Game Day ***Pre-season Cowboys vs Bengals post game thread***

waving monkey

Reaction score
First of all, I don't think coaches use preseason as much as you think to install "game plans". Game plans are basically week to week adjustments to play calling schemes, etc. There is little scouting in preseason. I suspect game plans are pretty vanilla in the preseason.

My larger point is about the plays being called. I don't think you will see much difference between preseason and regular season in Dallas. So if people are thinking that the short passes and some of the conservative stuff we see in preseason is just because it's preseason, I am not sure they are being honest with themselves. I think in terms of what we want to do on offense, what you see now is largely what you are going to see in the regular season. Will it be enough?

We are going to find out.
First of all, I don't think coaches use preseason as much as you think to install "game plans". Game plans are basically week to week adjustments to play calling schemes, etc. There is little scouting in preseason. I suspect game plans are pretty vanilla in the preseason.

My larger point is about the plays being called. I don't think you will see much difference between preseason and regular season in Dallas. So if people are thinking that the short passes and some of the conservative stuff we see in preseason is just because it's preseason, I am not sure they are being honest with themselves. I think in terms of what we want to do on offense, what you see now is largely what you are going to see in the regular season. Will it be enough?

what I do agree with is "we'll see"

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have the worse DT’s , Safeties , and TE’s in the league. Let that sink in.

Our WRs are crap with the exception of Gallup. Our QB is a gamer but he just doesn't have the skill set to do it. Our depth is once again way overstated.

This is a 6 win team this year. You can't line up that slop on offense and expect to contend for anything. You'd need the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens defense to overcome it.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Frankly, I am starting to believe that JJ would rather come up short in the regular season/playoffs with a puppet rather than win a SB with a coach who would get alot of credit. That's gotta be the only reason that the " Ivy League Ginger" is still employed.
This comment is the classic "cogitative bias". I think I'll send it to the Weird institute for Psychoanalysis

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Dak’s had 4 possessions with 2 TD’s and a FG. Without Zeke. Pretty good for the first team offense. Short passes and all.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Our WRs are crap with the exception of Gallup. Our QB is a gamer but he just doesn't have the skill set to do it. Our depth is once again way overstated.

This is a 6 win team this year. You can't line up that slop on offense and expect to contend for anything. You'd need the 85 Bears or the 2000 Ravens defense to overcome it.
You must be getting paid to post here.

DuDa

Reaction score
anybody know where I can watch a replay of the game?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

We look ok with the 'first' string offense even without EE. Back away from the ledge.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The cowboys are going to have one of the best rushing attacks in the league. Probably top 3 and maybe even the best.

Yet there is still all this hand wringing about the offense. I don’t get it.

The passing game doesn’t need to put up huge numbers. It just needs to be efficient and occasionally stretch the field.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
The cowboys are going to have one of the best rushing attacks in the league. Probably top 3 and maybe even the best.

Yet there is still all this hand wringing about the offense. I don’t get it.

The passing game doesn’t need to put up huge numbers. It just needs to be efficient and occasionally stretch the field.

I disagree except I think the passing game wins supported by an efficient running game. It's a matter of degree only.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Ok....for two straight weeks our starters and second stringers dominated the opponent defensively. I'm not sure why so many are on the ledge.

Our defense should be very, very good.

We were playing Cincinnati... !!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I still don't think Tapper makes the team. I'm not impressed with him as a rusher.

Foundation position on defense. He showed his speed and hustle. Looked good in preseason last year. I see too much value and upside to cut.

Rayman70

Reaction score
our starters are not the problem guys..except for the safety position. Zach will be fine day 1. BTW..can we just get EARL THOMAS DONE ALREADY? My worry is the depth or lack thereof at safety and oline. No quality at all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One would only hope...

To me the two big negatives to the game was the play of the OT's (Fleming & Green) which made evaluating the QB's very difficult because they were under constant duress.

And the tackling in the secondary after half-time... The tacking went from sure in the first half to abysmal. It was just awful.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
To me the two big negatives to the game was the play of the OT's (Fleming & Green) which made evaluating the QB's very difficult because they were under constant duress.

And the tackling in the secondary after half-time... The tacking went from sure in the first half to abysmal. It was just awful.

Honestly, I just feel like our bottom of the roster is lacking comparatively speaking to the same of other teams.

Garrett essentially called them out in a recent presser saying the second half play has been poor the last two weeks.

I agree on Fleming and Green, plus the entire second half defense was horrid for the most part and as you note, the tackling was trash.

Disappointed with the play of Brown and expected more from Ward.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I just feel like our bottom of the roster is lacking comparatively speaking to the same of other teams.

Garrett essentially called them out in a recent presser saying the second half play has been poor the last two weeks.

I agree on Fleming and Green, plus the entire second half defense was horrid for the most part and as you note, the tackling was trash.

Disappointed with the play of Brown and expected more from Ward.

Green I was expecting to be let-down, but Fleming? He's been decent in the past.

I don't expect Ward to make the team.