Prime Romo would win the Super Bowl with the current Cowboys

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
As a Romo fan and a former Romosexual, I always find these statements funny.

Romo had 10 seasons to get to to the playoffs and get passed the division round and/or get past the 1st playoff game. He failed to get his team past the division round and won 2, I repeat, 2 play off games in 10 years.

He had 4 win and in games and failed each time to get in the playoffs. 2 game's he played like **** and 1 of them 2, the L was mostly on him. 1 of them he was hurt (imagine that) and he played average. The other he was hurt (imagine that) and didn't play at all.

He missed half the season in 2010 and 2015. In 2016 season he missed the whole season and would've been half the season but Dak happened.

So he missed 2 half seasons, a 3rd half season that turned into the whole season because Dak was playing well, was hurt in a win and in game and played avg, was hurt in another win and in game and didn't play at all, played in 2 win and in game and played like ****, was able to come up with 2 playoff wins in a 10 year span and you are saying we would win the super bowl if we had Romo? Lmao

In his his career I defeded him on a weekly basis and had very little help from other cowboy fans to help me defend him. Most of the people I was defending him for were other cowboy fans ripping him. Lol but some how, now he's gone, he has became a freaking legend. Lol it's pretty remarkable.
Wow. I didn't know it was Romo vs the 22 on every opposing team. Because that's what your entire post read to me like. From that perspective, I can see how it's all Romo's fault now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The extent between being a "yes" man and complete control over football operations is the entire range. If Bill wanted total control then I could see how that would conflict with Jerry because Jerry has always wanted the final decision over player personnel being the self-appointed GM and all. But this doesn't deny what Jerry claims, which is decisions were collective, nor does it imply that Jerry wanted more control over Bill.

I don't think you can make such a statement. I mean, everybody knows who Bill is. Bill came to the Cowboys with the understanding that he runs Football. I think any attempt by Jerry to get control there is a clear violation of understanding between the two. It absolutely implies that Jerry wanted more control because the agreement, as reported at the time, was that Bill runs Football.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm wasn't sure so I googled, and you are correct. Nice call out.

https://thelandryhat.com/2008/01/15/nfl-admits-botching-tony-romos-intentional-grounding-call/

Well not necessarily a call out I just thought I remembered that happening and apparently it did. I also remember being irate at the time about the call thinking there was no way that was intentional grounding.

I genuinely appreciate you doing the research that I was too lazy to do myself LOL

At the end of the day it just wasn't our year. The Giants were the better team and they proved it against New England in the Super Bowl

Last edited:

BoysForLife

Reaction score
LMAO at you guys debating such a indefensible argument, either way. You don't even know how many games Romo could play because he can't run like Prescott.

However, I will say as long as he could play, he would have been more effective than Dak and DC's would not play Romo the same as they have Dak. The greatest fear a DC has is a QB that can read his D and make adjustments. The other advantage Romo would have is the "fear factor", he doesn't have it. Dak is still concerned about protecting the ball so throwing receivers open isn't in his bag yet. Romo had no problem with the 50/50 balls to Bryant.

But let's be honest about that completion % of Romo's, how many were those safe passes to Witten? That said, I would take Romo over Prescott but neither would take this bunch to the SB except as guests.

I tend to agree with you couch coach. in fact my first post in this thread expresses similar sentiment. this is simply an argument that can't be proven one way or the other

there are too many other things to take into account including the quality of the other teams at this time. Take the Rams for instance. I agree with you that Romo would make this offense a lot better than it is but good enough to beat that Rams defense? I don't know about that

the one thing I will say is that sometimes when the team is struggling it is more fun to have debates like this then talk about everything that is going wrong on the field LOL

Vanilla2

Reaction score
at least he would throw it...instead of hold hold hold, I go out and grab a beer, take a bio break, check my messages....still hold hold hold.....now, pull it down, scramble, and run....like you know who

Is dak in his prime?

Gotta remember 9 wasn’t even close to sniffing the field at this point in his career.

The worst thing that could’ve happened to 4 was 2016.

Just got to hope he puts in the work to get to the point that he can be compared to 9 in more of a clear eyed manner

Little Jr

Reaction score
Wow. I didn't know it was Romo vs the 22 on every opposing team. Because that's what your entire post read to me like. From that perspective, I can see how it's all Romo's fault now.
"Many put the blame on Romo, but he had Wade and Garrett as his head coach for the majority of his playing years. When he had a legitimate one (Parcells) he looked to be on his way to a Super Bowl and likely would've won one."

"Nah. Not a bad move at all if you had Romo at QB.

Doesn't make a damn bit of a difference if the QB is the problem and can't see him open and get the ball to him."

Both quotes from you and you're telling me you didn't know it was Romo vs the other 22 on opposing teams?

Your putting it on Dak in one quote. I didn't know it was Dak vs the other 22 on the opposing teams. The sad thing about that quote is, it was in the thread about Cooper and Romo wasn't the topic. But you brought Romo in it. Instead of saying, it wouldn't be a bad move if we had a qb, you specifically said Romo lol. Sounds to me you're one of the fans that can't get Romo out of your head and might need to see someone about that. Lol

The other quote was you defending Romo by bringing up coaching. Dak has the same coaching as Romo did.

Not once in my comment did I say it was all on Romo. Like is said, I defended Romo for years and part of my defense was, its not all on him. At the end of the day though, QBs are given Ws and Ls attached to there name. The facts are, Romo was 0-3 in win and in game's and was 2-4 in playoff games in 10 years. Do I put it all on him? Nope, but I also don't put it all on Dak, like others.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is dak in his prime?

Gotta remember 9 wasn’t even close to sniffing the field at this point in his career.

The worst thing that could’ve happened to 4 was 2016.

Just got to hope he puts in the work to get to the point that he can be compared to 9 in more of a clear eyed manner
well, there are huge difference. Romo was UDFA coming out of a divisin III college. Dak was at a major college and a Heisman candidate and played in a big program. and I agree, the worst thing that happened was the winnign streak and Dak remaining starter....that ruined him. he needed a couple of years of working on the side, and working on his throwing prior to being thrown in.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In the regular season.
so I wish freakin dak could give us some yards and scoring..the last 12-14 games have been very INEPT..ive never ever witnessed games like that from Romo..what the OP is saying is with this defense and potential running game like glance of 2014 Romo would be destroying this 89 man boxes..period they respected romos Passing threat and would not get away with this BS, a few plays Washington had 12 men down around the line of scrimmage..they sold out on Zeke..

BTW sure RS but did room have all the HOF Coaches and players that Aikman and Staubach had? heck NO.. dooms day defenses? new offensive and defensives drawn up by Coaching staff that no one has ever seen? no he didnt he was Undrafted and destroyed the cowboys records Regular season counts stats are facts..he excelled at his postion..

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
so I wish freakin dak could give us some yards and scoring..the last 12-14 games have been very INEPT..ive never ever witnessed games like that from Romo..what the OP is saying is with this defense and potential running game like glance of 2014 Romo would be destroying this 89 man boxes..period they respected romos Passing threat and would not get away with this BS, a few plays Washington had 12 men down around the line of scrimmage..they sold out on Zeke..

BTW sure RS but did room have all the HOF Coaches and players that Aikman and Staubach had? heck NO.. dooms day defenses? new offensive and defensives drawn up by Coaching staff that no one has ever seen? no he didnt he was Undrafted and destroyed the cowboys records Regular season counts stats are facts..he excelled at his postion..
I want you to read what you just posted again and tell me what the **** you're trying to say.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I'm not saying Romo was bad I'm just saying he wasn't Brees or Rodgers which is how y'all make him out to be.

I agree - he wasn't and I don't agree with people who think he is at that level. I also don't think AIkman was either. If you look at the teams he was on later in his career he struggled and Cowboy fans turned on him.

Tony just wasn't somebody who could carry a franchise to a Super Bowl by themselves and I'm more defensive about him that any Cowboys who ever played.

One of the most impressive sats ever is this.

In the history of the NFL there is only one QB to win a Super Bowl with a bottom ten Def. Pass Rating. The reason it's so hard is because you have to outscore every team you play every week, there is no margin for error. Then, when you get to the playoffs and Super Bowl you keep playing against the best quarterbacks.

Aaron Rodgers is the only quarterback to do it.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
I agree - he wasn't and I don't agree with people who think he is at that level. I also don't think AIkman was either. If you look at the teams he was on later in his career he struggled and Cowboy fans turned on him.

I saw one of Troy's last wins in Texas Stadium. the 48-7 beatdown of the Cardinals in 2000 that got their coach fired the next day.
I remember being at that game and a lot of people were down on Aikman and wanting Cunningham to be starting over him.
Some people even were booing him back then

Man that was despicable. Still bothers me, 18 years later.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
It's crazy that this garbage thread is at 20 pages. Imagine if Romo was actually a hof worthy QB.

Imagine if you weren't one of the 5%ers how much fun you could have on this board instead of getting hammered all the time. But...it's your opinion so that's fine.

BTW - you don't need HOF worthy QB's to win Super Bowls - you do need Super Bowl worthy teams though.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Imagine if you weren't one of the 5%ers how much fun you could have on this board instead of getting hammered all the time. But...it's your opinion so that's fine.

BTW - you don't need HOF worthy QB's to win Super Bowls - you do need Super Bowl worthy teams though.
Hammered.....i thought we wouldn't bring your wife into this.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
image how good Dak could be if he was scared shatless when pressured. I can't remember anybody who goes into shell shock as bad as Dak?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Every receivers numbers dipped with the current QB. Like Romo wasn't a better passer? It was still his first year as an actual starter. And like I said a crap HC and an inexperienced piece of garbage OC wasn't exactly the way to go in 2007. Winning starts with smart decisions and there were none. Todays team in comparison is drafting better and building better even though the same crap coach remains in place.

Beasley’s numbers went up.
Witten was old. Dez was broken down
Outside of that who else is left?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
"Many put the blame on Romo, but he had Wade and Garrett as his head coach for the majority of his playing years. When he had a legitimate one (Parcells) he looked to be on his way to a Super Bowl and likely would've won one."

"Nah. Not a bad move at all if you had Romo at QB.

Doesn't make a damn bit of a difference if the QB is the problem and can't see him open and get the ball to him."

Both quotes from you and you're telling me you didn't know it was Romo vs the other 22 on opposing teams?

Your putting it on Dak in one quote. I didn't know it was Dak vs the other 22 on the opposing teams. The sad thing about that quote is, it was in the thread about Cooper and Romo wasn't the topic. But you brought Romo in it. Instead of saying, it wouldn't be a bad move if we had a qb, you specifically said Romo lol. Sounds to me you're one of the fans that can't get Romo out of your head and might need to see someone about that. Lol

The other quote was you defending Romo by bringing up coaching. Dak has the same coaching as Romo did.

Not once in my comment did I say it was all on Romo. Like is said, I defended Romo for years and part of my defense was, its not all on him. At the end of the day though, QBs are given Ws and Ls attached to there name. The facts are, Romo was 0-3 in win and in game's and was 2-4 in playoff games in 10 years. Do I put it all on him? Nope, but I also don't put it all on Dak, like others.
Umm...I countered the notion that the blame is on Romo for a team not winning Super Bowls. That is absurd. Organizations win Super Bowls. Not just teams and not just players. ORGANIZATIONS.

There is no doubt in my mind that Romo had the talent to win a Super Bowl. He didn't win one not because of his lack of talent or his play. He didn't win one because of the above fact. It is those who are anti-Romo who put the burden squarely on his shoulders for the losses. It is a ridiculous thing to do. There is too much nuance involved.

As for the Dak reference, that was in regard to the move for Cooper likely being pointless if the QB can't get him the ball. Romo proved over and over again that he could see the receivers in a timely manner and get them the ball. Dak has regressed and is one of the primary reasons (along with coaching) for the low scoring, stuck in the mud offense. Romo could overcome Garrett and company. Dak is showing that he cannot because he is holding the ball for too long, not seeing open receivers, and his wind up when he throws is problematic and his mechanics are still bad.