Game Day ***Pre-season Cowboys vs Bengals post game thread***

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Zack
Garrett said MRI tomorrow. First impression though was positive. Will evaluate more tomorrow.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Garrett would only say it's a knee and they feel positive about it but have to see the Mri.

Last edited:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Not really first team offense has scored 17 points on four drives so far.
appreciate that and it is preseason but the observation is comparing to the play last years play.
There were not a lot but enough poor execution to at least call it teaching points. Big room for improvement.
Im not worried about the first teams at all but our 2nd/3rd teams we need much more from.

waving monkey

Reaction score
A pretty good assessment IMO.

I also don't buy this whole notion of "it's the preseason, the Cowboys wont show their playbook" stuff people throw out. I might be more inclined to buy it if we have always seen a stark difference in what we see in the preseason and then the regular season, but we often don't.

I guess this year we can hope there is a bunch they aren't showing of the new Dak friendly offense.
well then I think you misunderstand preseason

Sydla

Reaction score
This offensive scheme is total poo.

Roll out for 3 yards to TE, run, pass 2 yards short of sticks. Not much seems to change. A toddler could call out our plays.

I thought one of the funniest moments of the night was the Cowboys announcers basically laughing at the predictability of Linehan's predictable QB rollout.

Hahahahahahaha.

Sydla

Reaction score
well then I think you misunderstand preseason

I think I understand our preseason's quite well.

We run basically the same stuff in both preseason and regular season. There is no "hiding" of anything.

Are you holding out hope that once the Panthers game rolls around, you are going to see a significantly different offense, using different plays, etc?

waving monkey

Reaction score

We run basically the same stuff in both preseason and regular season. There is no "hiding" of anything.

Are you holding out hope that once the Panthers game rolls around, you are going to see a significantly different offense, using different plays, etc?
Of course you think that LOL

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I would be looking at possible trades for a 1T and Safety. The defense has a chance to be significantly better than last year, but they have two significant warts. It seems LB and DE are much improved. Even Corner is better. Need to shore up the middle of the defense. Need to look at backup OL too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Maybe Mike White will turn out great, but raise your hand if you wanted Dallas to draft safety DeShon Elliott when we on the clock at the of the 5th.
Could not beleive Elliott last that late.
He constantly was making plays for UT.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

Exactly... The last 8 years we've seen the same vanilla offense from garrett in preseason and season.

What could Garrett be surprisingly hiding his 8th year of sucking ?

waving monkey

Reaction score
Exactly... The last 8 years we've seen the same vanilla offense from garrett in preseason and season.

Teams use the preseason time to evaluate some of their young talent in a game environment. Identifying how individual players perform in a real-time game setting is far more beneficial to teams than seeing how they play in training camp practices. Coaches also use the preseason to install their offensive and defensive game-plans and iron out any kinks before the season gets underway.

Sydla

Reaction score
He misunderstands football period.

Says the guy who openly admits he doesn't come here to talk football but rather whine about people whining about the Cowboys.

You really should never, ever, ever chastise a single other poster on this board about their football knowledge.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Says the guy who openly admits he doesn't come here to talk football but rather whine about people whining about the Cowboys.

You really should never, ever, ever chastise a single other poster on this board about their football knowledge.

lmao... so true.

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams use the preseason time to evaluate some of their young talent in a game environment. Identifying how individual players perform in a real-time game setting is far more beneficial to teams than seeing how they play in training camp practices. Coaches also use the preseason to install their offensive and defensive game-plans and iron out any kinks before the season gets underway.

First of all, I don't think coaches use preseason as much as you think to install "game plans". Game plans are basically week to week adjustments to play calling schemes, etc. There is little scouting in preseason. I suspect game plans are pretty vanilla in the preseason.

My larger point is about the plays being called. I don't think you will see much difference between preseason and regular season in Dallas. So if people are thinking that the short passes and some of the conservative stuff we see in preseason is just because it's preseason, I am not sure they are being honest with themselves. I think in terms of what we want to do on offense, what you see now is largely what you are going to see in the regular season. Will it be enough?

We are going to find out.

Cowboy89

Reaction score

Frankly, I am starting to believe that JJ would rather come up short in the regular season/playoffs with a puppet rather than win a SB with a coach who would get alot of credit. That's gotta be the only reason that the " Ivy League Ginger" is still employed.