Post Game Thoughts

Wrangler87

Reaction score
7) Jay Ratliff was dominant after the first series. And his play continues to enforce my theory that while he is a pretty good 3-4 NT, he's be an overwhelming 4-3 DT. He just couldnt be blocked.

100% disagree with you on this. Ratliff was getting owned on many of the running plays, because he is not a NT. The plays where Ratliff was most effective, was on pass rushing plays, which just goes to show that he should be a DE in this system, not a NT. Jettison Spears, get a real NT, and make Ratliff our starting DE.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Chief;2425346 said:
Good recap, David.

• I thought it was a very good performance by the defense, and I thought Newman was outstanding.
  • It's funny about Kosier. Flozell, Gurode and Davis go to the Pro Bowl, but perhaps Kosier was a lot better than any of us thought. Owens mentioned him at least twice in the postgame conference.
  • I really like Miles Austin. Not only is he a great athlete, but he's starting to show some football instincts, too.
  • I loved the anecdote in Mosely's column about Roy Williams talking up the offensive linemen during the last drive. That's the kind of thing that's needed in that huddle. And Roy had a good block on the game-clinching fourth-down play.
  • Martellus Bennett can be Russ Francis or he can be Jeramy Stevens. It's up to him. He has a lot of ability.
  • Marion Barber, for all his effort and success, is still under-appreciated by too many Cowboy fans.
  • Romo has an electric charisma that helps drive this team.
  • Jim Zorn looked like he had lost a family member last night. That was a distraught sideline, which warmed my heart.

I agree, great recap as usual David. :bow:

Loved the look on Zorn's face!!! :lmao2:

Tony Romo, you're my hero! I have always been a HUGE Staubach fan and he will always be one of my childhood/teen heroes, but Tony Romo is rapidly becoming one of my all-time favorite Cowboys. This guy will go down as our best QB ever by the time he is done. He is already the highest rated QB in NFL History and has proven to be a winner and an excellent leader.

Other guys who are becoming my favorites:

Jay Ratliff
Miles Austin
Marion Barber

Of course Jason Witten and DeMarcus Ware were already on the list. :D

If Terence Newman keeps playing like he did last night he will make my list too.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
Also, in regard to Kosier, I have hear in the past that Gurode relies on Kosier to help him call blocking assignments. Maybe that has more truth than any of us know. That could also be the reason Holland never played. At least Proctor could help Gurode with line calls, while it seems obvious that Holland cannot learn the play book. That would have been disasterous on the left side of the line.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2425115 said:
I agree. Kosier and the line in general played great. No sacks given up and when Dallas needed to end the game we shoved the ball right down the throat of one of the best run defense in NFL

Very true but for the life of me I can't tell you why. Kosier has always been susceptible to the bullrush and at times can look downright awful but since he has been in the line up the oline seems to step up their game. U guess old dlineman will never under stand the oline. :)

Wrangler87

Reaction score
adbutcher;2425402 said:
Very true but for the life of me I can't tell you why. Kosier has always been susceptible to the bullrush and at times can look downright awful but since he has been in the line up the oline seems to step up their game. U guess old dlineman will never under stand the oline. :)

I think he basically tells Gurode blocking assignments on virtually every play. That's why.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
adbutcher;2425402 said:

I think in large part because he works well with the guys around him. The O-line has to be able to play as a single unit and know exactly what each man is seeing. While Kosier is not our best O-lineman he fits well within the group

links18

Reaction score
popcorn;2425068 said:
If Jerry insist on the pacman--hopefully it's just for punt returns.

Are you sure you'd rather have Henry than Pacman covering receivers down the stretch?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2425414 said:
I think he basically tells Gurode blocking assignments on virtually every play. That's why.

I don't know what would motivate you to lie like that so I won't guess. What is factual, Gurode makes all of the line calls whether you like it or not.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2425428 said:
I think in large part because he works well with the guys around him. The O-line has to be able to play as a single unit and know exactly what each man is seeing. While Kosier is not our best O-lineman he fits well within the group

I agree in essence but Kosier reminds me of a South Park episode with I think his name is officer Barbrady who actually did keep the peace, lol.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
adbutcher;2424953 said:
Who knew Kyle Kosier was that valuable. The oline played great largely because his solidifying effect.

Great recap, once we get Unk back I suspect we would have enough to run the tables.

I'm honestly going through every possibility in my head of who the hell "Unk" could possibly be....

EDIT: Uncle Felix.... I should have known /sarcasm

FCBarca

Reaction score
Cowboys were fortunate, too...The ball bouncing off Cartwright on the late kickoff was a stroke of good luck...Portis not being 100% clearly helped because he seemed to be able to get very good yardage when he was out there...If Moss doesn't spin around on that deep ball, he maybe catches that for a TD (That play was such a dodged bullet).

Scandrick disappointed on his tackling technique on one play but Watkins really made a few terrible blunders, IMHO - Poor tackling and dumb penalty :rolleyes:

Jenkins with a terrific pass defense on Thomas late, gives you something to think about it for the future.

Henry is simply too slow to be covering anyone 1v1...Looked like he was running in sand.

Still have a hard time understanding why there are no screens??

Great catch from 'High & Tight'...Great catch

For a good portion of the 1st half I was asking 'Why aren't they throwing to #11??' and then he got a few...He really looks to be a terrific compliment to T.O., very anxious to see what the Romo-RW combo could like in the coming weeks

2much2soon

Reaction score
adbutcher;2425478 said:
I don't know what would motivate you to lie like that so I won't guess. What is factual, Gurode makes all of the line calls whether you like it or not.

I am guessing Kozier just provides a lot of leadership.
I have heard in the past Gurode is very intelligent - at least it was reported he tested very high on the IQ tests and had a high college gpa - so I'd imagine he can understand whats going on with the line.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overall, I thought this was a very solid win.

Not at all flashy, just solid in many areas.

I was most impressed because the Cowboys won with good, fundamental football.

They didn't need the flash and big-names to get it done.

They did it simply by playing good, smart football.

The offensive line played with aggression and dominated when it counted most. Great to see from what had been a disappointing unit the past several weeks. It all starts there.

The defense played very well overall, despite several 3rd and long gaffes which kept drives alive. That area still needs to be cleaned up.

Several players had solid games, but guys like Newman and Ratliff shined. Ware was his ususally disruptive self as well. Hopefully, the team discovered that it's smart to have Newman blanket opponents' top receivers.

Romo didn't look sharp in his first game back, hopefully he'll knock off the rust this week. Barber was a beast and seemed to relish the workhorse role in the 4th quarter. Kudos to Garrett for sticking with the running game. (And keep it up with the inside runs too!)

I'll have to admit I was pretty down on the team going into this game and they showed me something in this win.

It was a case of more substance than style which is what I was hoping for from this team. They really seemed to 'want it' last night.

Hopefully they won't get too happy with themselves and this kind of drive will continue for the rest of the season.

They made me want to believe again.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2425062 said:
Henry would be as bad at FS as he is at CB. He just needs to be on the bench.

Agreed. Even with a 10- or 20-yard head start, I still see him getting beat.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
dbair1967;2424927 said:
They cant say it isnt worth it either because last night they activated ALL THREE QB's just so one could hold for PAT's and FG's.

Bollinger wasn't active last night. He was designated the third QB, although he probably would have come in if Romo had gotten injured and was knocked out of the game.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rack;2425260 said:
Yeah cuz we really miss that 5 yard average per return he was giving us.

He was doing 100X better as a CB then he was as a punt returner before he got suspended.

Because our special teams is horrible over all... When have you even seen a wedge created for our players... BTW, this team played well because of a change in coaching as well... They played man-to-man, allowing the defense to get pressure on Campbell. The offense attacked the edges in the run agme and Jason Garrett shortened the field with quick slants and used TO in motion alot...Adam Jones, while he does not seem to be needed right now, if he gets his game back to speed and Wade employs man-to-man like he did against the Commanders, this secondary would be dominant and this defensive line would most probably just destroy the opposing QBs...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
FCBarca;2425497 said:
The ball bouncing off Cartwright on the late kickoff was a stroke of good luck...

... and the ball going out of bounds was a stroke of good luck for the Skins.

adamknite

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425565 said:
Bollinger wasn't active last night. He was designated the third QB, although he probably would have come in if Romo had gotten injured and had to miss more than one play.

As long as it was in the 4th quarter. If the 3rd/emergency QB enters the game before the 4th quarter the other 2 qbs can no longer be used.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2425565 said:
Bollinger wasn't active last night. He was designated the third QB, although he probably would have come in if Romo had gotten injured and had to miss more than one play.

according to the team website before the game, he was active, did that change?