Prime Romo would win the Super Bowl with the current Cowboys

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coaches build and amass talent. Yes, that is correct. Great coaches scheme and utilize their talented players to put them in the best position to win. And no, I have gone these rounds with you in the past where you deflect and spin like a lazy Susan. Your spin that talent wins the games is categorically false because you consistently leave schemes out of the picture. Great coaches win utilizing players at their strengths not forcing them to play within a preconceived system. That is the problem we have had.
The schemes are more effective with greater talent.

Yes, better coaching places them in position but without that talent it usually doesn’t succeed.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree. That is because he is not the Head Coach. Jones say jump and Garrett says nothing just ends up splattered on the ground from the jump.
Correct. The Cowboys are dysfunctional from the head up. Garrett is just a product of it. He’s doing the best he can given his ability and talent provided.

Obviously many fans are ready for a new puppet.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

Yes, better coaching places them in position but without that talent it usually doesn’t succeed.
Yes they are. Even though proper scheming with lesser talent can still win games. That's where coaching matters.

Even with lesser talent proper scheming will win games. We don't have coaches capable of scheming and putting the players we have in position to win on a weekly basis.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes they are. Even though proper scheming with lesser talent can still win games. That's where coaching matters.

Even with lesser talent proper scheming will win games. We don't have coaches capable of scheming and putting the players we have in position to win on a weekly basis.
Might win a few more games but not championships without greater talent than the opponent.

Rare exceptions and why they’re called upsets.

Much like when Bill came in 2003. Uplifted 5-11 team but only to 10-6. Still was an early out in playoffs against greater talented teams.

Greater coaching can make a difference when talent is more equal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree we are a talent dependent team with Garrett.

And knowing this we should arm him with more talent.

Why should we expect an average to below average coach to have much success with an average to below average QB?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Might win a few more games but not championships without greater talent than the opponent.

Much like when Bill came in 2003. Uplifted 5-11 team but only to 10-6. Still was an early out in playoffs against greater talented teams.

From the 5-11 team to the 10-6 team what were the roster changes? How much talent was added to win 5 more games? Now if the other team had greater talent while the other team had a greater coach what difference does it make? Or do they cancel each other out?

408Cowboy

Reaction score

By the way I like how you nonchalantly threw the record out there like doubling the wins was no small feat. You a little slicker than I had previously thought.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
A guy who has never gotten past the divisional round and can't even take a simple NFL hit is now going to win a Super Bowl? Riiiight.

A guy who has not taken a meaningful snap in over 3 years, has never won or accomplished anything is so romanticized by this fanbase. I don't get it. Philly fans don't even do this for McNabb, who accomplished infinite amounts more than Romo.

He's gone and will never play another down. He never actually won anything so fans resort to making up fantasy scenarios and no one can really refute them since they are make believe and will never take place to be proven false. Classic strategy to use.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
A guy who has never gotten past the divisional round and can't even take a simple NFL hit is now going to win a Super Bowl? Riiiight.

A guy who has not taken a meaningful snap in over 3 years, has never won or accomplished anything is so romanticized by this fanbase. I don't get it. Philly fans don't even do this for McNabb, who accomplished infinite amounts more than Romo.

He's gone and will never play another down. He never actually won anything so fans resort to making up fantasy scenarios and no one can really refute them since they are make believe and will never take place to be proven false. Classic strategy to use.
:hammer:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
My first year as a Cowboys fan was '88 when I was 6 so I grew up with the triplets and the glory they brought us. When that faded I looked back at the franchises history and studied it because I needed more. So when I see threads like this I assume you didn't see the 90's and never experienced an actual team play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score

I was a defender of Romo and believe the coaching and front office played big parts in the Cowboys not winning a Superbowl with Romo under center. With that being said, those who are Pro Romo, while using the "Dak can't win this team a Superbowl" view, aren't exactly making the biggest point if Romo never won the Superbowl either, even with the most talented teams the Cowboys had when he was the QB.

And yes, some blame that on the teams Romo had around him or the lack of talent they feel like was around Romo, more than Romo himself for why the team has no Superbowl wins or even any NFC Championship appearances. Which goes back to the point of some saying how Dak can only be successful with certain aspects like Zeke, the O Line, and certain offensive weapons around him. That Dak can't produce if Zeke is shut down etc......

Yet, it seems that no matter how great Romo was in the regular season or what stats he picked up, according to some his playoff/Superbowl success was limited by the team around him. And that he can only accomplish winning it all with certain parts around him. And how he could have only been successful playoff wise with certain aspects to the team. I mean by that logic since some always compare what Dak could do with a team, compared to what Romo could do with a team.

Brady is a QB who could get a bunch of different WRs and RBs, yet always manage to make the Pats into Superbowl Contenders and had long term playoff success. So, why couldn't Romo do it with his teams, since this is another bash Dak thread, by assuming what Romo could do with the 2016-2018 Cowboys.

Of course every QB needs the right talent, players, and coaches around him to win it all. But, still :huh:at the double standards of some bringing Dak down by saying he needs the "perfect team". Yet, at the same time assuming Romo not having this "perfect team" is the reason for him not having a Superbowl ring.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL - did nothing?

Yeah he only made 4-12 teams 8-8 single handedly and took 8-8 teams to the playoffs and kept us relevant which kept Jerry happy because that's all he wants anyhow.

Don't believe me - check out 2015.

He did his job - too bad he didn't have anything better than a bottom ten pass defense his whole career, receivers who could hang onto TD passes in the playoffs (Crayton & Fasano vs Giants) or an offensive line that wasn't a revolving door (Vikings playoff game) or a call the we needed after playing a virtually perfect Divisional game (Packers).

This defense and offensive line is much better than any he played with.

He had a 93 playoff career QB rating - like I said, he did his job.

It was the organization who failed him but feel free to back to the Quincy Carter days - they were a blast.
I'm not saying Romo was bad I'm just saying he wasn't Brees or Rodgers which is how y'all make him out to be.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
sure lets blame him when it was the fluff HC hired by the crap GM who told them to go in the first place. Who else was there? There was obviously no plans to practice. You think a quality HC does that? The GM was a Jackazz pretty much for the duration of the guys career. You could blame the QB but I expect the hire ups to make real decisions, not bring in inexperienced coaches right out of the gate. Parcells left a quality team and Jerry quickly turned it to crap. But lets blame the QB in his first full season. Where was the assistant HC/offensive genius at that time? He still disappears 12 years later.

So it’s ok to blame the current qb under the same regime but absolve the old one just because?? You know his first full year was actually his fifth in the league right?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
LOL, yeah right. Romo is up in that booth thanking God he doesn't have to play at his age with the current offensive line. I think he prefers to not need a wheel chair and Foley catheter.
No crap. This thread was referring to Romos prime.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Cowboys had 6 Pro Bowlers in 2006 and 13 Pro Bowlers (at the time NFL record) in 2007.

Like I said Romo apologist revisionist His-Story. Romo had enough chances to get the Cowboys to a Super Bowl with good teams that had talent.

Lets give Dak a chance to get 2 wild card playoff wins in 13 years.

To put in perspective Rodger Staubach took a team to the Super Bowl that had 12 rookies on the roster, he was the only Pro Bowl player on offense, and had 1 Pro Bowler on defense (Cliff Harris). Troy Aikman took a Cowboys team to the Super Bowl with no Pro Bowlers on defense.

Okay so Romo isn't Staubach we agree on that

but at the same time I love how you dismiss the fact that the same exact roster had six pro bowlers before he became the starter and 13 after. As if the two might not somehow be linked

Cowboys had the number one defense in 1992 and Charles Haley on that team. But yes let's quibble about pro bowlers LOL because fan voting is such an indication of true dominance isn't it?

sometimes I wonder if people like you actually read your posts before you submit them. I'm guessing not

Mobinvans

Reaction score
I still think Romo is the best QB Dallas ever had

(I dont include players from 100 yrs ago...lol, way before not time)

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only one year of Prime Romo

Young Romo made to many mental mistakes

Older Savy Romo's body was falling apart.

2014's Romo was the only year in his Prime ........ and the refs screwed him then like they would now.