.

If the O-Line is weak, nothing will work on offense. The QB, RB, WR's and TE will all suffer when the O-line struggles.

T-RO

Reaction score
no need to think

i said what i said and meant it.. both were looked at as solid but average players here, getting paid elsewhere doesn't validate anything, thats the nature of sports.. IMHO we have that and no worries, would like better than that sure.. Mcgovern followed Cwill, did fine, now it another's turn. jeez lets make it complicated SMH

tells us nothing from either side, Geno smith was bust for years now starter on a playoff team that came out of nowhere replacing a legend. ironic huh
If we don't want to think...our ideas are dirt.

No doubt sometimes players surprise or emerge, or develop late. Geno is a good example.

It's entirely possible Edoga, who has been a complete JAG for 4 years, will suddenly catch fire. Waletzko certainly has an elite athletic profile. Maybe he can be something.

I like to keep it real. And reality? At this point we fans have nothing but sheer *hope* these guys can play. We have nothing, nothing, nothing beyond that. None of them have done squat in the NFL and none come with high pedigree in college. (Waletzko, 5th round pick...and Farniok, 7th round)

Mike Tyson: Hope is not a plan.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If we don't want to think...our ideas are dirt.

No doubt sometimes players surprise or emerge, or develop late. Geno is a good example.

It's entirely possible Edoga, who has been a complete JAG for 4 years, will suddenly catch fire. Waletzko certainly has an elite athletic profile. Maybe he can be something.

I like to keep it real. And reality? At this point we fans have nothing but sheer *hope* these guys can play. We have nothing, nothing, nothing beyond that. None of them have done squat in the NFL and none come with high pedigree in college. (Waletzko, 5th round pick...and Farniok, 7th round)

Mike Tyson: Hope is not a plan.
our ideas are dirt, they are all opinions that have ZERO wright in the real world. Try again. reality check, wake up you are typing behind keyboard about thongs you are not an expert in and Judging those from afar who actually are experienced, actual Professionals in their fields..

go back to crunching numbers and making charts..

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
LB is my biggest position of need at this point. Why?
  • LVE has missed 16 games in his 6 year career. Only 1 of those 6 seasons has he played a full season.
  • Damone Clark has tons of ability and upside but he’s also had spine fusion surgery. That does not give me any sense of security.
  • After those two, the depth is Marvion Overshown, a rookie with lots upside but he’s not ready to just step in.
OL would be my second position of need, mainly due to unproven depth.
Agree, it was my concern since last year - tho LVE played better at the end of the season - they needed to upgrade the position.

Now if he goes down, there are big question marks.

After that OL and RB are concerns...WHEN Tyron misses a few games and Tyler moved to LT - no proven LG and do we have a dependable swing T.

RB - not much after Pollard and dont want to see him getting a zillion carries.