QB Options without Dak in 2025

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So, given all that, why hate on him? He should be an irrelevance, instead certain fans have to get all Pet Cat over the 4th Rd pick.

Unless Dak plays as he did in the first half of the GB game Jerry's not letting him go. If Dak does replicate that the GB game, Lance gets a chance to play for a 2025 contract. He probably isnt expected to play like a MVP and certainly not expected to play to a level that gets him a mega contract, but he will get familiarity with the Offense and the FO will be able to evaluate and plan ahead.

Lance is in effect a 4thRd Pick, that in 2025 may well get less than a quarter of what Dak will potentially get.
whose pet cat? why is everyone gaga over some irrelevant QB? oh, wait yeah. they hate Dak, so they just cling to anything and click their heels three times wishing they were back in kansas. open your eye dorothy!

and are you sure Jerry is going to get lance opportunity to play for a new contract? seriously? are we in Jr. leagues type of argument now!?

lance is at best an average QB. he has shown zero elite traits. yet here we are. bunch of folks complaining about an average QB, yet want to replace him with another one!!! seriously wth!?

Flamma

Reaction score
ding ding ding! this man sees it, This FO has created a horrible QB/Contract situation where there is no way they dont pay...thats what everyone should be yelling about. Dak leaves we get nothing but a cap hit, Trey shines we have to pay him top dollar for one good year WHILE paying Dak's cap hit..its a textbook 3 stooges movie..
That's only if Trey is good. If Trey stinks in 2025, we have a high draft pick in 2026, and no Dak dead cap. Even if Trey is still with the team, he's not making big money in 2025.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I'd add Jalen Hurts to that list.

The Eagles aren't like the Cowboys. If their season this year continues on like it ended last year, they won't twiddle their thumbs and waste a decade on a guy just to be good enough to make money like we do. If they determine Hurts peaked already, and is in a slow steady decline like Dak has been since his first 2 years, they'll ditch his tail and and and find someone they think can win another championship.

But they'll sell Hurts high...while he still has the stink of an MVP caliber season on him. They'll fleece some newb GM, or some senile old self urinating GM. Which is where WE come in. I hate to think what their GM would do to Jerruh and his idiot son Fredo in a mega trade, but visions of the movie Deliverence pop into my head

"SQUEEL BOY, SQUEEL! WEEEEEEEEER WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Flamma

Reaction score
If they do move on from Dak, they should go with Lance in 2025. Even if he's terrible. Otherwise we're just going to keep picking middle of the pack or late in the first round. Maybe the 2026 draft will have some really good QBs in there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
whose pet cat? why is everyone gaga over some irrelevant QB? oh, wait yeah. they hate Dak, so they just cling to anything and click their heels three times wishing they were back in kansas. open your eye dorothy!

and are you sure Jerry is going to get lance opportunity to play for a new contract? seriously? are we in Jr. leagues type of argument now!?

lance is at best an average QB. he has shown zero elite traits. yet here we are. bunch of folks complaining about an average QB, yet want to replace him with another one!!! seriously wth!?
Come on Toto, ill walk you through it. Lance is pretty much an irrelevance, so why do the Give Dak What he Wants fanbase feel the necessity to call Lance names. Well it's the same principal as the deflecting of proportionate blame for a player who handles the ball and dictates all offensive plays......they see any comments about Lance as an attack on their Pet Cat....Dak.

Lance was never more than a back-up should Dak miss multiple games. However, Dak's personal performance in the 1st half vrs GB, may see Lance as a cheaper (lesser) alternative in 2025 (with CAP resources transferred to the Defense).

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'd add Jalen Hurts to that list.

The Eagles aren't like the Cowboys. If their season this year continues on like it ended last year, they won't twiddle their thumbs and waste a decade on a guy just to be good enough to make money like we do. If they determine Hurts peaked already, and is in a slow steady decline like Dak has been since his first 2 years, they'll ditch his tail and and and find someone they think can win another championship.

But they'll sell Hurts high...while he still has the stink of an MVP caliber season on him. They'll fleece some newb GM, or some senile old self urinating GM. Which is where WE come in. I hate to think what their GM would do to Jerruh and his idiot son Fredo in a mega trade, but visions of the movie Deliverence pop into my head

"SQUEEL BOY, SQUEEL! WEEEEEEEEER WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"
Hurts has a “no trade clause” in his contract. In return for that the Eagles can escape their contract with him after the 2025 season. But the cap hit will be significant. That’s the actual game in today’s NFL. At least they built in a chance to get away. They may walk away, but it won’t be comfortable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team - as it’s currently constructed - does not have the roster strength for any QB to win a SB with. We could bring in Mahomes with this roster and it wouldn’t win more than a wild card game. This roster is barely playoff worthy and no QB alone can carry it that far.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team - as it’s currently constructed - does not have the roster strength for any QB to win a SB with. We could bring in Mahomes with this roster and it wouldn’t win more than a wild card game. This roster is barely playoff worthy and no QB alone can carry it that far.
I still remember watching three John Elway-led Denver Broncos teams reach the Super Bowl early in the first half of his Hall of Fame career--although the 1987 season should be noted as an NFL strike year. If those teams do not emphasize how football is a team sport and the necessity of a fully rounded and capable roster (plus coaching), nothing does.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this .......I honestly believe THIS is a short-term answer until they find his replacement.
My List
  • Stafford..maybe
  • Cousins..........strong
  • Derrek Carr...strong
  • Justin Fields....interesting
  • Russell Wilson....strong
  • Geno Smith......dark horse
The evermore reason why we probably should retain Dak until we have drafted his heir apparent. Assuming we can still get a deal done . These other QB options aren’t arguably any better solution long term.

Although for me Fields is most interesting because of his youth. Until the Bears had the opportunity to draft 1st overall they were thinking he was their future.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea, as it was last year, probably not. But if we had Mahomes and we also upgraded DT and middle of defense specifically I could see us with potential for deeper push.

What Mahomes presents alone is the fact you’re never out of the game . And always have a shot. Kinda like the Staubach days.

Over the last 3 years while this roster has had some weaknesses it certainly could have been more interesting with Mahomes or a couple other of the Elite QB’s.

We can never under estimate how critical these top QB’s not only elevate their teams roster but provide them the opportunities for deeper runs.

Unfortunately there’s usually only a handful or less of teams with one at any given time. The rest of the league have to make do without.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I still remember watching three John Elway-led Denver Broncos teams reach the Super Bowl early in the first half of his Hall of Fame career--although the 1987 season should be noted as an NFL strike year. If those teams do not emphasize how football is a team sport and the necessity of a fully rounded and capable roster (plus coaching), nothing does.
Right, and if we go back to our glorious Staubach era he didn’t always have a SB caliber team to advance to SB or championship appearances . 1975 a great example .

And sometimes you’re simply beat by better teams or performances which I’d argue was the case in both recent playoff losses to SF.

Elway is a great example . There are others like Marino, Tarkenton, Kelley& Fouts to name a few who took their teams to SB’s and Champ game appearances.

I’d certainly like this teams chance to advance beyond the divisional rounds with any of those HOF caliber QB’s. And why we can never discount the importance of having that level of QB.

Thats not a bash on Dak as he’s certainly been good enough for this level of success but without a greater team overall it’s not likely for more success, which is pretty much true for the rest of the league without a HOF caliber QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Come on Toto, ill walk you through it. Lance is pretty much an irrelevance, so why do the Give Dak What he Wants fanbase feel the necessity to call Lance names. Well it's the same principal as the deflecting of proportionate blame for a player who handles the ball and dictates all offensive plays......they see any comments about Lance as an attack on their Pet Cat....Dak.

Lance was never more than a back-up should Dak miss multiple games. However, Dak's personal performance in the 1st half vrs GB, may see Lance as a cheaper (lesser) alternative in 2025 (with CAP resources transferred to the Defense).
who calls out Lance's name and irrelevant QB, except. there is a group, Daksessed group, keep brining him up as their saviour and hope. my response, stop it. he is not. there are plenty of comments defending Lance and his abysmal performances. he was injured. he has only 5 games. he didn't get a fair chance, blah blah blah

now, you jump in the middle and act similarly apprantley with Dak on your mind, any criticism of any other QB, you take it as somebody supporting Dak.....WTH.... and then call out people who don't agree with you.
what is with you Daksessed people. if anyone doesn't 24x7 just poop on Dak, then they must be a dak supporter!!! if they don't have saliva running down the side of their face about Lance, they must be a Dak supporter.
everything for you starts and ends with Dak. he is on your mind 24x7x60x60.

its not a healthy obsession.

basel90

Reaction score

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right, and if we go back to our glorious Staubach era he didn’t always have a SB caliber team to advance to SB or championship appearances . 1975 a great example .

And sometimes you’re simply beat by better teams or performances which I’d argue was the case in both recent playoff losses to SF.

Elway is a great example . There are others like Marino, Tarkenton, Kelley& Fouts to name a few who took their teams to SB’s and Champ game appearances.

I’d certainly like this teams chance to advance beyond the divisional rounds with any of those HOF caliber QB’s. And why we can never discount the importance of having that level of QB.

Thats not a bash on Dak as he’s certainly been good enough for this level of success but without a greater team overall it’s not likely for more success, which is pretty much true for the rest of the league without a HOF caliber QB.
I hear ya Greggo about having a HOF QB. But the ravens won 2 SBs this century with guys who will never make the HOF. And only one of those 2 SB winners had a great D - the 2000 team. The 2012 team had a decent defense but they just played well when it mattered most.

Might even argue the giants won 2 SBs without a HOF QB in Eli Manning. Although I think Eli will be a HOFer just based on his SB performances. But those giants teams both had great defenses.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys FO should have the guts to draft a QB early in the 2025 draft, if Trey Lance fails to impress in TC and the preseason. Even if he does manage to look good, they should probably draft one early in that draft, anyway. It's far too important an issue to fool around with, indefinitely.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys FO should have the guts to draft a QB early in the 2025 draft, if Trey Lance fails to impress in TC and the preseason. Even if he does manage to look good, they should probably draft one early in that draft, anyway. It's far too important an issue to fool around with, indefinitely.
1st pick in 2025 is gonna be RB1.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Maybe Lance will break his leg again?

That's the only way he fails.

The kid is a phenom.

And he works.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear ya Greggo about having a HOF QB. But the ravens won 2 SBs this century with guys who will never make the HOF. And only one of those 2 SB winners had a great D - the 2000 team. The 2012 team had a decent defense but they just played well when it mattered most.

Might even argue the giants won 2 SBs without a HOF QB in Eli Manning. Although I think Eli will be a HOFer just based on his SB performances. But those giants teams both had great defenses.
Of course Bob, but that’s the exception not the rule.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have talent we could trade to move up in the draft.

Let’s just hope we don’t draft a Manziel or Lynch, a couple first rounders were looking at this era.

There’s never a guarantee drafting early in 1st round but it’s definitely the place to take a risk and why franchises continue giving up if necessary so much capital for that opportunity as it makes it much easier building around a great QB versus a good QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This year would have been the year to trade up in the 1st round with so many QB’s ( 5 wasn’t it ?) .

And then this definitely is Prescotts last season. Who knows, maybe he would have even agreed to a trade.

It’s why everything IMO still points towards our ownerships intention to resign him regardless if they get it done or not.