Questions for the Dak trashers

Sydla

Reaction score
Is it?

My sense is that the great QBs in the league throw to open guys and avoid throwing to WRs who are covered.

Most of the time Dez is covered. I'm not sure Dak wants to throw to Dez more of the time -- he simply feels like he HAS too to maintain team chemistry/harmony.

I can't help but think about that 5-6 game stretch last season where Dez was out and the Dak and Williams/Butler/Beasley had a fantastic stretch where the ball was evenly distributed, and the passing game thrived.

FWIW, I am already on record suggesting they should look WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

khiladi

Reaction score
Is it?

My sense is that the great QBs in the league throw to open guys and avoid throwing to WRs who are covered.

Most of the time Dez is covered. I'm not sure Dak wants to throw to Dez more of the time -- he simply feels like he HAS too to maintain team chemistry/harmony.

I can't help but think about that 5-6 game stretch last season where Dez was out and the Dak and Williams/Butler/Beasley had a fantastic stretch where the ball was evenly distributed, and the passing game thrived.

Here is a good article from last year that talks about this trend. Cam Newton is among those who throws heavily in tight windows which is why he fluctuates so heavily from year to year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...m-newton-leads-nfls-top10-most-aggressive-qbs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we were 14-2 every year with Romo, I would agree with this. Romo was a technician, no doubt about that. But the Cowboys had horrible games and losses, TEAM LOSSES, with Romo at QB. I didn't blame Romo then so I won't blame Dak now. The fact is that the Dallas Cowboys played like crap from whistle to whistle and there wasn't a damn thing Dak Prescott could do about it. Did Dak have a good game? Hell no, but who could under those circumstances? It was the game from hell for everyone in silver and blue. Let's just move on.

This should be bannered at first log in. Mods, just do it......:D

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FWIW, I am already on record suggesting they should look WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

Was telling a friend of mine after the game. I may have even posted it. But I think we need to go after a speed WR in the draft. Not to replace Dez. But we just need one, we never had one for a long time that can truly stretch the field. I like Twill to a point, but he is not the speed guy we need, nor is Butler.

They spent draft picks on the OL, secondary, and the DL, though still waiting for that guy to emerge. We got the RB and QB. But now time to get that deep threat we lack so much. My fear is they will go for a TE before a WR. Not to be humorous on that, but you can't rule it out.

Sydla

Reaction score
Was telling a friend of mine after the game. I may have even posted it. But I think we need to go after a speed WR in the draft. Not to replace Dez. But we just need one, we never had one for a long time that can truly stretch the field. I like Twill to a point, but he is not the speed guy we need, nor is Butler.

They spent draft picks on the OL, secondary, and the DL, though still waiting for that guy to emerge. We got the RB and QB. But now time to get that deep threat we lack so much. My fear is they will go for a TE before a WR. Not to be humorous on that, but you can't rule it out.

I said a clone of someone like Will Fuller wouldn't be a bad fit here. But honestly, if the opportunity presents itself to get a pure #1 WR comes up in this draft, I would not be opposed to taking a guy like that in Rd 1.

Something is off with Dez IMO. Not sure if the leg/foot injuries have zapped him of something but he doesn't look like the same WR from a few years ago. He was rarely taken out of games by good CBs but now, if you have one quality CB, you can neutralize him.

I'd love for someone like Broaddus or Strum to really pull apart a couple of All-22s and watch Bryant........ see if he is winning one on one matchups and Dak is missing him, see the coaching staff is really using him in ways that best utilize his talents, etc.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
The guy he replaced would have made them pay for stacking the box to stop the run.

I'm a supporter of Romo, but can some stop acting like the Cowboys didn't have ugly losses with him as QB.

Plus also the fact that even in some of four close losses, Romo threw INT's that ended up hurting the teams chances of winning. Yes, he lead the team on some comebacks. He also had turnovers which cost the team the game. Dak didn't play well against the Broncos, but lead the team on some comeback wins as well.

And the reason why Dak became starter in the first place was because Romo couldn't stay healthy. There is no guarantee that Romo would have had a better game or even been able to stay in the game against that Denver D.

zack

Reaction score
This is what I was concerned about last season. When we had teams shut the run down, we couldn't do anything offensively. Dak plays inside the box, he rarely is taking chances down the field. Yes, he doesn't throw a lot of interceptions, but not taking chances down the field
Targeting Dez:

Comp Pct 48.8
TD-Int. 9-4
Passer Rtg. 84.7

Targeting EVERYONE ELSE:

Comp Pct 71.7
TD-Int. 17-2
Passer Rtg. 105.1

Tell me the routes that Dez is running in that sample? Then let's go over whether or not those are high percentage pass routes or not?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
One bad loss isn't enough to run your starting QB out of town. That's unreasonable. Here's what is reasonable:

* We should expect Dak to study the film of this game hard and make every effort to improve. In short, your losses should make you a better player.

* We should expect this loss not to rattle him, but instead to make him all the more determined to play well and to lead his team.

* We should expect him to be a good leader by keeping this game in perspective and working with his teammates to become a better team.

I believe Dak will do all of the above.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
What's Tom Brady's QB rating the last couple games against the Broncos? What was Aaron Rodgers QB rating when he played against this defense in 2015?

Just want to make sure we are being consistent when we are saying things like he was terrible and how he's a fraud etc. Broaddus summed it up pretty well on Talkin' Cowboys after analysing the tape. The Denver secondary is the best in the league. I think it's just about established now, Dallas doesn't have a dominant receiver. They have a bunch of good solid guys. It wasn't that their dline dominated our oline, even though our oline did not have a good game by any stretch. The Broncos secondary just flat out shut down our receivers with single coverage. Guys didn't get open.

Apart from a few broken coverages, Dak had to hit pretty tight windows all game. He couldn't do it, but guess what, the two best in the game, in their prime couldn't against this defense also.

Dak's been off-target some in the first couple of games this season. Some of that, perhaps most, has to do with the defenses he's faced, but he's missed some opportunities even when he's had time to throw and had receivers to hit.

I'm not overly concerned about it because it's early in the season and every QB misses some throws, but I think it's fair to be critical of him to some extent. His play contributed to this loss, and his play contributed to us only scoring 19 against the Giants. (On average, I believe we need to score in the 20s because of this defense.)

I hope that he'll start making some of the throws he's missed so that we can make defenses pay when they choose to sell out to stop the running game. Both the receivers and Dak need to beat one-on-one coverage.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm a supporter of Romo, but can some stop acting like the Cowboys didn't have ugly losses with him as QB.

Plus also the fact that even in some of four close losses, Romo threw INT's that ended up hurting the teams chances of winning. Yes, he lead the team on some comebacks. He also had turnovers which cost the team the game. Dak didn't play well against the Broncos, but lead the team on some comeback wins as well.

And the reason why Dak became starter in the first place was because Romo couldn't stay healthy. There is no guarantee that Romo would have had a better game or even been able to stay in the game against that Denver D.

You mean when he didn't have an OL, had Jason Garrett as an OC with no direction, a center in Gurode that couldn't call plays at the line, guys like Montrae Holland, Felix Jones at RB, Kevin Ogletree and so on.. a watered down man blocking scheme with Houck that only started changing with Callahan..

Please stop comparing the two..

Teams stacked this line to stop Zeke plain and simply and have Dak beat them with his arm. He has and had Smith, Martin, Collins, Frederick blocking for him. There is no Colombo and guys like Leonard Davis..

They didn't stack the line to stop Felix Jones and Julius Jones.

On the other hand, the burden was always on Romo to turn garbage into something acceptable.. Dak has never faced an upper 30 sack season on average like Romo did continuously here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said a clone of someone like Will Fuller wouldn't be a bad fit here. But honestly, if the opportunity presents itself to get a pure #1 WR comes up in this draft, I would not be opposed to taking a guy like that in Rd 1.

Something is off with Dez IMO. Not sure if the leg/foot injuries have zapped him of something but he doesn't look like the same WR from a few years ago. He was rarely taken out of games by good CBs but now, if you have one quality CB, you can neutralize him.

I'd love for someone like Broaddus or Strum to really pull apart a couple of All-22s and watch Bryant........ see if he is winning one on one matchups and Dak is missing him, see the coaching staff is really using him in ways that best utilize his talents, etc.

What I noticed is you have to throw the ball right to Dez anymore. He doesn't get open often, at least against some better DB's, or go for the contested ball like he used to.
Now Dak has been off, and Dez needs to get out o this funk. But something is not right.
regardless, we need that WR.

khiladi

Reaction score
For all the garbage Romo has had to live with including sacrificing his body for the "Head Coach in Training" and third-rate scrub rosters, now I got to hear comparisons of Dak in respect to Romo's bad games, as is Dak hasn't been handed a key to a Mercedes on offense...

an offense that Romo finally was about to have a chance to play in, but never did..

Now the Dak fan boys are trying to leverage the legitimate excuses that Romo had he doesn't.. the microscope needs to be put on Dak, because the Cowboys and their organization made one of their most defining decisions last year that could have basically ruined a real shot at a SB within these next two years.. Romo tolerated garbage for years while taking the blame..

These same Dak homers are saying in the offense we got the 'next Brady', but now they are pretending like he needs work and it's only his second year, because they know he's looked sub par..

Last edited:

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
You mean when he didn't have an OL, had Jason Garrett as an OC with no direction, a center in Gurode that couldn't call plays at the line, guys like Montrae Holland, Felix Jones at RB, Kevin Ogletree and so on.. a watered down man blocking scheme with Houck that only started changing with Callahan..

Please stop comparing the two..

Teams stacked this line to stop Zeke plain and simply and have Dak beat them with his arm. He has and had Smith, Martin, Collins, Frederick blocking for him. There is no Colombo and guys like Leonard Davis..

They didn't stack the line to stop Felix Jones and Julius Jones.

On the other hand, the burden was always on Romo to turn garbage into something acceptable.. Dak has never faced an upper 30 sack season on average like Romo did continuously here.

Romo eventually got an improved O-line and better RB's. He had Murray who had a great season when he was with the Cowboys.

You ask not to compare the two, yet you are comparing Romo who had ten seasons as a starter to get better with the Cowboys. To Dak who is just in his 2nd season and 2nd game. And are ready to give up on Dak. When he has a bad Defense just like Romo did. And put all of the blame on Dak, but don't want all of the blame on Romo when we lose.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo eventually got an improved O-line and better RB's. He had Murray who had a great season when he was with the Cowboys.

You ask not to compare the two, yet you are comparing Romo who had ten seasons as a starter to get better with the Cowboys. To Dak who is just in his 2nd season and 2nd game. And are ready to give up on Dak. When he has a bad Defense just like Romo did. And put all of the blame on Dak, but don't want all of the blame on Romo when we lose.

And he took this team to
Lambeau was basically perfect in sub zero temperatures and was robbed on a catch by Dez and was arguably the MVP..

The comparison is stupid because Romo finally had the roster, we had multiple years to see his skills with a garbage roster and was arguably the best QB in the league with that new roster.. we destroyed Seattle, maybe the best defense in the league overcoming 5 INTs by Russell Wilson, the same team that ended up in the SB..

If Dak still shows he needs development, guess what he would still be here getting a chance to learn and develop behind Romo

MrPhil

Reaction score
The guy he replaced would have made them pay for stacking the box to stop the run.

And what will Dak be able to do in the same situation with the same years of the experience as "the guy he replaced"? I don't think it is fair to compare a 2nd year player with that of a 10+ year veteran.