Props to Dak

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Dak made tough throws under duress all game….Hurts makes one throw that was great in the 3rd quarter and that’s what separates the two? What about his fumble? No? The one that didn’t hurt him?

And what Dak did in previous years good or bad is irrelevant to 2023. What he did 3 years ago means nothing. It’s a whole new year and new teams.
I was simply giving an example of a play that could have, would have been an incompletion with a lot of QB's & WR's. In this instance, they made it work. Points on the board. If it hadn't people would have just seen it as a low probability throw ending incomplete.

No, it's not irrelevant when we see the same pattern of mistakes & inability to seize the moment.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I was simply giving an example of a play that could have, would have been an incompletion with a lot of QB's & WR's. In this instance, they made it work. Points on the board. If it hadn't people would have just seen it as a low probability throw ending incomplete.

No, it's not irrelevant when we see the same pattern of mistakes & inability to seize the moment.
I don’t know it was a great throw but I mean I expect Devonta to make that catch and for Hurts to make that throw.

And it is irrelevant. To me anyway. What Dak did last year against the Buccs has no bearings on what he will do this year.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well would you say Hurts play was the main reason the Eagles won, would you say Dak's play was the main reason we were in the game late? If you answer those truthfully its not a stretch..
Hurts was 17-23 for 207 yrds and 2 TD's plus a rushing TD. They ran for 100 yards and we ran for about 73. The difference in rushing yards was Hurts in essence. He took advantage of every opportunity in the red zone and their team scored 4 td's. He had a rating of 130. Ran the ball 10 times for 36 yards and had how many first downs rushing.... So yeah, I would say Hurts was the main reason they won and scored 28 pts.

Dak was the main reason we did not score 28. He stepped out on the 2 pt conversion and he blew 1st and goal from the 6 and had he not stepped out on the two point conversion his team would more than likely had scored at least 28!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Hurts was 17-23 for 207 yrds and 2 TD's plus a rushing TD. They ran for 100 yards and we ran for about 73. The difference in rushing yards was Hurts in essence. He took advantage of every opportunity in the red zone and their team scored 4 td's. He had a rating of 130. Ran the ball 10 times for 36 yards and had how many first downs rushing.... So yeah, I would say Hurts was the main reason they won and scored 28 pts.

Dak was the main reason we did not score 28. He stepped out on the 2 pt conversion and he blew 1st and goal from the 6 and had he not stepped out on the two point conversion his team would more than likely had scored at least 28!
lol so your saying that our defense couldnt force one FG in the redzone? and Dak was the reason we lost..ok I guess truthfully has a diferent meaning in your household..ooh well.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I agree, it was not solely on Dak. But just like any other part of the team he had his weaker moments. And the sum of it all caused the loss. Just don't give me that "awesome" crap. Awesome means a great game which he turned into a win by delivering in that deciding moment. But that's not Dak. The problem is not, that he ain't good. But he just can't give us those extra 5% when needed like a Mahomes.

So no, he did not lose that game. He played like a good top 15 QB, like he always has, or most of the time. But he didn't play like a top 3 QB. And you need a top 3 QB to win a Superbowl, if the rest of the team ain't top 3 material.

So all in all nothing new has been dug up during this game. I knew staying neutral and just wait and see was the right approach. The main discovery yesterday was, that nothing new was discovered. One and out. Maybe two and out, but that's it as long as the Jones boys steer the ship the way they have been doing ever since the salary cap.

Edit: My post kinda sounds more negative towards Dak than I wanted it to sound lol. Dak did play well and yes he was one of the better Cowboys yesterday. So yes, props to him. He definately did not "cause the loss" or anything. The loss was more "Cowboy DNA" than anything else. That is who we were from 1996 onwards, who we are atm and who we will continue to be for quite some time. It's a mentality thing more than anything else.
False statement! So...you mean to tell me Trent Dilfer was a top 3 QB in the league the year the Ravens won the SB? He wasn't even top 10. Lol.

Swagger

Reaction score
Well would you say Hurts play was the main reason the Eagles won, would you say Dak's play was the main reason we were in the game late? If you answer those truthfully its not a stretch..
I thought Prescott was very good and excellent at times until the final 5 minutes when he shot his bolt as usual.

Hurts was more efficient with his throws and his TD pass to Smith was elite. They both made good use of their legs.

They both had very good games overall but for me Hurts was more consistent and efficient.

aikemirv

Reaction score
lol so your saying that our defense couldnt force one FG in the redzone? and Dak was the reason we lost..ok I guess truthfully has a diferent meaning in your household..ooh well.
So truthfully to you is that our defense is bad and Hurts was not good? I never said Dak was the reason we lost. He in fact was not as efficient as Hurts and his offense did not score as many points even though they passed for 170 more yards. Dak was the reason however that we did not score 5 more pts at the end of the game!

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So truthfully to you is that our defense is bad and Hurts was not good? I never said Dak was the reason we lost. He in fact was not as efficient as Hurts and his offense did not score as many points even though they passed for 170 more yards. Dak was the reason however that we did not score 5 more pts at the end of the game!
the defense gave up 28 points before the 4th are you saying they played good? You switch Hurts and Dak in that game and Philthy beats us by 2 TD's the way Dak was throwing the ball, Hurts has a run game and an oline and didnt throw the ball as well as Dak so yeah by every metric Dak played the QB position beater than Hurts that game..now you can make an argument that the Beagles didnt need Hurts to win that game by throwing which is the truth..

aikemirv

Reaction score
the defense gave up 28 points before the 4th are you saying they played good? You switch Hurts and Dak in that game and Philthy beats us by 2 TD's the way Dak was throwing the ball, Hurts has a run game and an oline and didnt throw the ball as well as Dak so yeah by every metric Dak played the QB position beater than Hurts that game..now you can make an argument that the Beagles didnt need Hurts to win that game by throwing which is the truth..
QB rating higher, YPA higher, Completion % higher, TD ratio higher.
It is just a matter of opinion, no facts!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
False statement! So...you mean to tell me Trent Dilfer was a top 3 QB in the league the year the Ravens won the SB? He wasn't even top 10. Lol.
These mediocre QBs winning a Superbowl had a team that carried them. It was enough for them to steer the bus. The Cowboys are not such a team so we'd need someone like Mahomes to compensate. You often can't have both, we seem to have neither.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
These mediocre QBs winning a Superbowl had a team that carried them. It was enough for them to steer the bus. The Cowboys are not such a team so we'd need someone like Mahomes to compensate. You often can't have both, we seem to have neither.
OK. So in your theory, explain Dan Fouts situation. Or, Dan Marino. Both are top 3 in their respective years and didn't win a SB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
All we keep being told by the so called experts and many delusional or willfully blind fans is , Dak isnt good or elite. But when u look at the facts, HE IS VERY VERY GOOD, yet somehow Herbert spreads feces like fertilizer last 3 weeks and he is considered elite? Despite what we see. Missing WIDE OPEN GUYS Routinely. The mighty Jets should have won that game against the Chargers if they had an NFL QB.. Herbert was feces. Hes been consistently overrated and jag the last 3 weeks. Btw, what did Dak do against the Jets when we beat them? Facts are nasty things when a certain narrative is being Promoted. Im proud of Dak. Hes really stepped it up.
Not many would dispassionately disagree....DAK IS A VERY VERY GOOD QB. But, for whatever reason he's just not a winner and yes it's not all his fault.

You mention Herbert, well QB's are also held to the contract and CAP hit they're been paid/allocated. Herbert as a rookie will judged differently now that he's been 'paid'. If you look at the CAP% hit on SB winning QB's, if you're not elite, then it's never much over 10% (even Stafford). Dak's already approaching 12% this season and will raise to 22% and 13% in the next two years.

Fans have quoted Hurts contract, well the MASSIVE differences is that he's young so can extend to a longer deal which allows for 'value' years upto 2027. With Dak's deferred bonus (and im sure he'd what the 2024 $34m 'salary' to be factored into any extension) he's going to have a high CAP% immediately,

Dak has definitely stepped up, but it still isnt good enough and his contract/CAP HIT means there's insufficient resources (moving forward) to give him the assistance he needs.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I do think the Cowboys need a big bodied lead running back like a Derrick Henry or AJ Dillon with Pollard the complimentary dynamic piece and a change of pace.
Agree, (im sure you're getting a like from @Blackrain) , but the problem is, as we know, is that to get we'd of had to of blown away the Titans (sounds like a it would of taken a 1st). That's a heavy gamble on a team that's good but had recently got thumped by a team we'd have to go through to win it all.

.....and lets not forget we need to replace: LT, C, LB/DE as a matter of urgency next off season.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You guys pick and chose when you want to say something is a big game. We are in agreement that he can’t get over the 49ers hurdler for whatever reason. I concede that team has his number. But Philly does not. They were trailing by 10 last year and he came back and won that game for them. The guys who bring their teams back aren’t doing it alone. It takes excelling and executing the plays that are called. It takes calling the right plays. Takes making the right reads….NFL isn’t done sandlot sport I know Mahomes makes it look that way but it’s not.
No, the Eagles comeback win was via FG's (not TD's), which is my point, he's great at accumulating yards but when its 7pts he's found wanting.

Again with the "DOING IT ALONE", yes im not denying other factors, but DAK HAS THE BALL IN EVERY PLAY, he is the ONLY consistent in the two SF play-off defeats and Eagles games, the reasons for failure were, as I said earlier:
- KM - not there in the Eagles loss
-penalties - not against SF2
- no running game - SF1 we had Zeke/Pollard
- Weak WR Corp - SF1 (Coop and CeeDee), Eagles CeeDee and Cooks)

I say again, this is as good as it gets, with his CAP hit and glaring weakness (will need LT, C, LB/DE) (probably need RG, RT and CB) are we going to get better. The more I loo at it im with @Blackrain 's opinion that we probably gone for it the extreme gamble and offered the Titans whatever they wanted for Henry).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
OK. So in your theory, explain Dan Fouts situation. Or, Dan Marino. Both are top 3 in their respective years and didn't win a SB.
.....Pre-CAP, where opposition teams could stock up on talent. Go check the CAP% of SB winning QB's, unless you're the elite Mahomes/Brady then the expenditure on QB's hardly ever reaches over 10%.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Whether you are talking about bus drivers that won the SB or all time greats that failed to, both are what are called outliers. They do not disprove the general rule that you need elite QBs to win Super Bowls, and that your best chance of winning a Super Bowl is to acquire an elite QB in the 1st round.

To argue in favor of hoping for an outlier situation is to try and plan to win the lottery. Jerry has been trying since Aikman retired and not only has it not worked, the Cowboys haven't even been back to a conference title game.

Perhaps its time to stop trying to buck trends or reinvent the wheel. Perhaps we should just draft QBs in the first round until we find an elite one.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I do think the Cowboys need a big bodied lead running back like a Derrick Henry or AJ Dillon with Pollard the complimentary dynamic piece and a change of pace.
Amen brother I have just watched it too many times at this point.

Becoming one-dimensional at the end of the game and forcing dak to throw every play is just a recipe for disaster.

The defense pins their ears back and goes into seek and destroy mode and it is just too much for dak to handle no matter how much everybody says he gets paid his salary does not factor in at the end of these big games.
Other teams figure out what they need and how to get it I am just astonished that we continually fall a couple pieces short.

Especially when it's glaring as to what we need.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Despite the usual bile from some of the haters on this forum, Dak played awesome, he easily outplayed Hurts.

This one is on the o-line, particularly Steele, who is a revolving door if I've ever seen one.
Dak is Top 10 in almost every statistical category (Top 5 in some) even yards thrown if adjusted to 9 games. Haters gonna hate, and believe me when I say that while they may stop hating for a game if he got us a SB win, they'd be right back at it the next year. Of course, if we ever get that SB win with Dak, it won't be 'because of him'.

It's perfectly fine to have reasonable objections about any player, but I never read the true haters posts because they're on 'ignore', which coincidentally is a derivative of 'ignorant'.

Go Cowboys!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Amen brother I have just watched it too many times at this point.

Becoming one-dimensional at the end of the game and forcing dak to throw every play is just a recipe for disaster.

The defense pins their ears back and goes into seek and destroy mode and it is just too much for dak to handle no matter how much everybody says he gets paid his salary does not factor in at the end of these big games.
Other teams figure out what they need and how to get it I am just astonished that we continually fall a couple pieces short.

Especially when it's glaring as to what we need.
You are our leader. This was always going to be the watershed year, with the structure of Dak's contract combined with next seasons loss to free agency and aging O-Line.

I wonder if the 49ers capitulation unnerved the Jones' and have accepted that it's extremely unlikely that we go all the way with this team.

In relation to the thread, give Dak everything to succeed this season as next year (with rookie LT and Center, a HoF RG that's coming back to earth and questions at RT) it's going to get difficult.