Quinn Dilemma

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice post.

Would like him to stay as DC as well.

Don't know the answer to your questions but maybe the HC probably makes a good deal more than Coordinators.

But with Jerry, he could definitely close that gap to paying him "almost HC" money. Or that infamous Asst. Head Coach title.

My guess on your other questions is probably an ego driven thing. To be the top dawg of an entire NFL Football team and get his second chance at another trophy that he feels he should have won in the first opportunity he had.

That would be my guess on what would motivate him to be top dawg again.
Like I said earlier, he could be the HC here, just oriented toward the defense while the OC takes care of the offense.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I’m guessing Jerry will not let DQ leave...make him highest paid DC in history or head coach or if MM is still around...maybe associate head coach or whatever title he can come up with....just don't let him walk

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
You may be right… but I also heard this last season and he came back to Dallas.

Nobody really knows. Some go on to be the head guy and some stay as a defensive coordinator for years and years.

Some try it as Head Coach, fail, and then stay as a DC for years.

Not everyone loves being a HC. We just don’t know which way Quinn is.
Especially when that DC has a generational type of talent on defense and an owner willing to write blank checks.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Unless McCarthy shows us something big this year that he hasn’t shown to this point, meaning we make it to the conference game and play well in it, no more rotten eggs, McCarthy will be gone. Personally, I think Quinn would be a front runner, along with Sean Payton, to be head coach right here.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Right now at the end of Week 2 if we had to make a prediction as to what happens mine would be. The Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys in 2023 is.......

Dan Quinn.

But as you know things can change very quickly
Yes they do. Nothing would surprise me with Quinn. Coach defense here, coach whole team here, or HC elsewhere.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Offensive guys were all the rage for a while but I think guys like Brandon Staley have shown defensive guys can inspire players to leave their guts on the field.

people are gonna look at how hard the players play for him regardless of their pay grade.
It's a unique quality most coaches are lacking.
SEE Pillsbury dough boy
Thanks for answering.

erod

Reaction score
The options are:

1. Keep McCarthy and lose Quinn.

2. Make Quinn hear coach and let him choose a new DC.

3. Hire Payton and lose Quinn and first-round draft picks.

75boyz

Reaction score
The options are:

2. Make Quinn hear coach and get him choose a new DC.

What about Jerry's Garrett Part II project aka Kellen Moore?

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
He will want to be a head coach again, probably next season. The Patriots SB comeback must hurt him. His stock has already risen further since the off season.
Very likely this is his last year as DC here
While I agree with you, there is something that he will strongly consider. Teams that will need head coaches are generally bad teams. They hire a new head coach and expect him to work miracles and only give a short time to get things fixed or they move on the next one. I personally think that if Jerry decides to move on from McCarthy after this season, the job is Quinn's if he wants it. I think the Sean Payton talk is just that, talk.

quickccc

Reaction score
Quinn only backed out of Denver because of the uncertain ownership situation last offseason. He will probably go someplace else this offseason. Bummer, but you can’t hide talent in the NFL. Especially when Romo is banging the drum every time he gets one of our games.

Ironically the first half of last year's '21 season.. the drum was banging for OC Kellen Moore to be a possible McCarthy replacement.

But how the 2nd half of the season, per ex-Denver HC Vic Fangio's defensive blueprint exposed and put the absolute entire Kubosh on any Kellen HC interest.

Didn't Kellen only get one post-season HC interview ?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If we play like this all year, he'll be a HC....here or elsewhere. Al Harris will be our next DC.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
No need to worry. Quinn's expected to remain in Dallas 'for years to come' after agreeing to stay for 2022.
He did interveiw for a couple of HC gigs last year if I remember correctly.
So I don't really know what his intentions are.
I would move on from Mac and make Quinn HC here if we had too to keep him.

Majic

Reaction score
While I agree with you, there is something that he will strongly consider. Teams that will need head coaches are generally bad teams. They hire a new head coach and expect him to work miracles and only give a short time to get things fixed or they move on the next one. I personally think that if Jerry decides to move on from McCarthy after this season, the job is Quinn's if he wants it. I think the Sean Payton talk is just that, talk.

Couldn't agree more.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dan Quinn would be dumb to not take a HC role. For one, it's a huge raise for most coordinators. It's not uncommon for a HC to earn triple what his coordinators do. And for another, second bites at the HC apple don't come around often. The league is becoming more and more hesitant to retread head coaches (a positive move in my opinion). So a HC job is not only a huge promotion, it's a promotion opportunity that rarely happens, and you have to strike while the iron is hot.

That being said, I don't really think Quinn is that good of a coach. He is competent, but he's not a game changer.

When he is given talented defenses like the Legion of Boom, or the surprisingly well-stocked current Cowboys squad, he looks good. But in Atlanta, he never had better than average talent on defense, and he never delivered better than average results. He is a competent whiteboard guy who switches up his defense and is willing to fit his talent to the scheme, but he's no Belichick. And he looks like a motivator now when times are good - the Cowboys players clearly love him - but he failed in a CEO role in Atlanta when times were bad. And that was after he was stripped of playcalling duties.

I'd like to see Quinn as the HC in Dallas... he's got a good thing going on this defense. He likes these players, they like him, they're succeeding, let's keep that ball rolling. And McCarthy is a total fraud.

But if you pointed Quinn towards a coaching-carousel job like say the Jets or the Panthers and said "turn this team around in 3 years", I don't think he's that guy to do that. He'd be smart to take a shot at it, but I wouldn't expect him to succeed.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
.....Quinn looks to be of honest nature. He had at least 3 HC opportunites during off season.

He decided to stick around. WHy?

There's potential of winning championship in Dallas.

HAHAHA.

You made my day. Thanks for that!

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Quinn will be our next HC. Barring a super bowl, I see no scenario where MM is back next year.
The options are:

2. Make Quinn hear coach and let him choose a new DC.

Option 2 please.

erod

Reaction score
Dan Quinn would be dumb to not take a HC role. For one, it's a huge raise for most coordinators. It's not uncommon for a HC to earn triple what his coordinators do. And for another, second bites at the HC apple don't come around often. The league is becoming more and more hesitant to retread head coaches (a positive move in my opinion). So a HC job is not only a huge promotion, it's a promotion opportunity that rarely happens, and you have to strike while the iron is hot.

That being said, I don't really think Quinn is that good of a coach. He is competent, but he's not a game changer.

When he is given talented defenses like the Legion of Boom, or the surprisingly well-stocked current Cowboys squad, he looks good. But in Atlanta, he never had better than average talent on defense, and he never delivered better than average results. He is a competent whiteboard guy who switches up his defense and is willing to fit his talent to the scheme, but he's no Belichick. And he looks like a motivator now when times are good - the Cowboys players clearly love him - but he failed in a CEO role in Atlanta when times were bad. And that was after he was stripped of playcalling duties.

I'd like to see Quinn as the HC in Dallas... he's got a good thing going on this defense. He likes these players, they like him, they're succeeding, let's keep that ball rolling. And McCarthy is a total fraud.

But if you pointed Quinn towards a coaching-carousel job like say the Jets or the Panthers and said "turn this team around in 3 years", I don't think he's that guy to do that. He'd be smart to take a shot at it, but I wouldn't expect him to succeed.
Quinn has to be careful with his next move though. Coaches rarely get a third job. He won't take a HC job to have one like the first time. Pieces need to be in place.

I hope he's patient here until Jerry screws up and hires Payton, which will be a disaster.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score

It's almost as if coaches need talented players to be truly successful. Who woulda thunk it?