Prescott drops to 7th highest paid QB

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fans forget what the priority here is . It’s maintaining relevance and interest to promote the brand so our 80 year old owner can continue his celebrity football status .

Dak provides that. Jethro can sell the hell out of 8-8. What he can’t sell is 5-11 and starting over plus our dysfunctional ownership doesn’t trust himself or his eye for talent drafting a QB.

Remember who he was looking at in recent years with Lynch and Manziel in first rounds. Romo and Prescott are lucky finds he’s made that have helped prop up his franchise that would have otherwise been stuck in a bottom tier funk much like we were when these QB were out with injuries.

This is our destiny Cowboy fans with our current ownership and front office situation. I honestly doubt a Rodgers or Mahomes could even save us. Not in this toxic atmosphere and undermining of coaching.

It’s truly amazing we are fielding a competitive team at all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
At what point do they institute a max deal or a separate cap room for QBs? Think of it how the MLS does contracts under, I believe, what's called the Designated Player rule. This rules states that 3 players get exemptions from the regular roster and cap rules and can be signed for as much as the club wants. Perhaps the league should do that with QBs.
I know fans keep mentioning that, but I don't think as an owner I would be interested, because it will only increase my cap......keeping everything under the same cap, is going to limit the cash out put......

MLS is trying to establish itself, and they are trying to make sure big market teams don't dominate. the designate player rule is often for them to be able to sign a european player, as a way to get more publicity, and better players to join MLS....they are also strugglign financially, and in the past, couple of team dominated and they perished. .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Imagine being "stuck trying to figure out" if 2021 first 6 games is the "real Dak" over the other 78 game sample size we have from Dak.

Go find me another 6 game stretch like the first 6 games of 2021 in Dak's career. You can't do it. Because it's an anomaly. It's an outlier. It's a mirage.

Dude you're like shooting fish in a barrel.. In 2021 Dak had a 6 game stretch where he had a passer rating above 100 in 5 of the 6 including 4 in a row. In 2019 he had a stretch of 4 straight games with a rating over 100 .. In 2018 he had a stretch of 100+ in 5 of his last 6 games. In his rookie season he had two streaks of 5 in a row above 100.

Do you think Tampa Bay fans are wondering if the first 3 games of 2017 for Ryan Fitzpatrick is the real Ryan Fitzpatrick? When he threw for over 400 yards all 3 games and had 11 TD passes to boot.

No, they're not. Because they're not delusional and willfully blind.

You admittingly are confused at what the real Dak is when we have SIX SEASONS worth of evidence. Instead, you chose to focus on the 6 game outlier that he has NEVER been able to reproduce in his entire career.

It kinda seems like it's YOU who is ignoring the evidence. Dak has shown these 4-6 game stretches of brilliance throughout his career. The only thing missing has been the consistency at that level. IMHO injuries are really the only thing that have robbed him of that these last two seasons..

Oh and you got the year wrong on Fitzpatrick in Tampa.. it was 2018.. and you also left out that he had 6 or 7 turnovers in that same 3 game stretch.. He was even more turnover prone than Winston.. which hardly seems possible but it's true..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know fans keep mentioning that, but I don't think as an owner I would be interested, because it will only increase my cap......keeping everything under the same cap, is going to limit the cash out put......

MLS is trying to establish itself, and they are trying to make sure big market teams don't dominate. the designate player rule is often for them to be able to sign a european player, as a way to get more publicity, and better players to join MLS....they are also strugglign financially, and in the past, couple of team dominated and they perished. .

Oh, I know, I'm just throwing it out there as something that could be tailored to the NFL when it comes to QBs. The QB price for QBs isn't going to go down anytime soon, I'd imagine. Especially with this economy, I think QBs are going to be demanding more and more. So, there has to be a way to get ahead of that and create something to where it doesn't damage the ability of teams to keep key talent more than it already does.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Fans forget what the priority here is . It’s maintaining relevance and interest to promote the brand so our 80 year old owner can continue his celebrity football status .

Dak provides that. Jethro can sell the hell out of 8-8. What he can’t sell is 5-11 and starting over plus our dysfunctional ownership doesn’t trust himself or his eye for talent drafting a QB.

Remember who he was looking at in recent years with Lynch and Manziel in first rounds. Romo and Prescott are lucky finds he’s made that have helped prop up his franchise that would have otherwise been stuck in a bottom tier funk much like we were when these QB were out with injuries.

This is our destiny Cowboy fans with our current ownership and front office situation. I honestly doubt a Rodgers or Mahomes could even save us. Not in this toxic atmosphere and undermining of coaching.

THIS a 1000 times. :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Dak and Zeke are top 15 in jersey sales in the NFL...... as long as cowboys are relevant then Jones family is happy. everything else is secondary. that relevance, 12-5 record allowed them to raise ticket prices for 2022.

we have to understand for cowboys its not about building for championships. its about market value and that can come without championships. its branding.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dude you're like shooting fish in a barrel.. In 2021 Dak had a 6 game stretch where he had a passer rating above 100 in 5 of the 6 including 4 in a row. In 2019 he had a stretch of 4 straight games with a rating over 100 .. In 2018 he had a stretch of 100+ in 5 of his last 6 games. In his rookie season he had two streaks of 5 in a row above 100.

It kinda seems like it's YOU who is ignoring the evidence. Dak has shown these 4-6 game stretches of brilliance throughout his career. The only thing missing has been the consistency at that level. IMHO injuries are really the only thing that have robbed him of that these last two seasons..

Oh and you got the year wrong on Fitzpatrick in Tampa.. it was 2018.. and you also left out that he had 6 or 7 turnovers in that same 3 game stretch.. He was even more turnover prone than Winston.. which hardly seems possible but it's true..
Ronnie still trying to figure out if first 3 games of 2018 Fitzpatrick is the real version of him or not.

If you're going to use "passer rating" as your barometer then I'm going to need you to admit that you believe Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB of all time before we can move on.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Not for me.. For all his meddling and sideshow histrionics, Jerry has at least mastered the art of putting talent on the field. This roster may be flawed in its construction, but it is absolutely not devoid of talent. Dak is no worse than a top 10 QB. Zeke when healthy is a top 5 back.. The offensive line is the best in the NFL.. according to the nerds at PFF anyway.. I don't buy that assessment for a second but that's what their grades say. But no one will argue that Martin and Smith are both top 5 at their respective positions when healthy. Tank Lawrence is a top 10 DE, Diggs is a top 10 corner.. Kearse is a top 10 safety. Or at least he played like one last year. Parsons is a top 5 whatever they wanna call him.. Cooper was a top 10 WR and Lamb should ascend to that level this year. (If he doesn't we're in for a loooong season.) We know Jerry and Stephen have not seemed to have figured out how to build a complete team like they had with Jimmy.. but they do manage to build a talented roster none the less. That means that against some teams the Cowboys are just going to have too much talent for the other team to compete with. It's what happens when they face teams of equal or better talent where we see the impact of the coaching and roster deficiencies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'd go back to the 5-11 days right now if I knew we'd be trying to get the next Burrow, Allen, Mahomes, or Herbert instead of wasting on time on QBs.

I'd be happy signing or trading for a real QB also.

Just because a low drafted/undrafted QB overachieved does not mean you found the next Tom Brady and you should hitch your wagons to him. Tom Brady is the outlier.
that's the challenge. when you end up with a top 5, top 10 pick and the right QB is available and you end up with them. is it like this year, when none of the QBs are franchise type and each is a huge gamble, or a year like when burrow came up. in that same year, there was a Tua and Herbert as well. I think Miami has buyers remorse at this point. even in 2018, only one out of the top 4 QBs picked in top 10 have worked out. even if you have #1 pick, is it a baker mayfield or is it a Burrow. there is defintley a bit of luck involved too.

but I get the point, you have to play to win. its just that its less gauranteed than people acknowledge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
THIS a 1000 times. :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Dak and Zeke are top 15 in jersey sales in the NFL...... as long as cowboys are relevant then Jones family is happy. everything else is secondary. that relevance, 12-5 record allowed them to raise ticket prices for 2022.

we have to understand for cowboys its not about building for championships. its about market value and that can come without championships. its branding.
Yep

And as long as enough fans buy in each year it will continue . And that’s fine if fans realize what they’re supporting and adjust their expectations accordingly. But the root of the problem lies much deeper.

This shiny car we call the Cowboys isn’t founded on a great engine under the hood anymore. It’s all about the glitter and glitch .

And as long as there are fans on every street corner the salesman and promoter will continue enabling himself to continue his ways .

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It could be you are the one moving goal posts.
The expectations versus salary remain the same from the signing of contract to the end if it.
Unless you want to move the goal post based on following contracts of other players. And you know full well these contracts continously inflate. Your just using....abusing it for confrontation.
nah, not me....its the people who literally said, he is top 2 paid and he has to play elite level.....so following the same logic, he is top 7 paid, should we expect a top 7 play....the expectations has always been the same since 2016....Superbowl.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not for me.. For all his meddling and sideshow histrionics, Jerry has at least mastered the art of putting talent on the field. This roster may be flawed in its construction, but it is absolutely not devoid of talent. Dak is no worse than a top 10 QB. Zeke when healthy is a top 5 back.. The offensive line is the best in the NFL.. according to the nerds at PFF anyway.. I don't buy that assessment for a second but that's what their grades say. But no one will argue that Martin and Smith are both top 5 at their respective positions when healthy. Tank Lawrence is a top 10 DE, Diggs is a top 10 corner.. Kearse is a top 10 safety. Or at least he played like one last year. Parsons is a top 5 whatever they wanna call him.. Cooper was a top 10 WR and Lamb should ascend to that level this year. (If he doesn't we're in for a loooong season.) We know Jerry and Stephen have not seemed to have figured out how to build a complete team like they had with Jimmy.. but they do manage to build a talented roster none the less. That means that against some teams the Cowboys are just going to have too much talent for the other team to compete with. It's what happens when they face teams of equal or better talent where we see the impact of the coaching and roster deficiencies.
Yep , just enough talent to remain relevant and interesting.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
that's the challenge. when you end up with a top 5, top 10 pick and the right QB is available and you end up with them. is it like this year, when none of the QBs are franchise type and each is a huge gamble, or a year like when burrow came up. in that same year, there was a Tua and Herbert as well. I think Miami has buyers remorse at this point. even in 2018, only one out of the top 4 QBs picked in top 10 have worked out. even if you have #1 pick, is it a baker mayfield or is it a Burrow. there is defintley a bit of luck involved too.

but I get the point, you have to play to win. its just that its less gauranteed than people acknowledge.
That's the chance you have to take.

Are you okay with winning the division every few years and losing in the Wild Card round unless you get SUPER lucky or would you rather keep trying until you hit on that true franchise QB and then you're set for the next 12-13 years and you won't need everything to be perfect to compete?

I know which one I'm taking. You've got to take chances. The Cowboys took a chance when they traded Hershel Walker and look what happened. It could've not worked out, but it did. They took a chance when they hired Jimmy Johnson right out of college. The Cowboys are playing it too safe these days and have been since the 2000s.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nah, not me....its the people who literally said, he is top 2 paid and he has to play elite level.....so following the same logic, he is top 7 paid, should we expect a top 7 play....the expectations has always been the same since 2016....Superbowl.
Say what you want...you are moving the goal post. The expectations SHOULD stay the same as the time the contract was given.

Are you really trying to make some important drastic distinction between top 2 and top 7? Just to argue on the internet and claim your victory?

Wow...shallow.

I'm not sure there were THAT many people that said he MUST produce in the top 2. Most of the people you are hoping to create arguments with were wishing for top 10.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Deshawn Watson has a 52.8 winning percentage even Stafford with only 47 winning percentage while Dak has a 62.4 which is higher than Romo 61.4. Dak is not what I would consider an elite QB but I do think he is good enough to help the Cowboys where they want to be.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Deshawn Watson has a 52.8 winning percentage even Stafford with only 47 winning percentage while Dak has a 62.4 which is higher than Romo 61.4. Dak is not what I would consider an elite QB but I do think he is good enough to help the Cowboys where they want to be.
That means it's even more weird that Watson has lead his team to just as many playoff wins as Dak and Stafford lead his to a Super Bowl win last season.

Crazy. My mind is blown. Wowza. How is that even possible!? WOW.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That means it's even more weird that Watson has lead his team to just as many playoff wins as Dak and Stafford lead his to a Super Bowl win last season.

Crazy. My mind is blown. Wowza. How is that even possible!? WOW.

It only took Stafford 14 season before getting it done.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ronnie still trying to figure out if first 3 games of 2018 Fitzpatrick is the real version of him or not.

If you're going to use "passer rating" as your barometer then I'm going to need you to admit that you believe Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB of all time before we can move on.

Deshaun Watson has the 2nd highest passer rating of all time..

Happy?

And I don't just use passer rating .. I also look at offensive output and wins and losses..

Here's how Dak's performances have stacked up in his career..

2016 In the first 5 game stretch of passer rating over 100 the team went 5-0 while averaging 26 ppg
2016 in the second stretch the team went 5-0 while averaging 29 ppg
2018 in the stretch where Dak went over 100 passer rating in 4 out of 5 games the team went 5-0 and averaged 24.4
2019 in the 4 game stretch the team went 3-1 and averaged 32.25 ppg

So an overall record of 18-1 and a scoring average in the upper 20's during these stretches of exemplary play by the QB. But again.. pay no attention to all those stretches of great play. Those never happened according to some..

What the evidence DOES show is that side from that 6 game stretch when Zeke was suspended, Dak has NEVER had more than a three game stretch where he had a passer rating BELOW 100. In his career he has 49 games above 100.. and 18 games below 80. So he is almost 3 times as likely to have a great game than he is stinker. Then the other 19 starts are obviously between 80 and 100. THAT is what he is.. The fact of the matter is he has played really well in over 60% of his career starts. Which might explain why he has won over 60% of his career starts..