CFZ Predictable: How the Zack Martin Holdout will end

foofighters

Reaction score
He’s playing to public perception.

Right now it’s swinging for not paying him. Wait till an injury like to Tyron or other OL happens and this offense nose-dives. Then the price goes up. Public perception will sway in order to save the season.
Good reasoning. I can see that along with the part of the fan base starting to freak out and make noise about the need to pay him.

shabazz

Reaction score
Shame our front office didn’t anticipate this issue with Martin. They could have had more leverage .
some things can’t be anticipated. If you hired a contractor to build an addition on to your house for a set fair amount and than with 20% left to go he suddenly decides he wants more than agreed to, would that be something you should have anticipated?…..hell no, you’d throw a fit and rightly so.

The man was made the 2nd highest paid player as on o-lineman in the league and now he wants to change the terms of the agreement after he’s gotten the lion-share of the money.

Man up and honor your word, Zack

fivetwos

Reaction score
From Martins point of view, I get it. Salaries are on a serious rise and his deal was signed a while ago.

He is a first ballot hall of fame player, but the team isn’t missing a whole lot by him not being in camp, so he doesn’t really have a ton of leverage in that regard.

Is there any real doubt they will work this out and we won’t play in the opener? Not really. Not yet.

Jerry didn’t really need to publicly say that the money Martin is looking for is earmarked for Parsons, but that’s him. He makes things worse with his mouth that he will never shut.

Reporters will be showing up to Jerry’s grave with a mike….and they just may get a quote.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
some things can’t be anticipated. If you hired a contractor to build an addition on to your house for a set fair amount and than with 20% left to go he suddenly decides he wants more than agreed to, would that be something you should have anticipated?…..hell no, you’d throw a fit and rightly so.

The man was made the 2nd highest paid player as on o-lineman in the league and now he wants to change the terms of the agreement after he’s gotten the lion-share of the money.

Man up and honor your word, Zack
We all know teams do not always honor the lifetime of contracts after the guaranteed amount has been met. It goes both ways .

Recent NFL OL contracts has set the bar higher. We could have been proactive offering him an increase if we truly believed he was still one of the best OG in the league .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
From Martins point of view, I get it. Salaries are on a serious rise and his deal was signed a while ago.

He is a first ballot hall of fame player, but the team isn’t missing a whole lot by him not being in camp, so he doesn’t really have a ton of leverage in that regard.

Is there any real doubt they will work this out and we won’t play in the opener? Not really. Not yet.

Jerry didn’t really need to publicly say that the money Martin is looking for is earmarked for Parsons, but that’s him. He makes things worse with his mouth that he will never shut.

Reporters will be showing up to Jerry’s grave with a mike….and they just may get a quote.
I think there’s a chance we don’t sign him by the season opener. We will roll the dice and see how our offense does without him.

We can always Cave in later to save our offense and season if it sputters early. But then the price goes up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unless, before the draft, he said "I'm unhappy and going to hold out," then yes.

It's ridiculous to think otherwise.
We really don’t know what the vibe was. It’s our VP and GM’s responsibility to know the mindsets of their key stars heading into a season.

Maybe with some of the recent signings to NFL OL and G’s the discussion needed to take place . IDK. Not my job. All I can do is speculate and access the current situation.

Maybe our FO didn’t care. Who knows. Maybe we will try to roll the dice to begin the season and our offense will kick butt without him. Seems like a big gamble to me.

But if we stumble out of the gates offensively the price probably goes up in order to save the offense and season.

Personally with a new offense being implemented this year with so much attention riding on its success I’d of made sure all of my stars were good.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’m not a cap or contract guru. My concern is the impact on this offense and effects on this season.

We weren’t ready for this loss. If we had been ready with a draft pick to replace him like we did with Tyler last year for Tyron then might be willing to let him sit.

So, you’re ok with losing Martin? And with the probability of losing Tyron for some of the season I’d like to hear what you think the effects and impacts might be.

And what could be the impacts if this offense and team flounders this season? Does MM survive. Is Dak safe or does Martin provide the scapegoat to save everyone’s butt?
The only one's responsible are the front office for refusing to hire an Oline coach capable of building up and improving an Oline through hard training and practice. You don't need strictly 1st or 2nd round picks to build a very good Oline. That's what you are failing to understand.

75boyz

Reaction score
The complexity of this holdout is strange to say the least. While Jerry has shown a history of caving to the players who were NOT top producers at their positions by overpaying market setting contracts...
All of a sudden he's got a guy who is "actually" a top 3 or 5 (at worst) player at his position and he chooses to stand firm.

But I still agree with Jerry in this case even though it is Zack Martin.

All this does is show that Zeke's 2 years early contract sitout/demand scenario can be accomplished again and again if you sit it out long enough.
Jerry will eventually cave.

jmo

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
So, Jerry Jones is not only going to acquiesce to the demands of a player with two years left on his contract, who is holding out of camp, and Jerry plans on heaping enough over and above Martin’s salary demands to cover the fine, which is paid from net earnings, not gross earnings. Jerry Jones must be the most gracious, most generous owner in all of professional sports. i guess my perception of him is very wrong. He never, to me, seemed to be the kind of man so humble he can overlook being shown up by one of his employees. What a nice guy.
I mean he’s caved time and time again over the years and there’s decades of evidence of what he says publicly not being what happens privately behind closed doors in negotiations.

Probably more of a you issue than a jerry issue. So I agree with you, your perception is wrong.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think there’s a chance we don’t sign him by the season opener. We will roll the dice and see how our offense does without him.

We can always Cave in later to save our offense and season if it sputters early. But then the price goes up.
Neither side should let it get there. Long way to go.

Martin doesn’t need to be in Oxnard. It’ll get fixed when the team returns.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only one's responsible are the front office for refusing to hire an Oline coach capable of building up and improving an Oline through hard training and practice. You don't need strictly 1st or 2nd round picks to build a very good Oline. That's what you are failing to understand.
So, if this offense flops you’re blaming it totally on not having an OL Coach to develop Jags?

And if I recall correctly we did need 1st round picks to build the core of this OL. And when we begin replacing it last year we used a 1st round pick .

You really expected us to replace a 1st Ballot HOFamer with a mid round pick?

You know , I’m beginning to want to see this offense without Martin. Let’s roll the dice and see what happens . You better be in church every Sunday morning praying Tyron doesn’t go down. Lol

shabazz

Reaction score
We all know teams do not always honor the lifetime of contracts after the guaranteed amount has been met. It goes both ways .

Recent NFL OL contracts has set the bar higher. We could have been proactive offering him an increase if we truly believed he was still one of the best OG in the league .
We could have offered to pay him more money if there was no salary cap.

the FO is correctly ANTICIPATING that CeeDee will demand a mammoth contract and Micah Parsons may also demand the highest contract for a non quarterback that the league has ever seen.

Zack Martin and his agent may have misread the tea leaves in this case. We shall see

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
So, if this offense flops you’re blaming it totally on not having an OL Coach to develop Jags?

And if I recall correctly we did need 1st round picks to build the core of this OL. And when we begin replacing it last year we used a 1st round pick .

You really expected us to replace a 1st Ballot HOFamer with a mid round pick?

You know , I’m beginning to want to see this offense without Martin. Let’s roll the dice and see what happens . You better be in church every Sunday morning praying Tyron doesn’t go down. Lol
You say JAGS because you never played the position, nor ever were taught how to build/improve an Oline. I just laugh at your inexperienced comments.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The complexity of this holdout is strange to say the least. While Jerry has shown a history of caving to the players who were NOT top producers at their positions by overpaying market setting contracts...
All of a sudden he's got a guy who is "actually" a top 3 or 5 (at worst) player at his position and he chooses to stand firm.

But I still agree with Jerry in this case even though it is Zack Martin.

All this does is show that Zeke's 2 years early contract sitout/demand scenario can be accomplished again and again if you sit it out long enough.
Jerry will eventually cave.

jmo
Amazing we are ok in underpaying Martin. No doubt our best Offensive player. A 1st ballot HOF still playing at an Elite level. This isn’t the Elliott deal.

Sydla

Reaction score
lol at the arrogance, everybody and their dog knows teams can mortgage and manipulate the cap... but the cap still limits to the amount of stretching and mortgaging they can do.
They can fit in Martin while still being able to sign Parsons and Lamb.

Shoot, Martin carries a $23 million cap hit next year so an extension can actually help create space next year.