Q&A with Arizona CB Antoine Cason

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell;2036716 said:
Actually his reasoning was that the vast majority of scouts felt he was a solid second round guy.

He tends to believe pro scouts(including the Cowboys) more than he does you. Not exactly sure why that bothers you so much.

Seems he 'believes' the ones he wants to believe. I pointed out that Lindy's guide has Cason as their #2 cornerback.

jterrell said:
No one is suggesting Cason sucks and should not be drafted. What they are suggesting is to sit the pom-poms down and draft the best player for the Cowboys not the guy we personally "like" the most.

If Mike Jenkins and Antoine Cason are both sitting there at 22 and we take Cason I'd be terribly sad. One guy is more polished and the other is light years ahead in raw speed and athleticism.

So I guess you would have drafted Mike Mamula for the Eagles too, huh? I mean same line of thinking - great measurables and all.....

jterrell said:
And this college production stuff is just that. Stuff. It is nice but there are a lot of guys with great, even excellent, college production who do jack squat as a pro.

I knew a guy who watched a ton of film in college. He was am above average athlete. He left TT as the all time SWC interceptions leader.. a record he still holds to this day. But he was unable to make the Bears even with our former coach as the new DB coach there.

The NFL really is about physical freaks. They just assume guys will learn to watch film and grasp technique because they fill they can beat that into almost anyone.

And it's this line of thinking that gets more NFL teams in trouble than any other. "Forget about what the guy actually did, look at how well he runs in shorts!"

Sorry, I'll take a guy who works hard and produces now over someone who runs faster in shorts.

jterrell said:
I guarantee you we aren't trading for Pacman because he has great professionalism.

No, they're trading for Pacman because they hope to get him cheap because of his off the field stuff. Different story completely.

Az Lurker

The Lurker
Reaction score
I've been scratching my head for months now why Cason isn't getting more respect and love from the draft experts and people on this board. I always felt it was maybe because he played for U of A (and we're just not very good since Tomey left), but the fact that small school guys are getting more press just confuses me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mr. (not Jerry) Jones;2036876 said:
I've been scratching my head for months now why Cason isn't getting more respect and love from the draft experts and people on this board. I always felt it was maybe because he played for U of A (and we're just not very good since Tomey left), but the fact that small school guys are getting more press just confuses me.

You're sure not alone.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2036293 said:
I think the kid is going to be a solid corner for someone. He doesn't have say, "Newman" type of athletic ability but he seems fundamentally sound.

I wouldn't want to spend a 1st round selection on him, but definitely would like him some place in the second round.

I don't like him in the first but I don't see him being available with our current second round pick. He may still come as I see us moving out of the first round with at least one pick. If we trade with a team in the top of the second then I see that as about the right place for him.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jobberone;2036883 said:
I don't like him in the first but I don't see him being available with our current second round pick. He may still come as I see us moving out of the first round with at least one pick. If we trade with a team in the top of the second then I see that as about the right place for him.

I agree with that take Jobber...

I don't think he'll be there at 61 either. But if we traded our 28th selection for a an early 2nd rounder, I'd consider taking the kid.

But all of this might be mute if we trade for Pacman. If that trade goes through I don't expect the Cowboys to take a CB until later in the draft.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hostile;2036824 said:
I don't. I've only compared him to Chris McAllister and I think he's better than Chris at the same stage of their lives.

You can't compare their level of competition to his either while you're at it.
I guess he could.

~shrug~

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Checking in with Top Dallas CB Target
514821.jpg

Some people want to doubt this top cover corner, but that's just fine with him. It just adds fuel to his fire to prove to everyone that he is the best. Learn more about the top cornerback in this year's draft class and the teams interested in his services in this interview with The Ranch Report.

Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason is considered to be the top cornerback in the nation by many analysts. And he's even got the hardware to prove it.
After deciding to return to Arizona for his senior year, Cason earned the Jim Thorpe Award, presented to the top defensive back in the country. The 6-foot tall, 191-pound defender made his case by grabbing five interceptions and returning two of them for touchdowns in 2007. He also made 71 tackles, including 57 solo shots, four tackles for a loss, one sack, defended 14 passes, forced two fumbles and even averaged 10-yards per return while fielding punts.
As a result of his outstanding work, Cason also became the first Arizona player to win All-Pac-10 honors on both defense and special teams in the same season.

Amazingly, though, the shutdown cornerback still has some doubters somewhere out there among the crowd of fans, media and draft prognosticators.
Go figure.
Undeterred by the rumblings, Cason proceeded to reaffirm his claim to the top spot at his position in this year's draft class with a 4.45-second 40-time at the Combine, quieting some rumors that he couldn't run that fast.
At the combine, the Dallas Cowboys were one of a handful to teams to formally interview the Pac 10 standout. Still needing help in the secondary having not addressed the need in free agency, the Cowboys could easily look in Cason's direction in the first round.

Ed Thompson spoke to the talented and confident cornerback a few days before his school's pro day about his accomplishments, his Combine experience, and how he's handled the unwarranted criticism after such an impressive college career.
Talk a bit about winning the Jim Thorpe Award after returning to school for your senior season...
Antoine Cason: It was a longtime goal of mine to win the Jim Thorpe Award, honoring the best defensive back in the nation. Over the past four years I feel I've consistently made plays and gotten better through hard work, listening to coaches, being coachable, and my leadership attributes. So after my junior year, when I came back, that was one of my goals — to be the best. I knew it wasn't guaranteed, but through hard work it could be attainable for me. It was an honor winning it and I feel like I deserved it because of how I played and the confidence I had in playing the game.
528449.jpg

Antoine Cason reacts after making a big play.
Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
A lot of people want to be the best, but they don't have the determination and focus to make it happen. Where does your dedication to that goal come from?
Cason: I'm a self-motivator, it just seemed to come natural to me. As a younger kid I was always competitive with my family. We have a family of about 22 cousins and a lot of them are boys and we always played football. I always wanted my team to win. Just being a competitor and a winner, I just don't like losing. A lot of people said I couldn't do it, and I knew I could, so I went out there and did it.
Have you had any contact with last year's Jim Thorpe winner, Aaron Ross, who was a first-round pick by the Giants last year?
Cason: Yes, I did. When I went to the Jim Thorpe presentation banquet, they have a separate banquet for the winner and past winners and some of the high school All-State guys. And Ross and Michael Huff came back. It was great to see those guys, past winners, they had good advice on going into the NFL. It helped me a lot talking to him and just seeing how he handled himself. It was great.
What was the most valuable piece of advice he passed on to you?
Cason: Hard work pays off. Every week it's someone good. Sometimes in college you get a receiver who you say "oh, I could take him a little lighter than the next one." But the way Aaron Ross said it to me — he played at Texas — he said it's like playing Oklahoma every week. Just take care of your body, work hard, and be on time.
You and a friend raised over $7,000 for cancer research. Tell me more about that experience and what motivated you to do that.
Cason: Matt Brooks did a lot of work, and we did a lot of work together. I can't thank him enough for all we've accomplished. Community service was always something I wanted to get into because, when I was a kid, I always knew how it felt to look up to the college players and I could see it was that way with the kids in Tuscon. So just giving back made me feel that much better about who I was around Tuscon, not just an athlete, but as a person who cared about the young guys or girls who wanted to be whatever they wanted to be. And I hope I inspired them.
You've started every game of your college career. Was it intimidating for you at all when you started as a freshman?
Cason: I was totally excited about it. I wasn't intimidated at all. When I was senior in high school and we would go to college games, my father always said, "You can start in this league, you can play in this league." At that time I probably couldn't have as a high school senior. But having that confidence, hearing him say that, I believed it. So coming into college, I believed it and went out and worked for it. It didn't come easy, but when it happened I was just excited and ready to play.
You had 15 career interceptions. What do you think is your secret to success in that area?
Cason: The way I prepare hard every week — week in and week out — a positive attitude towards the game, paying attention to my coaches, and my teammates. In the secondary, helping other guys communicate can help your secondary be on the same page. The other corners played well and I give them a lot credit. With them playing well it helps me, of course.
528450.jpg

Cason on the move following an interception against California in 2006.
AP Photo/ Wily Low
You have a nice knack for your timing your leaps and you have great hands. Did you ever think about playing wide receiver? Or have you always wanted to be on defense?
Cason: I love defense. When I was a little younger in high school, I went to some camps — and even before high school, I had guys asking if I wanted to be a receiver because they thought I could play it. I like the position, but I always wanted to play corner, defense was my thing.
I think you have one of the most unusual situations I've encountered out of the members of this draft class because despite the career you've had and the numbers you've posted, it seems like some people still doubt you. What's that do to you mentally?
Cason: It definitely toughens me up. I was told a lot of times — even before the Combine — after the season students and family would come to me and tell me that there were things online saying I was going to have a horrible Combine. I didn't understand it, but it was just fuel to my fire once again. I feel I have to prove myself every time I go out, so that's what I go out and do. It's always crazy to hear those things. I don't really look for it, but when I hear it, it's more fire.
Was your Combine experience pretty much what you expected it to be?
Cason: No, definitely not. I didn't really go in with expectations because I didn't want to be let down or caught off guard. I decided I was going to be myself and do the things I was taught to do. It was a great experience seeing all of those guys in one place and all the teams and coaches you grew up watching on the sidelines, and you're getting interviewed by them. It felt really good. I was humbled by the experience.
Which of the coaches you met really boggled your mind as you sat there talking to them?
Cason: Andy Reid, my brother's a big fan of him. John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crenel — all of those guys. It was crazy to see those guys in a room talking to you. I even saw Mean Joe Greene in there. It was just a great experience.
Were there any events you wish you could have done better? And were there any that you were surprised by?
Cason: Definitely not. I went in there with high hopes, high expectations of myself because I didn't expect anything less. I feel that's the confidence level you have to have as a cornerback and as a football player. I went in there and set goals for myself and I feel good about what I obtained there.
What would people be surprised to learn about you as a person?
Cason: They would be surprised to know that I'm a humble guy. I'm just laid-back, relaxed and whoever I come across, I'm willing to just talk to them and not be a guy that's ahead of myself.
What are you most proud of from your collegiate career?
Cason: I'm most proud of being around the guys, my teammates and being one of the leaders on that team. I feel that the guys that came in helped turn the program around from where it was, even though sometimes the record doesn't show it. The guys have a lot more camaraderie about them now. And

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I wonder if he is related to Aveion Cason...hehehehe

I want Cason even more than I did already. This guy is the real deal Holyfield.

I am still pissed that we missed out on Aaron Ross last year, thanks to the Giants.....but if he can get past Houston, we can get Antoine Cason this year.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2036999 said:
Checking in with Top Dallas CB Target
514821.jpg

Some people want to doubt this top cover corner, but that's just fine with him. It just adds fuel to his fire to prove to everyone that he is the best. Learn more about the top cornerback in this year's draft class and the teams interested in his services in this interview with The Ranch Report.

Arizona cornerback Antoine Cason is considered to be the top cornerback in the nation by many analysts. And he's even got the hardware to prove it.
After deciding to return to Arizona for his senior year, Cason earned the Jim Thorpe Award, presented to the top defensive back in the country. The 6-foot tall, 191-pound defender made his case by grabbing five interceptions and returning two of them for touchdowns in 2007. He also made 71 tackles, including 57 solo shots, four tackles for a loss, one sack, defended 14 passes, forced two fumbles and even averaged 10-yards per return while fielding punts.
As a result of his outstanding work, Cason also became the first Arizona player to win All-Pac-10 honors on both defense and special teams in the same season.

Amazingly, though, the shutdown cornerback still has some doubters somewhere out there among the crowd of fans, media and draft prognosticators.
Go figure.
Undeterred by the rumblings, Cason proceeded to reaffirm his claim to the top spot at his position in this year's draft class with a 4.45-second 40-time at the Combine, quieting some rumors that he couldn't run that fast.
At the combine, the Dallas Cowboys were one of a handful to teams to formally interview the Pac 10 standout. Still needing help in the secondary having not addressed the need in free agency, the Cowboys could easily look in Cason's direction in the first round.

Ed Thompson spoke to the talented and confident cornerback a few days before his school's pro day about his accomplishments, his Combine experience, and how he's handled the unwarranted criticism after such an impressive college career.
Talk a bit about winning the Jim Thorpe Award after returning to school for your senior season...
Antoine Cason: It was a longtime goal of mine to win the Jim Thorpe Award, honoring the best defensive back in the nation. Over the past four years I feel I've consistently made plays and gotten better through hard work, listening to coaches, being coachable, and my leadership attributes. So after my junior year, when I came back, that was one of my goals — to be the best. I knew it wasn't guaranteed, but through hard work it could be attainable for me. It was an honor winning it and I feel like I deserved it because of how I played and the confidence I had in playing the game.
528449.jpg

Antoine Cason reacts after making a big play.
Lisa Blumenfeld/Getty Images
A lot of people want to be the best, but they don't have the determination and focus to make it happen. Where does your dedication to that goal come from?
Cason: I'm a self-motivator, it just seemed to come natural to me. As a younger kid I was always competitive with my family. We have a family of about 22 cousins and a lot of them are boys and we always played football. I always wanted my team to win. Just being a competitor and a winner, I just don't like losing. A lot of people said I couldn't do it, and I knew I could, so I went out there and did it.
Have you had any contact with last year's Jim Thorpe winner, Aaron Ross, who was a first-round pick by the Giants last year?
Cason: Yes, I did. When I went to the Jim Thorpe presentation banquet, they have a separate banquet for the winner and past winners and some of the high school All-State guys. And Ross and Michael Huff came back. It was great to see those guys, past winners, they had good advice on going into the NFL. It helped me a lot talking to him and just seeing how he handled himself. It was great.
What was the most valuable piece of advice he passed on to you?
Cason: Hard work pays off. Every week it's someone good. Sometimes in college you get a receiver who you say "oh, I could take him a little lighter than the next one." But the way Aaron Ross said it to me — he played at Texas — he said it's like playing Oklahoma every week. Just take care of your body, work hard, and be on time.
You and a friend raised over $7,000 for cancer research. Tell me more about that experience and what motivated you to do that.
Cason: Matt Brooks did a lot of work, and we did a lot of work together. I can't thank him enough for all we've accomplished. Community service was always something I wanted to get into because, when I was a kid, I always knew how it felt to look up to the college players and I could see it was that way with the kids in Tuscon. So just giving back made me feel that much better about who I was around Tuscon, not just an athlete, but as a person who cared about the young guys or girls who wanted to be whatever they wanted to be. And I hope I inspired them.
You've started every game of your college career. Was it intimidating for you at all when you started as a freshman?
Cason: I was totally excited about it. I wasn't intimidated at all. When I was senior in high school and we would go to college games, my father always said, "You can start in this league, you can play in this league." At that time I probably couldn't have as a high school senior. But having that confidence, hearing him say that, I believed it. So coming into college, I believed it and went out and worked for it. It didn't come easy, but when it happened I was just excited and ready to play.
You had 15 career interceptions. What do you think is your secret to success in that area?
Cason: The way I prepare hard every week — week in and week out — a positive attitude towards the game, paying attention to my coaches, and my teammates. In the secondary, helping other guys communicate can help your secondary be on the same page. The other corners played well and I give them a lot credit. With them playing well it helps me, of course.
528450.jpg

Cason on the move following an interception against California in 2006.
AP Photo/ Wily Low
You have a nice knack for your timing your leaps and you have great hands. Did you ever think about playing wide receiver? Or have you always wanted to be on defense?
Cason: I love defense. When I was a little younger in high school, I went to some camps — and even before high school, I had guys asking if I wanted to be a receiver because they thought I could play it. I like the position, but I always wanted to play corner, defense was my thing.
I think you have one of the most unusual situations I've encountered out of the members of this draft class because despite the career you've had and the numbers you've posted, it seems like some people still doubt you. What's that do to you mentally?
Cason: It definitely toughens me up. I was told a lot of times — even before the Combine — after the season students and family would come to me and tell me that there were things online saying I was going to have a horrible Combine. I didn't understand it, but it was just fuel to my fire once again. I feel I have to prove myself every time I go out, so that's what I go out and do. It's always crazy to hear those things. I don't really look for it, but when I hear it, it's more fire.
Was your Combine experience pretty much what you expected it to be?
Cason: No, definitely not. I didn't really go in with expectations because I didn't want to be let down or caught off guard. I decided I was going to be myself and do the things I was taught to do. It was a great experience seeing all of those guys in one place and all the teams and coaches you grew up watching on the sidelines, and you're getting interviewed by them. It felt really good. I was humbled by the experience.
Which of the coaches you met really boggled your mind as you sat there talking to them?
Cason: Andy Reid, my brother's a big fan of him. John Fox, Marvin Lewis, Romeo Crenel — all of those guys. It was crazy to see those guys in a room talking to you. I even saw Mean Joe Greene in there. It was just a great experience.
Were there any events you wish you could have done better? And were there any that you were surprised by?
Cason: Definitely not. I went in there with high hopes, high expectations of myself because I didn't expect anything less. I feel that's the confidence level you have to have as a cornerback and as a football player. I went in there and set goals for myself and I feel good about what I obtained there.
What would people be surprised to learn about you as a person?
Cason: They would be surprised to know that I'm a humble guy. I'm just laid-back, relaxed and whoever I come across, I'm willing to just talk to them and not be a guy that's ahead of myself.
What are you most proud of from your collegiate career?
Cason: I'm most proud of being around the guys, my teammates and being one of the leaders on that team. I feel that the guys that came in helped turn the program around from where it was, even though sometimes the record doesn't show it. The guys have a lot more camaraderie about them now. And
Oh man, that was a great read.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Biggems;2037027 said:

I am still pissed that we missed out on Aaron Ross last year, thanks to the Giants.....but if he can get past Houston, we can get Antoine Cason this year.
That is his cousin and so is Ken Yon Rambo.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
theogt;2036736 said:
Antoine Cason:
40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.51
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'08"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.08
3-Cone Drill: 7.07

The red portions are where Cason has a BETTER OR EQUAL metric.

Light years? Really? Light years?

These are very, very strong points to support your argument. He shows he can change direction better than Jenkins and has much better burst. Both of which I think are better ways to judge a corner than speed.

Reaction score
Biggems;2037027 said:

Aaron Ross= OVER.......RATED!!!!! Line him up against a healthy TO one on one like the Giants did with Madison and Mcquarters. You will get the same results with slightly more success for Ross. Nothing major

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2037050 said:
Aaron Ross= OVER.......RATED!!!!! Line him up against a healthy TO one on one like the Giants did with Madison and Mcquarters. You will get the same results with slightly more success for Ross. Nothing major

Ross actually showed up near the end of the season. And he was also the only person I've seen figure out how to tackle Barber without getting blown back.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2037050 said:

Ross had a solid rookie year....he had some low points, mostly the minor injuries.....but he also did a very good job in coverage, got some INTs...even found the end zone.

Ross is only going to get better.....bash him all you want, but he is a player we are going to have to deal with for a very long time.

And your Mr. Overrated was a vital part of the defense that completely shut down one of the most lethal and prolific offenses in NFL history.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2037066 said:
Biggems is just a big UT homer. ;)

yes I am, but you dont see me tootin Quentin Jammer's horn all the time.....i feel he has underachieved for most of his career....though he did have a very nice year last year.

But Ross was my favorite player in the draft last year...and I feel he had a very nice year.

Reaction score
Biggems;2037061 said:
Ross had a solid rookie year....he had some low points, mostly the minor injuries.....but he also did a very good job in coverage, got some INTs...even found the end zone.

Ross is only going to get better.....bash him all you want, but he is a player we are going to have to deal with for a very long time.

And your Mr. Overrated was a vital part of the defense that completely shut down one of the most lethal and prolific offenses in NFL history.

I never said he sucked, i said hes OVERRATED. I've heard alot of people hyping him up just because the Giants won the Super Bowl when he wasn't even the best corner in the draft. Revis played way better all year than Ross but Revis wasn't on the Super Bowl champion. Ross will get better, but i don't know about having to "deal" with him for a very long time. He is not the type of corner who will battle with top tier wideouts and come out on top very frequently imo.

He can guard the Patrick Craytons of the world and have tons of success. Put him against the TO's and Chad Johnsons of the world? Texas we have a problem!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2037084 said:
I never said he sucked, i said hes OVERRATED. I've heard alot of people hyping him up just because the Giants won the Super Bowl when he wasn't even the best corner in the draft. Revis played way better all year than Ross but Revis wasn't on the Super Bowl champion. Ross will get better, but i don't know about having to "deal" with him for a very long time. He is not the type of corner who will battle with top tier wideouts and come out on top very frequently imo.

He can guard the Patrick Craytons of the world and have tons of success. Put him against the TO's and Chad Johnsons of the world? Texas we have a problem!

You make it sound like there are a bunch of corners that can shut down T.O. and Chad Johnson type receivers. Saying you've had "some success" against elite receivers in today's NFL is not a bad thing at all.

I'm not sure who's been hyping Ross to you, I've barely heard a thing about him. He was the 3rd CB taken and wound up starting on the team that won the superbowl, so I'm pretty sure it's understandable he gets what little press he does. No one is saying he's the 2nd coming of Champ.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;2036824 said:
I don't. I've only compared him to Chris McAllister and I think he's better than Chris at the same stage of their lives.

serious question here...McAllister was universally regarded as a top-10/12 pick the yr he came out and went ended up going 10th overall...if Cason is as good or better than him, why is that alot of people dont even feel like he's a first rd pick, let alone a top-10 talent?

This is not bashing, its a serious question. Is there something that some of us havent heard perhaps thats effecting his dradt status? By all accounts he is a good kid, so I doubt there's some skeletons in his closet in terms of that...and he won some hardware as a senior, so its not like he is under the radar or something either. And its not like there are 4 or 5 Deion Sanders calibar CB's who are rated ahead of him...

Like I said, serious question.

David