Props to Dak

LovinItAll

Reaction score
That's a classic, if I close my eye's there's no issue. There are many decent subjective posts outlining why Dak being Very Good, may not be enough. It's not all his fault (though it could be argued that his last contract seriously restricted roster build......but he's (rightly) wanted money over success), but sometimes it's just not meant to be and at 30+, expecting a market setting contract and with an aging/injury ladened O-Line, it looks as if his opportunity is closing.
I wasn’t citing anything subjective, just his stats. He’s a good QB. No, he’s not an elite QB. There are only a handful of those in existence and we don’t have the ability to simply conjure one up. I’d love for him to take a team friendly deal, but I don’t expect him to and won’t get mad if he doesn’t. I’m not sure I would.

I’ve never believed that any QB bears the ultimate responsibility for winning or losing because it isn’t true. There are 21 other starters that have a job to do. It’s like when someone says, ‘WRSomeone was wide open! That QB is a hack.’ That open WR may have been his 4th read and the QB may not have had time to get to his 3rd read, much less his 4th. We don’t know. We aren’t in the QB room. We also don’t know what the coaches allow the players to do. In fact, we know very little about what any team’s internal structure is. It looks like the Panthers should’ve taken Stroud based on stats, but Young has ZERO time to operate the Panthers offense. No QB can succeed in the NFL surrounded by guys that can’t block.

Anyway, I roll with what we have. I don’t complain about it because I can’t change anything. I’m not going to be miserable over anything outside of my control. I think Dak can take the right team to a SB and win. Flacco did, along with a bunch of other QBs that were on the same level as Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No QB can succeed in the NFL surrounded by guys that can’t block.

Anyway, I roll with what we have. I don’t complain about it because I can’t change anything. I’m not going to be miserable over anything outside of my control. I think Dak can take the right team to a SB and win. Flacco did, along with a bunch of other QBs that were on the same level as Dak.
I'm not contesting that Dak isnt a good QB. What i'm arguing is that he and his contract isnt going to get to win a SB and trends and stats somewhat back that up. Youre gambling on a hope strategy that something miraculous happens when he hasnt shown two consecutive play-off wins and wont have another roster to compare to what he's had.

You mention Flacco (so it took you over 10 to find an example), his CAP% was just 6.6% which allowed for a sound all round roster on both sides of the ball, unfortunately, Dak: his contract and the deferred bonus means there wont be sufficient CAP left to provide the very O-Line you confess a QB needs to succeed.

Next year we'll need: a LT (Tyron FA), C (Biadasz FA), even then we've got question marks on Steele (hopefully improve after a year on from injury) and Martin (who'll turn 34 next season and is showing signs of age related dip in form).

Im not miserable about it, and agree he played well......but the same old inability to see it over the line (and, no excuses, he has the ball in his hand) indicates he's never going to get over the hump.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Omg.....you're always going to add a variable. Doesn't matter if its during the cap or not.
Of course the CAP matters, do you think we could of retained the 90's team with a CAP. If there was no CAP and you took Dak, just a player, hell yes i'd sign him for life, as you'd be able to sign the weapons he'd need (eg - the offense he had available in 2016)......but there is a CAP and even most of Dak out and out lovers admit he needs weapons.

This is the problem when you deny the CAP exists, it's never really seen at the top end contracts, but it leaves you with too many JAGS and holes in the roster which opponents will target.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
They scored 40 points what do you mean the Eagles game was nothing but field goals? Doesn’t even make sense.
We arent talking/debating Dak's general play (Eagles nor the Bucc's), but that Eagles win didnt show Dak in the ultimate clutch scenario (NEEDING A TD TO WIN), he only needed to get down the field for a FG (a long one at that). Where he appears to fail repeatedly (SF X2 Play-offs and Eagles this year) is the clutch game winning TD. Of the last couple of years I can only think of the 3-13-1 Texans win.
You don’t think you can win with Dak but you would’ve took an extreme gamble and traded for a 30 year old running back lol.
I dont think we can win with Dak because his CAP hit (especially moving forward) will seriously restrict the roster around him (not the top end Micah, CeeDee but areas like the O/Line).

This is the year to win it all and our running game with present O-line with TP isnt going to give the varied offense we'll need especially that we'd need against SF. Next year as pointed out in a post above we'll be needing a minimum of two starting O-Line men......if you havent got the O-Line you sure need a physical RB.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We arent talking/debating Dak's general play (Eagles nor the Bucc's), but that Eagles win didnt show Dak in the ultimate clutch scenario (NEEDING A TD TO WIN), he only needed to get down the field for a FG (a long one at that). Where he appears to fail repeatedly (SF X2 Play-offs and Eagles this year) is the clutch game winning TD. Of the last couple of years I can only think of the 3-13-1 Texans win.

I dont think we can win with Dak because his CAP hit (especially moving forward) will seriously restrict the roster around him (not the top end Micah, CeeDee but areas like the O/Line).

This is the year to win it all and our running game with present O-line with TP isnt going to give the varied offense we'll need especially that we'd need against SF. Next year as pointed out in a post above we'll be needing a minimum of two starting O-Line men......if you havent got the O-Line you sure need a physical RB.
So we don’t count game winning field goals now? The goal post just keeps moving man lol.

You’re worried about Daks cap hit but we don’t even know what it will be. You guys said his contract would hinder us and it hasn’t. Y’all said this 3 years ago….

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So we don’t count game winning field goals now? The goal post just keeps moving man lol.
No, it's always been TD's he's struggled with, accumulating yards for a kicker he's got no problem with .....
SFx2 and Eagles - the constants are Dak and needing a TD to win (and clock ticking).
You’re worried about Daks cap hit but we don’t even know what it will be. You guys said his contract would hinder us and it hasn’t. Y’all said this 3 years ago….
:huh:....well we know the outstanding deferred bonus need to be added + probably the $34m salary/roster bonus for 2024, which he probably assumes he's due (even though its not guaranteed).... add in the rumors of market setting deal and the fact he'll be 31 I think we can expect a massive hit.
Yep, we said it 3 years ago and look where it got us....if you're satisfied with the one play-off team in that period what can I say.
Agree he's not the problem, but as I said with a contract extension he's not the solution.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Dak completely mismanaged his team when it mattered most...go watch the replay...he couldn't get the 1st and goal play from the 6 off in time due to a stupid audible and that forced Smith to jump...just run the play man and if you do not like it throw it away.

Second he took a sack (the only think other than turning the ball over that he could not do on the next play)...YOU CANNOT TAKE A SACK...just take three steps see your first read and throw it in the stands (you have three more plays and probably 20 seconds at that point)...he killed them taking the sack and have 4 seconds to throw it away and didn't...he also had a delay of game trying to audible (again)...

He just choked.
He tried to go Tim Tebow...instead of doing something conventional. If I'm MM, I'm giving him the side-eye...like...*** told you to change the play on 1st and goal on the 6 with NO TIMEOUTS from a pass to a QB draw?

Either he went full Tebow or he was too scared to make THE throw in the end zone - with Philly's starting corners sidelined - to win the game. Either scenario is damning.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I'm not contesting that Dak isnt a good QB. What i'm arguing is that he and his contract isnt going to get to win a SB and trends and stats somewhat back that up. Youre gambling on a hope strategy that something miraculous happens when he hasnt shown two consecutive play-off wins and wont have another roster to compare to what he's had.

You mention Flacco (so it took you over 10 to find an example), his CAP% was just 6.6% which allowed for a sound all round roster on both sides of the ball, unfortunately, Dak: his contract and the deferred bonus means there wont be sufficient CAP left to provide the very O-Line you confess a QB needs to succeed.

Next year we'll need: a LT (Tyron FA), C (Biadasz FA), even then we've got question marks on Steele (hopefully improve after a year on from injury) and Martin (who'll turn 34 next season and is showing signs of age related dip in form).

Im not miserable about it, and agree he played well......but the same old inability to see it over the line (and, no excuses, he has the ball in his hand) indicates he's never going to get over the hump.
The QB’s % of the cap definitely has an impact on a team’s ability to surround him with upper echelon talent. There’s nothing anyone can do about it. Brady took team friendly deals for his own reasons: His wife had already guaranteed that his family would have generational wealth. Mahomes contract didn’t look all that team friendly when he signed it, but it’s a bargain now. We’ll see what happens when it’s renegotiated.

Rodgers demanded big money and GB went nowhere. It’s the nature of the NFL. They want parity and they got it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Props to dak, he almost made it a complete game without choking. That should put him in the MVP race. :facepalm:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The QB’s % of the cap definitely has an impact on a team’s ability to surround him with upper echelon talent. There’s nothing anyone can do about it. Brady took team friendly deals for his own reasons: His wife had already guaranteed that his family would have generational wealth. Mahomes contract didn’t look all that team friendly when he signed it, but it’s a bargain now. We’ll see what happens when it’s renegotiated.

Rodgers demanded big money and GB went nowhere. It’s the nature of the NFL. They want parity and they got it.
The reasoning doesn't matter, it's fact that when the QB hits top market they need to shoulder the added responsibility (ala Mahomes), or accept that prefer winning (ala Brady).
Rodgers is a great example of how difficult it is to win on a top market contract....hasn't he seen the light and forgone some of his roster bonus.
The issue with Dak (and his contract, moving forward is):
a) he's earning $34m (money) next season).
b) the deferred bonus payments will be added on, which means we don't get much (if any of a window ala Hurts, Burrow).

I reiterate, my argument is about Dak being good enough in a non-CAP era he would be. However, when his CAP hit means you can't pack his offense with weapons and protection he hasn't the tools to step up and take the team to ultimate victory (close but no cigar).
I get the counter argument about get him the help, however, his contract would necessitate losing picks eg Henry for a 1st (rumored).....but then what about the O-Line????

blueblood70

Reaction score
He doesn’t have the mentality but Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Cam Newton, Brad Johnson and Rex Grossman did?
trent Dilfer nick Foles and that spare part in Mcmahon for the bears?? these are great qbs with great vision and pay?? elite leaders lmao. goys who made it like Kap, Garoppolo and goff all elite players for sure. :))

fans still missing the point of a team game and when you don't have a run game your offensive line is playing bad and your defense doesn't show up... Sure make the quarterback at Target as usual lmao

blueblood70

Reaction score
Pocket awareness
Situational awareness
Basically, awareness when it matters the most in important games.
Why don't you sell that crap to somebody who doesn't watch football because we all know there are a bunch of other players on this team that must have also missed that school where they taught those three things... I guess you missed the part of the class to where it's a team game and the fact is the offensive line was bad there was no run game the defense was bad the referees were bad flags were flying all around but you want your quarterback to have all those things work for him?? There's so much delusion in here that you think quarterbacks can play well and that situation Prescott played as well as he possibly could given the situation around him was less than perfect for three straight weeks now... He's literally been carrying this offense for three weeks straight there's been nothing else but him and CD lamb playing street ball the whole professional football team around them might have missed that class about blocking in situational football and doing your job and limiting points to less than 28 points I mean the defense is the actual Majority of the reason we've lost those three games this year..

Y'all get lost in the fact that you have to have a better team better coaching better game plan and better execution around you to take that next step he has plenty of all those things you guys are talking about until everything around him is breaking down and hes got to go fight for every yard,,

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why don't you sell that crap to somebody who doesn't watch football because we all know there are a bunch of other players on this team that must have also missed that school where they taught those three things... I guess you missed the part of the class to where it's a team game and the fact is the offensive line was bad there was no run game the defense was bad the referees were bad flags were flying all around but you want your quarterback to have all those things work for him?? There's so much delusion in here that you think quarterbacks can play well and that situation Prescott played as well as he possibly could given the situation around him was less than perfect for three straight weeks now... He's literally been carrying this offense for three weeks straight there's been nothing else but him and CD lamb playing street ball the whole professional football team around them might have missed that class about blocking in situational football and doing your job and limiting points to less than 28 points I mean the defense is the actual Majority of the reason we've lost those three games this year..

Y'all get lost in the fact that you have to have a better team better coaching better game plan and better execution around you to take that next step he has plenty of all those things you guys are talking about until everything around him is breaking down and hes got to go fight for every yard,,
Your view is correct...Typhus has been a strong as well as a supportive Cowboys fan even before this board was created...back when the 'Star Wars' Sports Illustrated board was dominant. He's positive, unlike many others on site.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Your view is correct...Typhus has been a strong as well as a supportive Cowboys fan even before this board was created...back when the 'Star Wars' Sports Illustrated board was dominant. He's positive, unlike many others on site.
Hey I was just being honest I didn't call the man names I just letting him know that him just throwing those things out there to add to the little pile of things that Prescott is not good at without any context or mentioning any of the other things that we're breaking down for a while now especially in the playoffs

it's the same nonsense in the playoffs you show me the 2018 Rams games and the 2 niner games those three losses you showed me the run game you show me the physical offensive line you show me the genius play calling and the game plan and you show me the defense and I'll show you a history of playoff losses that were more to do with other factors around Prescott and not just Prescott they act like he can't take us to the promise land and I'm saying this team cannot take us to the promise land unless they all step up when it counts most and so far they have not..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hey I was just being honest I didn't call the man names I just letting him know that him just throwing those things out there to add to the little pile of things that Prescott is not good at without any context or mentioning any of the other things that we're breaking down for a while now especially in the playoffs

it's the same nonsense in the playoffs you show me the 2018 Rams games and the 2 niner games those three losses you showed me the run game you show me the physical offensive line you show me the genius play calling and the game plan and you show me the defense and I'll show you a history of playoff losses that were more to do with other factors around Prescott and not just Prescott they act like he can't take us to the promise land and I'm saying this team cannot take us to the promise land unless they all step up when it counts most and so far they have not..
Understood and a solid stance by yourself. Typhus is 100% betting on both the Cowboys and Prescott. You can count on that as well. Enjoy the win! I stand on that as well! :starspin:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Conceding 28 points to a team with a strong offense and an 8-1 record is manageable if the offense is good enough. By way of comparison Washington put up 31 points on the Eagles x 2 whilst the Chiefs D conceded 35 points against them in the Superbowl...and still won.

The Cowboys offense put up 23 points. It just isn't going to get it done against decent teams.
we need to cash in on those opportunities down close. we tend to grab losses from Jaws of victory. this team is not prepared for those big moments. the coaches. assistant coaches. QB, WRs, OL, RB, all of them

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This has to be probably the best camouflaged dumb take I've seen this week.

1. You have No clue what blocking responsibilities were pre-snap! Did Dak audible to help? What excuse does Smith have for false starting???

2. You have No Clue what responsibilities changed after the Audible.

3. You assume the best defensive front isn't good enough to Sack Prescott before he throw the ball away.

4. Stop Choking on your Replay Entitlement.....Even the ALL 22s can't tell the whole story!!!

This Weird stuff :laugh:
every wrong thing that happens its all, always Dak's fault. offsides. Dak's fault. Steele not playing well, Dak's fault. the OL run blocking sucks, its Dak's fault. once you accept that, then it all will make sense to you

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

so what's your solution? ensuring we are better.