Post game thoughts- wasted season

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
RainMan;2394841 said:
But defensively, we're putrid. We're soft, thin-skinned and then when the miracle occurs that they actually play a good game, it's as if there's this sense of fulfillment for doing something one week and they don't match the effort the following week.

I guess where I disagree with this is that they're "soft". I just don't think they're that good. Ware is great, obviously, but he's an edge rusher. Other than that we have a bunch of average players except for Ratliff, who has a great heart but should be an end. Ellis and Zach are old, Spears and Canty are JAGs, and Bradie just sucks.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
dbair1967;2393257 said:
3) I cant believe we paid Ken Hamlin 40 million dollars...he got his money and mailed it in the second he cashed the check...he's gotta be one of the worst starting safeties in football right now...bad vs the pass and run...he takes poor angles on just about every play...

now i know i've heard this before about another player...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Eskimo;2394748 said:
We are not in great salary cap position for next year where we could have looked for some players to address areas of weakness such as NT, OG, ILB. Adam has said many times that next year will be tight.

I've never said that. I've said cap room will be important next year if the CBA isn't extended, because of the rules that will come into play in the final cap year. We're in good cap shape next year with plenty of flexibility and very few -- if any -- key players who will be free agents.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2394771 said:
You left Garrett off the hook?

He deserves some critcism, but when the two QB's who have played the last three games have been so bad he doesnt deserve as much of the blame.

We'll see what the offense looks like after the bye when Romo and Felix Jones return, and probably LG Kosier too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2395033 said:
He deserves some critcism, but when the two QB's who have played the last three games have been so bad he doesnt deserve as much of the blame.

We'll see what the offense looks like after the bye when Romo and Felix Jones return, and probably LG Kosier too.

I don't think Garrett should get a free pass for those quarterbacks.

I think he played a significant role in those two guys being the Cowboys' backup quarterbacks so he deserves a great deal of blame for their ineptitude.

Nav22

Reaction score
We were 4-2 with Tony Romo at QB.

The 2 losses were both very winnable.

If we finish 5-2, we're likely in the playoffs. Where anything can happen.

I'm not giving up on a damn thing. I knew heading into LAST week's game with the Bucs that if we split the 2 games heading into the bye, we'd be giving ourselves a fighting chance for the last 7 games.

We did that. The loss today doesn't change that.

As T.O. likes to say, "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

But supreme overreaction on this board after a loss is, like AdamJT13 said, like clockwork.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2395068 said:
We were 4-2 with Tony Romo at QB.

The 2 losses were both very winnable.

If we finish 5-2, we're likely in the playoffs. Where anything can happen.

I'm not giving up on a damn thing. I knew heading into LAST week's game with the Bucs that if we split the 2 games heading into the bye, we'd be giving ourselves a fighting chance for the last 7 games.

We did that. The loss today doesn't change that.

As T.O. likes to say, "It's not how you start, it's how you finish."

But supreme overreaction on this board after a loss is, like AdamJT13 said, like clockwork.

Yeah.

A team with the most talent-laden roster in the league and Super Bowl aspirations is 5-4 and in last place in their division desperate to just make the playoffs at this point.

"Definitely overreacting."

"Definitely overreacting."

uesc_09_img0509.jpg

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
It is a wasted season.

Bill Parcells built the organization back to respectability and then when he left Jerry thought he'd take the keys back and lo and behold, we're heading back down again.

I know it's not Jerry fault that BP retired. But it's most definitely his fault that he decided to take a more hands on approach again after Parcells was out the door.

It's unreal how one man can have such a negative effect on an organization.

Nav22

Reaction score
A team with the most talent-laden roster in the league and Super Bowl aspirations is 5-4 and in last place in their division desperate to just make the playoffs at this point.
Haha...

Again, the overreaction is like clockwork.

There is no "desperation" because there are still 7 games left for us, and 8 games left for most other teams.

Yeah, we're 5-4 largely due to injury. We were 4-2 with Romo, and we'll be getting Romo back after the bye.

If you're ready to jump off the bandwagon, go for it. But I personally see no reason why we can't win at least 5 of our last 7 games with a healthy Romo, Felix, and Newman. I truly believe this team will be in the playoffs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nav22;2395257 said:
Haha...

Again, the overreaction is like clockwork.

There is no "desperation" because there are still 7 games left for us, and 8 games left for most other teams.

Yeah, we're 5-4 largely due to injury. We were 4-2 with Romo, and we'll be getting Romo back after the bye.

If you're ready to jump off the bandwagon, go for it. But I personally see no reason why we can't win at least 5 of our last 7 games with a healthy Romo, Felix, and Newman. I truly believe this team will be in the playoffs.

Good for you.

I hope you're right.

But to claim that people are 'overreacting' to being 5-4 is not accurate.

I guarantee if anyone told you before the season that this team would have been 5-4 at the bye you'd have said they were crazy.

But when it happens, suddenly everyone should lower their standards and expectations to fit what they're getting.

Not me.

I'll always be a fan but that doesn't mean I have to like everything they give me.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
RainMan;2394806 said:
I think one of the problems with this team is that we're a philosophically flawed organization.

From an owner having his fingerprints in everything, to the overemphasis on the personnel and not the system, to going for glitz and glamour over a hard-nosed mentality.

We're a soft team at the point of attack. Our defense seems to get pushed backward. When a tackle is made, the runner seems to be falling forward. You never see us devise unique schemes offensively or defensively. You don't hear about how difficult it is to game plan for that Dallas defense; and on offense, we don't even know how to utilize Felix Jones for crying out loud!

And as for overvaluing players and not the system, look at the successful organizations in this league. There is typically a long-standing coach, or at least a philosophical approach to what sort of scheme/coach to acquire. We go through coaches like a pair of underwear, and don't have a long-standing scheme in place.

We seemed to have that developing under Parcells. But then he leaves, and instead of keeping things "in-house" and promoting a Parcells guy to keep the same organizational approach in place, we bring in a bunch of outsiders -- Wade, Stewart, Garrett, Campo, Houck; the list goes on. Now we're ready to toss all them out and start over again.

Not many quarterbacks the caliber of Tony Romo undergo this much coaching change (or potential coaching change) in the prime of their career.

Great post.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
Nav22;2395257 said:
Yeah, we're 5-4 largely due to injury. We were 4-2 with Romo, and we'll be getting Romo back after the bye..

great selective memory ignoring we finished the season 1-3 last year with Romo carrying around Jessica's purse in the USA & Mexico. without the flukey Det game which camouflaged our tailspin, we'd have finished 1-4

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Juke99;2393666 said:
On the nosey.

The ONLY constant in the equation over the years since Jimmy left is Jerry Jones.

I've ran to the highest mountain tops and screamed this until the Sherpa's hauled me off...................No one wants to hear THAT.

superpunk

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2394851 said:
I guess where I disagree with this is that they're "soft". I just don't think they're that good. Ware is great, obviously, but he's an edge rusher. Other than that we have a bunch of average players except for Ratliff, who has a great heart but should be an end. Ellis and Zach are old, Spears and Canty are JAGs, and Bradie just sucks.
Very few teams have rosters full of defensive stars. We've got a great pass rusher, a good NT, an elite CB (when he plays the last two seasons), Spencer and Ellis are talented...I think they've got the talent necessary. They've shown it at times over the past three years.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
stasheroo;2395289 said:
Good for you.

I hope you're right.

But to claim that people are 'overreacting' to being 5-4 is not accurate.

I guarantee if anyone told you before the season that this team would have been 5-4 at the bye you'd have said they were crazy.

If anyone told me Romo would suffer an injury that would knock him out of three games and affect the result of another, a 5-4 record wouldn't have been surprising at all. And if someone had told me all of the other injuries/suspensions we'd suffer, anything better than 5-4 would have been surprising.

superpunk

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2395659 said:
If anyone told me Romo would suffer an injury that would knock him out of three games and affect the result of another, a 5-4 record wouldn't have been surprising at all. And if someone had told me all of the other injuries/suspensions we'd suffer, anything better than 5-4 would have been surprising.

Did that same anyone tell you that we were going to get rolled by the Rams? :(

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;2395644 said:
Very few teams have rosters full of defensive stars. We've got a great pass rusher, a good NT, an elite CB (when he plays the last two seasons), Spencer and Ellis are talented...I think they've got the talent necessary. They've shown it at times over the past three years.

I didn't say we needed a team full of stars. I said our front seven isn't that good. And I still don't think it is.

And it's not like we're horrible on defense. But we don't have the talent up front to be this incredible defense people seem to want.

And I don't think a guy like Bradie James is "soft" at all... He's just not very good. Spears is the one guy I'd say could get the "soft" tag, because he is very talented but, just like in college, he doesn't play to his potential.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2395680 said:
I didn't say we needed a team full of stars. I said our front seven isn't that good. And I still don't think it is.

And it's not like we're horrible on defense. But we don't have the talent up front to be this incredible defense people seem to want.

And I don't think a guy like Bradie James is "soft" at all... He's just not very good. Spears is the one guy I'd say could get the "soft" tag, because he is very talented but, just like in college, he doesn't play to his potential.

Totally agree. We seduced ourselves into thinking that guys drafted in the first three rounds just have to be good (Carp being an obvious exception). Our lying eyes say different. It drives me crazy when people say we have so much talent on the team, particularly on defense. No, we have a bunch of guys drafted high. "Talent" implies that you're proven or have performed at a consistent level. I don't see it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;2395659 said:

Again, this team got pushed around by the Arizona Cardinals with Romo.

His 'injury' didn't affect that game.

The team lost 2 games without Romo and 2 games with him.

And I don't give the team or the coaching staff a free pass to mediocrity because Romo got injured.

They had all offseason and plenty of candidates to try to fix the backup QB spot and they failed to do so.

This team was supposed to be as talented and as deep as any in football.

And it sure doesn't look like it.