CFZ Possible Trade Chips to Upgrade Depth

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year at this time Tyler Smith was unproven. I think that Matt W. Is going to be a good player. I have a feeling that they will develop somebody decent at left guard and will be OK one way or another.
I hope you’re right. I have high hopes for Waletsko as well. If he’s good enough,they can keep Tyler Smith at left guard.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
We arent trading any of those guys. Those guys give US depth. What would be your goal? Older Vets?? Nope, you need young guys to fill roster spots that arent taking up a bunch f money. IMo, the thing that made our defense work is the pressure we pu on the QB. We complained forveer about having no pass rush. We finally got one with depth, and you are looking at trading it away?

Nah, this roster is good right now... IF the draft improves us. The interior D line is the one spot we all want to see how our top pick does for us. If we hit on that guy, then our defense will be stellar. Unless you are able to get D Henry, or Dalvin Cook.... just trading our guys for other "Guys," accomplishes nothing IMO.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Trading depth for depth doesn't make any sense, regardless of what you might actually get back for any of these guys.
Thats what I just said in my reply... unless we are getting Derrick Henry or Dalvin Cook... whats the point. And honestly, I wouldnt want either of their contracts.... and neither do their current teams.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Fehoko's playing inside. He's carrying too much weight to play on the edge. He may do it on short yardage run situations but not as a pass rusher.

Nice try trying to get us to think we need to upgrade anything on this Mona Lisa of a roster, Bob.
Given his body type I’m a little surprised he got away with being a good edge in D1. I think he will struggle with the transition. Initially at least.

In June, everyone (well maybe not you lol) thinks they have hit on every draft pick, but at this point Fehoko is my early favorite for the Reggie Robinson award.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I hope you’re right. I have high hopes for Waletsko as well. If he’s good enough,they can keep Tyler Smith at left guard.
I think lack of fan confidence in Waletzko is at least partially related to Ball not developing at all. They are the same exact guy in the eyes of some.

It’ll be interesting to see if/when Tyron goes down if they move Tyler outside and go with Edoga at LG, or just sub in Waletzko at LT. Probably will depend on if it’s a few games or a few series. A year ago I was concerned about moving him in/out. He handles himself like a seasoned vet and would handle it well I’m sure.

The team feels they are ok depth wise at OL, fans generally do not. The difference is Edoga. Teams likes him, fans don’t know him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given his body type I’m a little surprised he got away with being a good edge in D1. I think he will struggle with the transition. Initially at least.

In June, everyone (well maybe not you lol) thinks they have hit on every draft pick, but at this point Fehoko is my early favorite for the Reggie Robinson award.
He played against weak competition. I hated the pick when it was made but moving him to 3 tech makes it an unknown for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think lack of fan confidence in Waletzko is at least partially related to Ball not developing at all. They are the same exact guy in the eyes of some.

It’ll be interesting to see if/when Tyron goes down if they move Tyler outside and go with Edoga at LG, or just sub in Waletzko at LT. Probably will depend on if it’s a few games or a few series. A year ago I was concerned about moving him in/out. He handles himself like a seasoned vet and would handle it well I’m sure.

The team feels they are ok depth wise at OL, fans generally do not. The difference is Edoga. Teams likes him, fans don’t know him.
Regarding Edoga. I know him and don’t like him. His track record isn’t good, but fans who don’t know claim he ‘played well at guard’ based on him surviving one game against the Bears last year. A Bears team bereft of any defensive talent.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Compared to the other 3 major U.S. pro sports- baseball, basketball and hockey- the NFL does not have that many trades. One of the biggest reasons for that is the hard salary cap in place that makes it difficult to acquire a player whose contract often cannot be wedged under the cap for a different team. Trades happen in the NFL, just not that many.

When I look at the current Cowboys roster and the positions where we need some upgrades, it’s interesting to think about what assets we have that could be used in a trade to upgrade our roster. There are several factors that make a player a good trade asset:
  • Talent- obviously. That means current talent. Not “washed up” talent. (It’s often humorous to see some fans proposing a trade with one of our players who is not a big talent or has faded. Usually no other team wants them either, lol)
  • Contract- must be able to fit contract under other teams’ cap. (This is why big contract players are traded less often- it’s hard to fit them under the cap for another team)
  • Age- older players are usually less attractive to most teams. Players under 30 are more popular as trade bait for obvious reasons.
So…IMO, there are a few ”trade chips” we have that could result in a trade to improve our roster in positions of need. It won’t result in a blockbuster, but might help us with depth. Here are the players that have enough value for a trade that could upgrade our depth:
  • Dorance Armstrong- with the development of Sam Williams, the re-signing of Dante Fowler, and the drafting of Vilami Fehoko, we have some depth with pass rushers. Armstrong is 26, talented and has a very reasonable contract. He could be used in a trade to acquire some depth at OL or another position of need. Most teams are looking for a pass rusher.
  • Malik Hooker- if Israel Mukuamu continues to develop at S, Hooker could be a decent trade chip. Hooker is only 27, still has some value and has a very reasonable contract.
  • Peyton Hendershot- he flashed at times last year as an athletic TE with some upside. His value would be low by himself but could be used as a sweetener in combo with another player. With the addition of Luke Schoonmaker, Hendershot will probably have less PT.
  • Dante Fowler- as mentioned earlier, we have some pass rushing depth. Maybe Fowler would draw some interest (although not as much as Armstrong). He’s still just 28 and was re-signed to a very reasonable deal.
Again, none of these guys will have the value for a blockbuster trade. But they might render some depth at some positions of need like OL, RB or LB. I doubt the team would do this but it would certainly be worth exploring IMO.
I respect you but you are sounding or becoming Jerry Dumbo GM Jones as described by his wife (regarding Jimmy Johnson firing). "He can't leave well enough alone".

Everybody you listed as you said has a reasonable contract and provides roster depth or playing time rotation.

Remember Amari Cooper. Get rid of a cheap Pro Bowl WR and go with the cheaper one leg WR coming off injury and a unproven rookie. You think the Jonesboys would have lost to the 49ers with Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Hilton, and Brown. Even with Pollard's injury the 49ers secondary would have too much to cover in 3, 4, and 5 wide (that is if Boy Genius would have done it).

RBs are dime a dozen (Playoff Lenny doesn't have a team). Cowboys have enough cap space to bring in a quality OL or veteran LB. So why make your roster thin if you are trying to be a Super Bowl team?

TheCritic

Reaction score
Is that attitude because the Cowboys never miss?

If so, it’s clearly misplaced.
I get it, nobody's perfect. I do have to confess to a bias in favor of those who coach/train football for a living vs. someone who is more likely to be collecting a welfare check. Sorry.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get it, nobody's perfect. I do have to confess to a bias in favor of those who coach/train football for a living vs. someone who is more likely to be collecting a welfare check. Sorry.
You should ‘confess’ to a lousy attitude while you’re at it.
:facepalm:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I’m not a fan of trading depth in one position for depth in another position.You end up still needing depth.

Big_D

Reaction score
This is dumb. They haven't made a bad trade in a decade.

The Cooper trade wasn't great. It was a desperate move because they previously dropped the ball at WR. But they gave up a 5 year rookie deal for a year and half and still won nothing. Under McCarthy at least they aren't making stupid moves with high end picks.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The Cooper trade wasn't great. It was a desperate move because they previously dropped the ball at WR. But they gave up a 5 year rookie deal for a year and half and still won nothing. Under McCarthy at least they aren't making stupid moves with high end picks.
You can't evaluate a trade based on whether or not you win a Super Bowl lol.

They traded a first-round pick, got a first-round talent. Anything outside of that is just minutiae.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Armstrong is going to ball out this year and look to get paid after. I’d rather take the comp pick next year
There is the correct answer. I'd gamble on him getting a higher comp pick than what you could get in a trade.