Pro Wrestling Updates

rags

Reaction score
Programming note:

Because TNT is showing the CONCAF soccer match between Grenada and the United States, tonight's episode of AEW Rampage will be shown tomorrow night at 9:00 Central.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I'm starting to think, maybe not initially, that this may all be a storyline they are building. Saw this comment on Cageside Seats on today's Rumor Roundup:

"All this Punk stuff is probably a work and it gets the people talking. All this info coincidentally drops now. It’s the end of March. FTR’s contracts are up in a few weeks and they are supposed to announce their next steps soon. Punk is healed up and ready to wrestle again. Everything is falling in line"

While that could be that individual's hopeful thinking, FTR has been a bit open in the media about their support of Punk. Maybe they are starting a new faction, who knows?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm starting to think, maybe not initially, that this may all be a storyline they are building. Saw this comment on Cageside Seats on today's Rumor Roundup:

"All this Punk stuff is probably a work and it gets the people talking. All this info coincidentally drops now. It’s the end of March. FTR’s contracts are up in a few weeks and they are supposed to announce their next steps soon. Punk is healed up and ready to wrestle again. Everything is falling in line"

While that could be that individual's hopeful thinking, FTR has been a bit open in the media about their support of Punk. Maybe they are starting a new faction, who knows?
How do they bring such an overwhelmingly negative presence back?

That brawl was real and not any work.

And if Tony Conned allows Punk to come back in any capacity, it shows that he has no self respect. He was insulted as much as anyone.

And if Punk is coming back, I think it says that Conned has chosen him over all of his other top stars - The Bucks, Omega, Jericho, and Moxley.

If he’s back, I’d expect the Elite to all go to WWE.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
How do they bring such an overwhelmingly negative presence back?

That brawl was real and not any work.

And if Tony Conned allows Punk to come back in any capacity, it shows that he has no self respect. He was insulted as much as anyone.

And if Punk is coming back, I think it says that Conned has chosen him over all of his other top stars - The Bucks, Omega, Jericho, and Moxley.

If he’s back, I’d expect the Elite to all go to WWE.
The only way is if they all somehow worked it out amongst themselves behind the scenes. At least that's what I think would have to have happened if this has gone from real to storyline.

I could very well be wrong in thinking the above might be what is happening now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only way is if they all somehow worked it out amongst themselves behind the scenes. At least that's what I think would have to have happened if this has gone from real to storyline.
I can 100% guarantee you that isn't the case at all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I could very well be wrong in thinking the above might be what is happening now.
I don’t know how you could ever trust a malcontent like Punk to somehow ‘work it out’. Even now, he’s out there still taking shots at people.

A leopard doesn’t change its spots.

He was a major problem child in WWE before, where that actually WAS structure and discipline. In AEW, where there isn’t, the results speak for themselves.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I don’t know how you could ever trust a malcontent like Punk to somehow ‘work it out’. Even now, he’s out there still taking shots at people.

A leopard doesn’t change its spots.

He was a major problem child in WWE before, where that actually WAS structure and discipline. In AEW, where there isn’t, the results speak for themselves.
Entirely possible you could not make the guy happy in the long run. My thoughts on possibility of story would include those recent shots to be part of the story. Heel punk I guess.

Do I believe it's actually happening? No. Just leaning in that direction at the moment. That can always change. I would say, if it is story, they've got a years worth of TV with it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Entirely possible you could not make the guy happy in the long run. My thoughts on possibility of story would include those recent shots to be part of the story. Heel punk I guess.

Do I believe it's actually happening? No. Just leaning in that direction at the moment. That can always change. I would say, if it is story, they've got a years worth of TV with it.
I know what you’re saying. In the past, some personal issues and grudges have been turned into wrestling storylines and angles.

I don’t think that’s the case here.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I know what you’re saying. In the past, some personal issues and grudges have been turned into wrestling storylines and angles.

I don’t think that’s the case here.
If I was a betting man... Well I am, but I'd probably put my money on that being the case versus it being a story. That would be more logical But it's wrestling so sometimes you just never know.

timb2

Reaction score
Wrestling is a cutthroat business see Ric Flair ,Shawn Michaels, HHH for example. I believe the CM Punk stuff is jealousy from other wrestlers. Ask Shelton Benjamin,Mr. Kennedy,Rob Van Dam, Scott Steiner what they think. Also others like Modecai,Bryan Clarke, and Riccochet.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WM matches so far. Andre the Giant Battle Royal is during SmackDown Friday night. Overall I'm not impressed with this years line up. I completely HATE bringing in "wrestlers" like Logan Paul (that is the best you can do with former champion Rollins???) and old timers like Cena to help get someone like Theory over. How many more times are they going to bring back Edge? He looks 80 years old. Lesnar/Omos??? The Mysterio storyline is getting old fast. And for Cody Rhodes - enjoy your push. I don't know who he has pictures of but my gosh this is ridiculous!

OK so matches I like: Flair/Ripley and Gunther match has possibilities. Maybe the men's fatal four-way?

Night 1
No. Matches Stipulations
1 Austin Theory (c) vs. John Cena Singles match for the WWE United States Championship
2 Seth "Freakin" Rollins vs. Logan Paul Singles match

Night 2
No. Matches Stipulations
1 Roman Reigns (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Cody Rhodes Singles match for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship

Night TBA
No. Matches Stipulations
1 Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Rhea Ripley Singles match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship
2 Bianca Belair (c) vs. Asuka Singles match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship
3 Brock Lesnar vs. Omos (with MVP) Singles match
4 Gunther (c) vs. Sheamus vs. Drew McIntyre Triple threat match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship
5 Trish Stratus, Lita, and Becky Lynch vs. Damage CTRL (Bayley, Dakota Kai, and Iyo Sky) Six-woman tag team match
6 Edge vs. Finn Bálor Hell in a Cell match
7 Liv Morgan and Raquel Rodriguez vs. Natalya and Shotzi vs. Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler vs. one team TBA Women's WrestleMania Showcase fatal four-way tag team match
8 Braun Strowman and Ricochet vs. The Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins and Montez Ford) vs. Alpha Academy (Chad Gable and Otis) vs. The Viking Raiders (Erik and Ivar) (with Valhalla) Men's WrestleMania Showcase fatal four-way tag team match
9 The Usos (Jey Uso and Jimmy Uso) (c) vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn Tag team match for the Undisputed WWE Tag Team Championship
10 Rey Mysterio vs. Dominik Mysterio Singles match

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I was a betting man... Well I am, but I'd probably put my money on that being the case versus it being a story. That would be more logical But it's wrestling so sometimes you just never know.
Beyond Moxley, Wade Keller would go on to say:

“From what I can gather…the sentiment is that he’s just not welcomed back. The wrestlers don’t want him back. The majority of wrestlers don’t want him back. I would go as far as even saying that my sources are saying the mass majority of wrestlers don’t want him back.

“One person said maybe one or two of the top third of the roster want him back….in top half. And then there are some younger guys who liked him. In terms of the top stars, the politics are not terribly among the top guys. There’s some tension among the top guys, but it’s mostly, Punk doesn’t get along with Hangman, Punk doesn’t get along with Moxley, Punk doesn’t get along with Kenny, Punk doesn’t get along with the Bucks, Punk doesn’t get along with MJF.

Keller would go on to express the feeling that there would be a “strong push back” among top AEW talent if Tony Khan tried to bring back CM Punk at this stage.

He would go on to say that it was a difficult situation before the Instagram post, but it is now “much more difficult”.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/aew-cm-punk-majority-return-view/

rags

Reaction score
If for some reason you missed last Friday night's episode of Smackdown, it will be repeated tonight at 9:30 Central on FS1.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
A CM Punk/AEW reunion was reportedly looking good prior to deleted Instagram

So did Punk sabotage his own return? Possible. Like him or hate him, he seems like an opinionated guy who is unafraid to say what he thinks out loud. That can be good. It can also be bad.

OR

The Instagram post & delete was done on purpose to generate buzz. If that is the case, it certainly accomplished the goal. Though I do lean towards if it was to generate buzz, he would have left it up.