Post game thoughts- wasted season

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Why are people blaming the GM for solidifying young pro-bowl talent to long term contracts? Isn't that what a good GM does? Or did you all think the pro-Bowl is overrated now because of how poorly the team is playing due to injuries this year?

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2393971 said:
Why are people blaming the GM for solidifying pro-bowl talent to long term contracts? Isn't that what a good GM does? Or did you all think the pro-Bowl is overrated now because of how poorly the team is playing due to injuries?
more spin.

Newsflash: jerruh is a TERRIBLE gm.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I just think we have lost our way on building the team here.

1. Games are won and lost on the line

2. The fundamentals of this game are blocking and tackling

3. This is mostly a young person's game

Jerry has fallen into the trap of overrating players on the basis of a very good 13-3 season. It caused him to believe players who had career seasons were better than they really are.

Hamlin has shown for long enough that he is far from an upper echelon safety. He has regressed back to his mean performance this year. He is not the cause of our failure but he also is not a consistent force as a tackler or coverage player.

MB3 runs with alot of heart but without much quickness to the hole and this is his weakness. I don't see him being a premier type RB in this league and that is what you have to be to make the Pro Bowl. He was worth the 5-year 25M deal that was being floated towards the end of the year but not the one he ended up getting.

Flo - just don't trust the guy. From game one this year he has looked different than the dominant player he was last year. I had reservations about signing him at this stage of his career when work ethic is key to longevity. I think he has begun an irreversible slide into mediocrity - actually that would be a huge improvement for him to rise to mediocrity right now.

RW11 - I can't say I get to see alot of Detroit games so I'm no expert on him. But my impression is that he is a physical specimen with the package of size, speed and hands but is lackadaisical and never devleoped his route running skills. I guess we'll see what kind of player he is here with a good WR coach and a good QB when Romo returns. I never minded bringing him in so much as I was bothered about losing the picks that I thought we could use at OL/NT/ILB. I have perhaps been unfairly harsh on the kid. Of all the players, he is the one I would give the best chance of turning into a consistent Pro Bowler.

My big problem with the team right now is that Jerry is repeating the mistakes of the 90s teams where he just keeps re-signing guys who are getting old and losing some of the hunger.

Maybe the bigger issue is the lack of intensity which starts with HC. However, I still think he went crazy with the contracts and failed to address the biggest problem with the player personnel - the lack of a proper NT and the lack of athleticism at ILB. We are getting eaten alive on defense by every team with a decent running game.

Eskimo

Reaction score
One more thing about Barber is that Felix has no trouble running behind it. Even though he is 7th in the league he is only averaging 3.9 ypc and in 6/9 games he is averaging under 4 ypc. Those are the sort of numbers JuJo would put up.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394015 said:
One more thing about Barber is that Felix has no trouble running behind it. Even though he is 7th in the league he is only averaging 3.9 ypc and in 6/9 games he is averaging under 4 ypc. Those are the sort of numbers JuJo would put up.

I'm sorry, but you must not be considering the QBs we've had behind the line attempting to throw passes back there. How anyone is complaining about Barber is beyond me right now. Blame the GM for not getting a decent backup QB, but asking the running back to continuously run well when the defense can put eight in the box against you because the QB doesn't scare you is asinine.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2394002 said:
Then go root for another team because he's not leaving.
take a hike yourself.

i've been a fan and attended many games long before oil-man football idiot jerruh purchased the 'boys.

there's always hope - like the bad gambler he is - that he'll bottom out and call in the NFL rescue squad (cowher or anyone with an actual clue and winning culture)

txlonghorn14

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with this post. Watching this team is a waste of time on Sunday. I can't wait till Wade Phillips is gone. This team is so over hyped and over paid, I'm sick of watching their pathetic efforts. Too many penalties, not enough effort.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
chinch;2394034 said:
take a hike yourself.

i've been a fan and attended many games long before oil-man football idiot jerruh purchased the 'boys.

there's always hope - like the bad gambler he is - that he'll bottom out and call in the NFL rescue squad (cowher or anyone with an actual clue and winning culture)

Well, it's his team now and he is going to do whatever he wants with it, and I bet he probably cares more about the team winning than you ever will. Otherwise, he wouldn't have earned enough money to go and buy his dream team which you couldn't do.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Will you say the same things if we turn it around. I understand why you'd be so disappointed. But I don't think you'll feel this way next week towards the Wash game. All the regulars will be back and looking for a great game from Romo and beating the Skins up. We didn't play like this even earlier in the year. At our worse we were for the most part in the game. This loss and particularly the way it went was not unexpected. There are problems and some of it is coaching. The players have to tackle and block. That is not for the most part on the coaches. Maybe some but most of it is on them. If the OL played like they did early in the year we are invincible IMO.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2394027 said:
I'm sorry, but you must not be considering the QBs we've had behind the line attempting to throw passes back there. How anyone is complaining about Barber is beyond me right now. Blame the GM for not getting a decent backup QB, but asking the running back to continuously run well when the defense can put eight in the box against you because the QB doesn't scare you is asinine.

The problems in the running game preceded Romo's injury but things have gotten worse over the last two weeks for sure. Even with Romo, 4/6 games Barber averaged less than 4 ypc.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2394046 said:
Well, it's his team now and he is going to do whatever he wants with it, and I bet he probably cares more about the team winning than you ever will. Otherwise, he wouldn't have earned enough money to go and buy his dream team which you couldn't do.
he'll run it into the ground as he has the last decade

i'll bet the football idiot pumps billions into the boys and they never sniff out a Lombardi Trophy with him INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH PLAYERS AND WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FIELD.

the guy is a great marketer & snake oil salesman... it ends there.

sorry all the $$$$$$$$$ in the world can't buy common sense or a lombardi without riding jimmuh coattails in dallas.

Eskimo

Reaction score
jobberone;2394050 said:
Will you say the same things if we turn it around. I understand why you'd be so disappointed. But I don't think you'll feel this way next week towards the Wash game. All the regulars will be back and looking for a great game from Romo and beating the Skins up. We didn't play like this even earlier in the year. At our worse we were for the most part in the game. This loss and particularly the way it went was not unexpected. There are problems and some of it is coaching. The players have to tackle and block. That is not for the most part on the coaches. Maybe some but most of it is on them. If the OL played like they did early in the year we are invincible IMO.

But that will only be because they hide the weakness we have up the middle against the run by forcing teams to become 1-dimensional. We are not good against the run and need to play with a lead.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394061 said:
The problems in the running game preceded Romo's injury but things have gotten worse over the last two weeks for sure. Even with Romo, 4/6 games Barber averaged less than 4 ypc.

I don't what the stats are. You'll have to post them for me. However, the offensive line is a unit that requires all it's components to work effectively as a team. We were fine with Kosier in there and simply dominant. We've been horrible with Procter in there as his replacement and our terrible backup QBs. I simply do not believe Barber is a problem at all which makes him undeserving of the contract that Jerry gave him.

In fact, if we look back at all the threads concerning his signing and locking up Barber for a long term deal, the majority of posters were happy about it. Now that things aren't going well, everyone is crying about locking up the same pro-Bowl players. It's stupidity to me.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
chinch;2394069 said:
he'll run it into the ground as he has the last decade

i'll bet the football idiot pumps billions into the boys and they never sniff out a Lombardi Trophy with him INVOLVED IN ANY WAY WITH PLAYERS AND WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FIELD.

the guy is a great marketer & snake oil salesman... it ends there.

sorry all the $$$$$$$$$ in the world can't buy common sense or a lombardi without riding jimmuh coattails in dallas.

Don't waste your time on Sultan. He'd cut his hand off before criticizing Jerry or the team. It's always someone else's fault.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2394081 said:
I don't what the stats are. You'll have to post them for me. But, the offensive line is a unit that requires all it's components to work effectively as a team. We were fine with Kosier in there and simply dominant. We've been horrible with Procter in there as his replacement. I simply do not believe Barber is a problem at all which makes him undeserving of the contract that Jerry gave him.

In fact, if we look back at all the threads concerning his signing and locking up Barber for a long term deal, the majority of posters were happy about it. Now that things aren't going well, everyone is crying about locking up the same pro-Bowl players. It's stupidity to me.

No, there was a substantial minority who did not like the deal at the time because we felt Barber had not gotten enough chances to start to decide whether he could be a true feature elite RB. I think this year has suggested that he is not well-suited to the role with the drop in ypc and the increase in fumbles.

If you ask whether Barber is the problem - no he is not. However, he is overpaid which is another matter altogether. I guess it really won't matter how much he is paid after next year anyways when the cap is gone.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
bbgun;2394095 said:
Don't waste your time on Sultan. He'd cut his hand off before criticizing Jerry or the team. It's always someone else's fault.

Actually, I've criticized Jerry quite a bit, for his boneheaded moves as a GM in the late 90s and early 00s. Unlike yourself, and others who are constantly and repetitively saying Jerry needs to be fired whenever something isn't going well.

Where were you people last year giving him credit?

Nowhere, because you people are hypocrites, especially you.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
whoever gave jerruh credit for ANYTHING FOOTBALL RELATED is obviously a homer.

anyone sensible gave jerruh credit for building a new stadium and extracting PSL $$$ from texans.

nothing more.

SultanOfSix;2394119 said:
Actually, I've criticized Jerry quite a bit, for his boneheaded moves as a GM in the late 90s and early 00s. Unlike yourself, and others who are constantly and repetitively saying Jerry needs to be fired whenever something isn't going well.

Where were you people last year giving him credit?

Nowhere, because you people are hypocrites, especially you.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
These last three weeks have been pretty hard on my stomach. We even caught the Giants when they were in the mood to gift us some turnovers and it was still an absolute whoopin. Probably the best offensive skill players in the league, but no one to throw it and absolutely no time to throw.