Prime Romo would win the Super Bowl with the current Cowboys

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo going to Mexico didn't make Crayton drop that pass late in the final drive... It also didn't make Anthony Henry wiff on old man Amani Toomer giving the Giants a long gift TD right before the end of the 1st Half. Plus the Giants might have just been better than us, their defense was certainly better than ours, and the Giants did win the Superbowl that year, so it's not like we lost to a mediocre team...
Romo would tell you that using hindsight, they never should have taken the trip.

Big_D

Reaction score
I'm sure if Roger Staubach had Jason Garrett and Wade Phillips instead of Tom Landry he'd be lighting up the league. lol But around here coaching doesn't matter.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yea. Many of the Dak slobberers were Romo haters. Not sure why we wouldn’t criticize both ?
Hmm, let's compare...

Romo ALWAYS had not only a #1 stud WR (T.O. & Dez), those #1 stud WRs are actually Hall Of Fame good. Romo also ALWAYS had not only a HOF worthy Tight End, that TE was also one of the best TEs ever in NFL history. Romo also ALWAYS had very good/stud RBs (Julius Jones, MBIII and Demarco Murray).

Other than top stud RB in Zeke Elliott, Dak has never had a #1 WR or TE, much less HOF worthy ones.

Talk about HUUUUGE difference in weaponry surrounding both QBs.

So how is it fair criticism? Hmm???

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm sure if Roger Staubach had Jason Garrett and Wade Phillips instead of Tom Landry he'd be lighting up the league. lol But around here coaching doesn't matter.
I agree that JG need to **** or get off the toilet dude, but that's not what this thread is about.

Flamma

Reaction score
If we had this defense in the 3 straight 8-8 seasons I think we would have won at least one SB. But if you're going to ask me if I think Romo would take this current team of average to poor WRs and banged up OL to a super bowl I'd have to say you're nuts.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Hmm, let's compare...

Romo ALWAYS had not only a #1 stud WR (T.O. & Dez), those #1 stud WRs are actually Hall Of Fame good. Romo also ALWAYS had not only a HOF worthy Tight End, that TE was also one of the best TEs ever in NFL history. Romo also ALWAYS had very good/stud RBs (Julius Jones, MBIII and Demarco Murray).

Other than top stud RB in Zeke Elliott, Dak has never had a #1 WR or TE, much less HOF worthy ones.

Some say Romo would have won the Superbowl with Zeke or with the offense Dak had in 2016. There still is the fact that Murray won offensive player of the year in 2014. And if some want to contribute that to the O line, then it debunks Romo never having a great O Line like Dak has.

Also some are basically having a assumptions that Romo needs a RB like Zeke or a defense like the one the Cowboys have now, to have been able to win the Superbowl. But, then "He can't do it without Zeke or only won because of this and that" is used against Dak. Where as the 2016-2018 cowboys are used for the benefit of how some feel like Romo would have won it all with them.

So, it's like some are saying both Romo and Dak need the same or similar types of talent and players around them to have accomplished a successful season or to win it all.

Team around Dak used to high light his weaknesses saying he only won games because of them.

Team around Romo used to highlight his strengths and say he would have won more important games if he had the same team around him Dak has.

So the same team and players are used to either credit or discredit the last couple of Cowboys QBs depending on whether some are Pro Romo or Anti Dak.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Romo would tell you that using hindsight, they never should have taken the trip.

Agreed, he said his much in his football Life episode

Now would you care to address the points he made in his post? How did Romo and Wittens trip specifically impact those Key gaffes by other players on the team?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Romo never had a Defense that was this good. He also never got to play with Zeke. Romo’s Quick release, sliding within the pocket, and Houdini escapability would make the o-line better. His accuracy would make Cooper, Beasley, and Gallup better. Too bad Dak makes receivers and the o-line worse.

Put me down for the 2007 version of Romo as a maybe...

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Hmm, let's compare...

Dak had Dez and Witten also and they got run the hell out of town because they were viewed as an anchor around daks neck

You better check Owens and Witten's numbers in Dallas before and after Romo became the quarterback. Night and day

To be clear I'm not saying they aren't good players. They are clearly very good players. But the fact is they weren't producing at a high level in Dallas until Romo became the quarterback

That tells me it was a mutually beneficial relationship

That also doesn't take into account the offensive line that you're constantly harping on

For a good share of Tony's career he played behind the line that was total horse**** compared to the current crew

Not even comparable in terms of talent and ability

Ryan Cook? Nate Livings? Phil Costa? Mackenzy Bernadeau? Doug Free?

Not a single one of those guys would see time on our current o line, other than possibly Free. Possibly

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
This would still be the worst group of WRs Romo ever played with. At the very minimum, he always had a good WR (Terrell Owens, Miles Austin for a few years, Dez) plus a younger Witten.
Romo made Austin good. What did Austin do once he left the Cowboys? Nothing. Romo made Laurent Robinson good. Romo made receivers better. Dak makes receivers disappear.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Romo made Austin good. What did Austin do once he left the Cowboys? Nothing. Romo made Laurent Robinson good. Romo made receivers better. Dak makes receivers disappear.

Exactly. TO is the only number one receiver Romo ever had who did anything anywhere else or with any other quarterback

Every other "stud" receiver Tony ever threw to didn't do Jack crap with any other quarterback

Prescott cost Dez his career for Pete's sake

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Agreed, he said his much in his football Life episode

Now would you care to address the points he made in his post? How did Romo and Wittens trip specifically impact those Key gaffes by other players on the team?
That's the wrong question. What you should be asking was how did the trip effect Romo's performance.
200 yards passing. Prescott gets murdered for such yardage here.
50% completion percentage. Yikes.
1 TD.
And the infamous INT to end the game and season.

Specific enough?