Quinn Dilemma

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Quinn does a great job he is going to be considered for a HC position. Quinn doing a good job in Dallas more than likely means McCarthy's job is safe so one of the options for HC won't be in Dallas.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's likely to be the 1st guy hired
It will be his choice and he would like to be a head coach again
I'm sure he has learned what went wrong in his 1st stint.
some coaches never do AKA chubby on the sidelines

Majic

Reaction score
You may be right… but I also heard this last season and he came back to Dallas.

Nobody really knows. Some go on to be the head guy and some stay as a defensive coordinator for years and years.

Some try it as Head Coach, fail, and then stay as a DC for years.

Not everyone loves being a HC. We just don’t know which way Quinn is.

Would it have been different if he had been offered the Denver job?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He's likely to be the 1st guy hired
It will be his choice and he would like to be a head coach again
I'm sure he has learned what went wrong in his 1st stint.
some coaches never do AKA chubby on the sidelines
What makes you think that he’s likely to be the first guy hired?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
No need to worry. Quinn's expected to remain in Dallas 'for years to come' after agreeing to stay for 2022.

I hope and pray you're 100% correct. Since Quinn's arrival, as our DC, things have gone well.
I fear he's determined to be promoted, as our HC. I'm hoping it continues, undisturbed.:thumbup:
Jerry and Stephen would, quite likely be smart to pay him enough to stay on as our DC. :flagwave:
As we all know, Jerry and Stephen have a tendency to meddle with the duties of an HC. :omg:

Last edited:

Majic

Reaction score
Possibly. Possibly not.

That’s my point… we just don’t know.

Right now at the end of Week 2 if we had to make a prediction as to what happens mine would be. The Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 2023 is.......

Dan Quinn.

But as you know things can change very quickly

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Seems like this guy is in a great situation right. Lots of talent on this defense and being able to coach what some are saying a once in a lifetime talent in Micah Parsons. He also has Will McClay selecting groceries for him.

He supposedly failed at HC before...I do not know the environment/situation he accepted to head coach in though.

Is the money that much more as Head Coach? Is it an Ego thing? Alpha personality? Control Freak?

Why would the dude try and leave? I get acting like youre interested in other jobs to create leverage for a pay increase...but why doesnt Jerry just grease this guy so he stays?

I dont even know if I want him as Head Coach here. Just stay a damn DC.

My main question is...is this guy really entertaining HC jobs elsewhere? Or is it for show? Both?

He had multiple opportunities last year and turned them down. It's possibly they just weren't the right opportunities or it's possible that he enjoyed being here and the role he's playing. Some guys are just better coordinators than head coaches. Most don't realize that until several failed stops, but Quinn could be the exception. However, since he did take the Falcons to a Super Bowl as a head coach, I'm not sure that he would think he can't win it all as a head coach.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Right now at the end of Week 2 if we had to make a prediction as to what happens mine would be. The Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 2023 is.......

Dan Quinn.

But as you know things can change very quickly
Or very, very, very slowly in Dallas.

tromofan

Reaction score
Seems like this guy is in a great situation right. Lots of talent on this defense and being able to coach what some are saying a once in a lifetime talent in Micah Parsons. He also has Will McClay selecting groceries for him.

He supposedly failed at HC before...I do not know the environment/situation he accepted to head coach in though.

Is the money that much more as Head Coach? Is it an Ego thing? Alpha personality? Control Freak?

Why would the dude try and leave? I get acting like youre interested in other jobs to create leverage for a pay increase...but why doesnt Jerry just grease this guy so he stays?

My main question is...is this guy really entertaining HC jobs elsewhere? Or is it for show? Both?
Barring a deep playoff run, I think he will be HC next year. MM is on watch and he knows it. If they are .500 or worse at mid-season, JJ will make the change. I believe it's what the players and fan base want.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He had multiple opportunities last year and turned them down. It's possibly they just weren't the right opportunities or it's possible that he enjoyed being here and the role he's playing. Some guys are just better coordinators than head coaches. Most don't realize that until several failed stops, but Quinn could be the exception. However, since he did take the Falcons to a Super Bowl as a head coach, I'm not sure that he would think he can't win it all as a head coach.
Could be he didn't enjoy the added stress and time involved in being the HC.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What makes you think that he’s likely to be the first guy hired?
Offensive guys were all the rage for a while but I think guys like Brandon Staley have shown defensive guys can inspire players to leave their guts on the field.

people are gonna look at how hard the players play for him regardless of their pay grade.
It's a unique quality most coaches are lacking.
SEE Pillsbury dough boy

fivetwos

Reaction score
Said this days ago....

He knows he is in a good spot with Parsons to keep his name in the mix for the foreseeable future.

It's possible he wants to wait for his ideal job to open....maybe Seattle.

If he wanted just any HC job he would have it right now.

He is also probably Jerry's first choice if he can't get Payton.

75boyz

Reaction score

Nice post.

Would like him to stay as DC as well.

Don't know the answer to your questions but maybe the HC probably makes a good deal more than Coordinators.

But with Jerry, he could definitely close that gap to paying him "almost HC" money. Or that infamous Asst. Head Coach title.

My guess on your other questions is probably an ego driven thing. To be the top dawg of an entire NFL Football team and get his second chance at another trophy that he feels he should have won in the first opportunity he had.

That would be my guess on what would motivate him to be top dawg again.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
If the Dallas Cowboys defense continues to excel, Dan Quinn will become a coveted commodity. Success invites promotion. And what major sport loves ‘retreads’ more than the NFL?

Quinn WILL be a head coach again. He’s too talented NOT to be running some NFL team.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Quinn only backed out of Denver because of the uncertain ownership situation last offseason. He will probably go someplace else this offseason. Bummer, but you can’t hide talent in the NFL. Especially when Romo is banging the drum every time he gets one of our games.

Motorola

Reaction score

The Atlanta Falcons began the most successful run in franchise history when in 2008 Thomas Dimitroff, Mike Smith, and Matt Ryan came to the team as GM, HC, and QB
respectfully. Five consecutive winning seasons (Atlanta never had TWO STRAIGHT seasons in the previous 42 years) that culminated in an NFC Championship game appearance following the 2012 season. But two straight losing seasons in 2013 and 2014 were mainly attributed to coaching, so HC Smith was fired.

In 2015 Dan Quinn came aboard: his 1st season in Atlanta the team started 5-0, but then lost 8 of the remaining 11 games to finish .500.
The following season, Quinn in his second year coached the Falcons to the Super Bowl.
Then after a 2nd playoff year, the same downfall that happened to his predecessor came Quinn's way - two straight losing seasons (both 7-9).
In 2020, when the Falcons started 0-5, Quinn was immediately fired one third into his sixth season.
GM Dimitroff was also let go at that time.