QBs rarely win Superbowls on extension expensive contracts

gmb1

Reaction score
When Purdy wins the Super Bowl you will come back to this thread. It is correct that QBs that win usually win the Super Bowl are in their rookie deal or a lower paying contract.

Staubacher

Reaction score
The Cowboys face a very unique situation with Dak because no matter how much his haters hate, he is actually not a bad quarterback. Bad QB's don't throw for 4500 yards and 36 touchdowns at this level.

Dak is like a kid in school that gets straight A's the entire year and then flunks his final exam.

So if you are the Cowboys do you dump Dak thinking just any QB can get you 12 wins three years in a row? And assuming you do, are you certain changing the QB would have changed the playoff result against Green Bay? Because I am not so sure.

I know we need more from Dak in the playoffs. What I don't know is if the "anybody but Dak" path even gets you to the playoffs in the first place. Because the Packers game showed us this team has a lot more flaws than just the quarterback.
Team went 4-1 with the backup scrub in 2022.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I was telling this board that years ago.

They’d rather lose with Dak. Trust me.
You’ve been telling this board for years that if a QB doesn’t win a SB on their rookie deal you’re moving on. Which means you would have moved on from Joe Burrow and Josh Allen. You’ll move on from CJ Stroud no matter how well he plays if he doesn’t win a SB on his rookie deal.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score

QBs typically win super bowls on rookie contracts or team friendly contracts, Brady , Aaron Rogers , Mahomes , Wilson etc .
But now Dak wants an SECOND. Extension mammoth contract ? He has had that and has not delivered .
sometimes I wonder is it Jerry or Stephen approving such decisions.

:laugh:You realize Mahomes is the NFL's 2nd highest paid player. The contract isn't the issue, it's who gets it.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
Kinda proves you can get to a SB with a QB in a second contract
The OP doesn't contest "can get". Your proof is unnecessary.
I know of one who on his second who has yet to win a divisional round game, and is looking for his second big post rookie contract despite being long removed from his rookie year.

Jayinem

Reaction score
There's so much history that points to Dak not winning a Super Bowl as a Cowboy. Only 4 QBs that are older than he is have won their first Super Bowl with the team that drafted them and two of those won NFL Championships before there were Super Bowls, another was John Elway who went to and lost 3 Super Bowls, and the other is Phil Simms who was 31. Dak will be 31 at the start of next season. I would bet every other team in the NFL would have moved on from Dak by now due to not winning anything in the playoffs, but our team will stupidly pay him a fortune.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
The Cowboys have an above average regular season QB, a horrible playoff QB, and a morbidly obese, dumb below average head coach. Please enlighten me how this combination is supposed to win a championship

Mahomes + Reid
Shanahan + Purdy

You need at the very least an elite 1 out of the 2 with QB and HC. The Cowboys have neither.

Jayinem

Reaction score
The Cowboys have an above average regular season QB, a horrible playoff QB, and a morbidly obese, dumb below average head coach. Please enlighten me how this combination is supposed to win a championship

Mahomes + Reid
Shanahan + Purdy

You need at the very least an elite 1 out of the 2 with QB and HC. The Cowboys have neither.
There's no reason to make the guy's weight be a part of it. Andy Reid who you also mentioned is also obese, proving it's about your mind as a head coach not if you can run laps with the players.

ICP

Reaction score
Well, buckle up because we will all be watching them try to do exactly that in Dallas soon

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
We're almost there, as evidenced by our performance in the wildcard round, and losses to Buffalo and Miami late in the season.
Let's not forget the last drive by the Lions a couple of weeks ago. Solid!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You’ve been telling this board for years that if a QB doesn’t win a SB on their rookie deal you’re moving on. Which means you would have moved on from Joe Burrow and Josh Allen. You’ll move on from CJ Stroud no matter how well he plays if he doesn’t win a SB on his rookie deal.
You just mentioned three of the top five QBs in the game. Those QBs are far better than Dak.

It's okay to pay the top QBs huge money. It's not okay to pay better than average or "pretty good" regular season QBs huge money.

mugsybows

Reaction score

QBs typically win super bowls on rookie contracts or team friendly contracts, Brady , Aaron Rogers , Mahomes , Wilson etc .
But now Dak wants an SECOND. Extension mammoth contract ? He has had that and has not delivered .

I was thinking I think that is this teams problem but it extends into all areas. They hold onto their players too long usually into retirement when they need to be cutting their ties and saving money and moving on. Thats why it feel’s like this team has never really went through a rebuild in the last 15 years. Always some ties to a past team.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dak garrett aint winning crap. sheesh slow learners, but I have his jersey. *tears rolling down face* That's your fault for buying stupid gear to prop up jerry.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

has dak said or his agent said what he wants?

also, Rogers got his money. was tops at the time. not team friendly. Mahomes got a 10 year...10 YEAR 450M contract. the largest ever contracted given in NFL. what's team friendly?
Wilson got top 2 contract at the time.

but to your point, teams can win on Rookie contract. usually those who get lucky and draft an Elite QB. most others who fail at finding that elite QB fail at it. so you are missing 90% of the picture.

and that teams have won superbowls on QBs with second contract. interestingly the ones you mentioned above are all Elite or super elite.

so essentially the key is to have an elite QB. or an Elite team around a good QB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Kinda proves you can get to a SB with a QB in a second contract
As @Flamma indicated earlier, it's the CAP% HIT that matters not the rookie status of the contract eg Stafford still won his SB with low % (as he was still on his cheap 1st year of the contract). The problem with Dak's extension is that it'll need to be long term to spread out the existing deferred payments (and the $34m 2024 salary which I bet France will want included).

Mahomes/Brady can carry a team, lesser QB's on big contracts Cap hit% never seem to work when they need tools/weapons.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
so essentially the key is to have an elite QB. or an Elite team around a good QB.
Yes, but Dak has to accept he isnt elite and gets/accepts payment accordingly. Even then, this repeated inability to perform under duress is worrying..... even Purdy came back from a 17pt deficit.