Question re: Dak and greed

shabazz

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I think anyone who turns down enough money to live very, very comfortably for the rest of his life, because he wants more is being greedy. Whether anyone can blame him for being greedy is a different matter. But unless he wants more money, just so he can give that much more to charity, it's greed. I don't see any other option.

He may need the extra money to attend one of Drew Brees Quarterback Camps, so I fully understand his position

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's still a partial picture. The line in the sand, isn't the guaranteed part...as that goes down even if he can't play another play at any point. He was offered top shelf levels for any player currently in the NFL.
The guaranteed money seems to me to be the biggest part of the picture for the player. The annual salary isn't a clear picture because if a player gets hurt or cut the guaranteed amount is what he is left with. That's the security in the deal for the player.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak earned his first contract in the NFL with his draft position- that should have no bearing on current negotiations.

Dak earned 50 million in endorsement contracts with his good play and being on the Cowboys.

Those two equal out IMO because he came into a great situation that afforded him that opportunity and he took advantage of it.

I don't think he is worth 35 million to the team, I don't think it is greed - I think it is a pride and respect thing that today's athlete seems to hold in higher regard than the money itself.
When that story broke of how much Brady was making and he had to use that "my wife is rich" remark, they were quick to jack his pay some 8M.

It is a lot how it looks to pro athletes and since they've spent most of their lives in competition, seems reasonable that would cross over to contracts. The verbiage that no one at their position can make more has been around for a while. They are in constant measurement of how they stack up.

Think these people aren't like the rest of us and see how others live? Do we think they don't do mental rankings of what other players, in all sports, make?

If they were truthful, they would use that old cliche about taking care of their family, instead they'd say now that I've taken care of my ego and that nasty old envy devil, I can play ball.

And we can never underestimate that competitiveness not playing a role in this negotiation. Prescott and his agent want to "win" this one. And this is the most self indulgent owner in the game flaunting what he's got, that's just the type of man you want to beat. He's also every negotiation with a star he's had, why should Prescott be the first to give this clown a win?

And there's one thing in all of this that we really haven't discussed, what does Prescott think he's worth compared to the others in that 30M club? We know how his Mom raised and supported him and instilled confidence in him when he was 3rd string in high school and college and when he got the #1 job, he never relinquished it.

There's your worth on the broader spectrum across the NFL in comparisons with other players and then there is your worth to your team. Many say he's not worth Russell Wilson money because he's not as good but is he not as valuable to his team as Wilson is to the Seahawks?

This is not about Prescott's worth or value to his team because it is a given they are going to give him what he wants because he and his agent know they ware going to win. This is and always has been about staying relevant in the media and milking this for all they can. They even say nothing to stay in the spotlight, that is and has always been job one and right now, there's very little else but this ongoing nothing about nothing and for all we know the deal has been done for weeks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Endorsements are highly relevant...it goes to individual worth due to employment.
Sure, they are relevant regarding the player's individual worth, but they are not meant to be a replacement for salary, they are meant to be a supplement to it. That's the incentive for a player to do endorsements - to supplement his salary, not to fund a discount for the team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not about Prescott's worth or value to his team because it is a given they are going to give him what he wants because he and his agent know they ware going to win. This is and always has been about staying relevant in the media and milking this for all they can. They even say nothing to stay in the spotlight, that is and has always been job one and right now, there's very little else but this ongoing nothing about nothing and for all we know the deal has been done for weeks.

This has been in my mind for some time now. It's hard to believe after all this time that the two sides are clueless as to what kind of deal will work for both, and with Jerry always having an eye on marketing, I can easily see him milking this for the media attention.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I guess we will have to disagree on this point.

Everyone from low paying manual laborers to highly paid athletes want to get paid at a level they feel is fair within the context of the market and the job they do. Would we expect a guy doing a job that normally pays $200-220K/year to accept a $170K/year salary simply because even at $170K he is making a lot more than a fast food worker? I don't think so, and I don't think it should be expected with an athlete either.
There's a world of lifestyle difference between $220K/yr and &33+ million/yr, but even then, if the guy is the franchise owner of the fast food restaurant, and the difference between $220K and $170K means they can't hire the same quality workers, and the business can't compete then yes, I think he should accept it.

To be clear, I'm not saying Jerry is lowballing Dak, just saying that a player shouldn't be expected to take less than he thinks is fair because he is going to make a lot of money either way. For that matter, the team is going to make a lot of money either way as well, so why would it just be on the player to compromise?

As for endorsements, I don't think that has any place in the discussion. A player doesn't do endorsements so he can give his team a cheaper contract, he does them to make money above and beyond what his contract pays.
I only mention the endorsements to point out that Dak is making a crap ton of money, because he plays QB for Dallas, so nobody should feel sorry for him if he "only" gets $33 million/yr or so, and that adding that money into the equation should count toward the perception of whether or not he's being greedy to want so much money...to play football.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sure, they are relevant regarding the player's individual worth, but they are not meant to be a replacement for salary, they are meant to be a supplement to it. That's the incentive for a player to do endorsements - to supplement his salary, not to fund a discount for the team.
But I have to wonder how many players want to go to Dallas because they know their endorsement deals will be bigger.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
I know I know, I just couldn’t help myself despite the numerous Dak threads.

This really isn’t a question of what you think he should be paid, or what he deserves, more do you honestly think it’s just “greed” considering the (league relative) peanuts he played for for 4 years?

No matter what your opinion on him as a player or as your teams QB, there is NO argument that he massively outplayed his draft position and associated contract. Stepping in from day one as the starter and on through the present, he’s made roughly what we’re giving Dalton to the be the backup for a year. And he did it without a peep. There was never any holdout talk, any salary talk, any hint of bitterness or entitlement, just did his job and fulfilled the contract in full and without any drama around it.

With that said, I (personally don’t begrudge him for pushing for whatever he wants, because that’s the mechanics of the league in the same fashion the contract he previously received and honored. I’m just not seeing the greed.

He ran his tail off the first year and did quite well. After that ..............

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
When that story broke of how much Brady was making and he had to use that "my wife is rich" remark, they were quick to jack his pay some 8M.

It is a lot how it looks to pro athletes and since they've spent most of their lives in competition, seems reasonable that would cross over to contracts. The verbiage that no one at their position can make more has been around for a while. They are in constant measurement of how they stack up.

Think these people aren't like the rest of us and see how others live? Do we think they don't do mental rankings of what other players, in all sports, make?

If they were truthful, they would use that old cliche about taking care of their family, instead they'd say now that I've taken care of my ego and that nasty old envy devil, I can play ball.

And we can never underestimate that competitiveness not playing a role in this negotiation. Prescott and his agent want to "win" this one. And this is the most self indulgent owner in the game flaunting what he's got, that's just the type of man you want to beat. He's also every negotiation with a star he's had, why should Prescott be the first to give this clown a win?

And there's one thing in all of this that we really haven't discussed, what does Prescott think he's worth compared to the others in that 30M club? We know how his Mom raised and supported him and instilled confidence in him when he was 3rd string in high school and college and when he got the #1 job, he never relinquished it.

There's your worth on the broader spectrum across the NFL in comparisons with other players and then there is your worth to your team. Many say he's not worth Russell Wilson money because he's not as good but is he not as valuable to his team as Wilson is to the Seahawks?

I think a lot of this might be true but if it is, then that entire "next man up" mantra goes right out the window with me. If it's really about salary tells who's better, then there is no reason to be adopting the idea that if it's your time, you get paid more. It's contradictive.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree there is a lifestyle difference at $33MM vs $220K, but I don't think that changes the natural desire of all employees at all pay levels to be compensated within a range they feel is fair within the market for what they do, or to feel they are valued as much as others that do what they do.

And, again, the team is also making a boatload of money, so I'm not sure why the compromise would only be viewed as something the player is responsible for.

And, although it is a ton of money, it is also a short lived career that can be cut even shorter by injury, so players have a limited time to make all the money they can. And while in the case of a QB it is a lot more money than the average person will make in a lifetime, it's still natural for a person to take full advantage of their peak earning years.

In any case, I agree nobody should feel sorry for Dak if he doesn't get what he wants. That's not even a thought for me. He is going to be rich, and the Cowboys are going to be worth a ton of money and everyone involved ends up rolling in the dough. I don't see a reason to feel sorry for either side.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But I have to wonder how many players want to go to Dallas because they know their endorsement deals will be bigger.
It's probably an incentive for some, but it's still only an incentive if it's to supplement their income rather than to fund a discounted salary.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree there is a lifestyle difference at $33MM vs $220K, but I don't think that changes the natural desire of all employees at all pay levels to be compensated within a range they feel is fair within the market for what they do, or to feel they are valued as much as others that do what they do.

And, again, the team is also making a boatload of money, so I'm not sure why the compromise would only be viewed as something the player is responsible for.

And, although it is a ton of money, it is also a short lived career that can be cut even shorter by injury, so players have a limited time to make all the money they can. And while in the case of a QB it is a lot more money than the average person will make in a lifetime, it's still natural for a person to take full advantage of their peak earning years.

In any case, I agree nobody should feel sorry for Dak if he doesn't get what he wants. That's not even a thought for me. He is going to be rich, and the Cowboys are going to be worth a ton of money and everyone involved ends up rolling in the dough. I don't see a reason to feel sorry for either side.

How much the team makes doesn't matter. What matters is that they only have so much to spend on players, and robbing from Peter to pay Paul diminishes the quality of players they can put on the field to help the team win.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's probably an incentive for some, but it's still only an incentive if it's to supplement their income rather than to fund a discounted salary.
5X the salary in endorsements for Dak...only incentive. Try $165...theoretical? Not hardly...get real here.

CCBoy

Reaction score

How much the team makes doesn't matter. What matters is that they only have so much to spend on players, and robbing from Peter to pay Paul diminishes the quality of players they can put on the field to help the team win.

Do the research, develop, and grow talent...and not worry about retention as well? Do people want a 4 year turn-over and not 8-10 retention on quality players? Someone needs to get real...think?:)

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't have a problem with the team only being willing to pay as much as it feels is fair and it can afford. I believe both sides have the right to negotiate based on what they feel is fair and in their best interest. But the Cowboys can't avoid completing in the marketplace they exist in, so some of the burden still falls on the Cowboys to figure out how to do that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do the research, develop, and grow talent...and not worry about retention as well? Do people want a 4 year turn-over and not 8-10 retention on quality players? Someone needs to get real...think?:)
Omer is a very good poster, for whom I have much respect. We just see things differently on this subject.

shabazz

Reaction score

Not to mention Jerry's propensity for caving in on contracts and putting up with camp cupcake mentality from time to time as well

Throw in the Cheerleaders for "hammer-time" and its a no-brainer to come here.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5X the salary in endorsements for Dak...only incentive. Try $165...theoretical? Not hardly...get real here.
No matter how much he makes in endorsements, the point of endorsements is to supplement salary, not to pay for a reduction in it. I'm not sure what the $165 you mentioned means.