QB Options without Dak in 2025

GMO415

Reaction score
Say they stick with MM or they bring in Belichick I think they both go with Stafford.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why do you hate him so much? I’m just curious at this point. It seems to me Lance’s biggest sin is he plays the same position as Dak Prescott. It is possible to support Dak and Lance at the same time. It’s possible to hope for the best for a young player on the team and support a veteran. Rooting for Lance to be a good player is not disrespecting Dak. It boggles my mind that a Cowboys player is hated just to show allegiance to another Cowboys player. I don’t know if Lance is going to be a good player or not but if he’s wearing the star then I’m rooting for him and I’m not going to devalue him just because he plays QB.

But anyway yes, Lance was QB1 for an NFL team throughout a whole offseason and started the season as QB1. Then he got injured. This thread is about possible replacements for Dak if he is not extended. Lance would be a cheap player that has started an NFL game and that makes him an option as a potential replacement.
why do you think people hate him? they don't. he just hasn't shown anything worthy of a top 5 pick. he struggled when he played. people say he is a rookie, blah blah. but if he had talent he would show a little something. probably one of the worst starts as a top 5 pick ever. his team gave up. he wasn't even good enough to be a back up, so they signed another failed top 10 pick to be their back up.

so people see him for what he is. a failed pick. but there are people that hold on to any straw in the middle of a hurricane, hoping it turns into a ship magically. at best. at best. he is an average QB. and people complain about average QB play. so trading an average QB for another one is not going to help this team.

so see him for what he really is. as opposed to what you wish him to be.

and that has nothing to do with Dak. just because somebody doesn't like a QB, does make them a Dak supporter. wich you Daksessed people would just stop with some of the nonsense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don’t worry about the #LanceHate

It’s very important for the team that Lance succeeds at taking the QB1 job.

It would be ideal for Lance to have starts in 2024.

But 2025 is the target, as the Dak mess will be resolving itself soon.

Lance will be getting a new contract.

We had an excellent 2024 draft.

The 2025 draft has to hit also. We need RB1.
what Lance hate? because people say based on evidence to date, he has sucked?

or is it you clicking your heels three times wishing you were back in Kansas?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Cowboys have already invested in a future without Dak. That's what giving up this year's 4th round draft pick was all about. We'll see if that was a good move in the three coming preseason games. If it looks bad, only then should we consider these other QBs.
well, not really. because if that was investing in the future and they really believed it, they would have picked up his 5th year option at 25M, which would have put his salary at bottom half of the league. so they don't believe he is the answer and didn't pick up his option. which means going into 2025 we may have no QB (specially if they let Rush go and keep lance).

thank you for your brilliant moves Jerry!

plymkr

Reaction score
why do you think people hate him? they don't. he just hasn't shown anything worthy of a top 5 pick. he struggled when he played. people say he is a rookie, blah blah. but if he had talent he would show a little something. probably one of the worst starts as a top 5 pick ever. his team gave up. he wasn't even good enough to be a back up, so they signed another failed top 10 pick to be their back up.

so people see him for what he is. a failed pick. but there are people that hold on to any straw in the middle of a hurricane, hoping it turns into a ship magically. at best. at best. he is an average QB. and people complain about average QB play. so trading an average QB for another one is not going to help this team.

and that has nothing to do with Dak. just because somebody doesn't like a QB, does make them a Dak supporter. wich you Daksessed people would just stop with some of the nonsense.
This thread is about possible replacements for Dak if Dak leaves. Lance is a possible replacement. If you or anyone else doesn’t like the idea of Dak leaving and someone replacing him then don’t read this thread.

As for why I feel some fans hate Lance is because when I listed off several QBs that could be cheap replacements, such as Dobbs, Fields, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones etc none of them got the backlash that Lance did.

Again this whole thread is about Dak being replaced so does that mean everyone who reads it or comments on it is “Daksessed”?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
This thread is about possible replacements for Dak if Dak leaves. Lance is a possible replacement. If you or anyone else doesn’t like the idea of Dak leaving and someone replacing him then don’t read this thread.

As for why I feel some fans hate Lance is because when I listed off several QBs that could be cheap replacements, such as Dobbs, Fields, Zach Wilson, Mac Jones etc none of them got the backlash that Lance did.

Again this whole thread is about Dak being replaced so does that mean everyone who reads it or comments on it is “Daksessed”?
How about Wentz? Matriculated at NDSU, like Lance, far more accomplished in college and the NFL than Lance, and will likely have two rings after this season. And he’s being paid much less than Lance this season. Probably willing to sign for less than Lance next season. Keep an open mind.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I didn't say that dak should stay.

I think time has come to part ways. he will not succeed here. we will not succeed with him.

Lance is a FA. so there will be competition for him if he is any good. if he sucks why would we want him?

fields, wilson, dobbs, jones all suck. proven based on number of gmes they played and outcome. none are with the original team after several years.

Lance to some is an unknown, so people are just "hoping". wishful thinking.

hope and wishful thinking is not a strategy.

with Lance a FA in 2025. Dak a FA in 2025 and potentiall letting Rush walk. we have ZERO QBs on the roster.

Thank you Jerry

plymkr

Reaction score
How about Wentz? Matriculated at NDSU, like Lance, far more accomplished in college and the NFL than Lance, and will likely have two rings after this season. And he’s being paid much less than Lance this season. Probably willing to sign for less than Lance next season. Keep an open mind.
I would definitely take Wentz. I even thought about Danial Jones if he’s cut by the Giants. But yes I would take Wentz any day of the week over Lance. Wentz has got more starter experience. Just so my position is clear. I’m not married to the idea that Lance is the answer. I think Lance is a possible replacement for Dak but not the only replacement. If Dak leaves the tier of QBs I would prefer is a young or a bridge QB that is cheap and we can buy time while we draft a blue chip guy. So off the top of my head (in no specific order)
Fields, Jones, Wentz, Mac Jones, Flacco, Dobbs, Lance. These QBs could be had for cheap and have an outside chance of coming into their own. If not we’d be in a good draft spot to get a better guy.

What I don’t want is this tier of QB: Cousins, Carr, R. Wilson. Again in no particular order. I don’t want a guy that is on the downside of his career and will need 30-35 to sign. I don’t want a guy good enough to get us a mid round draft pick but not good enough to make the playoffs. If that makes sense.

But yes, definitely if Wentz is a FA and the price is good bring him in. I’d be excited about that.

plymkr

Reaction score
I didn't say that dak should stay.

I think time has come to part ways. he will not succeed here. we will not succeed with him.

Lance is a FA. so there will be competition for him if he is any good. if he sucks why would we want him?

fields, wilson, dobbs, jones all suck. proven based on number of gmes they played and outcome. none are with the original team after several years.

Lance to some is an unknown, so people are just "hoping". wishful thinking.

hope and wishful thinking is not a strategy.

with Lance a FA in 2025. Dak a FA in 2025 and potentiall letting Rush walk. we have ZERO QBs on the roster.

Thank you Jerry
I just wrote a long post a second ago so I don’t want to be redundant. Fields, Lance, Dobbs, etc would be a good bridge QB but definitely not a long term solution. So in a pinch if we need a QB1 and due to Jerry’s mismanagement philosophies. I would take Fields, Lance, Dobbs etc as a one year rental for cheap just to get us through 2024 and salary cap hell. And if they do great then that’s a great problem to have. If they suck then we can reassess after the season. What I don’t want is a Cousins or Carr that will hurt our salary cap and draft pick.

If we let Dak walk I’m assuming we’re resetting the salary cap. I say go youth with potential then old and expensive and no potential. I’m more advocating for the philosophy of youth and potential then a player like Cousins that will keep us “close to the rim” but not a contender. So I’m not advocating as much for specifically Lance as much youth and potential.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

So, given all that, why hate on him? He should be an irrelevance, instead certain fans have to get all Pet Cat over the 4th Rd pick.
Unless Dak plays as he did in the first half of the GB game Jerry's not letting him go. If Dak does replicate that the GB game, Lance gets a chance to play for a 2025 contract. He probably isnt expected to play like a MVP and certainly not expected to play to a level that gets him a mega contract, but he will get familiarity with the Offense and the FO will be able to evaluate and plan ahead.

Lance is in effect a 4thRd Pick, that in 2025 may well get less than a quarter of what Dak will potentially get.