CFZ Possible Trade Chips to Upgrade Depth

Havic

Reaction score
Armstrong is going to ball out this year and look to get paid after. I’d rather take the comp pick next year

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not true. Our current pass rushing depth:
  • Parsons
  • Williams
  • Lawrence
  • Armstrong
  • Fowler
  • Rookie Fehoko
Taking either Armstrong or Fowler out doesn‘t make depth a problem when you’re this deep. If a trade increased depth at OL for example, it’s an upgrade for the overall roster.
Exactly. Armstrong is not going to crack the starting rotation.

Neither is Fowler I just do not see us getting much for him.

Williams could. He's the same size and at this point in their careers stronger than DLaw. He already gets pressure at a high rate. Throw in some peanut butter and a year of Quinn and Williams could really start dominating single team while holding down the edge vs the run.

Golston is criminally underrated around here. He really emerged in the man among boys category where his size strength and explosiveness was causing OLmen problems. Watching him turn people as he slants into a gap is fun to watch. I am excited to see what he can become as he refines his technique. I don't think he can break down in space at a high enough level to be a top pass rusher but I do think he can be a LOS force consistently pushing the pocket and disrupting blocking schemes. His peanut butter got him 15-20 lbs last offseason. Continue to hone those skills that size opens up.

With Golston taking the role of the power end that can move inside to 4 or even the 3 and Williams demanding more than the 25% of snaps he already got last year it is going to put the squeeze on guys like Armstrong (and Fowler) getting any snaps.

Heck even the mid round rookie is a 275+ power end. Armstrong is redundant more expensive and if everyone stays healthy they almost have to trade him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right! If only the Cowboys organization would just do what we do as fans and just scour the internet and watch ESPN instead of actually working with players and training them, then they would have the proper perspective!
Is that attitude because the Cowboys never miss?

If so, it’s clearly misplaced.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Agreed. I wouldn’t rule it out but the return has to be starting oline quality lineman. Armstrong was 2nd on the team in sacks last year in addition to being a special teams stud. Being just 25 years old it’s not unreasonable to think he has another fear he can reach too.

I get the logic of dealing him but the price needs to be high and if they were going to do it I think the better option would have been pre draft.
Edoga was a FA signing. Armstrong is a productive edge player on a cherry contract.

Right now he is insurance in case another edge player gets hurt. When it's August and we're through a preseason game or two if we are still healthy we can likely get a LB, RB, or OL for him. OL is of a similar position value but I expect we could get good value out of the other 2 positions for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Armstrong would definitely have the most value. If trading him for a quality depth OL or LB, it would make sense.
I’m not a fan of that after they traded Ward away for line depth. You don’t give up talent you find a way to keep it so I’d have to question how good they are if a team gave them up. If Gilmore was traded for a 5th…makes you wonder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have 3 or 4 guys that can win the spot and if they aren't good enough can move Tyler Smith there.
And in the meantime, the entire offense could struggle or the quarterback could get hurt. They have Tyler Smith - their best option - and a bunch of unprovens.

rambo2

Reaction score
And in the meantime, the entire offense could struggle or the quarterback could get hurt. They have Tyler Smith - their best option - and a bunch of unprovens.
Last year at this time Tyler Smith was unproven. I think that Matt W. Is going to be a good player. I have a feeling that they will develop somebody decent at left guard and will be OK one way or another.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
The players you listed all provide depth. You’re not going to improve the depth by trading those players. No one is going to trade us someone better than those players or draft pick that we would have a better chance of improving on those players. Hendershot has the chance to be a very good player. Teams usually don’t make trades to improve their depth. You draft players later in the draft to improve your depth or pick up some undrafted free agents.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fehoko's playing inside. He's carrying too much weight to play on the edge. He may do it on short yardage run situations but not as a pass rusher.

Nice try trying to get us to think we need to upgrade anything on this Mona Lisa of a roster, Bob.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
This kind of thinking does not exist in Jerry's bubble. We do not wheel and deal b/c Jerry and Stephen aren't familiar enough with the talent in the league to have any sense of player value. The best we can hope for is free agent scraps.

rambo2

Reaction score
This kind of thinking does not exist in Jerry's bubble. We do not wheel and deal b/c Jerry and Stephen aren't familiar enough with the talent in the league to have any sense of player value. The best we can hope for is free agent scraps.
Trading for Cooks and Gillmore is wheeling and dealing.