Projected Contract for Dak - 6 years, $171M with $45M SB, and $90M Guaranteed

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yep, and 3 winning seasons, two playoffs, playoff win, 2 pro bowls, rookie of the year, leads the league in 4th quarter comebacks all in his first 3 years. And you still look silly.

So I guess your gonna be pissed when he signs a 6 year extension eh?
Not really! It just means it's gonna be 6 more years of no chance at a SB as the Cowboys struggle to keep the team together because of an over payed QB and they can't afford to keep him surrounded with first round talent.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You would think with all of this elite talent on the roster you speak of that your boy Garrett could win something more than a dam Wildcard game, but that appears to be his ceiling.
I’d like to how far he could take the talent on this team with an Elite QB.

If we couldn’t advance further with a more Elite QB with this talent around him then I’d be ready ready to dump Garrett.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stafford has never won a playoff game...……….in fact, he has been to the playoffs just 3 times in 10 years with an 0-3 record.

Cousins has never won a playoff game...……….in fact, as a starting QB he is 0-1 in the playoffs and never won more than 9 games ever.

Grappolo has never won a playoff game...……..in fact, he has just 10 career starts.

There is no way you can make the argument to Dak's agent that he should be paid less than these guys, he will laugh in your face.
That’s fine. It still doesn’t change my opinion that’s he’s a less prolific passer than them. I’d like to see what any of their passing skills would do with this talent around them.

It’s tough winning playoff games on average teams even for prolific passing QB’s. Ask Romo.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Actually it’s just football 101. Qb is most Important position in the game. Rb not so much.
But in the case of the Cowboys Dak played awful when Zeke was suspended and the team didn't make the playoffs. Not just awful but the offense was completely anemic in it's losses. But yeah your right the RB shouldn't matter. Only with Dak does it matter. Zeke gets shut down and Dak is MIA.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
If you can't give a good answer why should the Cowboys make a switch? You act as if drafting, development of a qb is easy. You forgot the following.

1. The high bust and turnover rate for qbs. The later the qb is drafted there is a higher likely hood he deserves not pan out.

2. Good QBs are highly saught over in the draft. Moving up to a top ten pick cost a lot. The price go up when a draft class has a strong qb class.

3. Player and time is wasted asking a rookie QB to lead a team to a SB. Let's say we find a guy most qb's at the least take 2-3 years to make it to a SB.

We need to win and win now. Let's load this team and back Dak up. Rather you like it or not the FO is behind Dak. They will lock up their core for the next 3-4 years.

I didn't say I couldn't give you a good answer. I just pointed out that you saying you didn't have one is lazy. I gave you 3 names likely to be in next year's draft that likely have a floor around where Dak's ceiling is. I'd say the same about Darnold and Josh Allen who were taken in 2018. So it's not like there aren't any other options.

Little Jr

Reaction score
But in the case of the Cowboys Dak played awful when Zeke was suspended and the team didn't make the playoffs. Not just awful but the offense was completely anemic in it's losses. But yeah your right the RB shouldn't matter. Only with Dak does it matter. Zeke gets shut down and Dak is MIA.
That had as much and probably more to do with Smith being out than Elliot. In games when Smith was in and Elliot was out we avged 23 ppg. When both were in 27 ppg. When both were out 8ppg.

6,38,30 and 20 were our scores without Elliot and Smith in. 7,9 were our scores with both out.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Stafford has never won a playoff game...……….in fact, he has been to the playoffs just 3 times in 10 years with an 0-3 record.

Cousins has never won a playoff game...……….in fact, as a starting QB he is 0-1 in the playoffs and never won more than 9 games ever.

Grappolo has never won a playoff game...……..in fact, he has just 10 career starts.

There is no way you can make the argument to Dak's agent that he should be paid less than these guys, he will laugh in your face.

I certainly could make that argument. Other people’s mistakes and poor decisions don’t mean I have to follow suit. They can be reasonable and negotiate in good faith realizing Dak was a 4th round pick and while he has over performed that draft status and deserves to be well paid, he is far from a finished product and has much improvement that needs to be made. If they are unwilling to acknowledge that and insist that Dak be paid top 5 QB money, then he will have to play out his rookie deal and likely go through the franchise tag dance all of which will delay his getting a long term big money deal and also may lead his way out of Dallas.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Everyone understands all that but at the end of the day I’m not committing that kind of money long term to Dak Prescott as he is today. I need to see much more. Yes, that cap hit would hurt but it’s only for one year and I already stated my preference would be that somebody takes him off my hand for at least a 1st and 3rd and I go QB hunting in every draft until I find one. With the money It now takes to sign a QB, even a mediocre one that no one knows whether or not will ever be good enough to win a super bowl, it won’t surprise me at all to see the new norm for many teams become only have QBs on their rookie deal and then let them go and get another one.

Will never happen. You're describing owners making their teams "minor leagues" for other teams.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Just make him play for it. The Lawerence kid from Clemson is who I'd be waiting on. You can let the bus driver drive a couple more years then move him back to his original place. The bench as a backup.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That’s fine. It still doesn’t change my opinion that’s he’s a less prolific passer than them. I’d like to see what any of their passing skills would do with this talent around them.

It’s tough winning playoff games on average teams even for prolific passing QB’s. Ask Romo.

When did Grappolo become this all-world prolific passer you speak of?

He has 10 career starts...………….Dak has 48

For you to declare him already better than Dak is highly subjective and statistically erroneous. For anybody that has ever had a college level stats class knows, you cant make a generality based off a very small sample size. For any type of statistical analysis to be considered credible, you need at least 30 data samples at a minimum.

Trust me, I know what I am talking about...……….my parents didnt have to bribe anybody for me to attend UT, I'm naturally smart:thumbup:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
what has he done ?

to get that much money

Won a playoff game?

That's more than Stafford, Cousins, and Grappalo have done and all three of them make around $28 a year.

That's what Dak's agent is going to tell you...……….You think Dak should make less than these guys?

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
He's not worth that type of money. I rather go through pains of finding a new QB then to be stuck with an "average, but paid like I'm an elite" QB

like we did after aikman and finally found years later with romo... nah. I’m not a Dak homer but he has the tools to win games. Hopefully we can get him for 23-26 mil cap hit but If not so be it. Many great qbs in history can’t be put side by side with his numbers first 3 years and look better

Little Jr

Reaction score
Not really! It just means it's gonna be 6 more years of no chance at a SB as the Cowboys struggle to keep the team together because of an over payed QB and they can't afford to keep him surrounded with first round talent.
They can still keep talent around him. Lol I don't where y'all get this stuff from

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The going rate was set a year ago when Cousins and Garappolo signed contracts for $27M and $27.5M per season. Both of them haven't accomplised as much as Dak has in his career. Add a year of inflation, and $28.5M per season is a reasonable figure for an unproven young QB. I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that $28.5M per season is the market rate.

The Cowboys are going to have to commit to Dak for at least 3 more seasons. They don't have a plan B right now. And the longer they wait to lock him up long term, the higher the price is going to be.
I understand what the going rate of an average NFL QB is, on their 2nd contract, but just because other teams have made that mistake doesn't mean this team has to, but they will.
A smart franchise pays elite money to elite players, not elite money because agents demand that they do.
Those opposing this pending contract Im betting like Dak, I do, I like Dak the player and person that he is, but hate overpaying for a non elite franchise QB, and let me rephrase that, its not about the money, its Jerrys money, I don't care what another man wants to do with his money, what I as a fan care about is the cap distribution, and if you miss on your "Franchise QB", and your paying franchise QB going rate , then your cap gets redirected.
Todays game is all about the balancing act,, being able to bring in talent, retain talent, and develop talent …. all this while operating within and under a mandated salary cap.
So you better be damn sure that where your drilling that your going to hit oil there.
Daks deal will be one of Jerrys most important and critical decisions that he has ever made IMO.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Avg QB + starting a few seasons w/the #1 back in the league = 28M a year. I'm not scared to lose him or face him on another team, draft a QB next year and let Dak compete on the tag if need be.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When did Grappolo become this all-world prolific passer you speak of?

He has 10 career starts...………….Dak has 48

For you to declare him already better than Dak is highly subjective and statistically erroneous. For anybody that has ever had a college level stats class knows, you cant make a generality based off a very small sample size. For any type of statistical analysis to be considered credible, you need at least 30 data samples at a minimum.

Trust me, I know what I am talking about...……….my parents didnt have to bribe anybody for me to attend UT, I'm naturally smart:thumbup:
You must not have read thru all of my post because I made a case earlier for the others not Grappola. I said we basically needed more evidence on him before arriving at some conclusions.

Here’s my original response I stand by:

DiehardbluesWell-Known Member
16,658 messages

9,676 likes received

Dak is clearly better than Carr, Cousins, Stafford, and Garrapolo. I agree he deserves to be paid more than them.

My response below...

“That’s a subjective argument . Dak has been on a better team at least in 2 of his seasons.

I’d argue Stafford , Carr and Cousins are all more prolific passers. Garrapolo we haven’t seen much but his potential appears to be greater.

I’m not sure Dak would have had the same success in Wash, Det or Oak for example.”

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Won a playoff game?

That's more than Stafford, Cousins, and Grappalo has done and all three of them make around $28 a year.

That's what Dak's agent is going to tell you...……….Do you think Dak should make less than these guys?
Tim Tebow did too. Can we get him to come back and he was a winner. Like Dak he can't throw but he won.