Purdy Has 2 NFCCGs in 2 Years

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That’s right….Mr Irrelevant.
It's been my feeling for *years* that there are capable QBs down the draft board that just don't get a chance because of the sunk cost of the draft picks used on earlier QBs.

Dak. Tony. Purdy. Brady. All those guys could have had nothing careers, getting bounced around the league as backups on bad teams that made them look like crap whenever they got the chance to play.

A team that figures out how to winnow the wheat from the chaff of cheap QBs will have themselves a nice SB run for a few years. We would have had a chance with Dak if we hadn't dug such a big dead cap overhang.

Now, SF gets their run with Purdy.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
I knew these threads were coming.

Look at how poorly Purdy played yesterday. He was lucky the Packers dropped at least 2 INTs and both could have been pick 6s. Dak critics would be pointing those plays out even if the Cowboys had won that game.

Purdy had a chance to bring that team back because his defense did not let the Packers score TDs on every drive. If the 49ers had the Cowboys defense from last Sunday, they would have lost by almost the same score as Dallas.

Dak is a better QB than Purdy. He has a better arm by far. Purdy has a better team and until the organization improve the offensive and defensive lines of the Cowboys Dak will never had a chance to drive for the winning TD is a playoff game.

Go back to the Miami game or Detroit. Dak did what Purdy did in both of those games. The difference is, the defense allowed the Dolphins and Lions to roll right back down the field and score. The Dolphins won the game. The Lions lost because they didn;t kick the extra point.

Football is a team game. No QB in the world wins on his own.
All of that is true. But, when the game was on the line and the lights were the brightest he performed and led them to victory. I don’t think our guy would do that. (Insert chocking emoji)

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Purdy has a better RB, defense and team. He only got sacked once. McCafferty averaged 5.8 a carry yesterday with 2 TDs. The 49ers defense held Love to under 200 yards passing and picked him off twice, the second one with the game on the line. Purdy would have had no chance with our lack of a running game and the trash defense with fielded against the Packers.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I once thought this would be Dak in 2-3 years with the way he jetted out of the gates his rookie year.
This is the problem with judging a QB without normalizing for the team around him.

If you want a QB to look fantastic, put the 2016 oline in front of him and 2016 Zeke behind him.

And the fact that he was a young QB who could run with a contract that let the team allow him to run were more of the stars aligning to make Dak look great.

I think this is the long time formula to work. Build the rest of the team, get QBs who can run on the cheap so that you *will* run them, getting that bonus production out of the position that you can't with a guy you have 100 mil of dead cap hanging over your head.

Gambit

Reaction score
That’s right….Mr Irrelevant. I said last year that he played better than Dak in every statistical category while facing a higher pressure rate and that we should take of it, and got absolutely crucified as a Dak hater. But here he is again, beating the team that ate our lunch and basking in football glory, probably going to a SB.

If you believe it’s not Purdy but his team, then we can’t keep Dak bc we need to build a team like that and can’t do that with Daks contract. If you believe Purdy is better than Dak than obviously you need to drop him and get more QBs, bc if Purdy is better, Dak ain’t top 10 anymore.

Either way, an organization that really wants to win stops chasing losses and makes the hard choice to look to the future instead of dragging this team to more years of underperforming
Curious, do any other 49ers have those too?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Purdy has a better RB, defense and team. He only got sacked once. McCafferty averaged 5.8 a carry yesterday with 2 TDs. The 49ers defense held Love to under 200 yards passing and picked him off twice, the second one with the game on the line. Purdy would have had no chance with our lack of a running game and the trash defense with fielded against the Packers.
Build a SB team around a cheap QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Build a SB team around a cheap QB.
That would lead to missing the playoffs every year. No cheap, average QB would have success with this team. :rolleyes: The Cowboys would be much worse off if some of you owned the team.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
This is the problem with judging a QB without normalizing for the team around him.

If you want a QB to look fantastic, put the 2016 oline in front of him and 2016 Zeke behind him.

And the fact that he was a young QB who could run with a contract that let the team allow him to run were more of the stars aligning to make Dak look great.

I think this is the long time formula to work. Build the rest of the team, get QBs who can run on the cheap so that you *will* run them, getting that bonus production out of the position that you can't with a guy you have 100 mil of dead cap hanging over your head.
I disagree, you want an All Pro QB and an All Pro surrounding crew. You're doomed for failure if you're trying to be cheap and strategically get it all in place due to the cap. Let the talent come, then worry about all that. Folks get too caught up in the chicken and the egg -- is it the QB first, or is it his Offensive line and RB first, or is it his WRs first. Team game, get everyone there.

Sure Zeke and that great Offensive Line masked a rookie, but he still balled his rookie year. I get what you're saying though that it can be deceptive and mask some of your issues. I think of guys like Shaun King who came out balling early as a 2nd round pick because he had that great Tampa Cover 2 and Alstott/Dunn as his RBs. Tampa still didn't trust him after making it to NFC Championship game and brought in Brad Johnson. But that's my best example I can think of and Dak still balled much better than King who finished with a 55% completion his first starting year.

Probably a little bit of both. We overrated Dak to begin with, and another victim of the Garrett coaching goons. And after listening to Aikman's show this week, I'm inclined to believe Dak did some of this to himself. He was better as a naive bright-eyed rookie who didn't know any better. Once he got caught up in Jerry Land hype, and legacy, he started pressing more each year. It all points up top. Jerry makes all those decisions - draft and next coaches.

Reaction score
The only hope here is get Dak to restructure his contract and take less or cut the bum. That's it. Stop overthrowing it just give it to him straight. He either wants to remain a Cowboy or he doesn't. Take the cap hit and move on the best you can.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I wonder why the good defense played to stop our run and make the choker beat us. And why do they play zone?
I didn't play high school football so help me.

200w.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That would lead to missing the playoffs every year. No cheap, average QB would have success with this team. :rolleyes: T
"with this team" is the wrong comparison, and that's the point.
You can have a better team around the QB when you're not spending 15-20% of the cap on the QB. You can also use the QB's legs because an injury to him doesn't destroy your cap situation.

Rayman70

Reaction score
lets all get ready for it. Mickey Spagnola and his ilk will gradually start saying what he always does...if so and so is so good, why are they available. Just wait. Thats his attempt to justify running it back and failing. If the last 30 years of begging for a SB run is we fans being selfish or entitled, I'll be danged, I guess this franchise is even more clueless and soulless than we could fathom. How dare they, the players on twitter and such even go there. We pay dearly to go to games, buy merch and support the team, and the least we can ask is at least a couple decent playoff runs. Apparently, its our fault as fans, if u listen to this bunch of cowardly players on social media. Im done with them. Time for new blood.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
exactly, which shows coaching matters alot. Can you imagine the Niners HC saying, "wow, I didnt see that coming? " or, "we picked a bad day for a bad day?" John Lynch would fire his arse if his coach came out after a spanking and said that mess. Because its an admission that you didn't plan ahead and properly get the team ready for any and all scenarios. Leave it to Jerry, he goes full bizzarro world again and runs it back. ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY, from the top down.
thats why jerry should have hired BB or Harbaugh, let one of them decided about who goes and who stays, who is qb, what to do with parsons,
who to pay or trade etc.
then next season we have a better team that wants to win in playoffs.

Jerry keeping mike over those 2 guys, is insane. So insanity rules in dallas, comfort is the main priority , not being tough and winning in post season.
Jerry likes mike because he is a good puppet, does as he is told, supports all jones boys decisions .

Hence more of the same is forthcoming.

I would love to see what BB could do with cowboys, one thing is they would be prepared, and have better game plans.
We would actually take out other teams best players, instead of letting them beat us lol.

Cowboys are a joke and will continue to be.

Rayman70

Reaction score
thats why jerry should have hired BB or Harbaugh, let one of them decided about who goes and who stays, who is qb, what to do with parsons,
who to pay or trade etc.
then next season we have a better team that wants to win in playoffs.

Jerry keeping mike over those 2 guys, is insane. So insanity rules in dallas, comfort is the main priority , not being tough and winning in post season.
Jerry likes mike because he is a good puppet, does as he is told, supports all jones boys decisions .

Hence more of the same is forthcoming.

I would love to see what BB could do with cowboys, one thing is they would be prepared, and have better game plans.
We would actually take out other teams best players, instead of letting them beat us lol.

Cowboys are a joke and will continue to be.
when Jerry passes gas, is inner circle of sycophants and enablers reaction is, thats great Jerry, thats real good...yeah yeah....THIS is just how nutty I imagine it is. We are a joke and dysfunction rules the day.