Props to Dak

Blackrain

Reaction score
You are our leader. This was always going to be the watershed year, with the structure of Dak's contract combined with next seasons loss to free agency and aging O-Line.

I wonder if the 49ers capitulation unnerved the Jones' and have accepted that it's extremely unlikely that we go all the way with this team.

In relation to the thread, give Dak everything to succeed this season as next year (with rookie LT and Center, a HoF RG that's coming back to earth and questions at RT) it's going to get difficult.
Yes brother I can see it our offensive line is like a hunting dog in his 9th season.
Next year is going to require some serious rebuilding if you don't push the chips into the middle of the table this year shoot the works and try and get it done it's not going to happen for a while just my opinion

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is Top 10 in almost every statistical category (Top 5 in some) even yards thrown if adjusted to 9 games. Haters gonna hate, and believe me when I say that while they may stop hating for a game if he got us a SB win, they'd be right back at it the next year. Of course, if we ever get that SB win with Dak, it won't be 'because of him'.

It's perfectly fine to have reasonable objections about any player, but I never read the true haters posts because they're on 'ignore', which coincidentally is a derivative of 'ignorant'.

Go Cowboys!
That's a classic, if I close my eye's there's no issue. There are many decent subjective posts outlining why Dak being Very Good, may not be enough. It's not all his fault (though it could be argued that his last contract seriously restricted roster build......but he's (rightly) wanted money over success), but sometimes it's just not meant to be and at 30+, expecting a market setting contract and with an aging/injury ladened O-Line, it looks as if his opportunity is closing.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes brother I can see it our offensive line is like a hunting dog in his 9th season.
Next year is going to require some serious rebuilding if you don't push the chips into the middle of the table this year shoot the works and try and get it done it's not going to happen for a while just my opinion
:hammer:.....and if we think we're going all-in next season Stephen will never have a 1st Rd pick this side of his 70th Birthday.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak completely mismanaged his team when it mattered most...go watch the replay...he couldn't get the 1st and goal play from the 6 off in time due to a stupid audible and that forced Smith to jump...just run the play man and if you do not like it throw it away.

Second he took a sack (the only think other than turning the ball over that he could not do on the next play)...YOU CANNOT TAKE A SACK...just take three steps see your first read and throw it in the stands (you have three more plays and probably 20 seconds at that point)...he killed them taking the sack and have 4 seconds to throw it away and didn't...he also had a delay of game trying to audible (again)...

He just choked.
This has to be probably the best camouflaged dumb take I've seen this week.

1. You have No clue what blocking responsibilities were pre-snap! Did Dak audible to help? What excuse does Smith have for false starting???

2. You have No Clue what responsibilities changed after the Audible.

3. You assume the best defensive front isn't good enough to Sack Prescott before he throw the ball away.

4. Stop Choking on your Replay Entitlement.....Even the ALL 22s can't tell the whole story!!!

This Weird stuff :laugh:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Not many would dispassionately disagree....DAK IS A VERY VERY GOOD QB. But, for whatever reason he's just not a winner and yes it's not all his fault.

You mention Herbert, well QB's are also held to the contract and CAP hit they're been paid/allocated. Herbert as a rookie will judged differently now that he's been 'paid'. If you look at the CAP% hit on SB winning QB's, if you're not elite, then it's never much over 10% (even Stafford). Dak's already approaching 12% this season and will raise to 22% and 13% in the next two years.

Fans have quoted Hurts contract, well the MASSIVE differences is that he's young so can extend to a longer deal which allows for 'value' years upto 2027. With Dak's deferred bonus (and im sure he'd what the 2024 $34m 'salary' to be factored into any extension) he's going to have a high CAP% immediately,

Dak has definitely stepped up, but it still isnt good enough and his contract/CAP HIT means there's insufficient resources (moving forward) to give him the assistance he needs.
I agree, I just get tired of the talking heads and fans running amuck with the false narratives trying t0 either convince themselves, 0r gaslight us, that Certain media darlings like Herbert, is elite. Thus far, he isn't. We can win with Dak, but I think Trey Lance is the future.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Despite the usual bile from some of the haters on this forum, Dak played awesome, he easily outplayed Hurts.

This one is on the o-line, particularly Steele, who is a revolving door if I've ever seen one.
Four sacks and a lot of pressures are, for sure. That performance was an eyesore against the Eagles. Hey, he's a football player and not an All Pro...yet.

There are alternatives that are solid as well. A three game streak is long enough to get up to speed or identify injury as a culprit.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree, it was not solely on Dak. But just like any other part of the team he had his weaker moments. And the sum of it all caused the loss. Just don't give me that "awesome" crap. Awesome means a great game which he turned into a win by delivering in that deciding moment. But that's not Dak. The problem is not, that he ain't good. But he just can't give us those extra 5% when needed like a Mahomes.

So no, he did not lose that game. He played like a good top 15 QB, like he always has, or most of the time. But he didn't play like a top 3 QB. And you need a top 3 QB to win a Superbowl, if the rest of the team ain't top 3 material.

So all in all nothing new has been dug up during this game. I knew staying neutral and just wait and see was the right approach. The main discovery yesterday was, that nothing new was discovered. One and out. Maybe two and out, but that's it as long as the Jones boys steer the ship the way they have been doing ever since the salary cap.

Edit: My post kinda sounds more negative towards Dak than I wanted it to sound lol. Dak did play well and yes he was one of the better Cowboys yesterday. So yes, props to him. He definately did not "cause the loss" or anything. The loss was more "Cowboy DNA" than anything else. That is who we were from 1996 onwards, who we are atm and who we will continue to be for quite some time. It's a mentality thing more than anything else.
We are supposed to be a Nation of the common man working his butt off and achieving by effort. Not the label of beyond beatable from just too much talent.

This is OUR team and yea, good now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
xNiZfG.gif
That is at least...honesty!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wish I could like this 100x
Team dynamics take gambles and the focus on just that have possible pressure points. That takes team to overcome.

It all isn't sending post cards from a cartel run resort in Mexico...where 1 in 5 employed are by cartels?

Gambit

Reaction score
Nah, as I said, I want a QB who can make those plays that are the difference between playing well & getting the win against good opponents.

He was indeed being chased but he wasn't being contacted. He has to see the angle then plant his foot & lunge in time to give himself a chance to get to the pylon.
Didn't he do that like the play before and got flipped upside down?

He made a heck of attempt just misjudged how much room he had, simple as that.

Watch play again, you can see him make the decision to push for pylon, you see him change hands with the ball to give him best chances to put ball over line, you can even see him put foot in ground and push for the enzobe, all while having Graham nearing down in him, just misjudged or misstepped. But it wasn't lack of effort.

Gambit

Reaction score
Hurts was 17-23 for 207 yrds and 2 TD's plus a rushing TD. They ran for 100 yards and we ran for about 73. The difference in rushing yards was Hurts in essence. He took advantage of every opportunity in the red zone and their team scored 4 td's. He had a rating of 130. Ran the ball 10 times for 36 yards and had how many first downs rushing.... So yeah, I would say Hurts was the main reason they won and scored 28 pts.

Dak was the main reason we did not score 28. He stepped out on the 2 pt conversion and he blew 1st and goal from the 6 and had he not stepped out on the two point conversion his team would more than likely had scored at least 28!
Alternatively we take the extra points and the FG and a FG at the end from the 6 or 11 wins it.

Maybe if Steele doesn't play matador with what ever DE they put out there and protects Dak a whole lot better game wide but especially in closing seconds we win. Maybe if CD, Ferg, Gallup don't simply drop the ball with space to run we aren't forced into so many poor positions, maybe if we had a run game worth talking good about we score on play we decided to not take FG wed not be so one dimensional in Redzone. Maybe if players lined up quickly and didn't cause others to jump offsides at 6 or heck if players just didn't jump off sides from the 6

But please, go ahead and tell us it's all Dak's fault.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Didn't he do that like the play before and got flipped upside down?

He made a heck of attempt just misjudged how much room he had, simple as that.

Watch play again, you can see him make the decision to push for pylon, you see him change hands with the ball to give him best chances to put ball over line, you can even see him put foot in ground and push for the enzobe, all while having Graham nearing down in him, just misjudged or misstepped. But it wasn't lack of effort.
For me, it's a play you have to believe is critical at that stage of the game. I don't see the full out effort to turn his momentum up field. JMO

aikemirv

Reaction score
Alternatively we take the extra points and the FG and a FG at the end from the 6 or 11 wins it.

Maybe if Steele doesn't play matador with what ever DE they put out there and protects Dak a whole lot better game wide but especially in closing seconds we win. Maybe if CD, Ferg, Gallup don't simply drop the ball with space to run we aren't forced into so many poor positions, maybe if we had a run game worth talking good about we score on play we decided to not take FG wed not be so one dimensional in Redzone. Maybe if players lined up quickly and didn't cause others to jump offsides at 6 or heck if players just didn't jump off sides from the 6

But please, go ahead and tell us it's all Dak's fault.
Again - Dak did not clearly outplay Hurts. He had more yards and threw the ball 21 times more (almost double) with less yards per attempt and we scored 5 pts less. Don't remember a CD drop and maybe with just a little touch Gallup catches that 7 yard fastball and maybe Dak could learn to throw the ball away instead of taking a sack with 27 seconds to go!! And maybe he has the ability to dive for the endzone instead of stepping on the line, then maybe he is the clear cut best player on the field and wins the game!

Dorsett33

Reaction score
.....Pre-CAP, where opposition teams could stock up on talent. Go check the CAP% of SB winning QB's, unless you're the elite Mahomes/Brady then the expenditure on QB's hardly ever reaches over 10%.
Omg.....you're always going to add a variable. Doesn't matter if its during the cap or not.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Whether you are talking about bus drivers that won the SB or all time greats that failed to, both are what are called outliers. They do not disprove the general rule that you need elite QBs to win Super Bowls, and that your best chance of winning a Super Bowl is to acquire an elite QB in the 1st round.

To argue in favor of hoping for an outlier situation is to try and plan to win the lottery. Jerry has been trying since Aikman retired and not only has it not worked, the Cowboys haven't even been back to a conference title game.

Perhaps its time to stop trying to buck trends or reinvent the wheel. Perhaps we should just draft QBs in the first round until we find an elite one.
I agree with some of what you're saying and I disagree with some. Jerry has failed to put a COMPLETE TEAM together. Whether it's not the right coaches, receivers, o-line, defense, QB or whatever. Every year, we seem to have something missing. Too many put the onus on the QB...namely Dak. Dak is better than some QBs that won the SB. He's not as good as some that never won a SB. It's putting a team together...including coaches...that are on the same sheet of music. That's very very difficult. I think this team has the team to compete for a SB, but they all have to gel together at the right time.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Despite the usual bile from some of the haters on this forum, Dak played awesome, he easily outplayed Hurts.

This one is on the o-line, particularly Steele, who is a revolving door if I've ever seen one.
I am grateful that we finally figured out Ferguson is a weapon.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, the Eagles comeback win was via FG's (not TD's), which is my point, he's great at accumulating yards but when its 7pts he's found wanting.

Again with the "DOING IT ALONE", yes im not denying other factors, but DAK HAS THE BALL IN EVERY PLAY, he is the ONLY consistent in the two SF play-off defeats and Eagles games, the reasons for failure were, as I said earlier:
- KM - not there in the Eagles loss
-penalties - not against SF2
- no running game - SF1 we had Zeke/Pollard
- Weak WR Corp - SF1 (Coop and CeeDee), Eagles CeeDee and Cooks)

I say again, this is as good as it gets, with his CAP hit and glaring weakness (will need LT, C, LB/DE) (probably need RG, RT and CB) are we going to get better. The more I loo at it im with @Blackrain 's opinion that we probably gone for it the extreme gamble and offered the Titans whatever they wanted for Henry).
They scored 40 points what do you mean the Eagles game was nothing but field goals? Doesn’t even make sense. You don’t think you can win with Dak but you would’ve took an extreme gamble and traded for a 30 year old running back lol.

krs1bro

Reaction score
I'm all in with Dak if he plays like that every week. The coaches for this team is the let down regarding game time adjustments. Especially when T Steele is not blocking at all or attempting to. Totally messes up the rhythm and good play that's occurring. Wining takes all phases....we aren't there sadly. T Starts next week and will be same Sh$$t show. Dam JJ hire a consultant if your coaches cant scheme during a game...yikes!!

Last edited: