CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

Xeven

Reaction score
He will get more then season ending injury on day one lol.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m sure there has been a big Cowboys star who held out that Jerry never caved to…I just can’t think of any.
The only two I can think of were both in their later years wanting to continue playing in Witten and Ware. But don’t believe they were hold outs . So probably wouldn’t fit this scenario.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
His contract will be inflated to cover all the fines adding up.
I suspect something like this as well…the new cba says the fines won’t be rescinded but they will find a way to cover his fines “legally” and he likely gets some sort of pay increase

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ironic how all the fans who constantly berate Jerry Jones are the same ones wanting for Jerry to cave and give Zack Martin another ridiculous top position overall paid contract extension.
Because paying Martin is what’s best for Cowboys Football.

And it doesn’t have to be a long term deal. Just enough to get him back.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Because paying Martin is what’s best for Cowboys Football.

And it doesn’t have to be a long term deal. Just enough to get him back.
If Jerry caves in and pays Zack Martin even more, guess what all the rest of the players are going to start doing when still with years left on their current contracts?

Horrible precedent to set. It's a quick way to destroy your team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Jerry caves in and pays Zack Martin even more, guess what all the rest of the players are going to start doing when still with years left on their current contracts?

Horrible precedent to set. It's a quick way to destroy your team.
Not all of the rest , just the top stars.

And we don’t have to offer another long term deal. He has two years left. I’d offer him a deal this year to return and option for next year .

Draft his potential replacement next year and be prepared to move on.

We aren’t prepared this year. We are prepared to move on when Tyron goes down this year but if we lose both this season we can probably write off this offense and possibly the season. Are you in support of that?

dckid

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
Increase his salary you have existing years to lower the cap hut don’t mess with the o line. Jerry penny wise pound foolish.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Are you saying Zach martin is gonna play tailback? I don’t think that’s wise but we shall see

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

And we don’t have to offer another long term deal. He has two years left. I’d offer him a deal this year to return and option for next year .

We aren’t prepared this year. We are prepared to move on when Tyron goes down this year but if we lose both this season we can probably write off this offense and possibly the season. Are you in support of that?
What kind of a deal do you propose? Zack Martin just had his current contract redone (3rd time since he first got it in 2018) in March. His "redoing" of his current contract is maxed out. The Cowboys can't redo it anymore, so what kind of a deal do you propose Jerry do without it affecting the salary cap any further?

There comes a time you simply run out of pieces of pie to cut further more.

shabazz

Reaction score
True. But if he holds out for 20 days that’s just a million. If he gets an extra $15 mil in his new deal….it’s chump change.
Especially when you consider that his contract is for 84 Million……he pays a helluva bunch more than that on taxes.

My question here though is that “ why Is it so popular these days for grown men to go back on their word and not want to honor a contract that already was way higher than any other player at that position”?

Most of us realize that Jerry isnt the greatest GM but in this case he’s right……it sets a bad precedent to give in to Martin…..if he caves , what’s to stop Lawrence and others wanting to renegotiate by holding out?

shabazz

Reaction score
Ironic how all the fans who constantly berate Jerry Jones are the same ones wanting for Jerry to cave and give Zack Martin another ridiculous top position overall paid contract extension.
agree. As much as we all know the greatness of Martin, the cap doesn’t allow to have exemptions and sacred cows here.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

This is why "DraftedToSoonMaker" was a bad pick - should have went with a Guard.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is why "DraftedToSoonMaker" was a bad pick - should have went with a Guard.
And we would have been better prepared this year to move on from Martin.

But Martin unlike Tyron who hadn’t played a full season in about 7 or 8 years, Martin hadn’t missed a game in 2 years still playing at an Elite level.

Pay the man this year and be better prepared next year.

Or our running game is severely threatened which will also place our QB in harms way. And if our running game is stymied then it’s all on our QB’s shoulders.

Maybe this is what these Homers want. Or maybe they want a built in excuse if it’s a flop. IDK. But I do know until we draft Martins replacement like we did Tyron last year we desperately need Martin.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When the GM has the history of saber rattling and being the first to blink, why would any star player not go the limit? The GM can only talk a good game, he can't coach or play one.

Think McC, Shottenheimer and the O coaches are going into this season without their best OL?

This is just another great example of why other GM's keep silent about things like this. This one can't keep his trap shut and it never works in his favor.

The lamest excuse I have ever seen for him by one of his fan club is he was asked the question. Why do they think he was asked?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys should and could have taken WR Jalen Hyatt with that late 2nd round pick. Dude is running faster than Tyreek Hill and constantly burning everyone at Giants training camp. Hyatt would have been perfect for the now and future type of WR to take the top off of opposing Defenses.

Linemen can be built up. Don't need a top round Oline every time. Get a good Oline coach who knows how to push and build them up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
Seems like a pretty reasonable prediction.

The reality is until a contract is signed, all the comments in the media are just posturing - either for the sake of the negotiation, or for the sake of fan perception. Or both.

I'm just hoping it won't be a long term extension. A couple of years at something in the top 5 at the position is probably the best we can hope for

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
And because he held out, expect a leg injury, and he’ll miss multiple games

Sydla

Reaction score
The headlines I saw on some shows today had a curious change to them. Instead of looking for a “new deal” they said “restructure”.

Maybe it’s nothing, but maybe the Martin team has walked demands back a bit.
They can't really restructure given what's left on the deal. He needs an extension. Now if what they are calling an extension is "restructure". OK. But a normal contract restructure where they convert base to bonus, etc. can't really be done at this time.