CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Leaving Martin out of the equation, I still would have gone for a G in the second round instead of the TE.

Its a "big picture" thing - the G would have provided a good back-up for when Tyron goes down this year and then next year you kick Tyler out to LT full time (Tyron becomes the swing T) and the G takes over for Tyler at G - left side of line rebuilt and young.

Then net year if Farnoik wants too much money you can draft his replacement.
Yea I would have gone OL in the first round.

But that still means nothing relative to ZM lol

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
So, the draft picks an automatic lock to be a starter since when I mean people keep saying this first of all it's in hindsight you can't leave it out of the equation, you're only talking about it because Martin is holding out but let's be honest here how many draft picks are just automatic locks to be successors...

I mean This is why you've already been developing players like Farniok look at how we went from Connor Williams to Connor McGovern to Farniok, this is what they've been doing they are drafting guys they get them ready and then they play, they typically are not ready to play day one..

last i checked we drafted a G and also brought in Fas..not overlooked but sure Fans beloive they have a better idea on draft day who would have been better with zero proof...
Obviously no pick is guaranteed, but imo a G would have been the better pick than a TE.

Oh and my bad - instead of "if Farnoik wants to much money" - it should have been Biadasz.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
That's true for 32 teams in the league. No team has good depth across the OL.

Drafting another guy in the third round or whatever doesn't matter when it comes to replacing ZM.

Leaving Martin out of the equation, I still would have gone for a G in the second round instead of the TE.

Its a "big picture" thing - the G would have provided a good back-up for when Tyron goes down this year and then next year you kick Tyler out to LT full time (Tyron becomes the swing T) and the G takes over for Tyler at G - left side of line rebuilt and young.

Then net year if Farnoik wants too much money you can draft his replacement.

Yea I would have gone OL in the first round.

But that still means nothing relative to ZM
For me, I was happy when they drafted Mazi Smith. And shocked they took a DT.But in the 2nd round, I was hoping for oline. As they say, you can't have it all.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Obviously no pick is guaranteed, but imo a G would have been the better pick than a TE.

Oh and my bad - instead of "if Farnoik wants to much money" - it should have been Biadasz.
And I say there are guys on this team that could make the roster and somehow develop and be better than you think and by the way I'm tired of everyone else's opinion.. I'll trust the coaches and the scouts over fans any day of the week..

I believe the tight end could end up being the next Jason Witten, we don't know this, how about we wait and see you want to question the draft let's do it two years from now. They literally drafted some offensive lineman and don't say that we didn't get him in the second round so they're not going to be anything, are you kidding me have you watched the drafts we picked up guys like Deron bland in the fifth round and there are guys like Brock Purdy and their undrafted free agents that develop how about we give that list I just posted a shot at turning into something,​

maybe two of those players on that list turn out to be a lot better than you think.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
I'll bet against it.

Stephen Jones....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

he won't come to Oxnard. He will show up at camp in Dallas. he won't play in pre-season. Jerry will tell him we will consider and talk next year.

I don't much care about having the highest paid guard in the league. you don't go to superbowl because you have the best guard ever!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Just extend him and make him a Cowboy for life. Leave 2 voidable years as an escape clause if his health and performance deteriorates.

He is 32 now so he should easily have 5-6 years of solid production left.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he won't come to Oxnard. He will show up at camp in Dallas. he won't play in pre-season. Jerry will tell him we will consider and talk next year.

I don't much care about having the highest paid guard in the league. you don't go to superbowl because you have the best guard ever!
You could also argue not having your perennial All Pro-future-HOF guard could keep you from a SB.

LysleE

Reaction score
I think the longer this goes on the more leverage Martin has and the urgency will increase for Jerry to get a deal done. The OL depth is suspect as it is and to lose the services of its best, most dominant and consistent player would be detrimental to the success of the team this season and more importantly, reflect poorly on Jerry.
This is a relatively simple issue to resolve…get it done!

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
And I say there are guys on this team that could make the roster and somehow develop and be better than you think and by the way I'm tired of everyone else's opinion.. I'll trust the coaches and the scouts over fans any day of the week..

I believe the tight end could end up being the next Jason Witten, we don't know this, how about we wait and see you want to question the draft let's do it two years from now. They literally drafted some offensive lineman and don't say that we didn't get him in the second round so they're not going to be anything, are you kidding me have you watched the drafts we picked up guys like Deron bland in the fifth round and there are guys like Brock Purdy and their undrafted free agents that develop how about we give that list I just posted a shot at turning into something,​

maybe two of those players on that list turn out to be a lot better than you think.
You say your tired of everyone's opinion, then why bother being on a forum, cause most of what you gonna get is speculation and opinions. Might as well just go to a newsfeed.

As for late round picks turning out good - yes thats obvious but the odds seem to get better the higher the round is.

Thats why you dont see teams trading their 1st and 2nd rounders for a bunch of 5th, 6th and 7th rounders.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You could also argue not having your perennial All Pro-future-HOF guard could keep you from a SB.
not saying put a bum in there. so its not a zero sum game. people misinterpret that if we don't get the best, it means we just don't find a viable option.

can we get more with the money. lets say we spend and get a top 15 guard. and fortify depth. or LT, knowing that Tyron will get injured. Tyler will probably kick out and perhaps having two top 15 guards is a better option than the best guard in the league.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Emmitt did not have a contract.
Exactly right. He had fulfilled his 3 year contract and was no longer under contract after they won that first Super Bowl. He did not hold-out. He just didn't have a contract come training camp that next year. If another team had signed him to a contract then, the Cowboys would have had the right to match it and keep him - he was a restricted free agent. He wanted to be paid on the level of the star QBs then, not just be the top paid RB. I believe he missed the first two games, both losses and then the new contract was was signed making him the top pain RB, but not higher than the star QBs at that time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the longer this goes on the more leverage Martin has and the urgency will increase for Jerry to get a deal done. The OL depth is suspect as it is and to lose the services of its best, most dominant and consistent player would be detrimental to the success of the team this season and more importantly, reflect poorly on Jerry.
I believe some kind of compromise deal will get done and ZM starts at RG for game 1 in NY. I could certainly be wrong but based on JJ’s history with star holdouts, it’s certainly likely- again, IMO.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Lol, I could see that happening.

Sheepherder

Reaction score

I believe the tight end could⁰ end up being the next Jason Witten, we don't know this, how about we wait and see you want to question the draft let's do it two years from now. They literally drafted some offensive lineman and don't say that we didn't get him in the second round so they're not going to be anything, are you kidding me have you watched the drafts we picked up guys like Deron bland in the fifth round and there are guys like Brock Purdy and their undrafted free agents that develop how about we give that list I just posted a shot at turning into something,​

maybe two of those players on that list turn out to be a lot better than

I believe some kind of compromise deal will get done and ZM starts at RG for game 1 in NY. I could certainly be wrong but based on JJ’s history with star holdouts, it’s certainly likely- again, IMO.
Let's just hope Stephen Jones will doesn't mess it up, if you get my drift.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You say your tired of everyone's opinion, then why bother being on a forum, cause most of what you gonna get is speculation and opinions. Might as well just go to a newsfeed.

As for late round picks turning out good - yes thats obvious but the odds seem to get better the higher the round is.

Thats why you dont see teams trading their 1st and 2nd rounders for a bunch of 5th, 6th and 7th rounders.
Yes on draft picks that were just drafted yet already being judged as if you have some better opinion than a coach or a scout which I will take over you and anybody in this place you got it that's what I'm talking about I'm tired of invalid opinions. Can we just wait and see that's the point if you don't get it then you shouldn't be here posting because you're judging a draft by who you think would have been better over when a coach and scout thought was better..

Actually, there are far more busts in the earlier rounds because their expectations are higher... what was given up and then it they turn out to be average or role players then yeah, I mean Taco Charlton was a gem lmao.. You're right we should give up three first round picks for guys like Trey Lance, I mean can't miss top five baby!!! The risk is less in the value when they turn out to be very good work for all seven rounds and undrafted players whoever comes in has a shot it doesn't matter if they're first round or seventh round we've seen it with Tom Brady we've seen it with other players it can happen... So again can we actually wait a couple years to be judging how this draft went and saying that we should have went elsewhere when you have no proof you have nothing we haven't even played a single live game yet and all of a sudden this tight ends a bust because we could have had a guard that was a lock he wasn't a lock there is no lock!!

Praxit

Reaction score
..hopefully not. I like Martin, he acquired huge deal few years ago. Now, its just greed kicking in.

I'll stand with Jerry on this one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones was prepared to part ways with Tyron if he didn't take a paycut.

That means they would have been content with Tyler at LT and a noname at LG.

They reportedly only kept Tyron as a backup plan if Steele was not ready to start the season. That also means that if Steele had been healthy in March, they would started Tyler at LT with a noname at LG.

As of now, both Steele and Tyron are expected to start game 1. That means Tyler + a noname at the other OG spot (with Martin out).

Summary: They were prepared to play the season with a noname type player at one of the OG spots even before Martin's holdout.