Pro Wrestling Updates

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I can't say enough good things about the broadcast ability of Gordon Solie.

I'm disappointed that I didn't live in Florida during the 70's in order to get even more of his broadcasts.

IMO he's the best pro wrestling announcer period.

Wrestling 2 was incredible. In the ring, behind the mic. A true legend.

Same thing can be said about Ernie Ladd, whom I was a huge mark for. A good baby-face. A great heel. He made guys who were a foot shorter and 100 lbs lighter look competitive with him in the ring. There weren't many guys who could go anywhere, make tons of money and weren't all that interested in being a world champ because they didn't need it. Andre was one. Brody was one. Hanson was one. Ladd was one.

Cant argue with any of that, especially about Solie.
In these parts{Oklahoma}I saw a fair bit of Gordon on Georgia Championship Wrestling but was exposed more to Reeser Bowden and Jim Ross.
Miss those days big time.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Boy that's the nail on the head!

Solid story-telling has gone out the window in the WWE.

The matches have been unwatchable for me for quite a while...

There is no wrestling as I knew it.

It's choreographed acrobatics with every match nothing more than high-points and two-counts.

And god-forbid a clean pin or submission occur.

Every once in a while I catch New Japan... It suffers with some of that too, but the style if far more "stiff" (realistic IMO).
Long Live "Dick the Bruiser":yourock:

:bow:o_O:bow:

timb2

Reaction score
Last nights Raw.I fell asleep because most it seemed to be a promo for the next Pay Per View..

The Good
Seth Rollins beating up everyone with a chair.

The Bad
Baron Corbin is in the Main Event in the Pay Per View vs Rollins and he gets pinned by The New Day???? Way to sell the pay per view

The Ugly-TIE
The Fatal 5 Way. Lashley,Cesaro, Braun Strowman,and The Miz seem to be misused.Glad to see Richochet get a chance,but to me Samoa Joe is just boring.Should have Joe drop the title and make it a better match like Richochet vs AJ Styles for the pay per view.

2nd Ugly
Becky Lynch vs Lacey Evans. This rivalry is already done and just move on

timb2

Reaction score
Last night Smackdown . Just more build up for the Pay Per View :Stomping Grounds"

The Good
Bayley vs Alexa Bliss have had little time to make this a rivalry,but they did good selling it to a good grudge match.

The Bad
Kofi Kingston & Seth Rollins vs Kevin Owens and Sammy Zayne
Really was to be the climatic event of the night and just seem like it was just a filler to end Smackdown

The Ugly
Heavy Machinery vs The B Team
Really just a squash match.Just a filler to waste more time to fill out the show,

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know how many of you know of Johnny Valentine who was Greg's father.

JV was bigger and more intimidating in the day than what Greg was.

If you watch any videos of him on YouTube, you'll see a guy that didn't run the ropes and didn't use many moves that required the cooperation of his opponent. He just beat people up.

Here's what someone posted about Johnny Valentine on another forum:

"Crowd control is what made him special. He had the crowd in the palm of his hand the minute he stepped in sight.

Best example I have was seeing him in Tampa in the early 70s. He took a long time to walk to the ring, stopping every 10 or 12 feet to stop a look up at the crowd. Every time he stopped the boos got louder. When he finally got to the ring steps he put one foot on the bottom steps and the crowd was ready to kill him. So he takes his foot down, puts his hand on his hips an stares at the crowd again. He repeats this a couple of more times and the crowd is absolutely nuts.

And he hadn't done a thing. No theme music. No catch phrase. No fireworks. Just JV telling the fans what he thought of him just by tossing that icy glare at them.

They hated him before he even locked up with his opponent and it just got worse as he hammered away with that big forearm on the ropes and, of course, the atomic skull crusher. He was an absolute machine, not even warming up until 20 minutes in."

Johnny broke his back in the infamous plane crash of 1975 that also broke the back of Ric Flair. Flair recovered while Johnny was left partially paralyzed.

He was one of the top wrestlers from the 60's up until the plane crash who was a headliner anywhere in the world.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WWF @ Scranton, PA - CYC - June 18, 1984
Don Muraco defeated SD Jones
George Steele defeated Jose Luis Rivera
Dick Murdoch defeated Salvatore Bellomo
Andre the Giant defeated Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee in a handicap match
Roddy Piper defeated Rocky Johnson
David Schultz defeated Tony Garea

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WWF @ Scranton, PA - CYC - June 18, 1984
Don Muraco defeated SD Jones
George Steele defeated Jose Luis Rivera
Dick Murdoch defeated Salvatore Bellomo
Andre the Giant defeated Mr. Fuji & Tiger Chung Lee in a handicap match
Roddy Piper defeated Rocky Johnson
David Schultz defeated Tony Garea

How'd you come to pick this particular card and location?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How'd you come to pick this particular card and location?

I visit a site where folks randomly post cards from around the country.

Just thought I throw this one out there for discussion.

The WWF was probably running 3 house shows a night.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hogan was probably in Philly at the Spectrum that night!

Yeah, probably.

Getting Andre was a decent add.

The Piper/Rocky Johnson match could have been good. The Rock's dad was a pretty good athlete and accomplished wrestler in his own right.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Quora someone posed the question why the ratings for the WWE are so terrible...

This was the response:

Why has WWE ratings been so bad?

Mike Specian
, Lifelong professional wrestling fan, creator of The Summer of Punk at http://******/SwyPbz
Answered May 12

Gosh, where do we begin…

The biggest problem, in my view, is that creative has been really bad. Here are some reasons why:

• There is no long-term storytelling. WWE doesn’t book wrestlers to start at the bottom of the ladder, lose a lot, then win a little, then win a lot. They used to do this (e.g. Bret, HBK, HHH), but these days where you are slotted initially is pretty much where you end up unless the audience really demands otherwise (e.g. Becky Lynch, Daniel Bryan). As a result, there is nothing that rewards viewing for years at a time. (As a counterexample, New Japan Pro Wrestling seems to book years in advance. It’s far more satisfying to know there’s actually a plan underneath.)
  • There is no consistency. Six days ago (as of this writing), Vince McMahon said that there would be a “wildcard rule” in which 3 wrestlers from one brand would be allowed to appear on the other brand. Any others would be fired. Then 5 show up on the show, and no one gets fired. On that same show, Roman Reigns shows up because he has “unfinished business”, then we never get to learn what that business is. Vince says this is going to be one of the greatest Raws of all time, then makes matches based on unexpected interruptions. There is no explanation given as to what was originally planned to justify that claim. And that was just this week.
  • Storylines don’t make sense. Often wrestlers will get jumped, yet their friends will be nowhere to be found. People lose championships, then come out the next week with an emotional reaction that doesn’t match their loss. Police officers will enforce the law seemingly at random. They’ll throw two people trying to kill each other into the same cop car. The examples are endless.
  • The show lacks originality. Vince McMahon has been booking essentially the same type of show since the Attitude Era. The show is formulaic and has no feeling of spontaneity. The act has just gotten old.
  • There are no cliffhangers. It’s hard to remember the last time when something genuinely interesting happened at the end of a Raw or Smackdown that made you anxious to see what would happen the next week. The arrival of the Nexus is the closest thing I can recall.
  • No one is cool. Back in the day you have guys like Rock, Austin, Savage, Punk and others who came off as charismatic guys you wanted to get behind. There is literally no one in WWE right now I would characterize as cool in the way they are portrayed.
  • Wins and losses don’t matter. Because there is no gradual ladder of ascension, guys just trade wins back and forth and nothing really matters. This kind of 50/50 booking takes all meaning out of matches, making them easy to miss.
  • Everything is overscripted. Instead of letting wrestlers speak in their own voices, writers script all the verbiage, meaning everything is in the same voice. This makes the wrestlers essentially interchangable. The verbiage is also stilted and unrealistic. By forcing the wrestlers to spell out the storyline is detail you get language like, “This weekend at the Royal Rumble, I am going to exact my revenge on you, and the rest of your perros.” Nobody talks like that.
  • Things are thrown together at the last minute. This is a corollary of the long-term booking point, but there are episodes of Raw that aren’t finished until minutes before the show goes on the air. Under that kind of pressure, quality is bound to suffer.
  • Talented wrestlers are just flat-out wasted. There is zero reason someone like Shinsuke Nakamura should appear on Smackdown once every three weeks. Before WWE he was having matches of the year in Japan and was arguably the best wrestler on the planet. Samoa Joe is legit, great on a mic, and a hell of a worker. He never gets a real push. Wrestlers are brought up from NXT (e.g., Killian Dayne, EC3, Nikki Cross, Tye Dillenger, etc.) and then just completely forgotten about. What’s the point?
There are also some non-creative-related reasons:

• Three hours is a long time to spend watching a wrestling product. It’s easy to lose people over that period of time, especially when the product isn’t very good.
  • There are more options for viewers to turn to than ever before. The competition has gotten more varied.
  • WWE already posts a lot of its content online, which means you can skip over the shows and watch clips. Alternatively you can listen to podcasts that summarize what’s happening without enduring the pain of actually watching it.
Ultimately, the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Vince McMahon. As the head of creative he has the responsibility to create an engaging product, but at 73 years of age, he’s no longer up to the task (and arguably hasn’t been for some time). The fact that NXT is able to create great stories and events indicates that the company has the right people on staff to get the job done. They’re just not allowed to do that job on the main roster.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Quora someone posed the question why the ratings for the WWE are so terrible...

This was the response:

Why has WWE ratings been so bad?

Mike Specian
, Lifelong professional wrestling fan, creator of The Summer of Punk at http://******/SwyPbz
Answered May 12

Gosh, where do we begin…

The biggest problem, in my view, is that creative has been really bad. Here are some reasons why:

• There is no long-term storytelling. WWE doesn’t book wrestlers to start at the bottom of the ladder, lose a lot, then win a little, then win a lot. They used to do this (e.g. Bret, HBK, HHH), but these days where you are slotted initially is pretty much where you end up unless the audience really demands otherwise (e.g. Becky Lynch, Daniel Bryan). As a result, there is nothing that rewards viewing for years at a time. (As a counterexample, New Japan Pro Wrestling seems to book years in advance. It’s far more satisfying to know there’s actually a plan underneath.)
  • There is no consistency. Six days ago (as of this writing), Vince McMahon said that there would be a “wildcard rule” in which 3 wrestlers from one brand would be allowed to appear on the other brand. Any others would be fired. Then 5 show up on the show, and no one gets fired. On that same show, Roman Reigns shows up because he has “unfinished business”, then we never get to learn what that business is. Vince says this is going to be one of the greatest Raws of all time, then makes matches based on unexpected interruptions. There is no explanation given as to what was originally planned to justify that claim. And that was just this week.
  • Storylines don’t make sense. Often wrestlers will get jumped, yet their friends will be nowhere to be found. People lose championships, then come out the next week with an emotional reaction that doesn’t match their loss. Police officers will enforce the law seemingly at random. They’ll throw two people trying to kill each other into the same cop car. The examples are endless.
  • The show lacks originality. Vince McMahon has been booking essentially the same type of show since the Attitude Era. The show is formulaic and has no feeling of spontaneity. The act has just gotten old.
  • There are no cliffhangers. It’s hard to remember the last time when something genuinely interesting happened at the end of a Raw or Smackdown that made you anxious to see what would happen the next week. The arrival of the Nexus is the closest thing I can recall.
  • No one is cool. Back in the day you have guys like Rock, Austin, Savage, Punk and others who came off as charismatic guys you wanted to get behind. There is literally no one in WWE right now I would characterize as cool in the way they are portrayed.
  • Wins and losses don’t matter. Because there is no gradual ladder of ascension, guys just trade wins back and forth and nothing really matters. This kind of 50/50 booking takes all meaning out of matches, making them easy to miss.
  • Everything is overscripted. Instead of letting wrestlers speak in their own voices, writers script all the verbiage, meaning everything is in the same voice. This makes the wrestlers essentially interchangable. The verbiage is also stilted and unrealistic. By forcing the wrestlers to spell out the storyline is detail you get language like, “This weekend at the Royal Rumble, I am going to exact my revenge on you, and the rest of your perros.” Nobody talks like that.
  • Things are thrown together at the last minute. This is a corollary of the long-term booking point, but there are episodes of Raw that aren’t finished until minutes before the show goes on the air. Under that kind of pressure, quality is bound to suffer.
  • Talented wrestlers are just flat-out wasted. There is zero reason someone like Shinsuke Nakamura should appear on Smackdown once every three weeks. Before WWE he was having matches of the year in Japan and was arguably the best wrestler on the planet. Samoa Joe is legit, great on a mic, and a hell of a worker. He never gets a real push. Wrestlers are brought up from NXT (e.g., Killian Dayne, EC3, Nikki Cross, Tye Dillenger, etc.) and then just completely forgotten about. What’s the point?
There are also some non-creative-related reasons:

• Three hours is a long time to spend watching a wrestling product. It’s easy to lose people over that period of time, especially when the product isn’t very good.
  • There are more options for viewers to turn to than ever before. The competition has gotten more varied.
  • WWE already posts a lot of its content online, which means you can skip over the shows and watch clips. Alternatively you can listen to podcasts that summarize what’s happening without enduring the pain of actually watching it.
Ultimately, the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Vince McMahon. As the head of creative he has the responsibility to create an engaging product, but at 73 years of age, he’s no longer up to the task (and arguably hasn’t been for some time). The fact that NXT is able to create great stories and events indicates that the company has the right people on staff to get the job done. They’re just not allowed to do that job on the main roster.
Fantastic article. Every word is sooooo true.

timb2

Reaction score
Here are some of Will Ospreay highlights. Ospreay vs Richochet would be great. Ospreay and Seth Rollins are talking trash on Twitter

Richochet