CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

pansophy

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
I think this is different. Zack was the highest paid guard in the league when he signed the contract 2 years ago and he turns 33 this season. To justify drafting Zeke in the first round you had to sign him and the last two years were bs years so Zeke could say he was the highest paid player.

Martin doesn’t have time to sit out a year In protest. He’s getting a new deal next year anyway. I do think there is a chance he just retires.

Sydla

Reaction score
If Jerry caves in and pays Zack Martin even more, guess what all the rest of the players are going to start doing when still with years left on their current contracts?

Horrible precedent to set. It's a quick way to destroy your team.
The same thing was said when Elliott held out before his 4th contract season.

And then there wasn't a rush by Cowboys players to hold out post Elliott. Guys that want to hold out are going to hold out regardless.

Sheepherder

Reaction score
No matter how he postures, the reality is Jerry wants a championship completely unrelated to Jimmy Johnson's involvement. More than anything else left to do in his life his life, he wants to be recognized as a real football executive. If he could buy that, no matter the price, he would pay.

There is no way he is going to risk the health and safety of his starting QB and RB to Ball and company. No way.

Jerry is not going to squander, possibly, the best opportunity left in his life to achieve that goal. Barring devastating injury, this team is locked and loaded. An offensive line typically sets the tone for an offense and Zack Martin must be on the field.

Not all of the rest , just the top stars.

And we don’t have to offer another long term deal. He has two years left. I’d offer him a deal this year to return and option for next year .

Draft his potential replacement next year and be prepared to move on.

We aren’t prepared this year. We are prepared to move on when Tyron goes down this year but if we lose both this season we can probably write off this offense and possibly the season. Are you in support of that?
Sounds reasonable to me.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys should and could have taken WR Jalen Hyatt with that late 2nd round pick. Dude is running faster than Tyreek Hill and constantly burning everyone at Giants training camp. Hyatt would have been perfect for the now and future type of WR to take the top off of opposing Defenses.

Linemen can be built up. Don't need a top round Oline every time. Get a good Oline coach who knows how to push and build them up.
Yes but linemen take time to "build up".

If you dont pay Martin and he sits out and when Tyron get hurt - are you ready to go with any G combination of Farnoik, Ball, Bass or rookie Richards...and you can throw in Edoga who's a jag.

Hyatt is a luxury for this team right now imo - O-line is much more important - especially considering we have Lamb, Cooks and a hopefully 100% Gallup.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No matter how he postures, the reality is Jerry wants a championship completely unrelated to Jimmy Johnson's involvement. More than anything else left to do in his life his life, he wants to be recognized as a real football executive. If he could buy that, no matter the price, he would pay.

There is no way he is going to risk the health and safety of his starting QB and RB to Ball and company. No way.

Jerry is not going to squander, possibly, the best opportunity left in his life to achieve that goal. Barring devastating injury, this team is locked and loaded. An offensive line typically sets the tone for an offense and Zack Martin must be on the field.
Very well said. I highlighted the two sentences that best sum up JJ’s mindset that will lead him to settle with ZM:
Jerry is not going to squander, possibly, the best opportunity left in his life to achieve that goal.”

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
True enough, but I was concerned about the depth on the oline before he held out.
That's true for 32 teams in the league. No team has good depth across the OL.

Drafting another guy in the third round or whatever doesn't matter when it comes to replacing ZM.

Reaction score
Lol. People don't know how pie is made.

Here is a secret, kid. Any franchise that can pay the bills and not stress it (e.g., not the Raiders ... ) can make the cap work. The only teams the cap hinders are those who do not have the capital to finance deals up front or make the sort of restructures that a sudden 15 mill requires. The Cowboys are not one of those teams hindered.
lol at the arrogance, everybody and their dog knows teams can mortgage and manipulate the cap... but the cap still limits to the amount of stretching and mortgaging they can do.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
History often repeats itself….

Jerry Jones has said repeatedly that he’s not giving in to Zack Martin’s holdout. He even said last week that he “needs extra cash to pay Micah Parsons” and has taken a “hard stance” on this. Don’t believe any of it.

Anyone remember what was happening in August of 2019? Here are some headlines in newspapers 4 years ago…almost exactly:
I expect this pattern to be followed with Zack Martin by early September. In fact, by Sept. 4th, 2023- one week before the season opener- there will likely be a press conference to announce Zack Martin’s contract extension. He will probably be the highest paid G in pro football.

History will repeat itself.
But what about the history of Emmitt Smith holding out and we go 0-2 he was not signed right before the season??

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yes but linemen take time to "build up".

If you dont pay Martin and he sits out and when Tyron get hurt - are you ready to go with any G combination of Farnoik, Ball, Bass or rookie Richards...and you can throw in Edoga who's a jag.

Hyatt is a luxury for this team right now imo - O-line is much more important - especially considering we have Lamb, Cooks and a hopefully 100% Gallup.
A darn good Oline coach could build up these Olineman in one summer. Guaranteed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry caves in and pays Zack Martin even more, guess what all the rest of the players are going to start doing when still with years left on their current contracts?

Horrible precedent to set. It's a quick way to destroy your team.
AC that precedent has already been set many times. Remember the Zeke holdout? Zeke even held out with a year remaining on his contract and JJ caved. Zack Martin’s holdout is not really a new thing.
But what about the history of Emmitt Smith holding out and we go 0-2 he was not signed right before the season??
Es22 held out first 2 games before he got a deal.. biggest name ever...
But that was different- Emmitt did not have a contract during that holdout. Emmitt was just trying to get a good deal for a new contract. And Jerry finally gave in after the Cowboys lost first two games of 1993.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
That's true for 32 teams in the league. No team has good depth across the OL.

Drafting another guy in the third round or whatever doesn't matter when it comes to replacing ZM.
Leaving Martin out of the equation, I still would have gone for a G in the second round instead of the TE.

Its a "big picture" thing - the G would have provided a good back-up for when Tyron goes down this year and then next year you kick Tyler out to LT full time (Tyron becomes the swing T) and the G takes over for Tyler at G - left side of line rebuilt and young.

Then net year if Farnoik wants too much money you can draft his replacement.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Leaving Martin out of the equation, I still would have gone for a G in the second round instead of the TE.

Its a "big picture" thing - the G would have provided a good back-up for when Tyron goes down this year and then next year you kick Tyler out to LT full time (Tyron becomes the swing T) and the G takes over for Tyler at G - left side of line rebuilt and young.

Then net year if Farnoik wants too much money you can draft his replacement.
So, the draft picks an automatic lock to be a starter since when I mean people keep saying this first of all it's in hindsight you can't leave it out of the equation, you're only talking about it because Martin is holding out but let's be honest here how many draft picks are just automatic locks to be successors...

I mean This is why you've already been developing players like Farniok look at how we went from Connor Williams to Connor McGovern to Farniok, this is what they've been doing they are drafting guys they get them ready and then they play, they typically are not ready to play day one..

last i checked we drafted a G and also brought in Fas..not overlooked but sure Fans beloive they have a better idea on draft day who would have been better with zero proof...

Options G/C.
Edoga
Bass
Bostic
Hoffman
Lindstrom
Asim Richards kid has the size and look to be solid guard,,..

so, lets see how they develop.