CFZ Questions for the Offense

DanA

Reaction score
I just think it requires a bit of reading the tea leaves. I'd be interested in what people believe the answer to the below questions are:

• What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?
I think it's complicated. It won't be anything obscure in terms of percentage, it's still going to be within NFL norms, But I do think we will see a lot more of Dak playing under center and utilization of 12 personnel on 1st and 2nd down. In that respect, pre-snap we will look like a run team.
  • What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?
I think there were a few fundamental differences that McCarthy wants to see changed. I think a big part of it will be that he wants to control the clock and support the defense a bit more. That means longer, more consistent drives that aren't so boom or bust. I also think he wants to clarify things a bit for Dak to reduce those interception numbers. I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch. I also think we will see Dak less of Dak playing out of shotgun and slinging it and more of him under center.
  • Why Brian Shottenheimer?
I think goes to the identity of what McCarthy wants to create. He recognizes that Dak isn't Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and never will be (not sure Moore did). Dak does however have strengths, it's just those strengths align more with a 2018-2020 Russell Wilson than they do the offense Kellen Moore runs. Hence the change to the OC that Russell Wilson had over that time.
  • Why was Schoonmaker so highly valued?
We weren't just looking for a blocking TE, we were looking for someone that can receive the ball but also block in a variety of ways. I don't think we ever were looking at a guy like Kincaid because we aren't looking for our TE's to be a big receiver like Kelce. I think it comes back to Dak playing under center and our team's "run" philosophy. What we want is TE's that typically block before releasing. I think that fits Dak playing under center, along with both Ferguson (and his YAC ability) and Schoonmaker (with his downfield blocking) very well. I suspect we had three TE targets in the draft all at pick 59 (LaPorta, Musgrave, and Schoonmaker), and felt lucky to get one of them.
  • Why Bergeron but not Torrence?
It was very clear we wanted a guard (Bergeron) by the War Room discussion but I think the type of guard was also very important. IMO we are only targeting guys that can pull, block at the second level, and with the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme. That is clearly Bergeron but very clearly NOT O'Cyrus Torrence. We went with Asim Richards who as a former left tackle could develop into what we are looking for, we already have Tyler Smith, Chuma Edoga, and Matt Farniok on the roster and to me, there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
  • Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think you draft Deuce Vaughn unless you have a specific plan. Again, I think we will see Dak play under center, and rather than have our RBs stay inside pass-protecting, we will see them running route and targeted in the screen game. I actually think Dak deals well with pressure up the middle and we are going to bait teams to blitz.
  • Why was Cooks so coveted?
I think McCarthy simply wants that guy that can stretch the field. We saw Dk Metcalf do it for Seattle and while the polar opposite build to Cook that speed is required to really stretch the field.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
yep, think you did a pretty, pretty, pretty good job on the analysis. To touch on a couple of things, i think MM wants to run successfully on first downs to have 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 which allow you flexibility to run again or pass. Keeps the defenses on their heels. No question what you will probably do on 2nd and 10 or 2nd and 9. So need to get ahead of the sticks. This becomes more important when you got a lead to protect. Lost several games due to unable to do that.

Also appears that the Cowboys like to convert OT to OG because more mobile, according to them. I just want one that performs great regardless if he can play both. As for Deuce, i think in the 6th round they just wanted a back that can take it to the house no matter how he gets the ball. Good bye plodding Zeke. Oh and it helps, he is the son of the Cowboy scout. Jerry loves theater.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch.
:clap:.....the ONLY slight question id have is whether curls and comebacks were as a result of Moore's play calling OR whether we used them as it fitted in with Dak's comfort zone and the TE/WR corp. Then again I suppose it could be argued that bringing in a WR comfortable in the slot and Schoonmaker (wasnt he 2nd ranked slot/slant TE, after Bowers) gives Dak the weapons on the inside.

DanA

Reaction score
:clap:.....the ONLY slight question id have is whether curls and comebacks were as a result of Moore's play calling OR whether we used them as it fitted in with Dak's comfort zone and the TE/WR corp. Then again I suppose it could be argued that bringing in a WR comfortable in the slot and Schoonmaker (wasnt he 2nd ranked slot/slant TE, after Bowers) gives Dak the weapons on the inside.
I think Dak has always looked better on routes where he sees the WR break as opposed to routes predicting when/where they cut.

But I also think there could be some truth in it not being so much Moore as it is limitations in the receivers we’ve had. They’ve all kind of been the same type (Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Wilson, N.Brown etc). Dak arguably had his best chemistry with Beasley though.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think Dak has always looked better on routes where he sees the WR break as opposed to routes predicting when/where they cut.
There has been a lot of criticism of Dak with his slow progressions, hopefully fewer schemed targets under the WCO (which he can follow, and balk to the checkdown rather than gamble) may suit his talents more than this Air Coryell of hoping that someone gets open (which appears to make Dak anxious when the plays dont develop).

75boyz

Reaction score
I just think it requires a bit of reading the tea leaves. I'd be interested in what people believe the answer to the below questions are:

I think it's complicated. It won't be anything obscure in terms of percentage, it's still going to be within NFL norms, But I do think we will see a lot more of Dak playing under center and utilization of 12 personnel on 1st and 2nd down. In that respect, pre-snap we will look like a run team.
I think there were a few fundamental differences that McCarthy wants to see changed. I think a big part of it will be that he wants to control the clock and support the defense a bit more. That means longer, more consistent drives that aren't so boom or bust. I also think he wants to clarify things a bit for Dak to reduce those interception numbers. I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch. I also think we will see Dak less of Dak playing out of shotgun and slinging it and more of him under center.
I think goes to the identity of what McCarthy wants to create. He recognizes that Dak isn't Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and never will be (not sure Moore did). Dak does however have strengths, it's just those strengths align more with a 2018-2020 Russell Wilson than they do the offense Kellen Moore runs. Hence the change to the OC that Russell Wilson had over that time.
We weren't just looking for a blocking TE, we were looking for someone that can receive the ball but also block in a variety of ways. I don't think we ever were looking at a guy like Kincaid because we aren't looking for our TE's to be a big receiver like Kelce. I think it comes back to Dak playing under center and our team's "run" philosophy. What we want is TE's that typically block before releasing. I think that fits Dak playing under center, along with both Ferguson (and his YAC ability) and Schoonmaker (with his downfield blocking) very well. I suspect we had three TE targets in the draft all at pick 59 (LaPorta, Musgrave, and Schoonmaker), and felt lucky to get one of them.
It was very clear we wanted a guard (Bergeron) by the War Room discussion but I think the type of guard was also very important. IMO we are only targeting guys that can pull, block at the second level, and with the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme. That is clearly Bergeron but very clearly NOT O'Cyrus Torrence. We went with Asim Richards who as a former left tackle could develop into what we are looking for, we already have Tyler Smith, Chuma Edoga, and Matt Farniok on the roster and to me, there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
  • Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think you draft Deuce Vaughn unless you have a specific plan. Again, I think we will see Dak play under center, and rather than have our RBs stay inside pass-protecting, we will see them running route and targeted in the screen game. I actually think Dak deals well with pressure up the middle and we are going to bait teams to blitz.
I think McCarthy simply wants that guy that can stretch the field. We saw Dk Metcalf do it for Seattle and while the polar opposite build to Cook that speed is required to really stretch the field.
This is very well written with sound speculative logic behind it.
I doubt the ability to adhere to the majority of it based on both the HC and QB1's pass first mentality history.
McCarthy in all his years of coaching has never run anything close to this kind of offense described.

So while I support every word you shared here, I will believe it when it is sustained throughout an entire season.

Whether it's the can't teach an old dog new tricks saying or some other similar cliche, I think patterns of behavior in people and especially coaches/athletes, are very hard to break.

I like my crow medium well if proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
Excellent post!

Couple of comments:

-Think MM wants to be able to play more complementry football. He saw this team blow big leads in the 2nd half of games.
-Team always targets athleticism and positional flex, Torrence has neither, don't believe he was a target at all.
-When the Cowboys offense was at it's best is when they were able to run the football and pass off of it. The screen game has always in a staple in MM offense, but was terrible under Moore. Think they want to force teams to play big personnel where they can exploit it. Schoon is a much better fit then Kincaid who is more of a big slot receiver.
-Vaughn is a weapon, you are right must have a distinct role in mind.
-Cooks was necessary as they could no longer count on Gallup to be able to stretch the field.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Team always targets athleticism and positional flex, Torrence has neither, don't believe he was a target at all.
I can't disagree with this but fundamentally the job is about moving the player in front of you. I saw OCT moving folks. I have a feeling the Bills are going to be pretty pleased we passed him to them.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
good post but a lot of tea reading lol
What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?............ No telling,I think mike just wanted to be OC and Play caller, and to do that ,
he had to say he would do things different than what kellen was. He didnt want to be fired, and if he was he wanted to be calling plays and be in total
charge of offense.
It worked, jerry got rid of kellen and now mike has a fresh start and is in charge of offense.

How will the offense be different? again no telling what actual changes we will see, just have to wait until we see some games.

What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?.........again no way to know this, or what will change or be the same.

Why Brian Shottenheimer?....... This is a guy he knows, and feels he can work with, and brian will be subservient to him.
What does this mean? again no way to know. I think he will just help mike make the changes he wants to make
and create the offense mike wants.

Why was Schoonmaker so highly valued?........ No way to know, was this the one mike wanted or the jones and mclay?
Could be for blocking or in general reasons. Main thing is they know shultz is gone, and they need
someone to be what he was, fill that hole.

Why Bergeron but not Torrence? ........ you may be right on this, but I dont think you can read much into this, they might have taken ocyrus,but
they wanted schoon and had to take him there or felt they did.
I found this interesting, "
there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
this suggests there has been no change in the type of guards they wont, so no difference whether kellen here or mike, they want same type guys.
That is odd to me, and somewhat telling.

Why Deuce Vaughn?......this was an emotional pick, and just a fun pick, and maybe he turns out good maybe not.
I dont think they picked him for any strategical reasons. He was a pet cat pick .

Why was Cooks so coveted?............ you could be right here, or jerry just wanted a "name" wr with a good price.

JOnes boys are not known for their logic or strategys lol, so the way I see it they were just shopping in FA and DRaft, same as usual.
There was no strategy in the picks, well maybe a little by mike or other coaches, like quinn.

When mike was hired, he had said jerry will buy the groceries, and I will coach them up!
I dont think that has changed much, although him and quinn have a voice in the draft , mainly lower rounds.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I can't disagree with this but fundamentally the job is about moving the player in front of you. I saw OCT moving folks. I have a feeling the Bills are going to be pretty pleased we passed him to them.
cowboys want guys who can get downfield and block, but most often the rb is downed at the los or behind it, so all that movement is useless.
Me I would want guys who can move and take out the DL, and let te's or rb deal with the lb or secondary..

and often times I see a guard not block a dl so he can get downfield to block a lb, and then that unblocked or chipped guy makes the tackle!
I think OC's today are too obsessed with downfield blocking, and just disregard what happens at the LOS.

75boyz

Reaction score
What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?............ No telling,I think mike just wanted to be OC and Play caller, and to do that ,
he had to say he would do things different than what kellen was. He didnt want to be fired, and if he was he wanted to be calling plays and be in total
charge of offense.
It worked, jerry got rid of kellen and now mike has a fresh start and is in charge of offense.

How will the offense be different? again no telling what actual changes we will see, just have to wait until we see some games.

What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?.........again no way to know this, or what will change or be the same.

Why Brian Shottenheimer?....... This is a guy he knows, and feels he can work with, and brian will be subservient to him.
What does this mean? again no way to know. I think he will just help mike make the changes he wants to make

Why was Schoonmaker so highly valued?........ No way to know, was this the one mike wanted or the jones and mclay?
Could be for blocking or in general reasons. Main thing is they know shultz is gone, and they need

Why Bergeron but not Torrence? ........ you may be right on this, but I dont think you can read much into this, they might have taken ocyrus,but

this suggests there has been no change in the type of guards they wont, so no difference whether kellen here or mike, they want same type guys.

Why Deuce Vaughn?......this was an emotional pick, and just a fun pick, and maybe he turns out good maybe not.
I dont think they picked him for any strategical reasons. He was a pet cat pick .

Why was Cooks so coveted?............ you could be right here, or jerry just wanted a "name" wr with a good price.

JOnes boys are not known for their logic or strategys lol, so the way I see it they were just shopping in FA and DRaft, same as usual.
There was no strategy in the picks, well maybe a little by mike or other coaches, like quinn.

When mike was hired, he had said jerry will buy the groceries, and I will coach them up!
I dont think that has changed much, although him and quinn have a voice in the draft , mainly lower rounds.
You and I share alot of the same beliefs.
Appreciate your post.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Really think they want to improve their screen game as well, a player like Torrence is a liability in that area.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Overall a good post.

For Schottenheimer, I think it's important to keep in mind that while he is a former QB, his biggest asset is in the run game, and this is where Dallas used him as a consultant last year. Aside from his last name this is really what has kept getting him chances in the NFL, and while inconsistent he's had some very effective rushing attacks as an OC. This complements MM very well who is known as more of a pass heavy guy. From that perspective at least on paper it's about as Dak friendly as it gets as Schottenheimer can basically be a secondary QB coach for Dak who should bring an upgrade in at least the scheme/philosophy of the run game....time will tell if the Cowboys have the players to really be improved there.

I'm assuming a lot here, but with the emphasis on the TE position I have to believe we see 2 TE sets frequently which brings more balance to the offense....not necessarily more run plays, but more formations that will keep defenses honest. Under KM who I think is a great play designer even the casual fan at home could guess run/pass tendencies more often than not. With all this said my guess is that this is more so Brian Schottenheimer's offense with MM basically running it on game day.

morasp

Reaction score
Guys like Torrence are a liability against quicker DTs let alone trying to block in space.

Overview
Broad guard prospect whose physical limitations are balanced by his feel for the job and ability to use his size in his favor. Torrence is not a natural bender. He is forced to engulf and push rather than leverage and drive as a run blocker, but he’s solid at neutralizing the man across from him. He uses his hands well to jab and maintain feel for the rush, but quick interior rushers with well-developed counters could be too much for his limited foot quickness to handle without help. He projects as a future starter for downhill offenses who covet size over athleticism.

Weaknesses
  • Somewhat indecisive when faced with pressure looks.
  • Struggles to effectively mirror athletic rushers.
  • Overextension in pass sets opens him to counters.
  • Unable to bend and create proper leverage into contact.
  • Heavy-legged lunger on the second level.
  • Very average production on double-team blocks.

DanA

Reaction score
charge of offense.

You are probably right but god I hope you are wrong.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Really think they want to improve their screen game as well, a player like Torrence is a liability in that area.
Yeah, I can see that. I would just prefer to put Tyler & OCT together & have the defense so afraid of getting bulldozed that they aren't concerned with the screens. But that is just me I guess.

JBS

Reaction score
LaPorta and Musgrave are receiving targets at TE. They’re not blocking

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah, I can see that. I would just prefer to put Tyler & OCT together & have the defense so afraid of getting bulldozed that they aren't concerned with the screens. But that is just me I guess.
I get it, but it is easier to stack the box, then it is dealing with lineman out in space.

Chuck 54

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think Kellen's offense had anything to do with Dak's interceptions. Dak has put in quite a number of years here in Dallas in that exact scheme and under Kellen as OC, yet interceptions were never a problem, not once, not even in big games at big moments, until this season. It was either an aberration, related to injuries, or we just didn't have the receivers and Mike didn't like that Kellen didn't adjust to that fact as the season went along. Even those who hate Dak as QB of the Cowboys never had anything to complain about regarding interceptions prior to this season.