Props to Jason Garrett, attaboy on Irving

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Yes it is his upbringing which encompasses all those complexities you mentioned.
And how do you know that? How do you know he didn't get introduced to marijuana while in college or when he first entered the league?
Upbringing would include exposure to marijuana in the home or through his childhood buddies.
Is there any evidence of this? if so, I'll certainly concede your point.

nobody

Reaction score
You are technically correct. And I do know the difference between federal and state law. It was the core reason the civil war was fought. Because the federal government, or "union" took away state rights. Of course there was the whole slavery thing, and that also had a lot to do with it, but at it's core it was about the union, or federal government, taking away state's rights.

But those rights were taken away by force, therefore people became entrenched in their views pitted against the union for generations. So, not everyone recognizes federal law. That was the point of my sentence that you highlighted.

As far as the NFL goes, you're right there too. It definitely cares about its image, which is why I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion about that. The polls in recent years say the people want to legalize marijuana nationally. So it would be doing a majority of fans a disservice by continuing with its antiquated policy.

The NHL never backed away from their leniency towards marijuana use, and it didn't seem to hinder their reputation. Now it's legal in Canada and the policy stays the same.

I think they were slated to review their drug policy this offseason. I hope they do the right thing. Then again, the right thing in my mind is for them to let the players play, and stop with the drug tests. I want huge mammoths on roid rages smashing the sense out of each other during 3.9 second 40 time collision. I want helmets to explode. I miss the good ol' days of drug and alcohol induced football with no repercussions. But I digress...

Whether someone recognizes a law or not doesn't make the law invalid. It's still the law of the land, right or wrong. The government can enforce it if desired. It just chooses not to (I think because the pendulum is swinging on opinion) and any enforcement would lead to a State vs Government Supreme Court case.

Paradox

Reaction score
Whether someone recognizes a law or not doesn't make the law invalid. It's still the law of the land, right or wrong. The government can enforce it if desired. It just chooses not to (I think because the pendulum is swinging on opinion) and any enforcement would lead to a State vs Government Supreme Court case.

There is more I have to say on this topic but I can't respond without bringing politics into it. So I'll let you have the last word or else the grumpy drill sergeant might beat me with the ban hammer lol, good talking with you DeathMonkey!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Thanks for your comment. And I know this is not your fight so I'm addressing this in general so ...
What are these MANY lists that include D.C. as a state? I used to live in D.C., grew up in Maryland. I have never heard it referred to in formal conversations as a state.
In fact, the push for a while has been to try to get D.C. designated as a state - see "Washington D.C. statehood movement."
And Puerto Rico is a territory not a state.
Well do a search on 52 states and read, that is what I did. lol
There are only 50 official states. I think a territory is a state with no representation in congress lol. The short end of the stick.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You are technically correct. And I do know the difference between federal and state law. It was the core reason the civil war was fought. Because the federal government, or "union" took away state rights. Of course there was the whole slavery thing, and that also had a lot to do with it, but at it's core it was about the union, or federal government, taking away state's rights.

But those rights were taken away by force, therefore people became entrenched in their views pitted against the union for generations. So, not everyone recognizes federal law. That was the point of my sentence that you highlighted.

As far as the NFL goes, you're right there too. It definitely cares about its image, which is why I have to respectfully disagree with your conclusion about that. The polls in recent years say the people want to legalize marijuana nationally. So it would be doing a majority of fans a disservice by continuing with its antiquated policy.

The NHL never backed away from their leniency towards marijuana use, and it didn't seem to hinder their reputation. Now it's legal in Canada and the policy stays the same.

I think they were slated to review their drug policy this offseason. I hope they do the right thing. Then again, the right thing in my mind is for them to let the players play, and stop with the drug tests. I want huge mammoths on roid rages smashing the sense out of each other during 3.9 second 40 time collision. I want helmets to explode. I miss the good ol' days of drug and alcohol induced football with no repercussions. But I digress...
The beer industry is the nfl's biggest sponser, the networks want their money, and the nfl wants the network money, so if the beer people
tell the networks or the nfl they want a hard policy on weed, what do you think the nfl will do ??
Weed would cut into beer profits if legal, and already is where it has been legalized, so they will continue to try and keep weed where it is now.

nobody

Reaction score
do a search on 52 states
I had heard some time back puerto rico was considered a state, didnt know about DC

Sorry man, but until Puerto Rico and DC have been formally inducted as U.S. States, there are only 50. The whole point of D.C. not being a state was it being a sort of neutral zone, left out of the inter-state infighting.

Paradox

Reaction score
The beer industry is the nfl's biggest sponser, the networks want their money, and the nfl wants the network money, so if the beer people
tell the networks or the nfl they want a hard policy on weed, what do you think the nfl will do ??
Weed would cut into beer profits if legal, and already is where it has been legalized, so they will continue to try and keep weed where it is now.

Did the beer companies do that? I wouldn't put it past them, but my initial thought is that weed and beer shouldn't really be competitors. People who like to go out and drink typically hang in different circles from the weed smokers in my experience. But if what you're saying is true, then may I suggest to the NFL to change sponsors and policies with haste. It took only 3 years for weed sales to outgrow beer sales in Aspen after it went recreational in Colorado. The NFL is losing out on a huge revenue stream.

nobody

Reaction score
Did the beer companies do that? I wouldn't put it past them, but my initial thought is that weed and beer shouldn't really be competitors. People who like to go out and drink typically hang in different circles from the weed smokers in my experience. But if what you're saying is true, then may I suggest to the NFL to change sponsors and policies with haste. It took only 3 years for weed sales to outgrow beer sales in Aspen after it went recreational in Colorado. The NFL is losing out on a huge revenue stream.

Imagine what they could charge a company for being the "Official Blunt of the NFL"

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Well it is the networks that make money off the beer companies like bud light.
And there are no big companies or empires selling weed.
If it is legal in aspen do they have tv commercials for weed? I doubt it.
It would be funny to see some weed brand name called blank "light" gets you high without the munchies!

See so weed isnt as big as the beer companies, who can pay big bucks to advertise in a football game.
So the nfl and the networks will do whatever to keep that beer ad money rolling in.

and what you said confirms that beer sales will drop wherever pot is legal . So they want to keep weed in a bad light, and keep it
illegal as long as possible.

Paradox

Reaction score
It would be funny to see some weed brand name called blank "light" gets you high without the munchies!

See so weed isnt as big as the beer companies, who can pay big bucks to advertise in a football game.
So the nfl and the networks will do whatever to keep that beer ad money rolling in.

and what you said confirms that beer sales will drop wherever pot is legal . So they want to keep weed in a bad light, and keep it

You are right, and that is the problem. There is no doubt there is big money involved. I didn't live in Aspen so I don't know offhand about their commercials. But in the early stages of legalization the federal government wasn't allowing them to advertise. I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about that as it gets a mite political. The point is, If they still don't allow those commercials, DeathMonkey was right that the NFL won't change its policy until they do.

Paradox

Reaction score

I found this very relevant article that can shed some light on this: https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/27/super-bowl-marijuana-commercial-banned/

Sounds like they are making progress towards advertising but it's not there yet.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well do a search on 52 states and read, that is what I did. lol
There are only 50 official states. I think a territory is a state with no representation in congress lol. The short end of the stick.
Doing a search is one thing. You can find anything on the Internet.
Providing a credible source that lists Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. as states among 52 states is another.
That's what I was asking. What credible, official lists, er, states that the two above are counted among the other states of our nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.