Twitter: Projected Franchise Tag for Dak: 33.4m

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It’s simple math. Let’s put these numbers into our own spectrum by taking off two zeros.

Let’s say @rocyaice that you’re making $20K per year. I offer you $320K this year. You want $400K. You turn down my offer and make $20K, hoping you hit the motherload next year.

And let’s say that you do. Congrats, you now make $400K per year. But you lost $320K by not taking my offer.

So in 2020 you make $80K more than you would have. And in 2021. And in 2022. And in 2023. Guess what? You still only broke even, because $80K x 4 = $320K. BUT you risked a year of potentially being injured in a violent job with a common occurrence of injury.

So @visionary is indeed visionary. If there’s one thing I have learned in my career it’s take the money in the table. Always.

That isn't how the extension works. The new deal is added onto to the end of this season. He is making the same salary for 2019 whether he signs or not. He isn't losing $32 million for 2019. However there is still an injury concern.

Even if he were losing $32 million, your calculation isn't taking into account the back end of the deal. Dak could easily could be losing more than $32 million by signing a seven year deal, when the cap will likely explode with the new cba next season.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pay Dak. Pay Cooper. Pay Quinn, Jones.......get as many as possible under contract.

Anything to help the off season drama and endless threads about signing those players.
We need to extend Garrett first!! Lol!

CPanther95

Reaction score
Dak already came out and said he didn't expect to be the highest paid in the league. He would already be signed if the Cowboys offered him the same extension Wentz got but the Cowboys want him to sign for seven years.

So he wants Top 5 QB money for a shorter term.

How good would he have to play this season to show he is worth better than just Top 5 money? Maybe winning the Super Bowl? Certainly nothing less is going to have much impact.

Jerry was smart to wait. He saved $30M. That's a boatload of yacht fuel. Plus he gets one more year to evaluate him and make sure he's the guy he wants as the long term franchise QB.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Jerry dropped the ball on this big time,he should have been signed after last season.
Right...a highly inconsistent 2017 and a 50/50 2018 season where we also saw our first shutout in forever. The team has no need to rush if the cap goes up every year. Market value is market value regardless.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So he wants Top 5 QB money for a shorter term.

How good would he have to play this season to show he is worth better than just Top 5 money? Maybe winning the Super Bowl? Certainly nothing less is going to have much impact.

Jerry was smart to wait. He saved $30M. That's a boatload of yacht fuel. Plus he gets one more year to evaluate him and make sure he's the guy he wants as the long term franchise QB.

He didn't save anything if he ends up signing Dak long term anyway (especially if they use the exclusive tag first). The cost is only going to go up. People were laughing about $40 million, but once the new cba hits I think Dak could get that if he keeps playing like this.

Flamma

Reaction score
No, I think most fans agree with you. But his agents are being unreasonable (and moronic).

Before you flame me with “they’re just negotiating for their client), they surrendered $32 million that they could have had in 2019, put their client at risk of getting nothing if he suffers a career-ending injury, all to try for a $40M contract that he won’t get before 2020. As many have pointed out before, even at $40M, it’d take Dak 5 years to recoup the $32M he lost.

So yeah, the strategy is moronic, and Stephen Jones all but said so when he appealed to Dak through the media.

So, @CT Dal Fan Yeah, we all prefer that Dak gets signed and Cooper franchised, but if his agents aren’t budging then the franchise tag it is.

And because of the current CBA, remember one can get franchised and the other a transition tag. I think I’d put the franchise on Cooper and the transition on Dak.

I agree with your last sentence. Transition tagging Dak is low risk since he's already asking for top dollar. At worst Dallas would be paying him around his asking price. At best he'd make less or actually play at the reduced transition tag. But Dallas would still run the risk of some team offering Dak a ridiculous contract.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Increase it to what? He was already demanding the highest salary of any QB in the league.

The salary he was looking to get is what a Super Bowl winning QB would want. The best he can do is win the Super Bowl and just make it an easier pill to swallow.
Allegedly he was asking for that. All we know is his floor was what Goff and Wentz got.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The only thing Dak cares about is DAK!
And this I find normal and in line with any athlete that plays the game of football.
Never forget the next play might be the player's LAST play ever in his career.
What I do find objectable is Dak wanting top 5 QB Cash when it's pretty evident he has Flaws galore!
He is lucky once again to have one of the worst GM in the game-deciding his fate.
Dak will at least lead the Cowboys to an NFC Conference Championship, further than your idol ever did. Choke on that for top 5 pay.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It’s simple math. Let’s put these numbers into our own spectrum by taking off two zeros.

Let’s say @rocyaice that you’re making $20K per year. I offer you $320K this year. You want $400K. You turn down my offer and make $20K, hoping you hit the motherload next year.

And let’s say that you do. Congrats, you now make $400K per year. But you lost $320K by not taking my offer.

So in 2020 you make $80K more than you would have. And in 2021. And in 2022. And in 2023. Guess what? You still only broke even, because $80K x 4 = $320K. BUT you risked a year of potentially being injured in a violent job with a common occurrence of injury.

So @visionary is indeed visionary. If there’s one thing I have learned in my career it’s take the money in the table. Always.
This is all under the assumption you know what the Cowboys offered him. We have seen no guarantee numbers at all.

and my point was.....seeking to get what you are owed doesn’t make you greedy like he tried to imply. Your post has nothing to do with that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think it's the top 10 average at your position. But what good is the Transition tag? You get nothing in return if another team signs your player on the transition tag. That tag is a cheap version of the non exclusive franchise tag except Dallas would receive nothing if they refuse to match. That tag is useful if for example Dallas thinks Dak is asking for more than any other team would offer him.
It would help set a realistic market value for dak.
I am sure he would give the cowboys a chance to match any offer as he seems to want to play here.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak will at least lead the Cowboys to an NFC Conference Championship, further than your idol ever did. Choke on that for top 5 pay.

My Idol was Roger the dodger so drink some more Dak Kool-Aid and keep that book of excuses handy as some toughies are coming up...

P.S. Who knows you might get lucky and we might have injuries you can use once again to excuse Dak once again.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My Idol was Roger the dodger so drink some more Dak Kool-Aid and keep that book of excuses handy as some toughies are coming up...

P.S. Who knows you might get lucky and we might have injuries you can use once again to excuse Dak once again.
Dak is going to get paid mega bucks. You know it. I know it. Everyone knows it. He will be here for a very long time. You're going to need a bucket for all of the tears you will have shed by the time Dak is done in Big D. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will not tag him, they're sold. It's a matter of the length of the contract not the per annum salary. They're not going to get a shot at one of these blue chippers and would need a substantial trade to get Barrow or Tua. I had Tua at 1 but his injuries are a ? and Barrow is as tough as Prescott.

They will need that tag for another player, probably Cooper or B. Jones. Or maybe they use it on a DT. I don't know if they could use that for Quinn since he only had one year left and was a trade.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
How much money is Dak losing by playing for $2 million this season?

Hard to believe he is going to be able to make all that up in negotiations.
Huh?

If he signed today for $100M he gets an additional $100M on top of the $2M he gets this season. He signs for $100M after the season? He gets the $100M with the $2M he already got for this season.

There's nothing to make up.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Right...a highly inconsistent 2017 and a 50/50 2018 season where we also saw our first shutout in forever. The team has no need to rush if the cap goes up every year. Market value is market value regardless.

thats not how it works,they were already convinced he was the Franchise Qb by the end of last season and they have mentioned it repeatedly ,the price probably went up 5-6 million now.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Why all this talk of Dak playing great in 2019??? He has led his team to a 4-3 record. In part because he fell behind 31-3 at home vs. Green Bay. Was outplayed by Bridgewater and could not score 1 TD the whole game. And was outplayed by Sam Darnold & lost to the pathetic Jets. He has thrown 6-7 picks already this year.... & had about 10 other picks dropped. He has missed easy passes with wide open WR's for sure TD's. He has left a ton of meat on the bone. Just about every QB puts up good stats now. Has the offense played amazing???? The talent around Dak is pretty good. What has Dak done to elevate that talent????

They lose to the Jets and you all say he sucks. He plays good against the Eagles and you say he is the best. Do you guys understand how dumb that sounds?

Is this a successful season when they finish 9-7 because they went 6-0 against 3 joke teams in the Commanders, Giants, & Eagles. Don't forget the Dolphins either. 3 of the 4 wins we have our against team's with a record of 3-19.

Dak is a winner??? Because he can play .500 ball????

Anyone that says Dak is awesome is a troll. Is either a troll in disguise or has an incredibly low football IQ & low IQ in general. I would be embarrassed to go on a message board and say such stupid things and than act like I know anything about football.

shabazz

Reaction score
Why all this talk of Dak playing great in 2019??? He has led his team to a 4-3 record. In part because he fell behind 31-3 at home vs. Green Bay. Was outplayed by Bridgewater and could not score 1 TD the whole game. And was outplayed by Sam Darnold & lost to the pathetic Jets. He has thrown 6-7 picks already this year.... & had about 10 other picks dropped. He has missed easy passes with wide open WR's for sure TD's. He has left a ton of meat on the bone. Just about every QB puts up good stats now. Has the offense played amazing???? The talent around Dak is pretty good. What has Dak done to elevate that talent????

They lose to the Jets and you all say he sucks. He plays good against the Eagles and you say he is the best. Do you guys understand how dumb that sounds?

Is this a successful season when they finish 9-7 because they went 6-0 against 3 joke teams in the Commanders, Giants, & Eagles. Don't forget the Dolphins either. 3 of the 4 wins we have our against team's with a record of 3-19.

Dak is a winner??? Because he can play .500 ball????

Anyone that says Dak is awesome is a troll. Is either a troll in disguise or has an incredibly low football IQ & low IQ in general. I would be embarrassed to go on a message board and say such stupid things and than act like I know anything about football.

When Dak can play pass defenses ranked among the worst in the NFL (he's played 4 so far) of course he puts up big numbers ( every average QB has also). But when he has played defenses not ranked among the worst, he has failed to overcome it. Any pressure from the front 4 and he regresses back to Dink and Dunk Dak.

If they want to keep Mediocrity , pay him accordingly. No hatred (because unless stated the Swifties will accuse you of it)……..just business

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Maximizing one's value isn't being greedy. Every business has a budget. If you're a computer programmer, are you going to take a smaller raise so that the company can pay some other programmer more money to help the company 'win' more (be more competitive, make more money...whatever)? Maybe if you have an equity position in the company, you might, but Dak doesn't.

They'll get all these deals done.

Neither is managing the Cap to sign players to reasonable team deals. Two sides to every story.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I'd rather Dallas gets Dak signed before the offseason and use the franchise tag on Amari Cooper if they have to.

Regardless, around $33 million per year is probably what Prescott's new deal is going to be worth anyway.

Now, I'll duck and get out of here...........

That’s Aaron Rodgers money...and way more than Drew Brees. Ridiculous

Last edited: