CFZ Possible Trade Chips to Upgrade Depth

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
I don’t see you getting anything for those guys. Maybe Armstrong….something minimal.

Salary cap is a big reason why we don’t see more trades but it’s also compensation. It just makes more sense to keep the player than trade a 6th rounder for them.

JayFord

Reaction score
to me Hooker is a no....We need the talent we have at DB and the depth there even with 3 safties i still want him

i would entertain a Dorance trade talk.....especially if a 2 or 3...but only of Sam Williams is killing it

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It actually does make sense. If you‘re deep at one position and not at another, it makes sense to acquire some depth in an area you currently have little or none.
No because then you are not deep at the position you traded away.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

what will hendershot get you? an 8th round pick?

I can see somebody paying a 5th or 6th for armstrong. is it worth making our depth worse given Lawrence is going to miss 5-6 games as he always does.

same with Hooker. what will he get you? a 6th or 7th round pick. not sure about Fowler. he is in the last year of his contract. so will anyone pay anything for a back up DE with minimal production?

yeah, our trash isn't somebody else's gold.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see you getting anything for those guys. Maybe Armstrong….something minimal.

Salary cap is a big reason why we don’t see more trades but it’s also compensation. It just makes more sense to keep the player than trade a 6th rounder for them.
Armstrong would definitely have the most value. If trading him for a quality depth OL or LB, it would make sense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No because then you are not deep at the position you traded away.
Not true. Our current pass rushing depth:
  • Parsons
  • Williams
  • Lawrence
  • Armstrong
  • Fowler
  • Rookie Fehoko
Taking either Armstrong or Fowler out doesn‘t make depth a problem when you’re this deep. If a trade increased depth at OL for example, it’s an upgrade for the overall roster.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what will hendershot get you? an 8th round pick?

I can see somebody paying a 5th or 6th for armstrong. is it worth making our depth worse given Lawrence is going to miss 5-6 games as he always does.

same with Hooker. what will he get you? a 6th or 7th round pick. not sure about Fowler. he is in the last year of his contract. so will anyone pay anything for a back up DE with minimal production?

yeah, our trash isn't somebody else's gold.
Not talking about trading for draft picks. Was talking about trading for depth. Yes, Hendershot alone doesn’t have much value. As I said in the OP, he would probably have to be a “sweetener“ along with someone else.

Again, this was intended to be a discussion about a trade for depth taking areas of depth we have to acquire some depth in areas we don’t have much.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You might get something for Armstrong but it’s likely a Day 3 pick. Then you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it not to have him for one more year for a pick like that?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not true. Our current pass rushing depth:
  • Parsons
  • Williams
  • Lawrence
  • Armstrong
  • Fowler
  • Rookie Fehoko
Taking either Armstrong or Fowler out doesn‘t make depth a problem when you’re this deep. If a trade increased depth at OL for example, it’s an upgrade for the overall roster.
Fehoko is never going to be an edge rusher. When you end up with an injury or two, you're extremely thin.

To trade DA for a guy who is the same quality as Edoga makes no sense. It doesn't solve anything, and gives you virtually no margin at edge.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Armstrong makes sense to trade IMO, the difficulty comes in the asking price though. Teams have to make it worth it for the Cowboys and it needs to be better than the comp pick they are likely to get from letting him walk in free agency.

I wouldn’t rule out an armstrong move if the cowboys get into a spot where they really need an O lineman. I could see it if there is a similar walk year situation with a G or T and we see Steele falling behind on his rehab and current G depth isn’t what some believe it can be.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not talking about trading for draft picks. Was talking about trading for depth. Yes, Hendershot alone doesn’t have much value. As I said in the OP, he would probably have to be a “sweetener“ along with someone else.

Again, this was intended to be a discussion about a trade for depth taking areas of depth we have to acquire some depth in areas we don’t have much.
so trash for trash?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong makes sense to trade IMO, the difficulty comes in the asking price though. Teams have to make it worth it for the Cowboys and it needs to be better than the comp pick they are likely to get from letting him walk in free agency.

I wouldn’t rule out an armstrong move if the cowboys get into a spot where they really need an O lineman. I could see it if there is a similar walk year situation with a G or T and we see Steele falling behind on his rehab and current G depth isn’t what some believe it can be.
The frustrating thing is that the Cowboys seem to feel a lot better about their offensive line depth than we do.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Fehoko is never going to be an edge rusher. When you end up with an injury or two, you're extremely thin.

To trade DA for a guy who is the same quality as Edoga makes no sense. It doesn't solve anything, and gives you virtually no margin at edge.
Agreed. I wouldn’t rule it out but the return has to be starting oline quality lineman. Armstrong was 2nd on the team in sacks last year in addition to being a special teams stud. Being just 25 years old it’s not unreasonable to think he has another fear he can reach too.

I get the logic of dealing him but the price needs to be high and if they were going to do it I think the better option would have been pre draft.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Right! If only the Cowboys organization would just do what we do as fans and just scour the internet and watch ESPN instead of actually working with players and training them, then they would have the proper perspective!
The frustrating thing is that the Cowboys seem to feel a lot better about their offensive line depth than we do.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
According to this board, clearly Vaughn has the most value. Next Barry Sanders.

Some team would surely part ways with a 1st or second I would think.