Post game thoughts- wasted season

Eskimo

Reaction score
theogt;2393629 said:
So basically signing 4 probowlers, trading a backup NT for a 6th round pick, and letting a backup QB go.

Absolutely terrible, I tell you.

And I hope you're not suggesting that Anthony Spencer was a wasted pick. He was the 2nd best player on defense today outside of Ware.

Those 4 "Pro Bowlers" were horribly overrated and a proper GM would have handled the situation better. Anyways, they were Pro Bowlers - none of them will make it this year or very likely ever again because they are overrated.

Spencer is fine, I was talking about Carp and Burnett.

Nexx

Reaction score
this coaching staff doesnt know how to make adjustments. wade is too afraid to make changes. just look how long he rolled with brad. he's afraid to stick holland in there. he's afraid to start roy williams. he is afraid to put free in for flo. he goes with what he is familiar with and is afraid to make changes.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eskimo;2393641 said:
Those 4 "Pro Bowlers" were horribly overrated and a proper GM would have handled the situation better. Anyways, they were Pro Bowlers - none of them will make it this year or very likely ever again because they are overrated.

Spencer is fine, I was talking about Carp and Burnett.
Wow. What can I say other than I'm glad you're no where near our front office?

There's overreaction, and then there's this sort of tripe.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2393309 said:
The funny thing here, is, everyone absolves the GM from the blame. And he is not getting fired, so don't expect anything changing.

HC's name will change, but this team will remain the same. I refuse to believe its the coaches anymore. GM should be the first one to take blame.

He will hire another coach, make statements about, he has to get it right and get teary eyed again. ANd then we will be back to same old same old in a season or two.

On the nosey.

The ONLY constant in the equation over the years since Jimmy left is Jerry Jones.

Eskimo

Reaction score
This is Our Year;2393640 said:
Yeah, I really wish we still had Fergie!!!! Not a super star, but a solid player good against the run and was a leader on the defense vocally. Johnson just isn't a fit in this 34 scheme.

Neither does Rat - not as an NT.

A DL of Spears/Fergie/Rat and I think we are looking at a very different defense this year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
theogt;2393665 said:

I don't see Barber, Flo, Hamlin and RW11 as Pro Bowl caliber players in the future - I guess we'll see who is right.

Which do you think are making return trips to Hawaii?

ghosttown cowboy

Wyoming's #1 boys fan
Reaction score
I've picked the Cowboy's to lose three out of the last four in the pick 'em pool I'm in...this team has no heart, and they just seem like they don't care at all about winning...they have been crap since the philly game at home last year, and I don't expect it to change...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2393665 said:

Which part is "tripe"?

I'd be willing to bet 75% of last year's Pro Bowlers don't come close this season.

Witten, Ware, maybe Romo.

That's about it as far as I can see.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eskimo;2393691 said:
I don't see Barber, Flo, Hamlin and RW11 as Pro Bowl caliber players in the future - I guess we'll see who is right.

Which do you think are making return trips to Hawaii?

stasheroo;2393704 said:
Which part is "tripe"?

I'd be willing to bet 75% of last year's Pro Bowlers don't come close this season.

Witten, Ware, maybe Romo.

That's about it as far as I can see.
Maybe not this season, but my guess is all of them have at least one more pro bowl season left in them.

Guess I missed where all of our starters had to be yearly pro bowlers for our GM to not be an idiot. Great argument, guys!!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;2393709 said:
Maybe not this season, but my guess is all of them have at least one more pro bowl season left in them.

I hope you're right!

Eskimo

Reaction score
theogt;2393709 said:

Guess I missed where all of our starters had to be yearly pro bowlers for our GM to not be an idiot. Great argument, guys!!!!!

We'll agree to disagree then.

Barber has been shown to be nothing more than a complimentary back who has alot of heart but is as slow as molasses to the hole.

Flo has just packed it in - he was bad even before the injuries started piling up on him. He was playing for one more big contract last year. He has nothing left to play for.

Hamlin is mediocre - that's all he ever will be. He lucked into the Pro Bowl on the basis of some INTs last year. He is not good.

RW11 - he's the guy who has the best chance but I doubt he can make it with TO lined up opposite him. I also just don't think he's that good. He may put up the odd thousand yard year playing with Romo. The sad part for him is that his strength is Romo's weakness - the deep ball.

I never really saw any of these guys as that integral to the team. This team goes as Romo/Witten/TO/DWare/TNew go. Those other guys are just overpaid complimentary pieces that our GM has overrated.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Eskimo;2393738 said:
We'll agree to disagree then.

Barber has been shown to be nothing more than a complimentary back who has alot of heart but is as slow as molasses to the hole.
He's 7th in the league in rushing behind a vastly underperforming O-line. His style of play will always make him better with a complement. That's why we draft Felix, no?

Flo has just packed it in - he was bad even before the injuries started piling up on him. He was playing for one more big contract last year. He has nothing left to play for.
Flo has been bad, but he's not really standing out on the O-line to me. They're all bad right now. That will turn around when Tony comes back and their back is against the wall. It's just a matter of motivation. Unfortunately Garrett can't keep them motivated.

Hamlin is mediocre - that's all he ever will be. He lucked into the Pro Bowl on the basis of some INTs last year. He is not good.
He deserved the Pro Bowl last year. He was fantastic. He's equally good in coverage and run support. That's rare. He could play FS or SS -- again, those types are valuable and rare. He won't this year because his numbers are poor, but I'd say last year is more representive of his history than this year, at least coverage wise. And that stats clearly back that up.

RW11 - he's the guy who has the best chance but I doubt he can make it with TO lined up opposite him. I also just don't think he's that good. He may put up the odd thousand yard year playing with Romo. The sad part for him is that his strength is Romo's weakness - the deep ball.
His strength is the deep ball? That's couldn't be more wrong. He even considers himself more of a possession receiver.

He and Tony are going to have a field day. My guess is they become the leading TD duo in the league.

I never really saw any of these guys as that integral to the team. This team goes as Romo/Witten/TO/DWare/TNew go. Those other guys are just overpaid complimentary pieces that our GM has overrated.
Wow. This is just plain dumb. Yeah, all you need on a team is a few playmakers and the rest of the guys don't matter.

Are you drunk? I only ask because normally you appear much smarter than this.

es22

Reaction score
Everyone is being dramatic.

The Steelers were 5-5 and won the Super Bowl. The Giants made their run at the end of the season.

We have played like crap, but we are still over .500. Our season starts in 2 weeks. We need to develop an attitude, get healthy and hope players like Zack, T.O. are able to fire up the team.

We have to take care out divison. This is the key. Both Balt and Pitt are beatable . The Washington game will tell us whether we have a chance or not this year.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Romo is still gonna be nursing a broken 5th metacarpal - like it or not.

plus the steelers & giants had Grade-A coaches. OTOH we have the 3 stooges jerry, wade & jason.

es22;2393909 said:

The Steelers were 5-5 and won the Super Bowl. The Giants made their run at the end of the season.

We have played like crap, but we are still over .500. Our season starts in 2 weeks. We need to develop an attitude, get healthy and hope players like Zack, T.O. are able to fire up the team.

We have to take care out divison. This is the key. Both Balt and Pitt are beatable . The Washington game will tell us whether we have a chance or not this year.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
es22;2393909 said:

Uh, no.

The Steelers were 7-5 after losing 3 in a row. They started 7-2.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
chinch;2393931 said:
Romo is still gonna be nursing a broken 5th metacarpal - like it or not.

plus the steelers & giants had Grade-A coaches. OTOH we have the 3 stooges jerry, wade & jason.
If Romo's hand was 110%, it wouldn't change the facts that Flozell Adams is "protecting" his back side, and Andre Gurode is still clueless.

Mace

Reaction score
I'm not even a Cowboy's fan and I can't understand why you guys are throwing in the towel when you have a winning record. It doesn't make sense to me.

You get your franchise QB back next week. And then 10 wins and a wildcard is pretty realistic.

I know it's not the gaudy 13-3 you guys enjoyed last year. But the goal is to get to the playoffs, and with a winning record you're still very much in that hunt.

I don't get it. If you had lost with Romo, I could understand. But you didn't. Granted, it would have been nice if your front office had thought about having a NFL caliber backup QB. But that stretch is over now, you guys are acting like Romo is on IR or something.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
es22;2393909 said:

Yea i'm dissapointed in Dallas fans. This is the type of nonsense i'd expect from other teams fans but not us. The season isn't over. We're 5-4. Fact is, the season won't be handed to us like last season. That's the only difference between now and last season. We're going to have to earn a playoff berth. We determine our own fait. People wanted this season to be given to us. Just like the Giants last year if we're gonna win a championship we're gonna have ot earn it. The season isn't over.