Post game thoughts- wasted season

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394099 said:
No, there was a substantial minority who did not like the deal at the time because we felt Barber had not gotten enough chances to start to decide whether he could be a true feature elite RB. I think this year has suggested that he is not well-suited to the role with the drop in ypc and the increase in fumbles.
Yep...

Also agree on what you said about overpaying some people based on a 13-3 year -- and also on losing sight of the fact that football starts at the line of scrimmage.

But as far as a lot of what's been said in the rest of this thread... People are forgetting that problems 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 today were that our QB was absolutely abysmal and shouldn't even be in the league, except maybe as a field goal holder. We had no chance with Brad Johnson today. He was that bad. Put Romo or a decent QB in there and it's a different story.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394072 said:
But that will only be because they hide the weakness we have up the middle against the run by forcing teams to become 1-dimensional. We are not good against the run and need to play with a lead.

I disagree. We are now 16th in the league giving up 107 yds a game. That is too much but it's not terrible. We are a poor tackling team. I think when we're in the game and the offense has to play our defense honestly we can be pretty good against the run. I will freely admit we could be better and tackling is a major part of defensing the run. I just see that as correctable. I do think we are getting hurt some at NT. I wish they would move Spears in there and move Ratliff over to see if it got better and our rush got better. Our LBs are getting moved too much as well. So if you're saying we're mediocre then I can't argue too much right now. I'd like to say we should have this conversation after the next few games though.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2394209 said:
Yep...

Also agree on what you said about overpaying some people based on a 13-3 year -- and also on losing sight of the fact that football starts at the line of scrimmage.

But as far as a lot of what's been said in the rest of this thread... People are forgetting that problems 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 today were that our QB was absolutely abysmal and shouldn't even be in the league, except maybe as a field goal holder. We had no chance with Brad Johnson today. He was that bad. Put Romo or a decent QB in there and it's a different story.

Yes, even with a proper NT and a healthy OL we still lose this game with BJ/BB at QB. We just dont have a fighting chance against the SB champs on the road with that level of ineptitude under the center.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2394284 said:
I disagree. We are now 16th in the league giving up 107 yds a game. That is too much but it's not terrible. We are a poor tackling team. I think when we're in the game and the offense has to play our defense honestly we can be pretty good against the run. I will freely admit we could be better and tackling is a major part of defensing the run. I just see that as correctable. I do think we are getting hurt some at NT. I wish they would move Spears in there and move Ratliff over to see if it got better and our rush got better. Our LBs are getting moved too much as well. So if you're saying we're mediocre then I can't argue too much right now. I'd like to say we should have this conversation after the next few games though.

I view the average ypg stat as flawed when viewing this team's run defense. Teams that have made it a mission to pound us have been successful and will be successful. We are just way too weak up the middle and that whole part of the defense needs to be revamped.

We'll have some more tests upcoming with games against the Steelers and re-matches with the Skins and Giants.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Eskimo;2394003 said:
I just think we have lost our way on building the team here.

1. Games are won and lost on the line

2. The fundamentals of this game are blocking and tackling

3. This is mostly a young person's game

Jerry has fallen into the trap of overrating players on the basis of a very good 13-3 season. It caused him to believe players who had career seasons were better than they really are.

Hamlin has shown for long enough that he is far from an upper echelon safety. He has regressed back to his mean performance this year. He is not the cause of our failure but he also is not a consistent force as a tackler or coverage player.

MB3 runs with alot of heart but without much quickness to the hole and this is his weakness. I don't see him being a premier type RB in this league and that is what you have to be to make the Pro Bowl. He was worth the 5-year 25M deal that was being floated towards the end of the year but not the one he ended up getting.

Flo - just don't trust the guy. From game one this year he has looked different than the dominant player he was last year. I had reservations about signing him at this stage of his career when work ethic is key to longevity. I think he has begun an irreversible slide into mediocrity - actually that would be a huge improvement for him to rise to mediocrity right now.

RW11 - I can't say I get to see alot of Detroit games so I'm no expert on him. But my impression is that he is a physical specimen with the package of size, speed and hands but is lackadaisical and never devleoped his route running skills. I guess we'll see what kind of player he is here with a good WR coach and a good QB when Romo returns. I never minded bringing him in so much as I was bothered about losing the picks that I thought we could use at OL/NT/ILB. I have perhaps been unfairly harsh on the kid. Of all the players, he is the one I would give the best chance of turning into a consistent Pro Bowler.

My big problem with the team right now is that Jerry is repeating the mistakes of the 90s teams where he just keeps re-signing guys who are getting old and losing some of the hunger.

Maybe the bigger issue is the lack of intensity which starts with HC. However, I still think he went crazy with the contracts and failed to address the biggest problem with the player personnel - the lack of a proper NT and the lack of athleticism at ILB. We are getting eaten alive on defense by every team with a decent running game.

I don't get the point in bringing up contracts. Its not our money. We're in great salary cap situation. Players get paid to perform. If they don't they know their contract is not guaranteed. Guys just aren't playing up to par. And I think the NT is fine. I just don't know if we should even be in the 3-4. I'd like to see a defensive line of Ware, Tank, Ratliff and Ellis to be honest. But Ratliff is fine. He's been one of the few brightspots on this team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Eskimo;2394304 said:
I view the average ypg stat as flawed when viewing this team's run defense. Teams that have made it a mission to pound us have been successful and will be successful. We are just way too weak up the middle and that whole part of the defense needs to be revamped.

We'll have some more tests upcoming with games against the Steelers and re-matches with the Skins and Giants.

A good running team is going to run it on you regardless. You shouldn't be ashamed of letting Stephen Jackson, Brandon Jacobs and Clinton Portis run all over you. They're good backs and they're paid to be good backs.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dbair1967;2393257 said:
That pretty much sums up my thoughts. I know we have alot of injuries, and I didnt expect us to win today but I also didnt expect to see such a lackluster effort either. It's over for this team this year. I'm sure some will cry and complain, saying its being a chicken little or giving up on them, but seriously. This team is just lousy.

What a train wreck this team is now. Its so painfully obvious this team doesn't want to play for Wade Phillips. He's clueless in just about every way possible.

Yeah, but they look good in practice.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
dbair1967;2393257 said:
3) I cant believe we paid Ken Hamlin 40 million dollars...he got his money and mailed it in the second he cashed the check...he's gotta be one of the worst starting safeties in football right now...bad vs the pass and run...he takes poor angles on just about every play...

Look it up people. I was very against giving this guy anything. His probowl had nothing to do w/ his play. It was all about wearing a star on his helmet. It really sucks that Jerry pays these guys.

Zen

Reaction score
Just looked up Jerrah Jones age, damn he is only 68. I thought for sure old wrinkly was 70 something. I hope he eats lots of bacon. Maybe he will get more plastic surgery, the anisethetic is always a 50/50 chance at his age of killing him. Man Bill was here and he wanted to be a GM it would of been a perfect fit, Bill has a big enough rep and a big enough attitude to keep Jerrah from being Jerrah. As to signing players to big contracts(FA) that is the sign of a good owner not a good GM. We still have time till the Jerrah effect comes into place..... I say 3 years. 3 years for Jerrah to sign someone he has to listen to.:bang2:

Eskimo

Reaction score
rocyaice;2394335 said:
A good running team is going to run it on you regardless. You shouldn't be ashamed of letting Stephen Jackson, Brandon Jacobs and Clinton Portis run all over you. They're good backs and they're paid to be good backs.

They've gashed us to a ridiculous degree. I am sorry that you think that is acceptable for a good defense.

Eskimo

Reaction score
rocyaice;2394319 said:
I don't get the point in bringing up contracts. Its not our money. We're in great salary cap situation. Players get paid to perform. If they don't they know their contract is not guaranteed. Guys just aren't playing up to par. And I think the NT is fine. I just don't know if we should even be in the 3-4. I'd like to see a defensive line of Ware, Tank, Ratliff and Ellis to be honest. But Ratliff is fine. He's been one of the few brightspots on this team.

We are not in great salary cap position for next year where we could have looked for some players to address areas of weakness such as NT, OG, ILB. Adam has said many times that next year will be tight.

After that, I could care less as it is Jerry's money and he can do what he wants when there is no salary cap.

In terms of a switch to a 4-3, we can't do it in the middle of the season and it negates the strengths of Spencer and Ware who I think are going to be a great pair of bookend 3-4 OLBs. Ratliff and Spears will make a pretty solid set of 3-4 DEs. NT is the issue and Rat is just not built for the position but he does try very hard.

Eskimo

Reaction score
dmq;2394540 said:
Look it up people. I was very against giving this guy anything. His probowl had nothing to do w/ his play. It was all about wearing a star on his helmet. It really sucks that Jerry pays these guys.

Some of these guys get their money and lose the hunger. I think Flo and Hamlin are guilty of this.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
dbair1967;2393397 said:
you see anything there to dispute?

this team should not be this mediocre, period.

You left Garrett off the hook?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394754 said:
Some of these guys get their money and lose the hunger. I think Flo and Hamlin are guilty of this.

I think flo is injured and playing hurt. I applaud him for that and not the opposite.

and hamlin is a pitiful player. He does nothing. He doesnt offer support in the running game and he makes zero plays as a cover safety.

Eskimo

Reaction score
theebs;2394781 said:
I think flo is injured and playing hurt. I applaud him for that and not the opposite.

and hamlin is a pitiful player. He does nothing. He doesnt offer support in the running game and he makes zero plays as a cover safety.

Flo has been bad all-year, not just since the Az game. I don't think he has the same hunger he did last year when he was on just about every game.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394788 said:
Flo has been bad all-year, not just since the Az game. I don't think he has the same hunger he did last year when he was on just about every game.

Hey I am not contesting he isnt as good as last year. Last year he gave up only 3.5 sacks. So it is obvious he is struggling, but I still applaud him for playing with pain and not offering any excuses.

When romo gets back all those guys will look better. Not great, but better and I will settle for that right now.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
I think one of the problems with this team is that we're a philosophically flawed organization.

From an owner having his fingerprints in everything, to the overemphasis on the personnel and not the system, to going for glitz and glamour over a hard-nosed mentality.

We're a soft team at the point of attack. Our defense seems to get pushed backward. When a tackle is made, the runner seems to be falling forward. You never see us devise unique schemes offensively or defensively. You don't hear about how difficult it is to game plan for that Dallas defense; and on offense, we don't even know how to utilize Felix Jones for crying out loud!

And as for overvaluing players and not the system, look at the successful organizations in this league. There is typically a long-standing coach, or at least a philosophical approach to what sort of scheme/coach to acquire. We go through coaches like a pair of underwear, and don't have a long-standing scheme in place.

We seemed to have that developing under Parcells. But then he leaves, and instead of keeping things "in-house" and promoting a Parcells guy to keep the same organizational approach in place, we bring in a bunch of outsiders -- Wade, Stewart, Garrett, Campo, Houck; the list goes on. Now we're ready to toss all them out and start over again.

Not many quarterbacks the caliber of Tony Romo undergo this much coaching change (or potential coaching change) in the prime of their career.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RainMan;2394806 said:
I think one of the problems with this team is that we're a philosophically flawed organization.

From an owner having his fingerprints in everything, to the overemphasis on the personnel and not the system, to going for glitz and glamour over a hard-nosed mentality.
That's it exactly...

Well, at least on defense. On offense, at least we have some big bruisers in Gurode, Bigg, and Flo. Colombo may not be as physically talented as they are, but he's mean as hell.

Only Kosier isn't a huge brute, but even he is pretty good.

It's on defense where I think we just don't have the personnel up front to be dominating. People talk about the Titans and Ravens and even Patriots defenses, but look at how they are built, with multiple top players in the front seven. We don't have a Haynesworth or Ngata or Seymour or Wilfork... Or even close to it.

But what is Jerry's plan for last year's early picks and next year's with Roy Williams? More toys for Romo and Garrett.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2394825 said:
That's it exactly...

Well, at least on defense. On offense, at least we have some big bruisers in Gurode, Bigg, and Flo. Colombo may not be as physically talented as they are, but he's mean as hell.

Only Kosier isn't a huge brute, but even he is pretty good.

It's on defense where I think we just don't have the personnel up front to be dominating. People talk about the Titans and Ravens and even Patriots defenses, but look at how they are built, with multiple top players in the front seven. We don't have a Haynesworth or Ngata or Seymour or Wilfork... Or even close to it.

But what is Jerry's plan for last year's early picks and next year's with Roy Williams? More toys for Romo and Garrett.

Yep, you hit it on the head. We've build our defense outside-in instead of inside-out. And the one high pick we did invest in the defensive line (Spears) was a major whiff.

I can't recall many organizations that have won championships in recent time that built their team the way we have. I'd like to think if we're ever going to win, it's going to be in the Colts' model -- great offense and a defense that gets hot at the right time. But again, there are great differences between the examples -- one of which being a head coach of quality.

Our offense (when healthy) is great and gives us a chance to win every week. There's a reason why you just rarely, rarely see this team out of a game with Romo in a lineup. That's the power of a great quarterback.

But defensively, we're putrid. We're soft, thin-skinned and then when the miracle occurs that they actually play a good game, it's as if there's this sense of fulfillment for doing something one week and they don't match the effort the following week.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
theebs;2394791 said:
Hey I am not contesting he isnt as good as last year. Last year he gave up only 3.5 sacks. So it is obvious he is struggling, but I still applaud him for playing with pain and not offering any excuses.

When romo gets back all those guys will look better. Not great, but better and I will settle for that right now.

I think that will be the case. Romo has great pocket awareness, and when he is clicking, he can feel and avoid and deliver or bail. The two guys we played today stayed at point x and were easy targets.

Man, Brad Johnson is done. That was pitiful. I was holding out hope, but cutting Matt Moore was a big mistake. You don't cut pass rushers and quarterbacks, and we cut our 6th round pick this year.