CFZ Possible Trade Chips to Upgrade Depth

blueblood70

Reaction score
Point is those guys listed don't have any trade value.
No one ever said they did the people that Bob listed are the ones that are the only possibilities unless you really wanna trade one of the big names diggs ,Micah or, Ceedee... I'm pretty sure Bob covered the people that we'd be willing to trade that could be traded to have any trade value at all so I'm not sure where this got off track....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No one ever said they did the people that Bob listed are the ones that are the only possibilities unless you really wanna trade one of the big names diggs ,Micah or, Ceedee... I'm pretty sure Bob covered the people that we'd be willing to trade that could be traded to have any trade value at all so I'm not sure where this got off track....
Maybe I misunderstood his post...

I thought he was saying we could trade the below players for depth.

• Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You have a point. I have no tolerance for all things Canadian especially Americans who behave like Canadians. But please don't assume that I don't at least try to address my bigotry against the Canadian race. I try to harbor no ill will against them and I don't wish for things like concentration camps or gas ovens. I even understand that the Canadian species probably serves some greater purpose in nature's ecosystem than I currently understand. But then again, I don't wish to live among them or next to them, just as there are plenty of wild animals or insects that would threaten my survival If they infested my backyard.

I'm sure even talking about this will get me banned. No easy way to deal with this.
What the hell…?

:lmao::lmao2:

Jarntt

Reaction score
Fowler may be the most obvious guy. He's already the #5 DE. If Fehoko steps up as a guy who can stop both the run and the pass and everyone is healthy I'm not sure Fowler is even needed, but he can help another team looking for some nickel pass rush snaps. But he probably only gets you back like a 6th, maybe even just a 7th?

Jarntt

Reaction score
to me Hooker is a no....We need the talent we have at DB and the depth there even with 3 safties i still want him

i would entertain a Dorance trade talk.....especially if a 2 or 3...but only of Sam Williams is killing it
Plus zero chance Kearse or Wilson is playing FS in a single high set and we bring those two down a lot. You can make the case Kearse and Wilson are more duplicative than Hooker (note I'm definitely not suggesting getting rid of either of them)

Jarntt

Reaction score
Exactly. Armstrong is not going to crack the starting rotation.

Neither is Fowler I just do not see us getting much for him.

Williams could. He's the same size and at this point in their careers stronger than DLaw. He already gets pressure at a high rate. Throw in some peanut butter and a year of Quinn and Williams could really start dominating single team while holding down the edge vs the run.

Golston is criminally underrated around here. He really emerged in the man among boys category where his size strength and explosiveness was causing OLmen problems. Watching him turn people as he slants into a gap is fun to watch. I am excited to see what he can become as he refines his technique. I don't think he can break down in space at a high enough level to be a top pass rusher but I do think he can be a LOS force consistently pushing the pocket and disrupting blocking schemes. His peanut butter got him 15-20 lbs last offseason. Continue to hone those skills that size opens up.

With Golston taking the role of the power end that can move inside to 4 or even the 3 and Williams demanding more than the 25% of snaps he already got last year it is going to put the squeeze on guys like Armstrong (and Fowler) getting any snaps.

Heck even the mid round rookie is a 275+ power end. Armstrong is redundant more expensive and if everyone stays healthy they almost have to trade him.
The difference is Armstrong serves an important role on both passing and run downs (admittedly he wasn't as good against the run last year as he was in 2021). Fowler is simply the 5th best pass rushing edge and a guy you play on early downs because you have to some times. Their contracts and snap counts are drastically different for a reason IMO. If Tank goes down we will wish we still had Armstrong. It would take at least two injuries to wish we had Fowler. That's not to say Fowler isn't a pretty good pass rusher, just that there is more redundancy on passing downs with our edges than running downs. This changes if Fehoko proves to be the player that I think he will be, but it's too early to assume that.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Fehoko's playing inside. He's carrying too much weight to play on the edge. He may do it on short yardage run situations but not as a pass rusher.

Nice try trying to get us to think we need to upgrade anything on this Mona Lisa of a roster, Bob.
Disagree. I think he is perfect size for the SDE on early downs. Too small to play inside consistently.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The difference is Armstrong serves an important role on both passing and run downs (admittedly he wasn't as good against the run last year as he was in 2021). Fowler is simply the 5th best pass rushing edge and a guy you play on early downs because you have to some times. Their contracts and snap counts are drastically different for a reason IMO. If Tank goes down we will wish we still had Armstrong. It would take at least two injuries to wish we had Fowler. That's not to say Fowler isn't a pretty good pass rusher, just that there is more redundancy on passing downs with our edges than running downs. This changes if Fehoko proves to be the player that I think he will be, but it's too early to assume that.
And as I was saying those roles can be filled by others. This is particularly so if Golston builds on how he finished last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Maybe I misunderstood his post...

I thought he was saying we could trade the below players for depth.

• Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
but somehow you added joseph names in the post..not really a trade chip

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys definitely have depth and they are probably going to have to let go of some genuine NFL talent at cutdowns.

Trading is a tricky proposition, especially during the preseason. There are going to be injuries, that is the reality. But where? How many times has a team traded a player and then experienced a rash of injuries at his position? I'm thinking you would have to be three deep in talent to be able to trade at that point of the season.

There are actually a few positions on this Cowboys team that qualifies but it would mean trading a different set of players, some quite popular,

I'm with you on someone like Armstrong, although Gholston might also fall in that category as well as Bohanna. You could also look at Cox in the LB squad, if Clark and Overshown have good preseasons. We seem to have a logjam in the DB area and a young player with potential could bring some real value.

An unpopular, but aggressive move might be to trade Diggs for multiple premium picks thus building capital for the future in both draft picks and cap space. Put down the pitchforks, I'm not advocating for it, but nothing is impossible if negotiations go south.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
Maybe one of these players could fetch us a decent kicker ?

Jarntt

Reaction score
And as I was saying those roles can be filled by others. This is particularly so if Golston builds on how he finished last year.
Golston played DT at the end of last year

I don't think we can say Armstrong's role can be filled by others right now. Fowler, yes.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Not true. Our current pass rushing depth:
  • Parsons
  • Williams
  • Lawrence
  • Armstrong
  • Fowler
  • Rookie Fehoko
Taking either Armstrong or Fowler out doesn‘t make depth a problem when you’re this deep. If a trade increased depth at OL for example, it’s an upgrade for the overall roster.
Fehoko is really a 3T DT

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Golston played DT at the end of last year

I don't think we can say Armstrong's role can be filled by others right now. Fowler, yes.
He played both end and tackle. But hey go ahead and underrate him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You said "builds on how he finished". At the end he played DT. I don't recall him playing end at all in the playoffs.
Your recollection is besides the point. He played both. quinn has a role for 280 lbers like him.