Post an obscure and pointless fact

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
My uncle told me they used to take the M1 Garands in the scalding hot shower to get them perfectly clean then after the heat dried them put a light coat of oil on and they were good to go otherwise they fail inspection and couldn't go to on leave . Had a Rem Rand in my 1911 collection good reliable gun . Traded it on a series 70 Gold Cup
I've recall listening to some of the old 'oil field' hands when I was a kid,who'd spent most of their WWII, over in the European theatre of combat operations & recall hearing they'd eschew oil based lubricants in the winter & graphite up the moving friction/ contact wear points of their M-1 GARAND'S with their
" write a letter home " lead pencils.

* ya,I've did that "scalding hot water" trick myself, till I got caught doing it as it is an unauthorized cleaning procedure, SHEESE,you'd of thought I'd killed& cooked the sacred cow of New Delhi when gunny BIG SWEAT caught me in the shower stall doing that:lmao:

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Idaho has one of the highest risks for Earthquakes in the US. The state ranks fifth in the nation for most earthquakes in any given year.

I was just in Tulsa, OK and I believe my buddy said Oklahoma is #1 on the most geologically active states. Most likely due to all the fracking in the past. I believe they have done some things to limit the damage they were doing now from fracking.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I've recall listening to some of the old 'oil field' hands when I was a kid,who'd spent most of their WWII, over in the European theatre of combat operations & recall hearing they'd eschew oil based lubricants in the winter & graphite up the moving friction/ contact wear points of their M-1 GARAND'S with their
" write a letter home " lead pencils.

* ya,I've did that "scalding hot water" trick myself, till I got caught doing it as it is an unauthorized cleaning procedure, SHEESE,you'd of thought I'd killed& cooked the sacred cow of New Delhi when gunny BIG SWEAT caught me in the shower stall doing that:lmao:

Had to do it once with a Remington 700 fell in a swamp and got mud all in that box trigger . I was young and learned real fast Hoppes is not good on mud . Blazing hot water and soap clean as a whistle even left the leupold scope on oiled it and shot perfect .

My uncle said they would leave one guy out to stand watch cause like you say they would freak if they saw that going on . The fact this procedure got them all able to go on leave to Warez Mexico leads to my next obscure but not pointless fact .

They all came back with crabs and killed them with Ronsonal lighter fluid . I never needed this for crabs but adapted this method to get rid of mange on the huntin dogs after they got into a fox den.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Kawasaki 3 cyl 2 stroke H1 500s routinely seized the center piston and rings . My guess since it was Air cooled the center CYL got hot from the ones on either side along with being blocked from air by the front wheel.

When right these were rockets in there day

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Had to do it once with a Remington 700 fell in a swamp and got mud all in that box trigger . I was young and learned real fast Hoppes is not good on mud . Blazing hot water and soap clean as a whistle even left the leupold scope on oiled it and shot perfect .

My uncle said they would leave one guy out to stand watch cause like you say they would freak if they saw that going on . The fact this procedure got them all able to go on leave to Warez Mexico leads to my next obscure but not pointless fact .

They all came back with crabs and killed them with Ronsonal lighter fluid . I never needed this for crabs but adapted this method to get rid of mange on the huntin dogs after they got into a fox den.

Them fellers in the oil field told me about the lighter fluid for the delousing of body crabs trick,,,but them ol' boys told me I had to set it afire & then skewer them with an ice-pick as those galloping freckles fled from the flames,,,:huh:,,,are you sure yer' uncle didn't omit key steps in relaying the complete procedure?,,,as them there ol' boys in the oil field (that I grew up around) were quite adamant in what was required,,,o_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Blackrain

Reaction score
Them fellers in the oil field told me about the lighter fluid for the delousing of body crabs trick,,,but them ol' boys told me I had to set it afire & then skewer them with an ice-pick as those galloping freckles fled from the flames,,,:huh:,,,are you sure yer' uncle didn't omit key steps in relaying the complete procedure?,,,as them there ol' boys in the oil field (that I grew up around) were quite adamant in what was required,,,o_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:
That's a hoot he left that out but the method sure works on the huntin dog after I spent a fortune on pills from the vet that had no effect on those critters .
Drowned the little *******s lighter fluid the wash um in Johnson baby shampoo

Melonfeud

Reaction score
That's a hoot he left that out but the method sure works on the huntin dog after I spent a fortune on pills from the vet that had no effect on those critters .
Drowned the little *******s lighter fluid the wash um in Johnson baby shampoo
Hey man,wouldn't fuel oil like diesel work on mange ?as I'm thinking those are skin mites ,but IDK, I know a dogs hair goes away in patches & was always told to stay away from them & if they didn't keep on moving down the road, they'd end up being shot:(

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Gas melts styrofoam.

So, what's fun is to hand the new employee a styrofoam cup and ask them to go get you a cup of gas!!!!!!
:lmao: ,,,Man, I had an employee who was the teenaged son of an employee ,who would have to grow bigger if he were to get any dumber,,& I'd sent him off over to the back of the work truck to go get me that big cardboard box of postholes I'd just bought,,,:lmao2:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:lmao: ,,,Man, I had an employee who was the teenaged son of an employee ,who would have to grow bigger if he were to get any dumber,,& I'd sent him off over to the back of the work truck to go get me that big cardboard box of postholes I'd just bought,,,:lmao2:
I once had a co-worker so stupid, I got back to the warehouse before he did one day and wrote him a note:

Mike,
Could you please finish my paperwork for me? My pen ran out of ink three pages ago.

Sure enough, an hour later I got a call from him, asking what I didn't finish, because it looked like it was all done.

cowboyec

Reaction score
on this day in 1974...Elvis performed 2 shows at the university of Dayton arena in Dayton,Ohio.
an audience recording does exist for both the afternoon and evening shows and were both released on the excellent 2CD set A Day In Dayton.
the evening show is also available on the excellent CD Breathing Out Fire.

Londonboy

Reaction score
I once had a co-worker so stupid, I got back to the warehouse before he did one day and wrote him a note:

Mike,
Could you please finish my paperwork for me? My pen ran out of ink three pages ago.

Sure enough, an hour later I got a call from him, asking what I didn't finish, because it looked like it was all done.
Was He an Elvis fan?

cowboyec

Reaction score
on Oct.7,1974...Elvis performed at the Henry Levitt Arena,Wichita St Univ...in Wichita,Ks.

cowboyec

Reaction score
on this day in 1974...Elvis performed at the Convention Center in San Antonio.