CFZ Possible Trade Chips to Upgrade Depth

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.
It's the Comp Picks.
A trade package has to beat player value *plus* the comp pick value when we let them walk.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
I have always been a fan of trading depth to get depth.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hendershot has nearly no value. And we are not trading for OL where the boys have a stable of jags already.

Creeper

Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
I am not sure any of these players have real trade value. And I don't know that it would be a good idea to trade them.

Not having seen Fehoko play a down in the NFL, I don't think I would trade Armstrong and rely on a rookie.

Hooker has been steady as a rock and with him back there the big mistakes seem to have disappeared. It is true they have some depth at S but Hooker is not going to fetch much in a trade and he is not taking up any real CAP space.

Hendershot is one of your top 3 TEs.

I don't see all this depth at DE. Why get rid of Fowler and make the team weaker at the edge?

If there is a guy who might be a good trade candidate, it might be Michael Gallup. Although his dead money might be a problem next year. If Fehoko and Tolbert come around they will have 5 WRs not including Turpin.

T-RO

Reaction score
Not having seen Fehoko play a down in the NFL, I don't think I would trade Armstrong and rely on a rookie.
Here is our current stack of defensive ends:

-Lawrence
-Parsons
-Armstrong
-Sam Williams
-Dante Fowler
-Takkarist McKinley
-Chauncey Golston
-Fehoko

It's as deep a group as there is in the NFL. Trading Armstrong would not mean relying on a rookie.

Of the OP's trade chips, Armstrong is perhaps the only one that check all the boxes a possibility, IMO.

Creeper

Reaction score

-Lawrence
-Parsons
-Armstrong
-Sam Williams
-Dante Fowler
-Takkarist McKinley
-Chauncey Golston
-Fehoko

It's as deep a group as there is in the NFL. Trading Armstrong would not mean relying on a rookie.

Of the OP's trade chips, Armstrong is perhaps the only one that check all the boxes a possibility, IMO.
Parsons is not a DE, he is a LB who rushes from the outside sometimes.

McKinley is a journeyman who didn't even make the active list last year. His best years are behind him.

Golston appears to be better inside on passing downs. Fehoko hasn't played a down in the NFL.

So basically, Lawrence and Armstrong are your starters. Fowler and Williams are your backups. Maybe Williams steps up into a bigger role. Elevating McKinley, Golston, or Fehoko to the backup spot weakens the defense, IMO. Why would you do that just to make a trade for depth somewhere else? And what kind of depth could we get for a guy who is in the last year of his contract?

I will grant you, getting something in return for Armstrong now is better than losing him to free agency next year, but I don't see how it helps the Cowboys in 2023.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will grant you, getting something in return for Armstrong now is better than losing him to free agency next year, but I don't see how it helps the Cowboys in 2023.
It doesn't. Losing him in FA means getting a comp pick next April.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

-Lawrence
-Parsons
-Armstrong
-Sam Williams
-Dante Fowler
-Takkarist McKinley
-Chauncey Golston
-Fehoko

Two of these guys are DTs in passrush sets and one has played 15 games with 3.5 sacks since 2020.

They're just names. The top 5 players on this list are the only ones relevant to the edge depth.

T-RO

Reaction score
Parsons is not a DE, he is a LB who rushes from the outside sometimes
Whatever spin we want to put on it...Parsons lines up 90% of the time as a defensive end. They'll flip him to different sides and very occasionally have him play LB, but he's an edge.

Two of these guys are DTs in passrush sets and one has played 15 games with 3.5 sacks since 2020.

They're just names. The top 5 players on this list are the only ones relevant to the edge depth.
Teams commonly move their edge players to DT in "Nascar" packages on obvious passing downs.

Armstrong had 8.5 sacks. Williams had four. Fowler had 6 sacks. Those are your 3rd, fourth and fifth in the rotation. Cowboys have more edge depth than just about anybody.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
I’m not a fan of that after they traded Ward away for line depth. You don’t give up talent you find a way to keep it so I’d have to question how good they are if a team gave them up. If Gilmore was traded for a 5th…makes you wonder.
wonder what ? nobody gave anything for Hopkins , we took 5th for AC , it happens a lot actually. players are cut or traded for less than their jerseys names because this is a business , it happens.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'll leave it to others to decide if Canadian food is poison or not. I'm trying to find a balance between adhering to CZ policy and telling the truth.
You mean balancing between policy and telling your opinion. Pretty sure thats what you meant.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
It actually does make sense. If you‘re deep at one position and not at another, it makes sense to acquire some depth in an area you currently have little or none.
With the latest information on Steele, OL depth could be significant. And even when Steele returns, will he be at full strength?

Tyron has been a ticking timebomb the last few years. And with Steele down, what would a return to the tub for Tyron do for this offensive line?

At the very least dip a toe in the pool and see what the temperature is.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
wonder what ? nobody gave anything for Hopkins , we took 5th for AC , it happens a lot actually. players are cut or traded for less than their jerseys names because this is a business , it happens.
Makes you wonder if Gilmore is worth a 5th and Amari is worth a 5th then what is Joseph worth? A 10th lol?