Prescott drops to 7th highest paid QB

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Unlike the owner’s ridiculous statement after signing Romo, there is 0 connection to how Prescott is paid and how he will play.

I also do not expect him to fulfill this contract as it is. They will try and extend him before it matures as they should have done on this one.

The price to pay at franchise QB shows no sign of slowing and every team has to have that guy to play the game.

At what point do they institute a max deal or a separate cap room for QBs? Think of it how the MLS does contracts under, I believe, what's called the Designated Player rule. This rules states that 3 players get exemptions from the regular roster and cap rules and can be signed for as much as the club wants. Perhaps the league should do that with QBs.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That would make sense BUT, we are talking about Jerry and Stephen Jones here. They would never have the foresight to draft a QB in 2023 to hedge their bets on whether can re-sign Prescott or not.

The other benefit here is, assuming no other urgent needs come up prior to next draft, the QB is under no obligation to start. He can wait a year or two before he actually has to start. If we decide to keep Dak, then we can trade that QB for some extra 1sts. There's no need to rush a rookie QB if you don't have to do so.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But is he our greatest burden ? Where are we without him? You have faith these idiots in skybox will do better?

I remember well the days between Aikman and Romo as that's about when I started cheering on this team. I don't ever want to go back to those days of not being able to find a QB. If we need to take a QB next year, fine, but let's not force a QB to start before he's ready. We have Dak. If we take a QB next year, we should have about 2 years for that QB to learn. That's a good thing.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
At what point do they institute a max deal or a separate cap room for QBs? Think of it how the MLS does contracts under, I believe, what's called the Designated Player rule. This rules states that 3 players get exemptions from the regular roster and cap rules and can be signed for as much as the club wants. Perhaps the league should do that with QBs.

Not a bad idea.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Not a bad idea.

I mean, let's face it. Player salaries are only going to go up, and rightfully so. They should receive payment for which the job they and their employees agreed. Not the players fault. In fact, good on them for making $40+ mil per year. If you allow teams to designate 3 Designated Players whose contracts run through the period of them being under this rule, then it allows QBs to get paid while the rest of the team stays largely in tact. Problem solved.

Adreme

Reaction score

No chance it happens. Players will never agree to a max contract value with similar ideas behind separating cap by position. The NFL also does not really want to take actions that would hinder parity and right now getting a top pick and finding a QB is a good way for a bad team to become not a bad team quickly which the NFL loves. Besides the Rams and Saints have shown how insignificant the cap is anyway. You can sign whoever you want.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No chance it happens. Players will never agree to a max contract value with similar ideas behind separating cap by position. The NFL also does not really want to take actions that would hinder parity and right now getting a top pick and finding a QB is a good way for a bad team to become not a bad team quickly which the NFL loves. Besides the Rams and Saints have shown how insignificant the cap is anyway. You can sign whoever you want.

Well, then perhaps a Designated Rule would help similar to that of the MLS. It encourages the teams to find a very good QB they'd like to keep, and the rest stays within parity.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yeah all it cost us to retain him was Cooper and Randy and no activity in free agency. No biggie. Yes the Cowboys could have spent and restructured all their contracts but the reality is that isn't how this franchise operates. And so in a practical sense that was the cost.

People act as if the repercussions are suddenly less/non-existent now.

We never have significant activity in FA. Gregory left for reasons other than money. Cooper was likely traded at least in part because of his salary but given their current cap, it is obvious their hand was not forced to make the move.

Proof

Reaction score
Yeah all it cost us to retain him was Cooper and Randy and no activity in free agency. No biggie. Yes the Cowboys could have spent and restructured all their contracts but the reality is that isn't how this franchise operates. And so in a practical sense that was the cost.

People act as if the repercussions are suddenly less/non-existent now.

daks contract is obviously high and needs massaging, but it didn’t costs us any of those things. especially with tanks new deal and the release of la’el. they could’ve retained coop and randy with ease. randy chose elsewhere and coop was sent packing because they were over him wasn’t because of daks salary though

Proof

Reaction score
Are we using W/L as solely a QB stat and ignoring that Derek Carr never had 3 All-Pro offensives linemen and a 2 time rushing title winner? Derek Carr has had a 1,000 yard RB TWICE in his career.

Derek Carr, just this year, did something that Dak has never done. That's lead a team to the playoffs without a 1,000 yard RB.

Did you see what the Raiders went through this season with Gruden, Ruggs, and so on? Dak struggles when things aren't perfect while Carr seems to thrive in it.

Carr's stock went up a lot this season, hence the contract, while Dak's stock went down.

lol knock it off the raiders had one of if not the best offensive lines on football a few years ago, and dallas had a thousand yard rusher by 2 yards and a dedicated effort to reach it this year. technically true points but disingenuous and in bad faith. The raiders (and Carr) showed a ton of resilience this year for sure though.

as did Dak coming back from a devastating injury and leading the team to a 12-5 record with a shamble of a line, a shell of an rb and his best receivers in and out of the lineup all year.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
How is being the 6th highest paid qb, and only behind the 5th and 4th by 3 million not considered "Elite," pay?

My problem with these contracts is teams allowing no trade clauses added in to them. IMO, this is insane. The Texans were totally handcuffed in getting rid of Watson. This is now going to be in EVERY QB contract in a few short years. Then, it is going to start filtering into WRs, DEs and eventually in to most higher level players contracts and if you think the cap hinders teams abilities to field a team, these contracts are going to totally screw teams over. Not that trades have been a big thing in the NFL, but trades are clearly happening more and more and allowing the player to have all the control is a huge mistake IMO.

It always amazes me how middle class fans curse hate the "workers" in the NFL. Always ready to side with management at a moment's notice for every issue.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
both, and results. i’m a big dak fan but he was really really bad last year (at times)

hoping it was lingering effects of the ankle / shoulder and that he’s ready to silence the doubters, but we have to be honest
He was. No denying at times he was bad last year. I’m just stuck trying to figure out if the first half of the season him or the later half….hopefully his first priority is getting healthy this offseason..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
After the next CBA...discounting QB's from CAP actually means an increase in spending....I can hear Jerry crying from hear.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Or Clint Storner or Chad Hutchinson at $5 mil
Not winning a Super Bowl with a 40 million a year QB or not winning a Super Bowl with a 5 million a year QB?

I know which one I'd take.

I'd take that one that will give us the higher draft pick and use that to draft an actual 1st round talent at QB instead of wasting time on these undrafted/4th round QBs like we have for about 15 straight years now.