QB Options without Dak in 2025

DuncanIso

Reaction score
And that verifies what I'm saying, here. Your opinion of him is less than respectful, for one whom he has disappointed. It happens, doesn't it. We are all seeing how Jerry has changed his treatment of Dak lately. It's a reaction to disappointment that openly displays dissatisfaction.
Don’t worry about the #LanceHate

It’s very important for the team that Lance succeeds at taking the QB1 job.

It would be ideal for Lance to have starts in 2024.

But 2025 is the target, as the Dak mess will be resolving itself soon.

Lance will be getting a new contract.

We had an excellent 2024 draft.

The 2025 draft has to hit also. We need RB1.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

It’s important to the team that Lance succeeds at quarterback so the team is going to give playing time to a quarterback they don’t want to re-sign and delay the development of the quarterback they’re going to re-sign. And this team somehow knows they had an excellent 2024 draft although training camp has not even started. It all makes perfect sense.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Right but you don't do that in 2024 with Prescott's cap hit you need to see if you can't finally get to an NFC championship game this year before you let Prescott walk and then yes if Lance does get a shot it would be for 2025 and you're right in 2026 we'd be picking in the top five... The problem is there aren't a lot of great prospects coming down the Pike the next two years even in the draft as we're discussing in another thread it is very bad time to try to replace your franchise quarterback and I believe the powers that be are probably going to see the writing on the wall and it already might happen right before training camp breaks for the regular season but Prescott's probably getting signed first then lamb if not this team will be blown up but in my opinion I think they know there are no game changing quarterbacks coming available that are better than Prescott in work trading draft picks for giving big money to just nothing it's going to be better than what Prescott can do in my opinion Prescott needs to be resigned...
The only way Lance see's any playing time is if Dak is out because of injury or some other unforeseen circumstance. Dak is still #1 and you have to play him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Dak is starting this year. What I am about to say is going to sound like I'm an idiot. I don't believe it myself, I'm just throwing it out there.

Maybe Jerry is waiting to see how Lance does in Preseason before paying Dak. Jerry didn't cave in to Emmitt, until he had to. He didn't want to make the same mistake again, so he caved to Elliott. Jerry made a ton of horrible moves when he was active in FA and trades. Now he no longer does it.

Dak impressed a lot of people in preseason before Romo got hurt. Then became the starter. He seems to react to past success or failure.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Please not another old fart. Draft and see how it goes. In the meantime go with Lance or in case he's a total bust bring Coop in. He's proven he can win. Don't care about a below 500 season or two if that means we're truly rebuilding the team.

It's not that hard. Jerry's just afraid of being not as relevant for a season or two.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The only way Lance see's any playing time is if Dak is out because of injury or some other unforeseen circumstance. Dak is still #1 and you have to play him.
I'm talking about 2025 dude..

I mean we already know how 2024 is set I expect good things from the Cowboys I don't know about great but we're discussing 2025 in this thread and I'm talking about if Prescott's not here I'm not making crazy moves to get a quarterback... That is the subject quarterback options for 2025...

I'm going to let Trey Lance sink his own ship and get us a great draft pick or step up and at least maybe look like he can grow into something. Maybe he's a late bloomer that can be Geno Smith as his ceiling...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is starting this year. What I am about to say is going to sound like I'm an idiot. I don't believe it myself, I'm just throwing it out there.

Maybe Jerry is waiting to see how Lance does in Preseason before paying Dak. Jerry didn't cave in to Emmitt, until he had to. He didn't want to make the same mistake again, so he caved to Elliott. Jerry made a ton of horrible moves when he was active in FA and trades. Now he no longer does it.

Dak impressed a lot of people in preseason before Romo got hurt. Then became the starter. He seems to react to past success or failure.
I'm going on the Jerry is still in shock after the Packers game. Still convinced that he had the contract already written up, then the realisation that the team he/we thought had taken a step forward, had indeed regressed.
If Dak/France is asking for another all encompassing contract, you may as well test him out with a roster that'll reflect the high Cap% demand.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm going on the Jerry is still in shock after the Packers game. Still convinced that he had the contract already written up, then the realisation that the team he/we thought had taken a step forward, had indeed regressed.
If Dak/France is asking for another all encompassing contract, you may as well test him out with a roster that'll reflect the high Cap% demand.
I agree with you 100%. I think the loss to the Packers, and the way we lost changed everything. They had a plan prior to that game, and now it has been put on hold. We don't know what they'll do now. It's a wait and see approach.

Bing

Reaction score
At this point I dont care in Bozo the clown takes over as the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys. All I know is after 8 years, 9 after this season I'm tired of Dak being the starting OB. Sure we may not win with our next QB but so what, we havent won anything with Dak. I just want someone new that will offer some type of hope because Dak quit offering that years ago.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I'm talking about 2025 dude..

I mean we already know how 2024 is set I expect good things from the Cowboys I don't know about great but we're discussing 2025 in this thread and I'm talking about if Prescott's not here I'm not making crazy moves to get a quarterback... That is the subject quarterback options for 2025...

I'm going to let Trey Lance sink his own ship and get us a great draft pick or step up and at least maybe look like he can grow into something. Maybe he's a late bloomer that can be Geno Smith as his ceiling...
Sorry bro.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Trance will not be starting anywhere. GM Jethro will figure out a 7th round draft pick will be a better option just like the Niners did.

plymkr

Reaction score
It has nothing to do with Dak. You can continue to believe whatever you would like.

The Niners made a horrendous mistake, recognized it and moved on. Now we gave up a 4th and $5.3M,(while our team is in cap hell mind you), just to double check the Niners math?

In addition, we gave this extra pick and extra money to the best team in NFC, the team that we are actually trying to catch up to. It is unbelievably stupid.

The fact that all 3 of our QB's contracts expire at the same time is an entirely another story in itself.

Anyone who evaluates Trance knows he desperately needs playing experience. He will not get any experience playing in Dallas regarding this trade.

Trance will need to be resigned and will need to actually play to be properly evaluated. We learned absolutely nothing from his time with us last year. We will learn maybe this year if he is even worthy of a back up QB spot?

What back up QB is being paid $5.3M that has zero experience? Please look at the QB's drafted this year. All of them have more experience and are younger than Trance.
You made up a nickname for him that is devaluing. It seems personal with you. The only sin Lance committed against Cowboys fans, or certain fans, is he plays QB. The day we traded for him the media jumped on the idea that Jerry did it for leverage or to replace Dak. I feel that peaked some fans’ anxiety about not resigning Dak and they personalize that anxiety by hating Lance.

If we would have traded a 4th rounder for a previous top 5 pick still on his rookie deal and the player played RB, OL,DL or CB I don’t feel we have this discussion. But since Lance plays QB some view that as a threat to Dak.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You made up a nickname for him that is devaluing. It seems personal with you. The only sin Lance committed against Cowboys fans, or certain fans, is he plays QB. The day we traded for him the media jumped on the idea that Jerry did it for leverage or to replace Dak. I feel that peaked some fans’ anxiety about not resigning Dak and they personalize that anxiety by hating Lance.

If we would have traded a 4th rounder for a previous top 5 pick still on his rookie deal and the player played RB, OL,DL or CB I don’t feel we have this discussion. But since Lance plays QB some view that as a threat to Dak.
Nicknames notwithstanding, Lance is a threat to Jerry Jones. Like Prescott he is represented by CAA Football. His representative will be aware of negotiations with Dak. If it looks as if the Cowboys will not reach an agreement with Dak, Trey’s price tag will escalate. The only thing for sure is whoever is the Cowboys’ quarterback in 2025 he will be overpaid. The Cowboys’ FO is lost.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Nicknames notwithstanding, Lance is a threat to Jerry Jones. Like Prescott he is represented by CAA Football. His representative will be aware of negotiations with Dak. If it looks as if the Cowboys will not reach an agreement with Dak, Trey’s price tag will escalate. The only thing for sure is whoever is the Cowboys’ quarterback in 2025 he will be overpaid. The Cowboys’ FO is lost.
ding ding ding! this man sees it, This FO has created a horrible QB/Contract situation where there is no way they dont pay...thats what everyone should be yelling about. Dak leaves we get nothing but a cap hit, Trey shines we have to pay him top dollar for one good year WHILE paying Dak's cap hit..its a textbook 3 stooges movie..

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys have already invested in a future without Dak. That's what giving up this year's 4th round draft pick was all about. We'll see if that was a good move in the three coming preseason games. If it looks bad, only then should we consider these other QBs.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think he gets the job regardless of how he plays in the preseason based on his former draft status, the 4th we have up for him and Jerry’s way of wanting what he wants. It’s not fair to Rush but I think that is what will happen. It’s such a Jerry move. I also think with Lance as the backup, if Dak were to go down and Lance comes in we probably lose games with Lance that we would have won with Rush. I’m rooting for Lance, he’s one of my pet cats but attempting to be unbiased I feel Rush would be a better backup but Jerry will force Lance and will hurt the team cuz of it. Hopefully I’m wrong and Lance balls out if he is needed but as a said in an earlier post, it’s POSSIBLE but not PROBABLE. And Jerry makes decisions based on hope and possibility.
Nice post.

Adreme

Reaction score

Except the best case scenario still has a 60m QB cap hit going forward so nothing is saved.

Best case he gets the job next year on a 1 year incentive contract for about 15m (so 55m QB cap hit next year) if he plays well you are paying 60m right after that.

75boyz

Reaction score
Please not another old fart. Draft and see how it goes. In the meantime go with Lance or in case he's a total bust bring Coop in. He's proven he can win. Don't care about a below 500 season or two if that means we're truly rebuilding the team.

It's not that hard. Jerry's just afraid of being not as relevant for a season or two.
Totally agree.