Quick Trey Lance Breakdown

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Prior to his 3rd INT with five and a half minutes left in the game, Trey Lance was 25 of 37 for 236 yards, one TD, 2 INT's. He had also ran for 90 yards and a TD.

If Trey had been taken out of this preseason game at that point and replaced by a "last team", no-chance, soon-to-be-cut QB (like every other position), it would be a whole different story.

Speaking of which, how many QB's this preseason played every offensive down of an entire game? How many were as active in the running game?

Whether it was due to indecision or a practice squad O-line, Trey was forced to be very active. Did fatigue have something to do with Trey's performance at the end of the 4th quarter?

Up to the point of that 3rd INT, Trey's performance wasn't spectacular, but it was an improvement over the previous two in terms of pass distribution and dynamic running threat.

My timeline for Trey has always been the 2025 season. I figured, if they gave Tony Romo over three full seasons before his first NFL pass attempt then Lance would be given two.

Speaking of Tony Romo, it may have already been mentioned somewhere that he once threw 5 INT's in a single game. He was still the starter the following week.

Did Lance do enough to earn 2nd team? No.

Did he do enough to earn another season? I would say yes. However, I think there are contract dynamics at play.
I remember that game. Late season against the Bills in NY. Romo was terrible until late in the 4th, where he moved the ball and won the game. Fantastic game by the kicker btw.

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Is it?
This is still pre season. He has yet to play behind an NFL caliber OL. This last game he had to adjust to 3 different centers.
They dont game plan. His protections are basic. And the protection he gets is hit or miss. Plus they are trying to evaluate other players on offense as well.
I think the 1 thing he has done very well is to try and stay in the pocket. With his ability to run, it would he easier for him to have run more than he has.
Take everything you just said and switch it to the defense against him.

Running stats for QBs in the pre-season are meaningless. Defenses aren't even remotely thinking about stopping the qb from running. They are running specific plays to see who runs them correctly. Coordinators are not game plannning for any QB runs in the preseason.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He threw 5 INTs and could have easily had 2 more against a vanilla defense loaded with guys about to get cut. SF gave up on him in spite of having a huge amount of draft capitol invested. I think the burden of proof is on you not me! lol
I think Macarthy told him to be more aggressive. Basically like a practice. To increase his downfield attempts. No, it wasnt pretty but I dont think its indicative of how he'd play in a real game.
He does have a long way to go.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Interesting you mentioned Tebow because it is a good analogy.

I just differ with you in believing it isn't accuracy, but rather diagnosis and anticipation.

He can hits dots on the field. He is just looking at the dots too late or choosing the wrong dots.

I felt that was tebow's problem. He wasn't really a QB. Just an athlete. Is this Lance's problem?
Without knowing the plays and progressions its really hard to know where he should and shouldnt be going. Coverages dictate that as well.
I didnt see many passes that looked forced into coverage. I did see a lot of passes that were off target. High, behind etc.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
No. I don’t think most people do. I see him going through progressions just fine. Whether he’s reading them correctly or not or hesitating to throw the ball when he should is up for debate. But even in this breakdown the guy giving his analysis is just so obviously wrong, No one is open except the flat pass for a second where Trey isn’t even looking and by the time he throws it everyone is literally covered.
I dont listen to any of "the guys". They have no idea. And even the Kurt Warners and Romos of the world can only best guess based off experience. Which is probably pretty accurate. But route adjustments and reads can very greatly even if the formations are the same. As it should be.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Without knowing the plays and progressions its really hard to know where he should and shouldnt be going. Coverages dictate that as well.
I didnt see many passes that looked forced into coverage. I did see a lot of passes that were off target. High, behind etc.
Accept the 5 picks right?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Were you ever a QB or QB coach? In the NFL?
Im 50+++ years too and have seen my fair share of a lot of things. Most of them I would never to proclaim any sort of expertise on.

He definitely has NFL talent. The question is, can you correct his deficiencies. Accuracy being the most concerning and also the hardest to correct.
Blow it out you know where.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes I did. And I saw him under a lot of pressure.
Pressure wasn't that bad.

If you didn't see both good and bad, you simply didn't watch the game. And it was like a switch. He'd be great one series, slingin' the ball everywhere on a dime, and then the next he'd look lost and try to run the ball every play.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Pressure wasn't that bad.

If you didn't see both good and bad, you simply didn't watch the game. And it was like a switch. He'd be great one series, slingin' the ball everywhere on a dime, and then the next he'd look lost and try to run the ball every play.
I never said it was all good. And his accuracy is a concern that may never get corrected.

But it was a preseason game with a lot of interchanging parts. Can't blame that all on him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
One interception near mid field where the defender just took the ball away from the receiver.
I think that's the one you're talking about.
And that one wasn't the receiver's fault. Lance was under pressure, tried to give the receiver a chance, threw it a little high but catchable and the receiver just lost the 50/50 battle with the DB. It was a pass that he shouldn't have thrown, just like the one in this video.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
They don't have to be gadget. He can run the offense. Threat of his legs would dramatically influence defenses.
No it wouldn't.

Without the threat of a vertical passing game, defenses will just stack the box and eliminate that game. People talk about Lance like he's Lamar. He's not.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don't know how anyone can see that INT in the end zone and think this guy should see snaps in an NFL game on a competitive team.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Prior to his 3rd INT with five and a half minutes left in the game, Trey Lance was 25 of 37 for 236 yards, one TD, 2 INT's. He had also ran for 90 yards and a TD.

If Trey had been taken out of this preseason game at that point and replaced by a "last team", no-chance, soon-to-be-cut QB (like every other position), it would be a whole different story.

Speaking of which, how many QB's this preseason played every offensive down of an entire game? How many were as active in the running game?

Whether it was due to indecision or a practice squad O-line, Trey was forced to be very active. Did fatigue have something to do with Trey's performance at the end of the 4th quarter?

Up to the point of that 3rd INT, Trey's performance wasn't spectacular, but it was an improvement over the previous two in terms of pass distribution and dynamic running threat.

My timeline for Trey has always been the 2025 season. I figured, if they gave Tony Romo over three full seasons before his first NFL pass attempt then Lance would be given two.

Speaking of Tony Romo, it may have already been mentioned somewhere that he once threw 5 INT's in a single game. He was still the starter the following week.

Did Lance do enough to earn 2nd team? No.

Did he do enough to earn another season? I would say yes. However, I think there are contract dynamics at play.
Against Buffalo I believe. We won that game if I am not mistaken.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
No it wouldn't.

Without the threat of a vertical passing game, defenses will just stack the box and eliminate that game. People talk about Lance like he's Lamar. He's not.
You realize that against the Chargers we had 561 total yards, 30 first downs, 53% third down efficiency & 33% 4th down efficiency. This is a line from PFF's write up "Lance weaved in five interceptions with a flurry of big-time throws and a long touchdown run".

Regardless his shortcomings at this time, it's not fair to say that his presence wouldn't present the defense with additional stress.