Twitter: Quinn on defense: We're deep and we're going to roll hard

NotForLong

Reaction score
The Cowboys are a very good team. They will have double digit wins. I am so excited to see them play this season. Especially on defense. They are a very deep team. They management has done an excellent job in putting the team together. They need to come on strong and get the first 2 wins at home and then beat the Giants on the road. They have the team and the coaching to do it.
I agree with this assessment and they should be successful . . . but what if they are not?

Who will take the blame?
Jerry
Kellen
O-Line
Wr
Or Dak

Or will it be all of the above except for Dak? . . . Will the consensus be only sympathy for Dak . . . Just curious

I for one feel like Lamb & Tyler will be setup as the Fall Guys . . . Its gonna be a long season

NotForLong

Reaction score
The next challenge for this defence is to be able to manage the game when playing against a wily vet like Tom Brady.

If he sees excessive rotation on the DL, then I would not be surprised to see him go to a "hurry up" offence and stop the Cowboys from making substitutions.

The team has to be prepared for those QBs who are almost like offensive coordinators on the field. They can make play calls while coming up to the line and run our players down.

When people ask what an elite QB is . . . Man I wish we had one of those

NotForLong

Reaction score
Quinn is okay , but why does Kellen have a job !?
Because he managed to have the 1# ranked offense in the league dispute having Dak as the QB . . Huge accomplishment with such a limited QB . . . That can't throw an accurate slant or back shoulder.

Really limits which plays you can call

NotForLong

Reaction score
This defense has the potential to be elite. Time will tell if it plays out that way. Still have to prove to me that they can stop the run. If you can’t stop the run, you won’t get far.
Barr will help immensely in that area

CapnB

Reaction score
I think this defense will be top 5 all year. Nelly G. is going to be huge in the middle of us this year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those were bold words by a confident DC! Surely, a true one, to be sure!
We have the defensive talent and the depth to challenge any team. :flagwave:

Dan Quinn and his players are intent upon challenging any team in sight.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Let’s get after it. I see some roughing the passer calls coming. But let’s see how many holding flags will be thrown from them holding our D-Line.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deep was that 90’s team but by today’s standard, he may be into something. What teams can you say are deep at anything?

The one thing that hasn’t changed is that depth is directly dependent on drafting and stringing several good ones together.

I would agree with Quinn, especially if he’s comparing that to the offense.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Mosley went to the Seahawks.

Everyone wants Quinn's castoffs.

I do think the only problem with having a deep defense is that it might mean we're lacking in top-end talent. I mean, none of the defensive tackles has proven to be a game-changer. We don't know how the pass rushers outside of Lawrence and Parsons will provide. Many of us have been trying to bench Brown for years (although he did play pretty well last year). The only group I think is completely proven is the top three linebackers, but Barr is new and LVE has been up and down ... and both have had some injury issues.

Still with all those questions, based on last year, I think we should have a top 10 defense, just not elite unless some of those questions are answered positively.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Bucs
Bills
Broncos
49ers

The Bucs and Broncos were not top 4 defenses last year, the other placements Dallas would be sharing in the top 5. Why do you feel all the other superior defenses are taking such a drastic fall this year to allow 3 new entries?

The problem with just making blanket statements like this is context is rarely considered.

New Orleans has beaten Tampa 4 times the last 2 seasons. With Brees, with Jameis, and without either. They did this because they smothered Tom with their D. Held him to offensive trite. They are not a top 5 D.

La Rams did to Tom in the playoffs last year, he had 3 points through 2.5 quarters… what Denver did to Dak and the #1 offense. They are not a top 5 D.

By saying the great Nevill Gallimore and a linebacker you signed in August that no one wanted make Dallas better than them, how badly are you blowing out Tampa week 1? Tom will get what… 6-7 points? Maybe 13-17 at best vs this top 5 D?

Cincinnati’s unbelievable pass rush carried them to the SB with no Oline. Green Bay had an awesome defense last year and added 2 1st round defenders from the national champions. Dallas will just lap all these teams, because why? Sam Williams in his backup role?

Last edited:

32BellyOption

Reaction score
The Bucs and Broncos were not top 4 defenses last year, the other placements Dallas would be sharing in the top 5. Why do you feel all the other superior defenses are taking such a drastic fall this year to allow 3 new entries?

The problem with just making blanket statements like this is context is rarely considered.

New Orleans has beaten Tampa 4 times the last 2 seasons. With Brees, with Jameis, and without either. They did this because they smothered Tom with their D. Held him to offensive trite. They are not a top 5 D.

La Rams did to Tom in the playoffs last year, he had 3 points through 2.5 quarters… what Denver did to Dak and the #1 offense. They are not a top 5 D.

By saying the great Nevill Gallimore and a linebacker you signed in August that no one wanted make Dallas better than them, how badly are you blowing out Tampa week 1? Tom will get what… 6-7 points? Maybe 13-17 at best vs this top 5 D?

Cincinnati’s unbelievable pass rush carried them to the SB with no Oline. Green Bay had an awesome defense last year and added 2 1st round defenders from the national champions. Dallas will just lap all these teams, because why? Sam Williams in his backup role?

Year two in Quinn’s scheme. Players know the scheme better and he knows his players better. It’s not the additions to the personnel for me but rather the personnel we have getting better. I do think Barr is a big addition and love our secondary. And then there’s Micah. His presence makes everyone around him better. Finally, add a weak schedule playing in a weak division and there’s reason to believe this defense takes the next step. But we shall see. Just my opinion and I hope I’m right.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

Aren't you an eagle fan? Why are you so invested in what we think?